What are the best op amps for this combination and what setting do u reccomend the high gain which is to 250 ohm max or the 250 ohm plus one?
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone amp upgrade for HD 650 and Xonar Essence STX Last post on 6/12/12 at 4:30pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Good amp to couple with HD650 and Asus STX sound card? Last post on 8/9/10 at 12:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What Headphones have the best sub-bass? Last post on 3/31/11 at 1:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 + Vali + Xonar Essense STX Last post on 5/27/15 at 11:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recently just picked up a STX Xonar Essence, don't know what closed headphones to choose for... Last post on 7/15/14 at 2:52am in Headphones (full-size)
You got a budget? You want Bluetooth Earphones? Buy the Qy7. Simple. Done. Easy. There is a little more to it though. Important features is the V4.1 Bluetooth connection, this...
What is Cozoy Aegis?: Did you remember Cozoy Astrapi DAC/AMP? Well this is the brother of it Aegis (right) Aegis (left) and Astrapi (right) Cozoy Aegis is a...
You probably already know OPPO as a smartphone brand, but the company called OPPO Digital isn’t exactly the same. It is the American sister company of the Chinese smartphone company, and its main...
Design/durability: The earpiece seems very durable, although there are some light finish issues. The braided cable is one of the best in the industry: there are barely any microphonics, it feels...
They sound better than anything I've heard at this price point. I use these earbuds with my iPod Nano every day. The one thing that makes these things annoying as crap is the stupid cable that gets...
OP amps for Xonar STX and HD 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm enjoying the AD797BR's op-amps.
The gain setting is basically just a volume control, use whatever is loud enough at a "normal" (not very low or high) volume setting.
Regarding op-amps, I do not really believe they make much, if any useful difference, but care is needed with the AD797 in particular, since it is a very "fast" IC (110 MHz bandwidth compared to only 13 MHz with the stock NJM2114's), and is known to be difficult to implement properly and prone to oscillation (some examples of that can be found in the Essence One thread). I do not know if anyone with a sufficiently high speed oscilloscope tested the STX/AD797 combination for stability.
Ohm setting only affects gain, so use whichever gives you comfortable range on the volume control. I believe I used the middle one.
Talking about opamps, I think I've ended my quest for the perfect ones. Here are my impressions. All testing done through HP out with HD650s.
JRC2114 (default) : I actually think the default opamp for the card is a really good choice. Had it not been for the bassy and dark signature of my cans, I would have kept these. They actually sound the best with my HD595s. Bass is very deep, with perfect extension, just a bit too much in quality for the HD650s. The highs tend to be a bit rolled off, and the soundstage is pretty wide, but not deep and high. I imagine these would sound fantastic with headphones like K701/2 or DT880, but is too heavy for my current cans.
LT1364 : I didn't like these very much. Bass seems neutral, but lacks punch. Mid and highs are well balanced, but soundstage isn't that much better than 2114. Detail is improved. Sounds too weightless.
OPA2134 : Disappointment. As Alienns stated, the default opamps are just better. These have more bass, but the quality is degraded in comparison. With these opamps the bass on 650s sounded like the one on my HD212. (read: boomy) Highs are also rolled off. The soundstage isn't impressive, but opens a bit after burn-in. Sounded "dense", in the sense that all the sounds are too close to you and without good positioning.
LME49720 : All I can say is these babies ROCK. Bass lacks just a little bit of extension, but is very natural sounding and punchy. Highs are brighter than average, but that cancels out with the dark signature of my headphones well, resulting in an overall neutral tonality. Soundstage is absolutely awesome. You can easily position instruments in direction and distance. Has the depth other opamps are missing. All details are clearly present, but the sound is a bit distant due to the soundstaging. My current and final choice.
LM6172 : These are very close in sound to the LME49720. Biggest difference is that they aren't so distant sounding. That means less soundstage and a bit better bass. I didn't find the trade off worthwhile. Still a very valid choice.
I hope all of you find the perfect opamp match for your headphones. I have done it.
While the above descriptions exaggerate the differences between opamps for the sake of comparison, each one does produce a characteristic sound which is easily discernible from the others if you pay attention (no golden ears needed).
- OP amps for Xonar STX and HD 650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 15 seconds ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 45 seconds ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 1 minute ago
- › Future Sonics Atrio M5 + Extras 1 minute ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 2 minutes ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › Intro and request for help. Warning. I like "fun" headphones. 4 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE6000 4 minutes ago
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by BloodyPenguin
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by Baycode
- › OPPO HA-2 by ClieOS
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by Mediahound
- › Noble Audio Savant by daduy
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2