This hobby can be fatal.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on Yesterday at 3:10 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 5/14/13 at 1:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Edited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Headphone Impedance
Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier - Page 17
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Pros:“Neutrality, Clarity, Resolution, Build like a rock, Handsome”“Fantastic balanced sound, well built, simple design, balanced output, small size and very cheap for what you get.”
- Pros:“Warm sound signature, detailed, non-fatiguing”“Richly detailed, supremely textured, natural sound that is smooth, effortless and relaxing to listen to. A forgiving allrounder with superb comfort.”
The background story to this was that Anax bought something like 38 different capacitors to upgrade the interstage and feedback caps to his S7. (We wired in alligator clips for easy cap swaps and he almost died despite my warnings of high voltage and exposed wiring.) Anyways, Anax's experiments on the S7 also yielded good results for the Electra. The Jentzen silver caps are a little less grainy, more open and clear, more resolving, and has slightly better apparent bass extension than the stock WIMAs.
Did Anax post his findings re: cap rolling on S7 anywhere? Did he per chance try out exotic ones like Duelund Cu Cast or V-Cap Cu? That is something I would love to try out!
No exotic caps were tried with the S7 because for the cost, we would rather buy a custom-made 2A3 amp with a high-frequency heater from Craig with decent caps. Actually we were able to get our hands on a few other high-priced caps for testing. They sucked.
Thanks purrin! High freq. heater on 2A3 would be very interesting indeed! I would love to try either v-cap or duelund on my 2A3 as it is min. mod - only catch is v-cap probably takes a month+ to burn-in as it is teflon cap and the duelund might blow up my EML45 as it is paper/oil coupling cap... .
BTW on the caps experiment on S7, how does changing the caps affect the sound, do they make the amp harder to tube roll? Is there any penalty as well as gain?
Edited by SleepyOne - 12/30/12 at 2:51pm
The changes are not significant unless the original caps were very poor performing to begin with. It does not lessen the effect of tube or even transformer rolling. There could always be negative effects. You may not like the sound. Generally, caps add a little warmth to the sound compared to no caps. The "better" caps could sound be too dry or even too analytical depending upon where they are used in the circuit. The Jantzen silvers were fine as interstage caps on the S7, but in the feedback loop, made the S7 sound too etched and grainy in the treble.
Cap rolling isn't too different from tube rolling. Taken to excess, cap rolling opens up another can of worms and causes neuroses which prevent one from actually enjoying music. I had already hinted at this to Anax, and he definitely understood what I meant after prolonged experimentation. If you can pm Anaxilus for details (just include your e-mail so he can respond.) He is banned from posting, but I think he can still read his pms.
EDIT: Anax says he's been listening to the Dueland CASTs for the last few weeks.
Edited by purrin - 12/30/12 at 3:14pm
Thanks Purrin for the wise word - it is another can of warm if one not careful lol (esp. when there is no baseline driver/power tubes)!
Regarding the Duelund CAST, did Anax like that or does that also sucks with S7? Definately will PM Anax - his experiment with caps would be interesting to a lot of EC owners I think!!
(I am not so brave, I think I will only roll coupling caps only lol!)
Edited by SleepyOne - 12/30/12 at 3:31pm
It's probably a matter of a few months. I know he didn't want to open it up too early for fear of it taking 2 years or something like that to deliver. The metal shop should be open again after the X-mas break. Last I know he was looking for better STAX connectors.
I received an e-mail from Craig on Friday indicating he was closing this initial run.
- Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
- › Lets Talk Metal 21 seconds ago
- › Looking for a good CD Transport/Player (~$500) to use with external... 53 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 1 minute ago
- › Open Classical Music Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Beats Solo HD vs. Beats Mixr? 2 minutes ago
- › Looking to buy some new Headphones (Maybe some Grado SR225i's) 2 minutes ago
- › Teac Reference Line UD-501 USB DAC "DSD" 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Aune T1 by teb1013
- › Logitech Speaker System Z623 by D3Seeker
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe