Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60 - Page 34

post #496 of 1886

I copy-pasted them from a Japanese review, but yes they are indeed beautiful looking.

post #497 of 1886
So the amazon FXD80's come with no case at all? mad.gif
post #498 of 1886
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

So the amazon FXD80's come with no case at all? mad.gif

 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270790768898

post #499 of 1886
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

So the amazon FXD80's come with no case at all? mad.gif

 

They do. A soft pouch with the pinch apart open and closure at the top. 

 

I got a few hard-shells to put in place of those kinds. The Shure zip case, both hard and soft versions, I like. Pricey, though. Some of the round ones I had gotten, such as from MeElec, aren't as spacious as the Shures. Shure's hard shell zip case doesn't have an inner net pouch to hold minor extras; Shure's soft case does. I fell that I don't have to wind IEM's and related wire as tightly in a spacious pouch. There's also adequate room for larger in-ear designs.


Edited by FieldingMellish - 7/4/12 at 1:00pm
post #500 of 1886

The JVC FX500 case is my favorite in size and design, I put my Sony EX700's in there.  The ATH-CK10 case is my second favorite, then the EX700 case for the look / feel.

 

The Sony EX600 / EX1000 case is the same size as a Discman from 1999, only four times thicker.


Edited by kiteki - 7/4/12 at 1:03pm
post #501 of 1886

I was thinking why these will be liked by so many. It has the fun of musical but with super quality. It is hard not to love this signature. Any really good recording and it is like watching HD movies for the first time. Lol! Every audiophile club need to open up with this. Robin Gibb R.I.P... Happy Independence day for my fellow Americans. images.jpg!!!!

post #502 of 1886

When talking about disco. How does this classic sound?

post #503 of 1886
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

So the amazon FXD80's come with no case at all? mad.gif

What is this about cases? Cases...smases!! IT'S ABOUT THE MUSIC MAN!!  i'm just saying....lol

post #504 of 1886

Uh-oh. Getting on Gnarlsagan's case. biggrin.gif

post #505 of 1886
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post

Uh-oh. Getting on Gnarlsagan's case. biggrin.gif

Haha better stop in case I get angry.
post #506 of 1886

Cases, smases. I don't need a fancy leather case to house my IEMs, just a hardcase meant for a slim digital camera. Now it's just to purchase the pair that matches my prefered sound signature (as neutral as possible).


Edited by Soul_Est - 7/4/12 at 8:25pm
post #507 of 1886

Cases ???     ...I just wrap them round a stick and throw them into the trousers pocket. biggrin.gif

post #508 of 1886
Thread Starter 

I don't mean to throw a monkey wrench into the engine of the hype train, but after spending the past two weeks with the FXD80, my opinion of it has cooled significantly. Yes, I do own it, and I listened to it before I bought it, but its initial novelty has worn off and I have found it wanting.

 

To me, its biggest problem is the 10 kHz peak. I call it the 'anti-veil', since it's not that muddy sound that comes with a hump at 200-400 Hz, but it's so prominent that everything else is overshadowed by it. I have to EQ down that peak about 6.5 dB in order for things to sound right. Once that peak is taken out, however, I found that there were so many frequencies here and there that seemed to be 'missing'. I attribute this effect to the midrange essentially being a series of peaks and valleys, rather than one smooth curve.

 

Perhaps it has been a while since I've spent a significant amount of time with IEMs in the sub-$100 category, but for all the high level resolution and extreme clarity the FXD80 has, I can't seem to spend long periods of time with it and enjoy the music because I always feel that there are elements to the music that I'm listening to that are not being brought out by the FXD80. Perhaps a more politically correct way of putting it is that JVC decided to accentuate only the most important elements of the music when they were tuning the FXD80, and left all the subtle embellishments by the wayside. The parts that do get accentuated (save for that ridiculous 10k peak) are very nice (excellent in fact), but I'm always left desiring to hear other elements.

post #509 of 1886
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

To me, its biggest problem is the 10 kHz peak. I call it the 'anti-veil', since it's not that muddy sound that comes with a hump at 200-400 Hz, but it's so prominent that everything else is overshadowed by it. I have to EQ down that peak about 6.5 dB in order for things to sound right. Once that peak is taken out, however, I found that there were so many frequencies here and there that seemed to be 'missing'. I attribute this effect to the midrange essentially being a series of peaks and valleys, rather than one smooth curve.

 

Toms, could you elaborate more, in which frequency range do you fell that sound missing?

 

http://sonove.angry.jp/jvckenwood_HAFXD80.html Looks like there's resonance problem in 3-4KHz (look at the rising impedance at the Z graph... not the FR)...

 

how do you equalize down the 10KHz peak? or more precisely how steep (db/octave) of equalization that you use? looking at the very thin/sharp peak on the FR graph, it would need 24db/octave or better equalizer...

post #510 of 1886

Very, very helpful information. Thank you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

I don't mean to throw a monkey wrench into the engine of the hype train, but after spending the past two weeks with the FXD80, my opinion of it has cooled significantly. Yes, I do own it, and I listened to it before I bought it, but its initial novelty has worn off and I have found it wanting.

 

To me, its biggest problem is the 10 kHz peak. I call it the 'anti-veil', since it's not that muddy sound that comes with a hump at 200-400 Hz, but it's so prominent that everything else is overshadowed by it. I have to EQ down that peak about 6.5 dB in order for things to sound right. Once that peak is taken out, however, I found that there were so many frequencies here and there that seemed to be 'missing'. I attribute this effect to the midrange essentially being a series of peaks and valleys, rather than one smooth curve.

 

Perhaps it has been a while since I've spent a significant amount of time with IEMs in the sub-$100 category, but for all the high level resolution and extreme clarity the FXD80 has, I can't seem to spend long periods of time with it and enjoy the music because I always feel that there are elements to the music that I'm listening to that are not being brought out by the FXD80. Perhaps a more politically correct way of putting it is that JVC decided to accentuate only the most important elements of the music when they were tuning the FXD80, and left all the subtle embellishments by the wayside. The parts that do get accentuated (save for that ridiculous 10k peak) are very nice (excellent in fact), but I'm always left desiring to hear other elements.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60