Just ordered mine as well. Wondering if anyone has heard the newest reiteration of the Electra. I love my Super 7, so decided to take the Electra plunge sight unseen (or unheard).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Sometimes you want to hear the pluck of a guitar string. Sometimes that detail can be sacrificed in the name of bass.....enormous bass Honestly these are pretty damned good with rock too. Not...
Firstly, like to thank Mike from Meelectronics for supplying the M9 Classic to review. The new release of the M9 Classic is Meelectronics budget in ear headphone. Priced at $9.99USD, I was...
So, these are quite good, actually. But I am not as impressed as I should be after paying 500 Euro. There are some very nice things here, but also some very bad ones, and some silly...
Well, I am really happy that these headphones exist, although I am angry with the designers for ruining something almost perfect with a stupid detail like too thin earpads. But, let's start...
If you are looking for an inexpensive USB cable, this is an OK way to spend your money. It will reduce some of the digital irritants and sounds better than the "comes with" usb cables packaged...
- Headphone Impedance
Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier - Page 16
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I wouldn't worry about it. The Electra had enough voltage to slam the diaphragm into the stators for a couple of headphones we tested (don't try this at home.) It did not have a problem driving the 007mk2.5 which I had on hand. My preference was for the 6L6 output tube with the 007. The 6L6 is less thick or bassy sounding than the EL34. The EL34 works best with the 009, but that also depends upon taste. I did not note any of the bass control issues typical of inferior amplification with the 007.
If you like Craig's amps, you should also like the Electra. The latest iteration is a little bit better sounding (more dynamic and open) than what I heard the the H3 meet using the same tubes (there were some tweaks). BTW, even the "lowly" ESP950 sounded absolutely wonderful. Better than anything else I've heard it on. $3,500 is a steal.
When I had the pre-production prototype for a few days, I ran Sylvania GTA chrome domes (the tubes I had on hand which I felt sounded closest to the BGRP) and Mullard XF4s. The amp at H3 also had CBS/RCA triangle plate 6SN7s, which tend to be among the more laid-back (but good) sounding 6SN7s. I did not care for the black base current production Mullard EL34s (which I believe will be supplied with this amp). They sound slightly veiled, closed-in, and not as harmonically rich as the XF4s. I figure if you are spending near 4K on a amp, a few hundred for tubes isn't that much. There's definitely a good bit of tube rolling options to tweak the sound.
The background story to this was that Anax bought something like 38 different capacitors to upgrade the interstage and feedback caps to his S7. (We wired in alligator clips for easy cap swaps and he almost died despite my warnings of high voltage and exposed wiring.) Anyways, Anax's experiments on the S7 also yielded good results for the Electra. The Jentzen silver caps are a little less grainy, more open and clear, more resolving, and has slightly better apparent bass extension than the stock WIMAs.
Edited by purrin - 12/29/12 at 11:32am
- Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Sony MA900 12 seconds ago
- › iFi Audio "Pro" desktop line discussion thread 35 seconds ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 5 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival 7 minutes ago
- › Low volume on IEM (Audio Teknika CK10) 7 minutes ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 8 minutes ago
- › tube or ss amp for HD800 ? 9 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 9 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 9 minutes ago
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2