What is the difference between the regular and the SE? And is this supposed to be an "entry-level" model, that will be followed by something else later in the year?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/24/14 at 11:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Just some background stuff before the review...this is the second source i have owned dedicated to music (i.e not listening to music off my iphone) so i don't have much experience with high end...
I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack. Alternate setup: Samsung Galaxy S5 FIIO E18 + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to...
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
- Headphone Impedance
Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier - Page 2
One's OTL one's SET. Different tubes used as well - 6SN7's and 6L6's for the Electra, EF86's, a 6SN7, and KT120's (rollable with EL34's) for the SE. Transformer costs will pretty much make up the price difference (together with P2P vs PCB I guess although not sure if that accounts for much.)
I have asked Craig a couple times point blank if these are intended to be end game/TOTL amps. He assured me that while he has some ideas (a 300B stat amp and the like) for the future, he feels that on performance the Electra should hold up well against the big boys. Higher costs would chiefly go to cosmetics/chassis and the like.
Also, even if it does end up being "entry level" (and succeeded by other "more premium" designs) EC first run buyers don't tend to lose much if they do decide to sell later.
I hope to get a chance to compare all the major amps side by side this summer. Definitely an exciting (if costly) time to get into stats.
Edited by Radio_head - 5/31/12 at 8:01pm
I also heard from Craig there will be 3 different tube electrostatic amplifiers and one
solid state electrostatic amplifier. I think the third tube amplifier is the 300B version
with the 274B rectifier, I do not confirm the third one. It's good to know that the SE
version can be rollable with EL34, then I will wait for the SE as I have lots of EL34's but
none of the 6L6GC's. EF86 is not critical and not expensive.
Interesting. Didn't know he had an SS stat amp in the works. He's done it before with the ECSS but I figured he'd leave that to the KGSSHV and the LL (plus the stax offerings) and keep to the tube stuff which he's thought to specialize in.
So essentially what he's hoping for are parallel product lines - S7, ZDSE, 2A3, BA for dynamics, and Electra, SE, 300B long term project, and a solid state project. Lets call it Eddie Current Second Edition Solid State - or ECSESS for short. I'm not sure the stat market is there yet to support that many amps (let alone from one company,) but then again Craig can make smaller batches and runs than some other companies.
The line about the EL34 being rollable with the KT120 was off of memory from a conversation I had with him 3 or 4 months ago - before making that decision it might be prudent to double check with Craig.
To put things in perspective, 50% of the stuff he talks about never makes it to a prototype. And then another 50% never makes it to production. And then another 50% gets discontinued due to lack of interest.
As I understand it he would stagger these releases - if the Electra is successful and has plenty of demand, you release the SE. If both are well received and commercially viable, you add on the 300B, etc. In other words, he'd like to build them and he already has knows what he wants to do but will only follow through with releases if the market's there and interested. He's dropped things from his product line too when they didn't work out.
It's not like he's building 50 and then hoping someone buys them - he'll hold off releasing until he has a full or mostly full run.
So much of the amp market is about hype - the 2A3 for instance got a great review from JP only to languish in relative obscurity (I think maybe a handful purchased.) The BA and ZD/ZDSE have done well. The S7 is getting some good hype (and the new revision looks much better cosmetically than the first run) so that'll probably be successful too. The LF got the most hype of a dynamic amp in recent memory (from all the Canjam posts proclaiming the LCD-2/LF to be the best dynamic pairing ever.) These days (with amp saturation) if you want an amp to be successful you have to have fans who pop up in every "recommend me" thread extolling the virtues of your product.
FYI, Craig's got the 009s (and my 007s) with the Electra down at T.H.E SHOW. The amp isn't directly coupled, so it sounds more along the lines of the Aristaeus than the KGSS/BHSE. It wasn't a very good tonal match with the 007mk2.5s, mainly because the mk2s can tend to be bloated sounding. (BTW, he's running some thick sounding tubes, I know how those RCA 6SN7s tend to sound like. I'm going to bring down a pair of more neutral sounding tubes tomorrow like the Sylvanias.)
The good thing is that the midrange doesn't get all wierd and shouty when I crank up the volume, which I have found to be the case with 007/other amp combos. It's got some of that EC sound with the micro dynamic contrasts. Definitely worth checking out with the 009s or Lambdas. Otherwise it's really hard for me to say because he's running a different source, a Sony SACD player which I haven't heard before. There's a part of me that really wants to haul down the PWD.
Edited by purrin - 6/1/12 at 10:10pm
Had the privilege of listening to the 009's on the electra at the SHOW this past weekend, and my jaw dropped. It is simply the best I've heard from a headphone system - accurate and musical at same time, live sounding, very dynamic, out of head soundstage, and so smooth. They sounded good at low volume and even when I cranked it up, the sound was surpisingly non-fatiguing. They made the LCD-2/3s, also at the eddie current booth, sound veiled and muddy in comparison. It was my first time hearing the 009s as well as the electra so I am not sure which made the biggest difference, but they sounded really good together. I must have spent a good 15-20 minutes listening to them while a line formed behind me!
- Eddie Current Electra Electrostatic Amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › ROCK JAW Testers 14 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 21 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 2 minutes ago
- › Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement 2 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 3 minutes ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 3 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio Black Star Amp and iPod Classic 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Stock FW ver 2.1.0 (Latest... 5 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 5 minutes ago
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)