New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dark Souls! - Page 7

post #91 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo View Post

 

 

I find it odd that I'm just now realizing some weapons are better once you hit a certain level. I wish to dear god I had more strength now cause I want to wield the beast that is the Grant, something I unwittingly picked up from Paladin Leroy when I killed him Tomb of the Giants. Its weight's 24, have to have a 50 strength, heaviest weapon in the game save for Smough's Hammer. And evidently has a special R2 attack similar to Wrath of the Gods but better. Want.


Use it 2-handed, so you only need the 34 Strength.  Problem is, you also need  a 30 Faith stat to use it.

 

If you cut off the tail of the Gaping Dragon back in the Depths, the Dragon King Greataxe has the same stats: a 50 strength requirement and the same AOE special attack that's similar to the Wrath of the Gods Miracle.  But it also ups your Magic and Fire defense simply by having it equipped.  The Grant doesn't have those defense bonuses afaik.

post #92 of 188

Okay, so I see a lot of people on here that seem like they are getting into the swing of things on Dark Souls.  Let me offer some advise to anyone who wants to listen to it :).  Okay so first and foremost, any player can do well as long as he knows the rules of combat.  Soul level 1 play throughs are possible with correct item raising etc.  This illusrates the importance of combat tactics, learn your parrys and dodges!

 

Secondly, decide on what type of character you want and stick with it.  Balanced characters are nearly impossible if you want to ever beat an invader, or invade for that matter.  Make a DEX build, STR, or INTE respectively, FAITH is another good class choice if you incorporate divine/occult clubs, the same is true of intelligence builds with enchanted things.  These give you the capability of killing things at close range as well as kicking butt with sorceries/miracles.  CHOOSE WISELY!

 

To go along with my previous point, make your choice and wear the according armour.  If you are a light build wear light armour unless you have excessive endurance.  Medium, medium armour etc.  The same is true of the weapons, which should fit into place anyways, seeing as most scale.  If for instance though, you love faith, but want to cast sorcery, you can grab the tin dark moon catalyst.  Velkas talisman is the reverse, for intelligence users that want faith.

 

In PVP, do not be a jerk, people will tend to respect you if you respect them and don't backstab fish or spam wrath of the gods etc.  Never ever, ever, ever sit and spam the regular attack at an invader, any compitent person will have you parried and dead in seconds.  Use your environment, gain separation if you need to, use drop attacks, kicks, but avoid aggroing coms.

 

Lastly, take the time to explore everything, and I mean everything.  Always spend souls when you can, and never hoard them unless you are very experienced/need to save for an item.  This game is unforgiving to the point of being torturous to people who do not manage humanity or souls well.  AND ABOVE ALL ELSE STAY CALM AND COMPOSED.  Most deaths in Dark Souls will happen when you panic, just be chill and enjoy the ride and absorb the amazing story that is Dark Souls.

post #93 of 188

140 hours into this game and only 1 character on NG+. Finally getting sick of it, but most likely i'll try to make a completely different character. In all the RPGs i've played, I've never liked magic based characters but I guess it's worth a try.

 

For a whole week I just wasted time right after finishing off the Four Kings on NG+.Just leveled up all my weapons and right now I somehow have 5 +15 weapons. Got lucky with Slab drops one day.

 

I love the Halberd+15 the most, but on some enemies it's totally worthless. I also found out that the Falchion+14 and Butcher Knife+14 are really good and better than expected.

 

What I can't figure out is why my Halberd+15 does way more damage than even my Greataxe+14 (606 damage). I hit Dark Wraiths for like 344 damage per hit (not in chain) and with the Great Axe it's much less.

 

I also found out I can easily kill the toughest Giants with even a Broadsword +15 with chain attacks (whatever they call them in this game). I switched to a slower weapon and it's a little tougher and more time consuming.

 

I'm at level 130 or something right now and there is not much worth leveling.

 

Oh I finally decided to advance in NG+ further and got through Duke's Archive rather easily. Only died once through the Crystal Cave. Seath the Scaleless is ridiculously easy for me.

 

It'll be interesting starting up with a new character to see how much easier it will be. Who knows..maybe it's harder at the start and gets easier and easier.

 

Maybe I should just go buy Farcry 3..

 

Hard to believe I have 140 hours into this game! Skyrim only had 100 and this is much better. I probably have several hundred into Fallout 3. Love that game..

post #94 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

140 hours into this game and only 1 character on NG+. Finally getting sick of it, but most likely i'll try to make a completely different character. In all the RPGs i've played, I've never liked magic based characters but I guess it's worth a try.

 

For a whole week I just wasted time right after finishing off the Four Kings on NG+.Just leveled up all my weapons and right now I somehow have 5 +15 weapons. Got lucky with Slab drops one day.

 

I love the Halberd+15 the most, but on some enemies it's totally worthless. I also found out that the Falchion+14 and Butcher Knife+14 are really good and better than expected.

 

What I can't figure out is why my Halberd+15 does way more damage than even my Greataxe+14 (606 damage). I hit Dark Wraiths for like 344 damage per hit (not in chain) and with the Great Axe it's much less.

 

I also found out I can easily kill the toughest Giants with even a Broadsword +15 with chain attacks (whatever they call them in this game). I switched to a slower weapon and it's a little tougher and more time consuming.

 

I'm at level 130 or something right now and there is not much worth leveling.

 

Oh I finally decided to advance in NG+ further and got through Duke's Archive rather easily. Only died once through the Crystal Cave. Seath the Scaleless is ridiculously easy for me.

 

It'll be interesting starting up with a new character to see how much easier it will be. Who knows..maybe it's harder at the start and gets easier and easier.

 

Maybe I should just go buy Farcry 3..

 

Hard to believe I have 140 hours into this game! Skyrim only had 100 and this is much better. I probably have several hundred into Fallout 3. Love that game..

there is more than one type of physical attack and return more than one type of physical defense, darkwraiths are like weak to thrusting attacks

post #95 of 188
Quote:
140 hours into this game and only 1 character on NG+. Finally getting sick of it, but most likely i'll try to make a completely different character. In all the RPGs i've played, I've never liked magic based characters but I guess it's worth a try.

You can try a DEX/INT character. A mixture of both sides. Main weapon are fast ones like katanas, and you can enchant them for a lot of damage, and also you have some good spells.

 

I dont like mages character but this one is reliable and fun.

 

 

Quote:

It'll be interesting starting up with a new character to see how much easier it will be. Who knows..maybe it's harder at the start and gets easier and easier.

It will be a lot easier. And a lot shorter too!

post #96 of 188

Started a new character today and picked Thief since it had a nice balance of INT and DEX and I wanted the master key.

 

Man it stinks as a starter character! Each skeleton takes me like 6 hits with that awful Thief's knife. Taurus Demon actually took me 3 tries with the crummy knife and weak shield. I ran through the graveyard for a better weapon but they required too much STR for my weak character.

 

At level 21 I beat the Gargoyles after 3 attempts. Definitely not as hard as the previous try. I just had to make sure to keep a ton of space between the two of them. I only had the Longsword+5, but I ran through the forest for some Elite Knight's Gear. The butterfly is just stupid easy now.

 

I have to say one of my least favorite bosses is the Capra Demon. Just an annoying hassle mainly due to the camera.

 

BTW I actually got killed several times from skeletons double teaming me at low levels..pretty funny. That's what I get for being in a hurry.

 

So much quicker to get through this game when you know your way around it.


Edited by tdockweiler - 2/16/13 at 2:46pm
post #97 of 188

^ I did the exact same thing on the character I have right now. First thing i did was go and grabbed Astora's straight sword as it's accessible right off the bat in a new game and with a brand new character you need a decent weapon. Plus you can he-man your way through the catacombs and get the rite of kindling right off the bat with that sword cause it has a blessing that kills those skeletons without having to kill the necromancer first.

 

Then you can get 20 estus flasks very early on and that helps a ton for me.

post #98 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earsopenmusicon View Post

In PVP, do not be a jerk, people will tend to respect you if you respect them and don't backstab fish or spam wrath of the gods etc.  Never ever, ever, ever sit and spam the regular attack at an invader, any compitent person will have you parried and dead in seconds.  Use your environment, gain separation if you need to, use drop attacks, kicks, but avoid aggroing coms.

 

 

 

Have to disagree with you about "spam"-ing or whatever the hell it's called. What's wrong with using this spell to kill people? I've worked long and hard to get that miracle to strike as hard as it does and it makes me feel so awesome to use it cause I'm not a very good at PvP otherwise. I mean I sneak it in and use it for a very effective mix of combat but is that frowned upon?

 

Keep in mind this is, after all, Dark Souls. There are no rules. People forget this.

post #99 of 188

bad pvp'ers will try to make up rules to make up for their weaknesses, good players know how not to get hit with any form of attack

post #100 of 188

Exactly. I've gotten my ass handed to me plenty of times trying to "spam" wrath of the gods. They do it right back and get me. So then you gotta change tactics. Or people know how to roll dodge it which is pretty easy if you know how. The key to that spell is to use it creatively, preferably when the other guy has no way of knowing you're casting it. Then go after him with a claymore.

 

I got into a huge hate mail match with a guy who just couldn't get over the fact he didn't know how to counter the miracle. Kept calling me cheap and noob and then started with juvenile namebashing after which I just ignored him. But then again I'm a Darkmoon and he was the host in dark Anor Londo so he coulda been like level 50 and i'm a 212 level with a faith of 52 wearing the crown dusk and ring of the firstborn casting with the darkmoon talisman. I guess he didn't like losing, but you've gotta expect that with blue phantoms. Sorry pal, lol.


Edited by Paganini Alfredo - 2/18/13 at 5:51pm
post #101 of 188

Yeah, I'm always laughing at hate mail - that's a game and there aren't any written rules or some sort of knight's honor. With that said, the morons in Anor Londo who just camp on the rafters above the hall with the painting to the world of Aramis are seriously annoying. They just wait for you to start crossing the rafters and shoot you down with a great bow - I'm sorry but that's not PvP - that's just being a jerk. I've seen some compilations online of guys who probably think that's cool but it's not. Or something like that - I've never had this happen to me but this is a class A jerk. It's easy being a jerk with 2 black knights with greatbows as backup and a narrow edge for your target


Edited by kova4a - 2/18/13 at 6:32pm
post #102 of 188

even that's still part of the game, honestly though, lvl 50 anor londo is the most fun to pvp/invasions, not a whole lot of strong characters in that SL

post #103 of 188

Well griefing is a part of a lot of games but that doesn't mean it's fine. That's pretty much the only thing that can make me angry in PvP - anything else like spell and miracle casting and back stabbing is a legit strategy that depending on the build you're using.

post #104 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo View Post

^ I did the exact same thing on the character I have right now. First thing i did was go and grabbed Astora's straight sword as it's accessible right off the bat in a new game and with a brand new character you need a decent weapon. Plus you can he-man your way through the catacombs and get the rite of kindling right off the bat with that sword cause it has a blessing that kills those skeletons without having to kill the necromancer first.

 

Then you can get 20 estus flasks very early on and that helps a ton for me.

 

I thought I'd be flying through the game but I got "stuck" temporarily on the Capra Demon and had to level my skills some. Then I realized it takes forever to level up with only 200xp per kill and not doing the Dragon Fire "cheat". I must have killed about  a hundred wraiths and not a single large titanite drop. My weapons right now are stuck at +5. No big deal. Guess i'll farm slimes since I just realized the wraiths in Undead Parish don't drop them..no wonder I wasn't getting any!

 

Capra Demon gave me issues so I ended up cheating and getting the Drake Sword. I went in there and just started swinging like a crazy man and he was dead with only 1 flask being used. I staggered him a ton with 2-handed attacks and that's the only reason I probably didn't die. My most powerful weapon that isn't too heavy is just the Longsword+5 (a whole 150dmg!) and Winged Spear+5. VIT is stuck at level 9. Maybe I should level that some biggrin.gif Winged Spear is addicting at low levels though...

 

BTW it stinks not being able to use all the Elite Knights Armor without being able to walk fast. I need to level up my endurance past 20 or get Havel's Ring. I always get 1-shotted by that guy..

post #105 of 188

Pretty funny, but my VIT is so low I was getting one shotted by the Gaping Dragon yesterday.

It took me FOUR attempts even with Solaire. How sad...it was stuck at 9 biggrin.gif

 

I got him to 5% and he eats me and I'm dead instantly.

 

The AI for him is kind of stupid. I think I could wander around inside his room for an hour and not get hit as long as I'm far away from him.

 

It also seems like Spears are worthless about 50% of the time. Oh well...I still like them.

I can now fully understand how using the Drake Sword earlier on makes everything too easy...

 

Think I'm only at SL25 or so and should level up a little before going to Blightown. Hate that place..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion