I used special glue for shoes and leather. It does the job and stretches somewhat if there is strain on it. I can't say I noticed any foam melting.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandGradotagged by System, 5/29/12
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productKoss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Grado Sr325is vs RS2i vs PS500 Last post on 12/15/13 at 6:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help Deciding Between Some Grados Last post on 6/14/12 at 8:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- :"Woodied" Grado Review and Impressions Thread Last post on 12/7/14 at 10:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado Last post on 11/29/11 at 7:40am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado Fan Club! Last post on Today at 2:19 am in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 12/30/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
MY GOD!!! I have just received my headphones! I have been putting them through there initial paces straight from the box, after just 30 mins I have had to come here to let you know my experience so...
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Accutone is a company that specializes in hands-free communications solutions but they've taken their experience and expertise and used it to create a series of consumer earphones. From their...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design - Page 2post #16 of 2015/29/12 at 12:56amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2015/29/12 at 12:58ampost #18 of 2015/29/12 at 1:24amThread Starter
For a start I would scavenge on a used Grado, a SR60 or similar. So you would have the shells and headband. The Koss drivers are about $20 where I live. Modding materials are almost next to nothing (some stiff plastic, felt or foam. cotton balls).
If you find you like what you hear, you could buy some L-cushs and soft leather (should be around $40).
Finally the wood shells. I would only buy those if I liked the sound and preferred it over other closed sets. As I said in my first post I had some unused shells lying around from previous projects, so I did not have to invest in making or buying them. The price of the wood shells could be quite high, depending on the wood species and artisan quality ( > $100). I made the wood shells myself, so I paid only the wood price.
post #19 of 2015/31/12 at 12:49ampost #20 of 2016/1/12 at 4:03pmpost #21 of 2016/1/12 at 4:21pmQuote:
If he is in the US, that might be a great idea. The shipping cost from Austria though...post #22 of 2016/1/12 at 4:22pmpost #23 of 2016/1/12 at 4:28pmpost #24 of 2016/1/12 at 5:15pmpost #25 of 2016/1/12 at 6:57pm
These headphone look awesome. With all the time you spent making them, they'd better sound good.
If they sound good, you could sell them like hot cakes.
I like the ksc75 sound, but I think the housing of drivers is suboptimal.post #26 of 2016/1/12 at 10:24pm
Any thoughts on combining this mod with the quarter mod/Kramer mod, or resistor mod? The quarter mod makes the sound more forward/bright while adding resistors tightens up the bass. I've been using a heavily-modded KSC75 for awhile now and while I love the way they currently sound, I'm tempted to try out this mod in combination with others.
Relevant old threads:post #27 of 2016/2/12 at 12:27amThread Starter
I am focussing on the closed design, not so much on optimizing the KSC-75 performance itself. That can come later.
As for measurements, I was counting on you people in the States(the lostMIDrange especially) to build a set of Stratokossters and sending them in, since it would be considerably cheaper. I contacted Tyll and Purrin, and Purrin would be ready to measure them. If nobody else does, I will send them in, just for the greater good.
If measurements prove satisfactory, one can always improve and finetune the setup by applying damping and dampening schemes. If measurements tell me that the idea is crap, then I can move on.
I am not interested in selling any of my sets. I could easily put Magnum drivers in the wood shells and sell them at a good price. But I am interested in creating a new setup and if it proves good, you might copy it and take as much pleasure in it as I do. That's what I think a forum like this and especially modding are all about.
All I can say is that to my ears it sounds great, especially with the leather-lined L-chushs. I often switch from the Mags or HE-500s to the StratoKOSSters and I love them. Plus, I can use them without disturbing anybody nearby, because it isolates very well.
Edited by stratocaster - 6/2/12 at 12:29ampost #28 of 2016/15/12 at 9:33amThread Starterpost #29 of 2016/16/12 at 1:58pmpost #30 of 2016/16/12 at 3:35pmQuote:
Purrin said that the 4khz dip was a measurement artifact. It probably doesn't have nearly that type of dip, looking at the waterfall CSD.
- The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › IBasso Audio IT03 35 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 45 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › How do I have over 9,000 avatar views?! 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Smyth Research Realiser A16 4 minutes ago
- › The Shenzhen Benjie BJ-T6 / AGPtek Rocker 6 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear