Hi there everyone,
I heard there were a number of experts on here regarding headphones, so I thought this would be the place to post my queries. I am looking into buying a pair of (awesome) headphones. I was initially looking in some noise-cancelling ones, as I travel quite a bit on planes and trains. A few people I know were trying to talk me into buying a pair of Bose QC’s, but other than the fact that I don’t feel too comfortable dropping $500 on a pair of headphones, I have been reading around and it seems that they are not so great as everyone as everyone makes them out to be. Is this so?
The main qualities I am after are the following:
- Preferably, the ability to cancel out as much background noise as possible. Plane engines, old train carriages screeching, obnoxiously loud cell-phone conversations, screaming children, you know the deal.
- Something preferably over the ear (not on ear, as I find them quite uncomfortable). I won’t rule out in-ear, but I often have issues with in-ear headphones either not fitting properly (due to piercings) or simply not staying in.
- In relation to previous point, relatively light-weight and/or comfortable.
- Decent sound. I love bass, but I don’t love it when it is so dominant that it overwhelms mids and highs, and distorts the music (making that booming, scratchy, crackly sound). I also can’t stand “tinny” sound, or shrill treble.
- Decent quality material that wont break after a few months (i.e. not the crappy plastic I heard Bose use).
- A few reviews I have been looking at have mentioned choice of music played in relation to selecting the best headphones. Not sure if this information is actually relevant or not, but I listen to a range of music: mainly rock, world music, metal, electronic (house, trance, dubstep, etc.); but also some hip hop, classical...
- I don’t want headphones that leak out sound for everyone else to hear. I cannot stand it when I am around people who are wearing headphones, yet you can hear precisely what they are listening to.
- Not expensive. By expensive, I mean over $300. Current financial situation does not allow me to justify dropping that sort of money on anything.
Just read over this list, sounds like I’m asking a bit too much, right? Lol
Thanks in advance...