Anyone compared the Electra to a KGSS?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/24/14 at 11:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is my second attempt at a review of the Brainwavz S5, my first attempt ended up in the bin yesterday, as I was looking at it from the wrong angle (some forum members wanted a comparison to...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
- Headphone Impedance
Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier - Page 13
Pretty sure the differences between the EH-1.2 --> EH-1.3 --> EH-1.2b --> Jade are mostly changes to the build to improve durability. I have the 1.2b and Jade, and sonically they're the same to my ears.
And both still have crackling stators... : (
For me, the 007t/ii amp cures the brightness of the SR009s nicely and makes them sound nicely balanced and great overall, with a definitely audible tubey signature (which I personally crave), living up the the hype for these phones.
I've suggest this before around here, but I think anyone who is having brightness trouble with the 009s should really audition the Stax amp (the 007t/ii).
Nice listenable bass, tube-bloomy (but not over-plumped or flat, just right) mids, sweet highs.
I'm really liking these phones now, and they are getting a lot of listening time in my collection.
As a long-term former owner of the Omega 1 phones with the original 007t amp (all from 1999), the 009/007t-ii combo sound like a better-in-all-ways version of the original Omega system ,
with the same signature but with more realism, transparency, liquidity, staging, dynamics, image definition, and punch.
Edited by rgs9200m - 8/22/12 at 6:51am
Might be possible....need to talk to Craigy Weggy and see about this mini-meet dealio.
Just the WES. I'm not disparaging the amps I did not hear, I'm just suggesting that others (noting that some have reported brightness, including Jude in his early video review) give it a try, especially since it's about half the cost of alternative amps.
This amp sounded great at the SoCal meet and would be the Electrostatic amp that I would be interested in...not "too lush" but not as precise and clear as the T2 DIY.
Fantastic balance-point that I would want to spend more time with and also see how many phones sounded great with it!
Absolutely not. The trade-off in gain is not worth the compromised bandwidth according to Craig.
I don't know how you get that because my rebuilt es1 has 54 db of gain
and with 6sl7's the frequency response is absolutely flat from 20hz to
well past 40khz. With about 6db of feedback.
Well Craig didn't build an ES1.
"using 6SN7 tubes in the Electra the gain is 54dB, and the bandwidth is 10Hz to 60kHz. With 6SL7 tubes the bandwidth drops to 22kHz, but the gain goes up. That was before we switched to transformer coupling on the input stage, now the 6SL7 will not work there. Completely different amps."
- Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado Fan Club! 36 seconds ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Looking for full sized headphones 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › New Teac HA-P50-B Portable DAC Amp 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Duncan
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)