Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread - Page 12

post #166 of 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

However I have heard that the FR is extremely unnatural and steely. Can someone clarify this?
[...]
Hello?

The hd700   have lot of treble peaks:

- it can be fatiguing, and even induce trinnitus for some people

- it can give a fake sense of  "more" details

- treble can sound harsh

- can still sound more "exciting" on some tracks, and depending of people taste

- so much treble peaks as such price, is a blasphemy for some.

That's surprising when  you compare with the very smooth treble of hd800.

If you enjoy treble peaks, it seems you can spend less on other headphones, such like grados.


Edited by extrabigmehdi - 9/16/12 at 2:57pm
post #167 of 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

However I have heard that the FR is extremely unnatural and steely. Can someone clarify this?
[...]
Hello?

The hd700   have lot of treble peaks:

- it can be fatiguing, and even induce trinnitus for some people

- it can give a fake sense of  "more" details

- treble can sound harsh

- can still sound more "exciting" on some tracks, and depending of people taste

- so much treble peaks as such price, is a blasphemy for some.

That's surprising when  you compare with the very smooth treble of hd800.

If you enjoy treble peaks, it seems you can spend less on other headphones, such like grados.

The HD800 doesn't have smooth treble... it has a huge treble spike. Higher-end Grados like the RS2i and the GS-1000i have smooth treble.

 

The HD700 was purported to FIX the treble spike of the HD800, and... they added more... spikes... fail senn, fail.

 

And actually, I was referring to the extreme dip in the mids that makes it sound unnatural, like it was dipped on purpose.

post #168 of 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

The HD800 doesn't have smooth treble... it has a huge treble spike.


The spike is not too abrupt, edgy,  what I  meant.

Anyways it sounds smooth to me.
 

Quote:
And actually, I was referring to the extreme dip in the mids that makes it sound unnatural, like it was dipped on purpose.

Hum, ok. But it seems that the main concern was on treble area.

 

edit:

the measurements from purrin doesn't match the ones from headroom.

The purrin measurements show a night and day difference in the treble, while it's not the case on headroom.

 

 

versus:

 


Edited by extrabigmehdi - 9/16/12 at 4:35pm
post #169 of 1845

There has been a lot of bad press with the HD700.  I'm pretty sensitive to treble harshness and I find the HD700 to be smooth and quite enjoyable.  It's dark and bright at the same time but it seems to work for me.  Very little is said about its bass which I find tight, deep and impactful.  Although I love mine, I find it a hard recommendation and all I can say is find a place where you can give it a good long audition and then decide.  It really went over well at the last HeadFi meet I was at. 


Edited by MickeyVee - 9/16/12 at 4:38pm
post #170 of 1845

Guys,

 

I was wondering if anyone one of you over here have used the HD 700 with a RSA Raptor? I know the HD 800 goes with it, so is my current 650. But I can't afford the former, and the latter does not have the soundstage I'd like. I'm looking to move up now.

 

Any ideas?

post #171 of 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

The HD800 doesn't have smooth treble... it has a huge treble spike.


The spike is not too abrupt, edgy,  what I  meant.

Anyways it sounds smooth to me.
 

Quote:
And actually, I was referring to the extreme dip in the mids that makes it sound unnatural, like it was dipped on purpose.

Hum, ok. But it seems that the main concern was on treble area.

 

edit:

the measurements from purrin doesn't match the ones from headroom.

The purrin measurements show a night and day difference in the treble, while it's not the case on headroom.

 

<snip>

 

Different equipment will measure differently, and every set is going to be a little bit different from the rest.

post #172 of 1845

Hey guys, just got my 700s today and am currently running them through my Fiio e10....clearly this needs to change.

 

Now, I don't have an unlimited budget but still want something thats going to mesh with these 'phones.  I've been looking at the Schiit Asgard and Valhalla, but am pretty torn between the two.  Either would be getting the source from the Fiio for awhile, but I feel like these could use some more power than they're getting right now.  Have done lots of searching, but nothing really came up for this amp combo.

 

Thanks!

post #173 of 1845

The HD700 really don't need that much, i.e. gobs of power.  I use my HD700 with either an Audioquest Dragonfly or a Schiit stack (Bifrost/Lyr) and enjoy both setups.  I think that either the Asgard or Valhalla would be great from a power perspective.  Before you don anything, give the HD700 a hundred hours or so to burn in and more importantly, for you to get accustomed to them. Then check out the Schiit threads for the differences between the two and the sound signature you're after. I'm actually thinking of giving the Asgard a try.

I assume the E10 would be an interim measure until you can get a DAC that would do the HD700 justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post

Hey guys, just got my 700s today and am currently running them through my Fiio e10....clearly this needs to change.

 

Now, I don't have an unlimited budget but still want something thats going to mesh with these 'phones.  I've been looking at the Schiit Asgard and Valhalla, but am pretty torn between the two.  Either would be getting the source from the Fiio for awhile, but I feel like these could use some more power than they're getting right now.  Have done lots of searching, but nothing really came up for this amp combo.

 

Thanks!


Edited by MickeyVee - 10/9/12 at 8:00pm
post #174 of 1845

Long term I like the idea of the Schiit Amp/Dac combo,both aesthetically and sonically from my reading, but I guess I'll let them settle in for awhile and see where I want to take the sound from there.

 

Thanks!  If you do get an asgard be sure to let us know how it pairs!

post #175 of 1845

Are any after market cables available for these yet?  If not has anyone thought about hard wiring them?

post #176 of 1845

^ Toxic Cables makes an after market cable

post #177 of 1845
post #178 of 1845

Whelp, Schiit asgard on the way, pretty excited for it!  No i'm eyeing up the Arcam rDac to replace the Fiio...any of you guys have experience with how that pairs with the 700s?

post #179 of 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Are any after market cables available for these yet?  If not has anyone thought about hard wiring them?

There's not much point in that, unless Sennheiser totally cheaped out on the stock cable. 

 

Plus, though unrelated, balanced is impossible due to the way the detachment on the HD700 works. 

post #180 of 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

There's not much point in that, unless Sennheiser totally cheaped out on the stock cable. 

 

Plus, though unrelated, balanced is impossible due to the way the detachment on the HUD700 works. 

 

 

No point?  Well, I think it is.  All my amps are balanced.  Also my preference.  Both sounds good to me.  

 

How about hard wiring?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread