Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Need recommendation for a DAC to go with Woo Audio WA6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need recommendation for a DAC to go with Woo Audio WA6

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I am looking for a DAC that is well worthy to combo with the Woo Audio WA6. My source will come from my PC and my Ipod Classic. I hope headfiers can give me indepth advices/recommendations in for kind of setup.

 

Thank you

post #2 of 8

You don't need to "match" amp with a DAC unless something is really wrong somewhere and you need to compensate for it.  Given that the WA6 is a fine amplifier, you really don't need to think too much about this.  Just get the best DAC you can get for your price range.  A solid choice @ $500 continues to be the PS DL III.  

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

You don't need to "match" amp with a DAC unless something is really wrong somewhere and you need to compensate for it.  Given that the WA6 is a fine amplifier, you really don't need to think too much about this.  Just get the best DAC you can get for your price range.  A solid choice @ $500 continues to be the PS DL III.  


Well since im still new to audiophile world, this is what I am able to get access to http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/DACs-1. Can you recommend a brand or model from this website. The PS DL III is like $999 in Australia =.="

Thanks


Edited by Meoow - 6/1/12 at 2:05pm
post #4 of 8

What's your price range?

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meoow View Post

I am looking for a DAC that is well worthy to combo with the Woo Audio WA6. My source will come from my PC and my Ipod Classic. I hope headfiers can give me indepth advices/recommendations in for kind of setup.

Thank you

Based upon the website you provided, ranked according to personal preference:
1)Schiit BiFrost
1)Audio-gd 2.1
2)Peachtree DAC iT

Schiit and Audio-gd are tied, with a slight preference to Schiit for the 5 year warranty vs. 3 years. Both units are future upgradeable. To help your decision, I believe the Audio-gd is more "listenable and forgiving" (less fatiguing/detail) than the Sabre DACs "detail and dynamics" (more fatiguing/detail)in Schiit and Peachtree. It's a tradeoff.

Another note, the Sabre DACs are brutal when it comes to bad recordings or low res music (including CD FLACs), so judge your current and future music library accordingly.
Edited by brunk - 6/1/12 at 10:43pm
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post


Based upon the website you provided, ranked according to personal preference:
1)Schiit BiFrost
1)Audio-gd 2.1
2)Peachtree DAC iT
Schiit and Audio-gd are tied, with a slight preference to Schiit for the 5 year warranty vs. 3 years. Both units are future upgradeable. To help your decision, I believe the Audio-gd is more "listenable and forgiving" (less fatiguing/detail) than the Sabre DACs "detail and dynamics" (more fatiguing/detail)in Schiit and Peachtree. It's a tradeoff.
Another note, the Sabre DACs are brutal when it comes to bad recordings or low res music (including CD FLACs), so judge your current and future music library accordingly.


Thanks alot XD

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

What's your price range?

around $150-$500

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post


Based upon the website you provided, ranked according to personal preference:
1)Schiit BiFrost
1)Audio-gd 2.1
2)Peachtree DAC iT
Schiit and Audio-gd are tied, with a slight preference to Schiit for the 5 year warranty vs. 3 years. Both units are future upgradeable. To help your decision, I believe the Audio-gd is more "listenable and forgiving" (less fatiguing/detail) than the Sabre DACs "detail and dynamics" (more fatiguing/detail)in Schiit and Peachtree. It's a tradeoff.
Another note, the Sabre DACs are brutal when it comes to bad recordings or low res music (including CD FLACs), so judge your current and future music library accordingly.


The Peachtree DAC iT uses the ESS Sabre DAC, but the Schiit Bifrost uses an AKM4399 32 bit D/A converter.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Need recommendation for a DAC to go with Woo Audio WA6