This hobby can be fatal.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 1/16/17 at 10:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I bought these headphones about year ago (I use them almost everyday), as an upgrade from my g430s when the cable finally wore out. In some cases (only some cases) I think the sound quality might...
Introduction Sennheiser HD650 is one of the (seemingly) consecrated headphones made by Sennheiser as an upgrade (update?) to their well received model, HD600. HD600 has been...
I finally took the plunge and got these. It's amazing how TOTL IEMS can sound so different. Bass: Tight and full. Tip dependent. With the triple flanges thought my head was going to blow off. I...
The original iDSD Micro stood out from the competition as an all-in-one replacement for the most discerning listeners' setups. The original iDSD Micro delivered - I had one, but as I started to not...
Dynamic headphones by the primarily planar producing HiFiman, very good value(especially if you live in america). Detailed and strong treble, decent mids and midbass yet a little light on lower...
Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier - Page 17post #241 of 44912/29/12 at 11:27am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #242 of 44912/29/12 at 5:44pmpost #243 of 44912/29/12 at 6:12pmpost #244 of 44912/30/12 at 10:20amQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
The background story to this was that Anax bought something like 38 different capacitors to upgrade the interstage and feedback caps to his S7. (We wired in alligator clips for easy cap swaps and he almost died despite my warnings of high voltage and exposed wiring.) Anyways, Anax's experiments on the S7 also yielded good results for the Electra. The Jentzen silver caps are a little less grainy, more open and clear, more resolving, and has slightly better apparent bass extension than the stock WIMAs.
Did Anax post his findings re: cap rolling on S7 anywhere? Did he per chance try out exotic ones like Duelund Cu Cast or V-Cap Cu? That is something I would love to try out!post #245 of 44912/30/12 at 1:09pmThread Starter
No exotic caps were tried with the S7 because for the cost, we would rather buy a custom-made 2A3 amp with a high-frequency heater from Craig with decent caps. Actually we were able to get our hands on a few other high-priced caps for testing. They sucked.post #246 of 44912/30/12 at 2:48pm
Thanks purrin! High freq. heater on 2A3 would be very interesting indeed! I would love to try either v-cap or duelund on my 2A3 as it is min. mod - only catch is v-cap probably takes a month+ to burn-in as it is teflon cap and the duelund might blow up my EML45 as it is paper/oil coupling cap... .
BTW on the caps experiment on S7, how does changing the caps affect the sound, do they make the amp harder to tube roll? Is there any penalty as well as gain?
Edited by SleepyOne - 12/30/12 at 2:51pmpost #247 of 44912/30/12 at 3:09pmThread Starter
The changes are not significant unless the original caps were very poor performing to begin with. It does not lessen the effect of tube or even transformer rolling. There could always be negative effects. You may not like the sound. Generally, caps add a little warmth to the sound compared to no caps. The "better" caps could sound be too dry or even too analytical depending upon where they are used in the circuit. The Jantzen silvers were fine as interstage caps on the S7, but in the feedback loop, made the S7 sound too etched and grainy in the treble.
Cap rolling isn't too different from tube rolling. Taken to excess, cap rolling opens up another can of worms and causes neuroses which prevent one from actually enjoying music. I had already hinted at this to Anax, and he definitely understood what I meant after prolonged experimentation. If you can pm Anaxilus for details (just include your e-mail so he can respond.) He is banned from posting, but I think he can still read his pms.
EDIT: Anax says he's been listening to the Dueland CASTs for the last few weeks.
Edited by purrin - 12/30/12 at 3:14pmpost #248 of 44912/30/12 at 3:29pm
Thanks Purrin for the wise word - it is another can of warm if one not careful lol (esp. when there is no baseline driver/power tubes)!
Regarding the Duelund CAST, did Anax like that or does that also sucks with S7? Definately will PM Anax - his experiment with caps would be interesting to a lot of EC owners I think!!
(I am not so brave, I think I will only roll coupling caps only lol!)
Edited by SleepyOne - 12/30/12 at 3:31pmpost #249 of 4491/11/13 at 2:58pmpost #250 of 4491/11/13 at 6:30pmpost #251 of 4491/12/13 at 11:25ampost #252 of 4491/14/13 at 2:35pmThread Starterpost #253 of 4491/14/13 at 2:38pmThread StarterQuote:
It's probably a matter of a few months. I know he didn't want to open it up too early for fear of it taking 2 years or something like that to deliver. The metal shop should be open again after the X-mas break. Last I know he was looking for better STAX connectors.post #254 of 4491/14/13 at 4:30pmpost #255 of 4491/14/13 at 8:43pmQuote:
I received an e-mail from Craig on Friday indicating he was closing this initial run.
- Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Post your EQ settings for your headphones 37 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › great find:: cleanest usb audio,best sound 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Does a soundcard with 100 ohms output impedance make 32 ohm... 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 5 minutes ago
- › Desktop DAC/AMP combo for Desktop under 200$ 5 minutes ago
- › Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing) 7 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 8 minutes ago
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear