I used special glue for shoes and leather. It does the job and stretches somewhat if there is strain on it. I can't say I noticed any foam melting.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandGradotagged by System, 5/29/12
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productKoss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Grado Sr325is vs RS2i vs PS500 Last post on 12/15/13 at 6:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help Deciding Between Some Grados Last post on 6/14/12 at 8:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- :"Woodied" Grado Review and Impressions Thread Last post on 12/7/14 at 10:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado Last post on 11/29/11 at 7:40am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado Fan Club! Last post on Today at 11:08 am in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Here we go again. It seems like every other review I've done lately has been on some product from this up-and-coming company that is making a name for itself. Luckily for us, this IEM from...
I tested it with Dr.Chesky's Binaural album and Depeche Mode flacs. What I like most is of course bass response..it is more than enough, maybe a bit exaggerated, aggressive. Overall, I am...
I used this sound card for 5 years. It replaced that time my previous card M-Audio Audiophile 2496. As far as I know at present (2014/2015) it is not possible to buy this card as new in Europe....
So I got these real cheap, I thought what the heck for $15 I can't go wrong.....I was wrong. Well they are listenable, I hardly call them a gaming headphone besides the mic built in, explosions...
Well I only had it for a week now and being listening to it about 3-5 hours a day even before I go to bed yes this is how good it is to me. My only other DAP's I have it to compare to are the DX50...
The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design - Page 2post #16 of 1815/29/12 at 12:56amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1815/29/12 at 12:58ampost #18 of 1815/29/12 at 1:24amThread Starter
For a start I would scavenge on a used Grado, a SR60 or similar. So you would have the shells and headband. The Koss drivers are about $20 where I live. Modding materials are almost next to nothing (some stiff plastic, felt or foam. cotton balls).
If you find you like what you hear, you could buy some L-cushs and soft leather (should be around $40).
Finally the wood shells. I would only buy those if I liked the sound and preferred it over other closed sets. As I said in my first post I had some unused shells lying around from previous projects, so I did not have to invest in making or buying them. The price of the wood shells could be quite high, depending on the wood species and artisan quality ( > $100). I made the wood shells myself, so I paid only the wood price.
post #19 of 1815/31/12 at 12:49ampost #20 of 1816/1/12 at 4:03pmpost #21 of 1816/1/12 at 4:21pmQuote:
If he is in the US, that might be a great idea. The shipping cost from Austria though...post #22 of 1816/1/12 at 4:22pmQuote:
That's true. I didn't notice the Austria part.post #23 of 1816/1/12 at 4:28pmpost #24 of 1816/1/12 at 5:15pmpost #25 of 1816/1/12 at 6:57pm
These headphone look awesome. With all the time you spent making them, they'd better sound good.
If they sound good, you could sell them like hot cakes.
I like the ksc75 sound, but I think the housing of drivers is suboptimal.post #26 of 1816/1/12 at 10:24pm
Any thoughts on combining this mod with the quarter mod/Kramer mod, or resistor mod? The quarter mod makes the sound more forward/bright while adding resistors tightens up the bass. I've been using a heavily-modded KSC75 for awhile now and while I love the way they currently sound, I'm tempted to try out this mod in combination with others.
Relevant old threads:post #27 of 1816/2/12 at 12:27amThread Starter
I am focussing on the closed design, not so much on optimizing the KSC-75 performance itself. That can come later.
As for measurements, I was counting on you people in the States(the lostMIDrange especially) to build a set of Stratokossters and sending them in, since it would be considerably cheaper. I contacted Tyll and Purrin, and Purrin would be ready to measure them. If nobody else does, I will send them in, just for the greater good.
If measurements prove satisfactory, one can always improve and finetune the setup by applying damping and dampening schemes. If measurements tell me that the idea is crap, then I can move on.
I am not interested in selling any of my sets. I could easily put Magnum drivers in the wood shells and sell them at a good price. But I am interested in creating a new setup and if it proves good, you might copy it and take as much pleasure in it as I do. That's what I think a forum like this and especially modding are all about.
All I can say is that to my ears it sounds great, especially with the leather-lined L-chushs. I often switch from the Mags or HE-500s to the StratoKOSSters and I love them. Plus, I can use them without disturbing anybody nearby, because it isolates very well.
Edited by stratocaster - 6/2/12 at 12:29ampost #28 of 1816/15/12 at 9:33amThread Starterpost #29 of 1816/16/12 at 1:58pmpost #30 of 1816/16/12 at 3:35pmQuote:
Purrin said that the 4khz dip was a measurement artifact. It probably doesn't have nearly that type of dip, looking at the waterfall CSD.
- The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 30 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Note 4.1 (kit fine) 2 minutes ago
- › Why are the PS1000e so underrated?! 2 minutes ago
- › Please help me, my studio monitors were stolen and I want a good... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum vs Sol Republic Tracks HD... Help? What am I... 3 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › what COMPANY makes the best headphones 5 minutes ago
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by JoeDoe
- › Koss RUK 30K Noise Isolating In-Ear Stereophone, Black by ajlan
- › Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi by Ataka
- › Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset by TsukiNick
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by AudioGG
- › The House of Marley Liberate XL BT by Giogio
- › Bang & Olufsen A8 Earphones by fjhuerta
- › JBL Synchros 400BT Bluetooth Wireless On-Ear Stereo Headphones, Black by Giogio
- › JBL J56 BT Bluetooth Wireless On-Ear Stereo Headphone, Black by Giogio
- › Jabra REVO Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones - Retail Packaging... by Giogio
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)