This hobby can be fatal.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 11/14/14 at 4:34pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
When I listen to these Headphones I always think to Polygamy. That is because I am already in love for another Headphone but I am also attracted by these Liberate. They are not exactly my kind...
I actually have, believe it or not, two sets of the A8 earphones. I bought the first one at a B&O store; someone bought a car and the earphones came as a gift. He didn't care for them, so he gave...
I have tested all JBL BT Headphones. I am not even sure why. These are the ONLY one which is worth considering if you look for a good sound. But NOT for the actual price of $270, EVER. They...
If I would have to choose between these and the JBL E40, I would probably kill myself. But in case I am of particularly good mood I would choose these. They do not have much better SQ but have...
When I first reviewed these Headphones some time ago in Amazon, I did not yet tried so many BT Headphones. Somehow I like them more now, specially because their much cheaper price (actually...
- Headphone Impedance
Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier - Page 17
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
The background story to this was that Anax bought something like 38 different capacitors to upgrade the interstage and feedback caps to his S7. (We wired in alligator clips for easy cap swaps and he almost died despite my warnings of high voltage and exposed wiring.) Anyways, Anax's experiments on the S7 also yielded good results for the Electra. The Jentzen silver caps are a little less grainy, more open and clear, more resolving, and has slightly better apparent bass extension than the stock WIMAs.
Did Anax post his findings re: cap rolling on S7 anywhere? Did he per chance try out exotic ones like Duelund Cu Cast or V-Cap Cu? That is something I would love to try out!
No exotic caps were tried with the S7 because for the cost, we would rather buy a custom-made 2A3 amp with a high-frequency heater from Craig with decent caps. Actually we were able to get our hands on a few other high-priced caps for testing. They sucked.
Thanks purrin! High freq. heater on 2A3 would be very interesting indeed! I would love to try either v-cap or duelund on my 2A3 as it is min. mod - only catch is v-cap probably takes a month+ to burn-in as it is teflon cap and the duelund might blow up my EML45 as it is paper/oil coupling cap... .
BTW on the caps experiment on S7, how does changing the caps affect the sound, do they make the amp harder to tube roll? Is there any penalty as well as gain?
Edited by SleepyOne - 12/30/12 at 2:51pm
The changes are not significant unless the original caps were very poor performing to begin with. It does not lessen the effect of tube or even transformer rolling. There could always be negative effects. You may not like the sound. Generally, caps add a little warmth to the sound compared to no caps. The "better" caps could sound be too dry or even too analytical depending upon where they are used in the circuit. The Jantzen silvers were fine as interstage caps on the S7, but in the feedback loop, made the S7 sound too etched and grainy in the treble.
Cap rolling isn't too different from tube rolling. Taken to excess, cap rolling opens up another can of worms and causes neuroses which prevent one from actually enjoying music. I had already hinted at this to Anax, and he definitely understood what I meant after prolonged experimentation. If you can pm Anaxilus for details (just include your e-mail so he can respond.) He is banned from posting, but I think he can still read his pms.
EDIT: Anax says he's been listening to the Dueland CASTs for the last few weeks.
Edited by purrin - 12/30/12 at 3:14pm
Thanks Purrin for the wise word - it is another can of warm if one not careful lol (esp. when there is no baseline driver/power tubes)!
Regarding the Duelund CAST, did Anax like that or does that also sucks with S7? Definately will PM Anax - his experiment with caps would be interesting to a lot of EC owners I think!!
(I am not so brave, I think I will only roll coupling caps only lol!)
Edited by SleepyOne - 12/30/12 at 3:31pm
It's probably a matter of a few months. I know he didn't want to open it up too early for fear of it taking 2 years or something like that to deliver. The metal shop should be open again after the X-mas break. Last I know he was looking for better STAX connectors.
I received an e-mail from Craig on Friday indicating he was closing this initial run.
- Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HM-901 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 7 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 10 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 12 minutes ago
- › W3 VERSUS W30 - - EXCITING NEWS! 12 minutes ago
- › Best mid price in ear headphones 14 minutes ago
- › USB Audio Recorder PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous... 15 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 16 minutes ago
- › The House of Marley Liberate XL BT by Giogio
- › Bang & Olufsen A8 Earphones by fjhuerta
- › JBL Synchros 400BT Bluetooth Wireless On-Ear Stereo Headphones, Black by Giogio
- › JBL J56 BT Bluetooth Wireless On-Ear Stereo Headphone, Black by Giogio
- › Jabra REVO Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones - Retail Packaging... by Giogio
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by Rockthemboots
- › Samsung Level over by Giogio
- › JBL E50BT Black Premium Wireless Over-Ear Bluetooth Stereo... by Giogio
- › JBL E40BT Black High-Performance Wireless On-Ear Bluetooth Stereo... by Giogio
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by Giogio
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)