Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread - Page 4

post #46 of 1630

From sone one who love the BeyerDynamic DT990 250Ohm version, would you recommend the HD700?

post #47 of 1630

Just posted this on the other HD700 thread so for those of you that are not following it, here are my first thoughts on the HD700:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/589738/sennheiser-hd-700-officially-unveiled-at-ces-2012/3330#post_8482088 


Edited by MickeyVee - 6/24/12 at 2:00pm
post #48 of 1630
Was asked to sample some electronic music for bass and decided to post this publically in case it helps anyone. I have a pair of Monster Pro Copper IEMs that I'll also post a couple of comments about for comparison sake. Keep in mind that these are samples from iTunes coming through an iPad with iBasso D4 DAC/Amp connected though the USB out and without eq. Lastly, since I don't listen Electronic, these are VERY subjective...

Bass Head by Bassnectar
Bass is there as well as extension, but I'd certainly like to add 4-6db to the bass to balance it with the treble. No question that a little eq could get it going. Overall, less bass quantity than the Coppers, but the bass quality is much better. Not as muddy and better separation of the bass and mids in terms of tone and timbre.

Cards to you heart by Groove Armada
Really bright and sibilant. There is so much exciter used that its really noticeable in the snare/clap and vocal tones. I'd have to tame the 10K treble by 4-6db to listen to it long term. Seems pretty bass light without much extension.

Some Chords by Deadmau5
Best tonal balance of the lot. I'd still want to add a little bass, but the mix here sound great with an open and somewhat "airy" feel.

Now, on to some stuff I know!

Where or when by Diana Krall
Just shines! I'd still like a little more bass quantity (maybe 3db), but the blend, sound, and tone are great. I've listened to a lot of Diana Krall, and the 700 shine with this kind of material.

Breakdown by Jack Johnson
would also like a little more bass quantity to fill out the Reggae-ish beat. Instruments are beautifully rendered and lifelike. The wide soundstage is great for the accompaniment but Jack sits back a little for my taste. I notice this happens from time to time with vocals and, occasionally, completely mono bass. Clean and precise with fast attacks. Sounds very "crisp."

#41 by Dave Matthews
I've heard this a ton of times but it sounded completely different here with the wide soundstage. Basically same comments as Jack Johnson.

Space Cowboy by Jamiroquai
Fun tune. The presentation felt pretty closed in and, like I said above with Jack J, the fully mono bass gets a little lost. In this case though, I'm sure it has more to do with the mix than the 700. I feel like they're presenting what is there, if just a little bass light.

Across all of these, the common denominator is the need for a little more bass quantity (quality is almost always great). Mids and treble are presented wonderfully with a lot of air and sparkle. In every case, I'm sure that the HD700 are more than capable of good stylistic presentation given a little eq and better amp. I think they are more than capable of scaling far beyond where my little D4 is taking them right now.

If you listen to Electronic more than 60-70%, then I'd look elsewhere. If acoustic, jazz, orchestrial is your bag, then they're worth serious consideration.
Edited by smcginni - 6/24/12 at 11:06pm
post #49 of 1630
Quote:
Originally Posted by goropeza View Post

Yeah it does thanks. I was going to keep my Denon AHD 7000s for electronic (they are SUPERB for that) and use the HD700 for my more acoustic music plus vocals (which is kinda how I use my HD 598's). But like I said, if they can go electronic that would just be icing on the cake and it might make them my number 1 can. I may have to give these a shot and see for myself if they are worth keeping over the HD598's, which are an exceptional value. I really want that epic sound stage!

 

 

Ey mate ! i got the 700s im not goin into several technical aspects but to make it short it, i find them wonderful for electronic. I listen to alot of infected mushrooms they got several layers of sound, begining of one track u got fast paced sound then in a blink of an eye u get orchestra.

 

And the 700s just handles that with ease and a lovly soundstage also u keep hearing sounds that u havnt heared before. I also got the hd598 in my opinion they sound good for the money but the 700s are in a different level of reproducing sound.

 

But this is all my own personal thoughts about this headphone. And as far i see people describing that this headphone cant play this genre ect ect i really do not understand that, if i jazz/classical person tries to valuate the GENRE electronic he is bound to fail hard. Anyway all i ever type is all subjective keep in mind :)

 

PS: If u want Jaw dropping soundstage, then HD 800 is the superior one. Dont get me wrong the 700s soundstage is awsome specially the depht but the 800 u forget that u have them on and u feel that the sound actually appears infront of u.

post #50 of 1630

Short impressions I posted in another thread going head to head with my HD800 on the LF.

 

 

The HD700 certainly seems like it's getting a bad rep for no reason around here. It's a nice sounding headphone. 

 

I do think the price point should be lower, but from a pure sound standpoint they sound great. Heard them from a modest portable set up today as well as my own Liquid Fire rig and they sounded great from both. 

 

Quick Impressions (vs the HD800): They have a smaller soundstage, clamp tighter, and are much smaller than I expected them to be. They're still really comfy, and the stock cable puts the HD800's on blast. Less detail, more bass (punch factor goes up quite a bit, less extension though), more up front and intimate due to smaller soundstage (not always a bad thing), but I did notice that with more complicated music they do collapse into themselves a bit. I was listening to a complicated Jazz track and the cymbals did get a little lost when it became more layered and complicated. 

 

HD800 is a better choice no doubt, but the sound you get out of a decent portable amp was really nice.

post #51 of 1630

Well after reading all of the other thread bashing the HD700 I decided the buy it. While it is not perfect -no can is- I believe Sennheiser definitely got something right after trying too hard with the HD800. The HD800 is superior technically but after trying it numerous times I was never able to enjoy it. 

I have only been listening to the HD700 for a couple of hours so my view could change but so far I am thoroughly impressed.biggrin.gif

post #52 of 1630

x2 on that.  The few times I tried the HD800, I could never get into it and that was with some decent downstream equipment.

 

What is your source/amp for the HD700?

I've got an Arcam rDAC on order so I can get my DLIII back into my main system.  I really like the HD700 with a warmer, richer DAC and and paired up with the Lyr, they're a nice compliment to the HD700.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post

Well after reading all of the other thread bashing the HD700 I decided the buy it. While it is not perfect -no can is- I believe Sennheiser definitely got something right after trying too hard with the HD800. The HD800 is superior technically but after trying it numerous times I was never able to enjoy it. 

I have only been listening to the HD700 for a couple of hours so my view could change but so far I am thoroughly impressed.biggrin.gif

post #53 of 1630

I first used it plugged straight into the M-DAC and that was surprisingly good but then I couldn't help myself and slashed the jack to reterminate it with a 4 pin XLR biggrin.gif. I am now listening balanced through my Little Dot MKVI+ and that sounds even better.  I didn't think any cans would be  able to dethrone my HE-6 but I am already  having doubts. rolleyes.gif

post #54 of 1630

I have some interest in HD700...

post #55 of 1630

Hi Folks - Well, our house was broken into awhile back, and about the only things stolen was stuff they could carry out easily.  My office was essentially 'easy-pickens'.  triportsad.gif

 

Of course, that included my beloved HD800's, my Nuforce HCP (which they left with the optical connector still embedded in it), loose hard-drives, RAM - pocket stuff.

 

The "Beast" wasn't touched (apparently way too heavy), neither were the mounted flat-screens or monitors.  Just the little, expensive stuff. They also got my Canon SLR, and lenses.

 

Well, after all was said and done, with the police reports, investigations etc., we settled with the insurance company.

 

Almost immediately, I replaced the HCP Icon, but instead of re-purchasing the HD800's, I decided to go with the HD700's, 'cause I'd heard and read so many superlative reviews here on Head-fi and other personal listening websites.

 

I'm starting to wonder if in an effort to save $$$$$, if I haven't made a mistake. To my dismay, the 700's sorta sound (big pause) "tinny", compared to my aural memory of the 800's. Nearly all of the music I listen to is classical, recorded with minimalist microphones (ala Telarc or similar), or binaural, with just maybe a lil’ tweak in the low-bass, flat elsewhere. From there, it’s Optical-out from the beast to the Nuforce.

 

Of course, and I followed a "burn-in" process with my IsoTek CD for a day or two.  However, the "burn-in" doesn't seem to have had much effect - they STILL sound "tinny".  To understand what I'm referring to, place your palm just NEAR the outsides of the cups - you don't even have to touch them, but that's a pretty good illustration of what I'm hearing with nothing near the exterior "ports".

 

After reading this “appreciation thread”, I still thought it prudent to ask if any of my Head-Fi brethren have had enough time with these headphones to know just how long the "burn-in" process should take?

 

Thanks for reading,

 

Steve

post #56 of 1630
I to am interested in these cans and been trying to read everything I can I find. I sold my hd650 a few months ago and have been eyeing the 700.
There aren't many pro reviews on the net so looking for some insight. I used my essence STX with my hd650 and loved the combo.

I ove to listen to mostly rock, I just picked up the latest offerings from Rush, Smashing Pumpkins and the new Fiona. I have listened to these new records on my Paradigm studio setup,
frankly I want some new cans and I don't mind a little sharp treble so what do you all headfiers think of these hd700 for rock?
post #57 of 1630

I sold my HD650 in favor of the HD700.  Not too sure it was a wise decision.  With well recorded material, the HD700 simply smokes the HD650. great bass, good imaging and air, love the snap and decay, good mids plus a high end sparkle that I toned down with a hybrid tube amp and a warmer punchier DAC.

On the other hand,  I found the HD650 much more forgiving on compressed and overly bright material. For that, I have the HE400's.

Not sure I'd want the HD700 as my only can but could live with the HD650 and my only set.  Do give the HD700 and good long audition (maybe 2 or 3 times) before you commit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post

I to am interested in these cans and been trying to read everything I can I find. I sold my hd650 a few months ago and have been eyeing the 700.
There aren't many pro reviews on the net so looking for some insight. I used my essence STX with my hd650 and loved the combo.
I ove to listen to mostly rock, I just picked up the latest offerings from Rush, Smashing Pumpkins and the new Fiona. I have listened to these new records on my Paradigm studio setup,
frankly I want some new cans and I don't mind a little sharp treble so what do you all headfiers think of these hd700 for rock?
post #58 of 1630
Thx Mickey appreciate the honest response.
post #59 of 1630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemitchell View Post

Hi Folks - Well, our house was broken into awhile back, and about the only things stolen was stuff they could carry out easily.  My office was essentially 'easy-pickens'.  triportsad.gif

 

Of course, that included my beloved HD800's, my Nuforce HCP (which they left with the optical connector still embedded in it), loose hard-drives, RAM - pocket stuff.

 

The "Beast" wasn't touched (apparently way too heavy), neither were the mounted flat-screens or monitors.  Just the little, expensive stuff. They also got my Canon SLR, and lenses.

 

Well, after all was said and done, with the police reports, investigations etc., we settled with the insurance company.

 

Almost immediately, I replaced the HCP Icon, but instead of re-purchasing the HD800's, I decided to go with the HD700's, 'cause I'd heard and read so many superlative reviews here on Head-fi and other personal listening websites.

 

I'm starting to wonder if in an effort to save $$$$$, if I haven't made a mistake. To my dismay, the 700's sorta sound (big pause) "tinny", compared to my aural memory of the 800's. Nearly all of the music I listen to is classical, recorded with minimalist microphones (ala Telarc or similar), or binaural, with just maybe a lil’ tweak in the low-bass, flat elsewhere. From there, it’s Optical-out from the beast to the Nuforce.

 

Of course, and I followed a "burn-in" process with my IsoTek CD for a day or two.  However, the "burn-in" doesn't seem to have had much effect - they STILL sound "tinny".  To understand what I'm referring to, place your palm just NEAR the outsides of the cups - you don't even have to touch them, but that's a pretty good illustration of what I'm hearing with nothing near the exterior "ports".

 

After reading this “appreciation thread”, I still thought it prudent to ask if any of my Head-Fi brethren have had enough time with these headphones to know just how long the "burn-in" process should take?

 

Thanks for reading,

 

Steve

 

Although the HD 700s are great, they are not a patch on the HD 800 - the 800 is very much better.

 

I find the 700 do come between the 650 and 800 in both price and quality - they are a big step up from the 600/650, but also a big step down from the 800.

 

Owning the 800 as I do, I would not want a pair of the 700s after listening to them.

post #60 of 1630

I would personally choose the HD700 over the HD800 despite agreeing the HD800 is a bit  better technically. I find the HD700 a very intriguing can. It is a lot brighter that what I would  normally enjoy but it also produces a very edgy and lively sound that I somehow found very addictive.Well extended and snappy bass as well...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Appreciation Thread