Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60 - Page 85

post #1261 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Well, where I am at now is that I am really enjoying the FX40s (with foam tips). They cost me approx $35CN. I could return them and get the FXD80's from our good friends buyfromjapan for $95 (because I can't really justify having both pairs). The question is, are the FXD80's worth the $60 premium? Keep in mind that I'm a guy that doesn't even like iem's (well, not since discovering the FX40 lol!). And to further complicate things, now we have rickdohc spouting off about liking the FXD70 more than the FXD80 lol! (then again, we all know that rick is crazy - he even thinks that the S500 is better than the almighty modded ksc75's!)

I think I paid closer to $130-$150 for them when they were released.  I wholeheartedly believe it was worth every penny if not more.  Not having any disrespect for any of the pricier iem's (W4R, EX1000) to name a couple.  Those to me had flaws that didn't justify the price or sound to my ears.  They sound very good but I don't hear any flaws in the FXD's when I pop them in.  I really don't consider myself an audiophile or more likely I'm just not all that picky.  But I've heard a lot of earphones and headphones to appreciate the few that I really enjoy.  I don't think you could go wrong with either the 70 or 80 based on you enjoying the 40's.  70's are tighter, more precise sounding.  80's are just bigger sounding.  Both very capable of bringing out details but adding just enough color to make the music more involving.  It's obvious I like color and some warmth along with the details for my preferred sound signature.  I think the UM Miracles can attest to that since it's my favorite sounding earphone that I own and have heard.  Take it with a grain of salt since I know many will not prefer the sound that I enjoy.  But to get back on point, I think the 80's are more of the 40's flavor than the 70's.  Man, I'm being long winded tonight.  My apologies.  Hope you get one or the other and enjoy the heck out of them like I do.  

post #1262 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

I think I paid closer to $130-$150 for them when they were released.  I wholeheartedly believe it was worth every penny if not more.  Not having any disrespect for any of the pricier iem's (W4R, EX1000) to name a couple.  Those to me had flaws that didn't justify the price or sound to my ears.  They sound very good but I don't hear any flaws in the FXD's when I pop them in.  I really don't consider myself an audiophile or more likely I'm just not all that picky.  But I've heard a lot of earphones and headphones to appreciate the few that I really enjoy.  I don't think you could go wrong with either the 70 or 80 based on you enjoying the 40's.  70's are tighter, more precise sounding.  80's are just bigger sounding.  Both very capable of bringing out details but adding just enough color to make the music more involving.  It's obvious I like color and some warmth along with the details for my preferred sound signature.  I think the UM Miracles can attest to that since it's my favorite sounding earphone that I own and have heard.  Take it with a grain of salt since I know many will not prefer the sound that I enjoy.  But to get back on point, I think the 80's are more of the 40's flavor than the 70's.  Man, I'm being long winded tonight.  My apologies.  Hope you get one or the other and enjoy the heck out of them like I do.  

 

Hey, don't worry about being long winded - I appreciate it! Being iem-illiterate, I had never before heard of the UM Miracles. I see that they cost a wee bit more than the FX40 lol! Anyway, your endorsement of the 80's doesn't hurt the cause. I'm still in the learning stages of understanding exactly which sound I like, but I suspect that I like "warm with details" (I think that's how I would describe the S500 actually). I think also that I am somewhat mid-centric, so throw in a good dose of forward mids, and I think I'm in nirvana (I suspect that will be achieved with the S500 after further burn in, and the ATH pleathers that I'm waiting on...). Anyway, thanks again for the thoughts!

post #1263 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Well, where I am at now is that I am really enjoying the FX40s (with foam tips). They cost me approx $35CN. I could return them and get the FXD80's from our good friends buyfromjapan for $95 (because I can't really justify having both pairs). The question is, are the FXD80's worth the $60 premium? Keep in mind that I'm a guy that doesn't even like iem's (well, not since discovering the FX40 lol!). And to further complicate things, now we have rickdohc spouting off about liking the FXD70 more than the FXD80 lol! (then again, we all know that rick is crazy - he even thinks that the S500 is better than the almighty modded ksc75's!)

Crazy ol' Ricky boi, yeppp that sounds about right. ahaha

 

I was somewhat underwhelmed by the sound signature of the FXD70s when I 1st got them tbh, cuz like you WAYNE and crazy rick, I just loved that big lush bass of my FX40s A LOT. So I assumed since the FXD70s with it's closed design as well as based on the impressions of others that they were a total/ complete upgrade from the FX40s including DAT BASS. BUT it turned out that the 70s were more mid-centric with lighter bass and I was like yo, where is that bigger bass I paid for. LoL But it makes sense for their slightly less bass due to the desire to allow the mids to shine. In time I learned to appreciate the nuances of these FXD70s as compared to my FX40s and I really like them now.

 

So long story short, as danny was telling you go for the FXD80s if you want a linear upgrade to your FX40s. The 80s seems like they are a bigger/ better/ meaner and more refined version of the FX40s, while the FXD70s are a curve ball JVC threw in there to rob more of your monies. LoL

 

Damn JVC and their CNT devil technology!!!


Edited by sfwalcer - 10/15/12 at 11:19pm
post #1264 of 1806
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

 

So long story short, as danny was telling you go for the FXD80s if you want a linear upgrade to your FX40s. The 80s seems like they are a bigger/ better/ meaner and more refined version of the FX40s, while the FXD70s are a curve ball JVC threw in there to rob more of your monies. LoL

 

Damn JVC and their CNT devil technology!!!

 

Yes, damn them. I am even interested in the S400 now due to Doc's endorsement of the S400's mids. So yes, damn jvc and their damn nono-tubage, damn dsnuts, damn Doc, damn crazy rick.... damn you all lol!

beerchug.gif

post #1265 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Yes, damn them. I am even interested in the S400 now due to Doc's endorsement of the S400's mids. So yes, damn jvc and their damn nono-tubage, damn dsnuts, damn Doc, damn crazy rick.... damn you all lol!

beerchug.gif

It's a damnation, we'll be forever burning in JVC's CNT purgatory. With all our $$$s going up in flames 1st. :< 

post #1266 of 1806

You guys are funny.... you know?..........................................
 

post #1267 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Thanks Danny. The treble of the 40's was too much for me also and stopped me from appreciating the other aspects of them. I was about to give up on them until I tried the foam tips as per Doc's recommendation. I couldn't believe the difference they make - suddenly I was hearing balanced yet powerful bass, mids and treble. Quite amazing. It sounds like possibly the FXD80's are as good as the FX40's with foam tips!  wink_face.gif

 

 

what foam tips are these and where to buy them?

post #1268 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post


Man. I got a week using my fxd70. You guys call me crazy but i am liking it more than the 80's.

 

No the FXD70 is better than the FXD80 to my ears too.

It's fuller, with better bass, have great clarity and most importantly sound more coherent.

 

The FXD70 is better than the FXD80!

post #1269 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post

 

No the FXD70 is better than the FXD80 to my ears too.

It's fuller, with better bass, have great clarity and most importantly sound more coherent.

 

The FXD70 is better than the FXD80!


+1

 

devil_face.gif

post #1270 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post

 

what foam tips are these and where to buy them?

 

I used the memory foam tips that came with the FX40. Not sure where to buy more of them.

post #1271 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

I used the memory foam tips that came with the FX40. Not sure where to buy more of them.


ooohh i see.. no, those dont work for me. they dont fit my ears.  i will try with the foam tips that came on my FX33/35

 

 

Edit:  NO.. i cant use those FX40 anymore. 


Edited by rickdohc - 10/16/12 at 10:05am
post #1272 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post


ooohh i see.. no, those dont work for me. they dont fit my ears.  i will try with the foam tips that came on my FX33/35

 

 

Edit:  NO.. i cant use those FX40 anymore. 

 

Due to your FXD70's?

post #1273 of 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Due to your FXD70's?


Yes, FXD70 and 80's  it sounds tinny, harsh.. treble hot , lack of detail to much bass compared to the 70`s and 80's-   I am laughing as i type thinking about how much i used to love those things.  etysmile.gif

 

I wouldnt buy the S400 in your case, go for the 70 or 80's.  They sound even better and are more techincal than the S500.

post #1274 of 1806
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post


ooohh i see.. no, those dont work for me. they dont fit my ears.  i will try with the foam tips that came on my FX33/35

Edit:  NO.. i cant use those FX40 anymore.

Yes, FXD70 and 80's  it sounds tinny, harsh.. treble hot , lack of detail to much bass compared to the 70`s and 80's-   I am laughing as i type thinking about how much i used to love those things.  etysmile.gif

 

 

 

I thought that way about them also before trying the foam tips. I'm not sure how the stock fx40 foam tips don't fit your ears, since you compress them down before inserting, and then they expand to fit. But anyway, were you at least able to try them? I just want to confirm that you listened to them with the foam tips because to me, they make such a difference. And, I would not want to get the 70's or 80's only to find out that the 40's with foam tips were quite comparable.

 

Quote:
I wouldnt buy the S400 in your case, go for the 70 or 80's.  They sound even better and are more techincal than the S500.

 

Well, if you guys would come to a consensus about which ones are better, then I just might do that! Thanks.

post #1275 of 1806

thats how they sound with the foam tip, maybe i need to drill a bigger hole on those tips?  anyway,  i loved my FX40 for months, but the 70 and 80's are HUGE step foward.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60