or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread - Page 68

post #1006 of 7119

Actually the gap between a DAC and cables is pretty big too IMO. Then again I don't put much stock in cables. ;) 

 

Power I definitely believe in though.

post #1007 of 7119
A good DAC should be designed to be transparent, so a good DAC is a good DAC, for me it makes no sense to spend too much for a DAC, even with a headphone such as HD700.
Then you might want to find a colored amp to slightly customized the sound of the HD 700
post #1008 of 7119
Not sure if this was posted yet anywhere, or where here on the forums this should be posted.
Posted here at this forum because I subscribe to this Sennheiser thread.

FYI Sennheiser at 2014 CES

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sennheiser-unveils-goodies-ces-2014/
post #1009 of 7119

That was disappointing.

No real audiophile sets.

post #1010 of 7119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easylistening View Post

Not sure if this was posted yet anywhere, or where here on the forums this should be posted.
Posted here at this forum because I subscribe to this Sennheiser thread.

FYI Sennheiser at 2014 CES

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sennheiser-unveils-goodies-ces-2014/

Well, it doesn't mention any audiophile headphones, let alone HD700's or anything relating to HD700's so....thanks?

post #1011 of 7119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easylistening View Post

Not sure if this was posted yet anywhere, or where here on the forums this should be posted.
Posted here at this forum because I subscribe to this Sennheiser thread.

FYI Sennheiser at 2014 CES

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sennheiser-unveils-goodies-ces-2014/


It has been posted, and there's really nothing of importance there. Unless you're in the market for a gaming headset or a different color Momentum. Was hoping for the HD 659 or HD 750 :tongue_smile:

post #1012 of 7119

I recently demoed the HD 700 and almost immediately rushed out to purchase one for myself. It's amp and dac decision time. Here's some of the details I'm looking at.

 

  • Will be running the HD 700 off of my home computer.
  • Currently have a Fiio E09K and E07K that is running my HD 600, HE-400, and SR325is.
  • Will need preouts since I use an external 2.1 system from time to time.
  • Not looking to change the signature very much. Just power it properly.
  • 1/4 in input
  • Flexibility is more important than something so incredibly specific to the HD 700. I would like to still run my HD 600, SR325is, and others on it without too much fuss.
  • Not entirely certain on a budget, but if it's worth it, I would consider it. I know I'm asking a lot, but a cheaper solution would be better for right now.

 

So I immediately thought Asgard 2 and Modi, but I read a lot in this thread that the Mangi/Modi make them far too bright. Would like some validation on that. I personally like bright headphones as long as it's a quality treble. I thought maybe my current E09K/E07K may be ok, but I don't know.

 

Thoughts?

post #1013 of 7119

For a budget DAC, I would suggest Cambridge Audio DACmagic and Musical Fidelity V-DACII.  IMHO, these will beat anything under 500 bucks and they both have very smooth tubelike quality to them, especially the MF V-DACII....also heard the V90 is great and it's cheap.  For amp, I don't have much experience, but I can say that my Burson Soloist is ridiculously good with HD700's.  Also has more than enough power to drive your HD600's, 700's, and maybe Planars and Orthos in the future.  Good luck and have fun.  Oh, and congratulations on some sweet headphones!  


Edited by Bigglesworth - 1/8/14 at 3:07pm
post #1014 of 7119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigglesworth View Post
 

For a budget DAC, I would suggest Cambridge Audio DACmagic and Musical Fidelity V-DACII.  IMHO, these will beat anything under 500 bucks and they both have very smooth tubelike quality to them, especially the MF V-DACII....also heard the V90 is great and it's cheap.  For amp, I don't have much experience, but I can say that my Burson Soloist is ridiculously good with HD700's - very smooth and analogue-like sound.  Also has more than enough power to drive your HD600's, 700's, and maybe Planars and Orthos in the future.  Good luck and have fun.  Oh, and congratulations on some sweet headphones!  

Thanks for the feedback. When I read things like "smooth" or "analogue-like", it makes me kinda cringe. What I don't want to do is take anything away from the neutral, analytical, sparkly signature from the HD 700 or make anything less spacious and detailed. Those, quite frankly, are the things that make me hard for this can. When I'm in the mood for that, that's when the HD 600 comes out. It's about as warm of a can that I can enjoy. When reading that, would you alter your recommendations?


Edited by roguegeek - 1/8/14 at 1:09pm
post #1015 of 7119
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Thanks for the feedback. When I read things like "smooth" or "analogue-like", it makes me kinda cringe. What I don't want to do is take anything away from the neutral, analytical, sparkly signature from the HD 700 or make anything less spacious and detailed. Those, quite frankly, are the things that make me hard for this can. When I'm in the mood for that, that's when the HD 600 comes out. It's about as warm of a can that I can enjoy. When reading that, would you alter your recommendations?

I wouldn't alter my recommendation st all. Sounds like you're a neutral kinda guy and I'm more of a euphonic audiophile kinda guy. I've never heard a "neutral" headphone or speaker that I didn't despise. For example, I love hd700s because they are far from neutral...it's what makes them exciting sounding and the. Hd800 are pretty much ruler flat and they have no soul. To each his own. In the end, hifi is about synergy...finding just the right piece of gear to match and create harmony. HD700s is a wild horse with lotsa energy and have some crazy peaky frequencies and need associated gear that compliments these qualities. SYnergy, bro.
Edited by Bigglesworth - 1/8/14 at 1:24pm
post #1016 of 7119
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
 

I recently demoed the HD 700 and almost immediately rushed out to purchase one for myself. It's amp and dac decision time. Here's some of the details I'm looking at.

 

  • Will be running the HD 700 off of my home computer.
  • Currently have a Fiio E09K and E07K that is running my HD 600, HE-400, and SR325is.
  • Will need preouts since I use an external 2.1 system from time to time.
  • Not looking to change the signature very much. Just power it properly.
  • 1/4 in input
  • Flexibility is more important than something so incredibly specific to the HD 700. I would like to still run my HD 600, SR325is, and others on it without too much fuss.
  • Not entirely certain on a budget, but if it's worth it, I would consider it. I know I'm asking a lot, but a cheaper solution would be better for right now.

 

So I immediately thought Asgard 2 and Modi, but I read a lot in this thread that the Mangi/Modi make them far too bright. Would like some validation on that. I personally like bright headphones as long as it's a quality treble. I thought maybe my current E09K/E07K may be ok, but I don't know.

 

Thoughts?

 

I use mine with a  CEntrance DACmini.  I believe it is along the same lines as the DACMagic.  There are 2 models, one comes with a power amp for speakers, and the other just powers the headphones.  I have the latter, as I have powered speakers for my desktop.  To my ears, this amp is about as neutral as you can get.  There is loads of power for the HD700, and I can damn near use the headphones as speakers when plugged into this thing.  It is quite compact, looks good (I got mine in black), and very easy to use.  CEntrance's USB implementation is one of the best on the market.  I am quite happy with mine, and don't forsee myself looking to upgrade this any time soon.

post #1017 of 7119
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionz View Post
 

 

I use mine with a  CEntrance DACmini.  I believe it is along the same lines as the DACMagic.  There are 2 models, one comes with a power amp for speakers, and the other just powers the headphones.  I have the latter, as I have powered speakers for my desktop.  To my ears, this amp is about as neutral as you can get.  There is loads of power for the HD700, and I can damn near use the headphones as speakers when plugged into this thing.  It is quite compact, looks good (I got mine in black), and very easy to use.  CEntrance's USB implementation is one of the best on the market.  I am quite happy with mine, and don't forsee myself looking to upgrade this any time soon.

It looks promising and I'll keep it on the list, but $1000 is, unfortunately, out of my range right now. 

post #1018 of 7119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxanex View Post
 


It has been posted, and there's really nothing of importance there. Unless you're in the market for a gaming headset or a different color Momentum. Was hoping for the HD 659 or HD 750 :tongue_smile:


Given Sennheiser's history might be awhile before we see another higher end phone, the HD600 came out when??

But IMHO the HD700s do sound excellent and bridge the gap so not too sure what's to be changed.

post #1019 of 7119
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
 

It looks promising and I'll keep it on the list, but $1000 is, unfortunately, out of my range right now.

Audio gd Compass 2 (Sabre chip preferrably) is neutral, much less expensive and can power well anything short of Hifiman HE-6

Even less expensive and compact is Audio gd NFB-11.32

post #1020 of 7119
Quote:
Originally Posted by i019791 View Post

Audio gd Compass 2 (Sabre chip preferrably) is neutral, much less expensive and can power well anything short of Hifiman HE-6
Even less expensive and compact is Audio gd NFB-11.32
And what would be the trade off going with the NFB-11.32 over the Compass 2? I could definitely do $300.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread