I'm looking for a neutral, comfortable, closed headphone to be used for music production and listening through a macbook pro and virus ti2 synthesizer. I really like the idea of the SRH 940, but I'm open to other options. Have any suggestions in the $200+ range?
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 5/31/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT250tagged by System, 5/31/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 5/31/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by System, 5/31/12
- productbeyerdynamic T50ptagged by System, 5/31/12
- productSennheiser HD 25 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 5/31/12
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by System, 5/31/12
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 5/31/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best all rounders Last post on 6/20/12 at 3:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggest a price-range sweet spot for someone who likes the sound of HD600 Last post on 5/27/11 at 1:23am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best headphone for 500$ including shipping to Sweden Last post on 9/17/13 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are over-ear head phone suppose to actualy be over the ear? Last post on 9/3/13 at 2:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations on next headphone? Last post on 8/17/13 at 11:55am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I purchased the Audio Technica ESW9a. These have African Paduak shells rather than the cherry of the Japanese release. The ESW9a is made in Japan. Physical: First, these are most...
Build Quality & Design The build quality on these isn't so good in the long run, the entire headphone is mostly constructed out of plastic the only metal part on these cans would be the earcups,...
First off my gear is HeadRoom Micro DAC and Amp.(I don't see how people get by without the crossfeed circuit on older rock recordings) Out of the rather cheap box the high-end was brittle and harsh...
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
SRH 940 Alternativespost #1 of 75/29/12 at 9:22pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 75/30/12 at 2:05ampost #3 of 75/30/12 at 5:33amI am a huge fan of the SRH-940 it has tight bass, amazing midrange, and highs that are intricate and detailed without coming across as harsh or sibilant. One of the best headphones I have owned. The bass is what many find lacking, personally though I find it has enough bass for all but the most reliant genres.post #4 of 75/30/12 at 5:37ampost #5 of 75/30/12 at 5:41ampost #6 of 75/30/12 at 7:16am
Wearing it this way looks really stupid though. Besides, it is still uncomfortable no matter what you do. This is why I got rid of mine, even though I liked how they sounded very much...
Obviously, I am willing to believe that some people don't have comfort issues with these cans, but judging by the general internet consensus, these people are in the minority.post #7 of 75/30/12 at 11:28am
There's definitely worse than the srh940, in term of comfort , having tried the hd25.
I find them very decent in term of comfort, I'm not sure why people are complaining.
Also modding them helps to increase comfort, although my main reason to mod them was desired sonical changes (you increase
depth of ear cup, using a rope).
beydynamics DT770 or DT880, (many pic from studios, where singer wear such headphones)
hd600 (producer steve hoffman like them, most neutral sennheiser headphone)
german maestro closed models (marketed for music production, and one of the best built quality you could find).
fostex t50p (marketed for music production, people that mod them swear it's an incredible sound for the price).
- SRH 940 Alternatives
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 + Rockbox finally here (Latest Update: 2014-03-15) 2 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Appreciation thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Woo Audio 2 4 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 5 minutes ago
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal! 8 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones by bjmr
- › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 by DigitalGrounder
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by chrismini
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude