How much does the AKG 812 cost on a good day?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week Last post on 8/9/14 at 2:55am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- The Ugly Headphone Duckling Last post on 9/17/12 at 9:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD700 Listening. Last post on 9/8/14 at 4:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mini-Review: Shure SRH1840 Last post on 8/1/13 at 3:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Got this earphones for the sole purpose of working out/biking. Tested out multiple sports headsets (similarly priced), from sennheiser and bose. They tend to sound better, especially than the...
Overall a great little card. Dolby headphone is amazing I preferred this card to my Sound Blaster Z, I sold that card when I needed a bit of money and bought this one to replace it for cheap and I...
I was in the market for a higher end 2.1 system when my search ended up at the Edifier website, I was impressed with the specs and decided to delve further, found a set at a nice price and pulled...
These are, without a doubt, the best In Ear Monitors that I own / have owned. Let me say that I purchased the pink color because it was far less expensive, less than $40. I purchased my pair from...
I am penning down my opinion about the QLS QA360 Digital Audio Player. I will try to keep this review simple as possible and I hope it would be easy to read, and will help fellow enthusiasts...
Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread - Page 101
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1502 of 25183/11/14 at 11:43ampost #1503 of 25183/13/14 at 1:43ampost #1504 of 25183/13/14 at 12:18pm
A lot of people, including myself, like the Lyr with the HD 700, but I have read somewhere that even Schiit recommends the Valhalla with it. Don't quote me on that last part, though.post #1505 of 25183/13/14 at 4:35pm
The only thing I know is I asked them about low impedance phones once and they told me the Valhalla was 'quieter' than the Lyr and therefore better in terms of background noise. The 700 is kind of an in between phone, not really low or high.post #1506 of 25183/13/14 at 6:51pm
Both are good. Schiit recommends the Valhalla for the HD700 because it's cheaper than the Lyr.post #1507 of 25183/13/14 at 8:42pmpost #1508 of 25183/13/14 at 8:57pmQuote:
Yes I owned both. In fact, I sold the HD700 shortly after acquiring the HE-500. Things I liked about the HD700 more was the overall signature and the soundstaging. The one major thing I had against the HD700 was I found it to be a definite level below the HE-500 and even T90 in refinement. I found the HD700 veiled in comparison. I did also like the bass on the HD700 when paired with the WA7 with upgrade tubes, and that was my reason for keeping it. However, the HE-500 was even better in the bass, especially when driven by a speaker amp like the Emotiva MiniX. And so I sold the HD700.
Now I have the HD800 and I find it an improvement across the board compared to the HD700, other than perhaps stock signature. The level of refinement on the HD800 is even better than the HE-500. Also with proper amping, the bass is not too shabby. Hence, I'm selling my HE-500 currently. Had the HD700 had even the HE-500 level of refinement, I may have preferred it over the HE-500 because I did like the tonality and signature of the HD700. I recently also acquired the AKG K812 and found the signature to be similar to the HD700, if memory serves me correct. Except it has a refinement level near that of the HD800. I feel the K812 is what the HD700 should have been, with better refinement.post #1509 of 25183/14/14 at 3:30ampost #1510 of 25183/14/14 at 8:22ampost #1511 of 25183/14/14 at 8:50amSome major differences in my mind between the hd700 and he-500 are:
Bass: he-500 has more texture and SLIGHTLY lower extension, the hd700 was just a bit dryer which led to less texture but has a bit more punch.
Mids: both have great mids, but the he-500 has more of a lush liquid quality being an ortho, while the hd700 was again just a bit more dry.
Treble: he-500 is a extended but never piercing or harsh, while the hd700 has a spike that wasn't bad to my ears, but was detectable when a/b testing the two phones. The he500 still has just a hair of the tizzy factor that i don't like about the he-400s.
Presentation: soundstage and imaging were similar to my ears, the only real factor to consider was that the hd700 had a better center image, while the he-500 was more seperated between the l/r stereo channels.
two things stick out in my mind as being overall differentiating qualities of these two phones. 1- he-500 is more liquid and lush while hd700 is more dry. This makes the hd700 sound cleaner at times, but less musical and more boring. 2. the hd700 is more aggressive and impactful and punchy, while the he-500 is more laid back and distant.post #1512 of 25183/18/14 at 5:15pmQuote:
Finally got my HD700s back from Sennheiser, finally..... as they were sent in 1/21/14.
Interestingly they appear much brighter tonally from what I remember as Sennheiser needed to order new matched drivers as the first had about 3dB mismatch in volume.
Now it might be a matter of break-in, as I seem to recall I did not immediately warm up to my HD700 originally until after a few days of continual use and finally settled down at about 50 hours.
But just checking the drivers I noticed that they are stamped 23 and 24 in the center of the dome, and wondering if this indicates consecutive runs and if they are from an earlier batch therefore 1, 2, 3, etc as most early adopters seem have to found the HD700s bright while later users like myself didn’t as with my original drivers.
It may be just be my imagination about the tonal differences between these and my original drivers but if anyone cares to take a look and report back it would be interesting.
Unfortunately I did not pay much attention to my original drivers numerical embosses.
Edited by Rob80b - 3/18/14 at 8:26pmpost #1513 of 25183/18/14 at 6:09pm
I can barely see a 24 on one side, and clearly see what I could guess is a date code of 08.03.12
I cannot see a digit on the other side, but do see the same 08.03.12 there.
I bought mine when they were first released.post #1514 of 25183/18/14 at 6:35pmQuote:
Thanks Eee Ree
Didn't realize there was also a date code, I'll need to take another look but it's enlightening that you also have a # 24.
Getting back to the tonal differences I now pervceive with regards to brightness, I do not mean it in a negative way and I should of mentioned it was in comparison to my HD580/600s when I did my original tests way back when.
Giving it further thought a 3dbs imbalance in volume between the original drivers would have made huge difference in perceived tonal balance and it is only now that with matched drivers that the HD700s are finally revealing their true brightness and clarity.
Also now that both drivers have equal output the other obvious change is that there is even more bass, which I remember was already previously stronger and deeper than my HD580/600s.post #1515 of 25183/18/14 at 6:47pmQuote:
Ok, checked the other #s printed on the Mylar or what ever they use on the original sheets before forming the driver membrane and mine are 23 10 12.
For those checking the date code it may not be obvious as part of the numbers may extend onto the ribbing.
- Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 27 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 33 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06A - A New Winner 54 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family! 1 minute ago
- › PS1000e vs LCD-3 vs HE-560? 2 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Xduoo Amplifiers 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 8 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by BenKatz
- › Asus Xonar DGX by TsukiNick
- › Edifier S730 by Croozer
- › Velodyne vPulse In-Ear Headphones (Classic Black) by spinnin
- › QLS QA360 Portable HiFi Lossless Music Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by psblend
- › Meier Audio Corda Classic by longbowbbs
- › Klipsch Image S4i II Black In-Ear Headphones with Microphone by laurentiusjan
- › Audio Technica ATH-AD700 by witygass
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones, Black by Nocturnal310
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)