Just ordered mine as well. Wondering if anyone has heard the newest reiteration of the Electra. I love my Super 7, so decided to take the Electra plunge sight unseen (or unheard).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 1/12/15 at 3:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Quick Review Thanks to Graham Slee for the loan. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/765465/graham-slee-solo-ultra-linear-review-by-mark2410 Brief: ...
Only issue is centered around 300Hz Can play Car Audio test track with massive bass and play an acoustic track next with no effect on one or the other without any adjustment. Pretty...
Graham Slee Majestic DAC Quick Review Thanks to Graham Slee for the loan. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/765442/graham-slee-majestic-dac-review-by-mark2410 Brief: A DAC for...
- Headphone Impedance
Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier - Page 16
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I wouldn't worry about it. The Electra had enough voltage to slam the diaphragm into the stators for a couple of headphones we tested (don't try this at home.) It did not have a problem driving the 007mk2.5 which I had on hand. My preference was for the 6L6 output tube with the 007. The 6L6 is less thick or bassy sounding than the EL34. The EL34 works best with the 009, but that also depends upon taste. I did not note any of the bass control issues typical of inferior amplification with the 007.
If you like Craig's amps, you should also like the Electra. The latest iteration is a little bit better sounding (more dynamic and open) than what I heard the the H3 meet using the same tubes (there were some tweaks). BTW, even the "lowly" ESP950 sounded absolutely wonderful. Better than anything else I've heard it on. $3,500 is a steal.
When I had the pre-production prototype for a few days, I ran Sylvania GTA chrome domes (the tubes I had on hand which I felt sounded closest to the BGRP) and Mullard XF4s. The amp at H3 also had CBS/RCA triangle plate 6SN7s, which tend to be among the more laid-back (but good) sounding 6SN7s. I did not care for the black base current production Mullard EL34s (which I believe will be supplied with this amp). They sound slightly veiled, closed-in, and not as harmonically rich as the XF4s. I figure if you are spending near 4K on a amp, a few hundred for tubes isn't that much. There's definitely a good bit of tube rolling options to tweak the sound.
The background story to this was that Anax bought something like 38 different capacitors to upgrade the interstage and feedback caps to his S7. (We wired in alligator clips for easy cap swaps and he almost died despite my warnings of high voltage and exposed wiring.) Anyways, Anax's experiments on the S7 also yielded good results for the Electra. The Jentzen silver caps are a little less grainy, more open and clear, more resolving, and has slightly better apparent bass extension than the stock WIMAs.
Edited by purrin - 12/29/12 at 11:32am
- Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 17 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 20 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 33 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 42 seconds ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 56 seconds ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 1 minute ago
- › Westone w40 short review, includes pictures. 1 minute ago
- › Recommended desktop amp for Grado RS2e 1 minute ago
- › Vape-Fi 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 3 minutes ago
- › Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Headphone Amplifier by mark2410
- › Topping VX1 2x25W Hi-Fi Power Stereo Subwoofer Amplifier... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Aurisonics ASG-2.5 Generic Fit Digital-Hybrid In-Ear Monitors in... by Hawaiibadboy
- › Graham Slee Majestic DAC by mark2410
- › MEElectronics HT-21 Travel Lightweight Headphone with Swivel Cups,... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by enthusiast
- › AUDIOTRAK Prodigy CUBE External USB Sound Card by YoYo JoKeR
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V3 by sarora
- › T-Peos Altone250 by nmatheis
- › Westone W30 Triple Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones,... by C.C.S.
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2