Just ordered mine as well. Wondering if anyone has heard the newest reiteration of the Electra. I love my Super 7, so decided to take the Electra plunge sight unseen (or unheard).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Fiio X3 2nd generation preview Disclaimer: before jumping into the device itself, I have to talk a little bit about myself. I am still an amateur on the subject of sound quality, but I’ll...
They re absoultely amazing I srsly reccomend you buy them listening to songs with them are like hearing the artists in real life its honestly amazing!
As my wife will tell you, at just about every major audio show I attend I buy something (shocker right?). There’s something cool about looking at my pieces of gear and thinking about the show...
So i bought the DT 880 250 Ohm Pro model. I also have KEf m200 in ears, a pair of AKG k450. I owned Audio Technica m30, Sennheiser Momentum on ear and Beyerdynamic dt 770 80 Ohm. The difference is...
Introduction Over the past year, Audiofly released their "Performance" range of IEMs, designed by musicians as stage monitors. A while back I had a chance to sample the top of the range AF180 and...
- Headphone Impedance
Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier - Page 16
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I wouldn't worry about it. The Electra had enough voltage to slam the diaphragm into the stators for a couple of headphones we tested (don't try this at home.) It did not have a problem driving the 007mk2.5 which I had on hand. My preference was for the 6L6 output tube with the 007. The 6L6 is less thick or bassy sounding than the EL34. The EL34 works best with the 009, but that also depends upon taste. I did not note any of the bass control issues typical of inferior amplification with the 007.
If you like Craig's amps, you should also like the Electra. The latest iteration is a little bit better sounding (more dynamic and open) than what I heard the the H3 meet using the same tubes (there were some tweaks). BTW, even the "lowly" ESP950 sounded absolutely wonderful. Better than anything else I've heard it on. $3,500 is a steal.
When I had the pre-production prototype for a few days, I ran Sylvania GTA chrome domes (the tubes I had on hand which I felt sounded closest to the BGRP) and Mullard XF4s. The amp at H3 also had CBS/RCA triangle plate 6SN7s, which tend to be among the more laid-back (but good) sounding 6SN7s. I did not care for the black base current production Mullard EL34s (which I believe will be supplied with this amp). They sound slightly veiled, closed-in, and not as harmonically rich as the XF4s. I figure if you are spending near 4K on a amp, a few hundred for tubes isn't that much. There's definitely a good bit of tube rolling options to tweak the sound.
The background story to this was that Anax bought something like 38 different capacitors to upgrade the interstage and feedback caps to his S7. (We wired in alligator clips for easy cap swaps and he almost died despite my warnings of high voltage and exposed wiring.) Anyways, Anax's experiments on the S7 also yielded good results for the Electra. The Jentzen silver caps are a little less grainy, more open and clear, more resolving, and has slightly better apparent bass extension than the stock WIMAs.
Edited by purrin - 12/29/12 at 11:32am
- Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › Best soundcard/amp to pair with AKG Q 701 for hearing directional... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 2 minutes ago
- › Beresford Capella Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › FS: Grado PS500 - RS1 Upgraded Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi... 3 minutes ago
- › strong bass headphone 4 minutes ago
- › Budget amp for HD 598 and DT 880 Pro 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by m1ku
- › Monster PowerBeats Sport Headphones by HeadPhones ON
- › ALO Audio - The New Rx by mscott58
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by bodopopa
- › Audiofly AF120 In-Ear Headphones by Woodhouse
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by hakushondaimao
- › Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang by Zennheiser
- › FiiO E17 by Zennheiser
- › Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones by Tail
- › T-Peos Baguette Dynamic Earphones by twister6
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2