I used special glue for shoes and leather. It does the job and stretches somewhat if there is strain on it. I can't say I noticed any foam melting.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandGradotagged by System, 5/29/12
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productKoss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Grado Sr325is vs RS2i vs PS500 Last post on 12/15/13 at 6:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help Deciding Between Some Grados Last post on 6/14/12 at 8:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- :"Woodied" Grado Review and Impressions Thread Last post on 12/7/14 at 10:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado Last post on 11/29/11 at 7:40am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado Fan Club! Last post on Today at 6:55 am in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I get into my review, some disclosure: I received a free loaner unit as part of a mini North American tour, set up and sponsored by @EmpJ of CTC Audio. I got to keep the unit for a...
First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit. Packaging and Accessories I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without...
These have been the best headphones I have used for $99. For the few weeks they worked, it was amazing. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the right earcup detached from the headband. They seem to...
It was a long time since I orignally intended to write this review as I wanted to check black Velvet in addition to the Crystal velvet I've had. You can find a lot of impression on Head-fi...
The ATH-CK9’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. Built and accessories: The ATH-CKR9 is a dual dynamic IEM featuring two 13mm drivers. The drivers are...
The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design - Page 2post #16 of 1885/29/12 at 12:56amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1885/29/12 at 12:58ampost #18 of 1885/29/12 at 1:24amThread Starter
For a start I would scavenge on a used Grado, a SR60 or similar. So you would have the shells and headband. The Koss drivers are about $20 where I live. Modding materials are almost next to nothing (some stiff plastic, felt or foam. cotton balls).
If you find you like what you hear, you could buy some L-cushs and soft leather (should be around $40).
Finally the wood shells. I would only buy those if I liked the sound and preferred it over other closed sets. As I said in my first post I had some unused shells lying around from previous projects, so I did not have to invest in making or buying them. The price of the wood shells could be quite high, depending on the wood species and artisan quality ( > $100). I made the wood shells myself, so I paid only the wood price.
post #19 of 1885/31/12 at 12:49ampost #20 of 1886/1/12 at 4:03pmpost #21 of 1886/1/12 at 4:21pmQuote:
If he is in the US, that might be a great idea. The shipping cost from Austria though...post #22 of 1886/1/12 at 4:22pmQuote:
That's true. I didn't notice the Austria part.post #23 of 1886/1/12 at 4:28pmpost #24 of 1886/1/12 at 5:15pmpost #25 of 1886/1/12 at 6:57pm
These headphone look awesome. With all the time you spent making them, they'd better sound good.
If they sound good, you could sell them like hot cakes.
I like the ksc75 sound, but I think the housing of drivers is suboptimal.post #26 of 1886/1/12 at 10:24pm
Any thoughts on combining this mod with the quarter mod/Kramer mod, or resistor mod? The quarter mod makes the sound more forward/bright while adding resistors tightens up the bass. I've been using a heavily-modded KSC75 for awhile now and while I love the way they currently sound, I'm tempted to try out this mod in combination with others.
Relevant old threads:post #27 of 1886/2/12 at 12:27amThread Starter
I am focussing on the closed design, not so much on optimizing the KSC-75 performance itself. That can come later.
As for measurements, I was counting on you people in the States(the lostMIDrange especially) to build a set of Stratokossters and sending them in, since it would be considerably cheaper. I contacted Tyll and Purrin, and Purrin would be ready to measure them. If nobody else does, I will send them in, just for the greater good.
If measurements prove satisfactory, one can always improve and finetune the setup by applying damping and dampening schemes. If measurements tell me that the idea is crap, then I can move on.
I am not interested in selling any of my sets. I could easily put Magnum drivers in the wood shells and sell them at a good price. But I am interested in creating a new setup and if it proves good, you might copy it and take as much pleasure in it as I do. That's what I think a forum like this and especially modding are all about.
All I can say is that to my ears it sounds great, especially with the leather-lined L-chushs. I often switch from the Mags or HE-500s to the StratoKOSSters and I love them. Plus, I can use them without disturbing anybody nearby, because it isolates very well.
Edited by stratocaster - 6/2/12 at 12:29ampost #28 of 1886/15/12 at 9:33amThread Starterpost #29 of 1886/16/12 at 1:58pmpost #30 of 1886/16/12 at 3:35pmQuote:
Purrin said that the 4khz dip was a measurement artifact. It probably doesn't have nearly that type of dip, looking at the waterfall CSD.
- The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Objectivists board room 23 seconds ago
- › Looking For Headphones $400 And Under 36 seconds ago
- › Grado modders go Magnum 49 seconds ago
- › Calyx PaT - The $99 Pocket Sized DAC/Amp for iOS, Android and... 1 minute ago
- › Cayin C5DAC USB DAC Headphone Amplifier World Tour --Reviewers Wanted. 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution? 1 minute ago
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S Review by mark2410 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 3 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › Grado Labs SR80e by SeraphSolus
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by chowmein83
- › Alclair Curve by Brooko
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by wofsie
- › Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones by Chiek
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2