Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread - Page 112

post #1666 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post
 

Well, just want to pop in and say hi, just got a new HD700 in on a hell of a deal.  I haven't started any kind of burn in process, but initial listening has put a huge smile on my face, the one that comes from knowing you're going to be happy with this relationship.  I've enjoyed a few headphones, but this one created excitement putting them on.  It reminds me of the first time I tried out the HD 558... my eyes closed, I listened to the music, and before I knew it I was smiling.  Sadly never ended up buying the HD558, got the 598 instead, which never managed to get that same reaction out of me.
 

I have the feeling I'm going to be neglecting a lot of hardware from this point on.

 

I'm curious as to what price would be deemed quite fair for the HD700.

 

Can I ask what amp you're using with this?

post #1667 of 2084
$310 new and shipped is what I paid, just listening to it out of a Fiio X3 for now.

I can't imagine anyone else will be finding it at that price anytime soon, tho.
Edited by Saoshyant - 5/7/14 at 8:55pm
post #1668 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

$310 new and shipped is what I paid, just listening to it out of a Fiio X3 for now.

I can't imagine anyone else will be finding it at that price anytime soon, tho.

Holy!?!?!?!

 

How'd you manage that price? That's amazing.

post #1669 of 2084
Apparently it was due to J&R going out of business. Didn't even trust that I was getting what I ordered until it arrived, found out later about J&R
post #1670 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

$310 new and shipped is what I paid

 

That means the margin for those is absolutely insane. You'd figure these companies might want to field these products at a price to encourage purchase, but I guess not. Sennheiser most certainly doesn't.

post #1671 of 2084

I must admit, so far this headphone can handle every type of music I've thrown at it.  I'm not going to throw anything like Noisia, but just about everything else I've tried has worked qutie well on these.  I must admit...  this really makes me want to buy a real amp/dac so I can really enjoy them.  My only apprehension is I like portable solutions so I can listen anywhere without concern...  time for some hardware consideration.

post #1672 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVass13 View Post
 

That's it?  I thought you had the 580's too...

 

I have the HD 419 and MM 50s also, but meh.  The 580s belong to Jason (lord_tris).  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientexpat View Post
 

Anyone try the Vali with the HD700? 

 

Or is the Magni a better option (just thought that may spike the treble even more?).

 

I have.  It's okay.  Vali > Magni.  I hear a tinny (tin ny) sound of the Magni no matter what headphone I use with it and if I had to suggest either one, I'd pick the Vali every time.  More or less, it's like the Magni without as much tinny to it.

post #1673 of 2084

So, I'm kind of curious what is recommended for an entry level dac/amp combo for the HD700.  I know the modi + vali or magni combo is popular and inexpensive.  I could substitute the amp section for a Fiio E12, which has some decent power and also gives portability.  Some people say the inexpensive sabre dacs like the Hifimediy is good as well.  There is also the combo route with something like an Aune T1.  Any suggestions?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

If it helps, I like how it sounds on a Fiio X3, but given how much my initial impressions of the headphone are favorable, I kind of want to try movies and such with it...  and my computer's soundcard just sounded lackluster, which is a soundblaster x-fi hd.  I bought it a few years back when I started actually paying attention to headphones, but didn't have anything that was anywhere close to demanding to drive.


Edited by Saoshyant - 5/8/14 at 5:07pm
post #1674 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrentine View Post
 

 

That means the margin for those is absolutely insane. You'd figure these companies might want to field these products at a price to encourage purchase, but I guess not. Sennheiser most certainly doesn't.

Well it depends... going out of sale sales can have items sold at a loss. Also, it's not surprising at all... a lot of cost is R&D, not actual production of the headphones. And it's business 101 to sell at perceived market value, not the cost of manufacturing.

 

Whatever Sennheiser feels is the best combination of profit per headphone, sales volume and perceived status.

post #1675 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post
 

So, I'm kind of curious what is recommended for an entry level dac/amp combo for the HD700.  I know the modi + vali or magni combo is popular and inexpensive.  I could substitute the amp section for a Fiio E12, which has some decent power and also gives portability.  Some people say the inexpensive sabre dacs like the Hifimediy is good as well.  There is also the combo route with something like an Aune T1.  Any suggestions?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

If it helps, I like how it sounds on a Fiio X3, but given how much my initial impressions of the headphone are favorable, I kind of want to try movies and such with it...  and my computer's soundcard just sounded lackluster, which is a soundblaster x-fi hd.  I bought it a few years back when I started actually paying attention to headphones, but didn't have anything that was anywhere close to demanding to drive.

 

You can use the Fiio X3 as a plugged in USB dac and amp. http://www.fiio.com.cn/news/index.aspx?ID=100000110684794

 

From there you can use Foobar on your computer, and also watch movies through things like VLC with its dac/amp active. Hope this information helps.

post #1676 of 2084
I'm currently using the beta firmware, and every time I've tried installing the USb DAC firmware, it fails.

Plus I'd enjoy seeing what more juice does to the hd700
post #1677 of 2084

Fair enough. I don't have a HD700 but I've heard it for an hour - entry Audio GD amps are not too bad with the HD700 Wolfsons for them - warmer amps to be sure.

 

I have my X3 working as a dac/amp fine, but I find it to lack soundstage somewhat and I guess what you might consider dynamics. Not fair comparing the WA7 and M1 to it though really.

post #1678 of 2084
I'm kind of tempted to try the Aune T1, and try out a promising looking tube. Or there is the tried and true schiit stacks, or any number of other combinations.... Kind of overwhelming
post #1679 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_wizzie View Post
 

Well it depends... going out of sale sales can have items sold at a loss. Also, it's not surprising at all... a lot of cost is R&D, not actual production of the headphones. And it's business 101 to sell at perceived market value, not the cost of manufacturing.

 

Whatever Sennheiser feels is the best combination of profit per headphone, sales volume and perceived status.

 

The problem is that Sennheiser's prices have shot through the roof in the last couple years alone. Look at the HD600,  $400 is just absurd. When $1500 headphones like the HD800 go on sale at $700/$800 it shows that something is horribly wrong in the standard pricing structure. 

post #1680 of 2084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

I'm kind of tempted to try the Aune T1, and try out a promising looking tube. Or there is the tried and true schiit stacks, or any number of other combinations.... Kind of overwhelming

 

I can't help but think the aune T1 looks really cheesy. I'd get a schiit stack. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread