What are the best op amps for this combination and what setting do u reccomend the high gain which is to 250 ohm max or the 250 ohm plus one?
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone amp upgrade for HD 650 and Xonar Essence STX Last post on 6/12/12 at 4:30pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good amp to couple with HD650 and Asus STX sound card? Last post on 8/9/10 at 12:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What Headphones have the best sub-bass? Last post on 3/31/11 at 1:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for COMFORTABLE Audiophile grade headphones Last post on Today at 7:07 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Very High Quality Audio Solutions ($750-1000) for Gaming? Last post on 4/4/14 at 12:14am in Computer Audio
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
OP amps for Xonar STX and HD 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm enjoying the AD797BR's op-amps.
The gain setting is basically just a volume control, use whatever is loud enough at a "normal" (not very low or high) volume setting.
Regarding op-amps, I do not really believe they make much, if any useful difference, but care is needed with the AD797 in particular, since it is a very "fast" IC (110 MHz bandwidth compared to only 13 MHz with the stock NJM2114's), and is known to be difficult to implement properly and prone to oscillation (some examples of that can be found in the Essence One thread). I do not know if anyone with a sufficiently high speed oscilloscope tested the STX/AD797 combination for stability.
Ohm setting only affects gain, so use whichever gives you comfortable range on the volume control. I believe I used the middle one.
Talking about opamps, I think I've ended my quest for the perfect ones. Here are my impressions. All testing done through HP out with HD650s.
JRC2114 (default) : I actually think the default opamp for the card is a really good choice. Had it not been for the bassy and dark signature of my cans, I would have kept these. They actually sound the best with my HD595s. Bass is very deep, with perfect extension, just a bit too much in quality for the HD650s. The highs tend to be a bit rolled off, and the soundstage is pretty wide, but not deep and high. I imagine these would sound fantastic with headphones like K701/2 or DT880, but is too heavy for my current cans.
LT1364 : I didn't like these very much. Bass seems neutral, but lacks punch. Mid and highs are well balanced, but soundstage isn't that much better than 2114. Detail is improved. Sounds too weightless.
OPA2134 : Disappointment. As Alienns stated, the default opamps are just better. These have more bass, but the quality is degraded in comparison. With these opamps the bass on 650s sounded like the one on my HD212. (read: boomy) Highs are also rolled off. The soundstage isn't impressive, but opens a bit after burn-in. Sounded "dense", in the sense that all the sounds are too close to you and without good positioning.
LME49720 : All I can say is these babies ROCK. Bass lacks just a little bit of extension, but is very natural sounding and punchy. Highs are brighter than average, but that cancels out with the dark signature of my headphones well, resulting in an overall neutral tonality. Soundstage is absolutely awesome. You can easily position instruments in direction and distance. Has the depth other opamps are missing. All details are clearly present, but the sound is a bit distant due to the soundstaging. My current and final choice.
LM6172 : These are very close in sound to the LME49720. Biggest difference is that they aren't so distant sounding. That means less soundstage and a bit better bass. I didn't find the trade off worthwhile. Still a very valid choice.
I hope all of you find the perfect opamp match for your headphones. I have done it.
While the above descriptions exaggerate the differences between opamps for the sake of comparison, each one does produce a characteristic sound which is easily discernible from the others if you pay attention (no golden ears needed).
- OP amps for Xonar STX and HD 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 24 seconds ago
- › The Basshead Club 42 seconds ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Appreciation Society 1 minute ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Welcome & Introduction for DC/VA/MD Head-Fiers 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion,... 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 2 minutes ago
- › Battlefield 4 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob