Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design - Page 8

post #106 of 168
Thread Starter 

@ambchang: These pads look rather smallish, but still you will get most of the StratoKOSSter sound. Just make sure that the cups are fully closed and that the pads are mounted tightly. Also use some damping material in the cups. I use a disc of felt that covers the cup bottom and foam (medium density) or sheep's wool to fill the cup.

I prefer the lined L-cushs, because the inner diameter is almost 4 cm and so the driver is not covered by anything.
 

post #107 of 168
Thread Starter 

StratoKOSSter V2

 

I have been using Koss KSC-35 drivers instead of KSC-75 drivers for the V2. While the midrange and lower frequencies remain pretty much as they were, the higher frequencies are a tad more refined and cleaner sounding than compared with the 75 drivers.

As for the damping, the foam should not fill the whole cup. If it presses against the drivers, the Stratos sound a little thin. When there is a kind of air cushion between drivers and foam, they perform best with the most balanced sound.

post #108 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratocaster View Post

StratoKOSSter V2

 

I have been using Koss KSC-35 drivers instead of KSC-75 drivers for the V2. While the midrange and lower frequencies remain pretty much as they were, the higher frequencies are a tad more refined and cleaner sounding than compared with the 75 drivers.

As for the damping, the foam should not fill the whole cup. If it presses against the drivers, the Stratos sound a little thin. When there is a kind of air cushion between drivers and foam, they perform best with the most balanced sound.

told ya! I think.. IF NOT I THOUGHT IT.

post #109 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratocaster View Post

StratoKOSSter V2

 

I have been using Koss KSC-35 drivers instead of KSC-75 drivers for the V2. While the midrange and lower frequencies remain pretty much as they were, the higher frequencies are a tad more refined and cleaner sounding than compared with the 75 drivers.

As for the damping, the foam should not fill the whole cup. If it presses against the drivers, the Stratos sound a little thin. When there is a kind of air cushion between drivers and foam, they perform best with the most balanced sound.

 

Glad to hear the KSC-35 drivers add a bit of refinement to the higher frequencies as you expected. I'm still very much enjoying the Strato V1.

post #110 of 168
Thread Starter 

I am happy that you still enjoy them, MF. The improvement with the KSC-35s is noticeable, but really just in nuances. The KSC-75 drivers are really quite stunning for their price. One also has to take into consideration that the 35s are difficult to get outside the States. In my opinion the 75s do the job just fine.

post #111 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratocaster View Post

I am happy that you still enjoy them, MF. The improvement with the KSC-35s is noticeable, but really just in nuances. The KSC-75 drivers are really quite stunning for their price. One also has to take into consideration that the 35s are difficult to get outside the States. In my opinion the 75s do the job just fine.

save yourself some trouble, just buy a pair of sportapros or Portapros, if you feel like paying more for some reason.

 

*edit* there is one difference, the plug on the sportapros is angled, and the drivers are black.. the portapros have an absolutely terrible plug, and blue drivers. That said, I'd go with the sportapros for 22 bucks.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155475-SportaPro-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00001P505/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345739442&sr=8-1&keywords=sportapro

 

*edit*


Ignore anyone talking about differences in sound. they come from the headband itself, if anywhere. The drivers ARE the same.


Edited by chrislangley4253 - 8/23/12 at 9:31am
post #112 of 168
Thread Starter 

As you can see in the following frequency response graphs (both taken from changstar), the ksc-35's do show better performance above 3KHz than the 75's. Now as you know both 35's and 75's are clip-on models and differences in sound most probably are driver related. Having listened to both, they are both quite bright but the 35's are cleaner and more refined. Also, driver matching seems just immaculate.

 

 

post #113 of 168

Beautiful work for a rather good looking*response and build wise* on a rather cheap budget.

post #114 of 168

After reading the start of this thread, I ordered a pair of KSC75's and I've mounted them in a pair of 3M earmuffs for work purposes.

 

I drilled holes in the cups and rerouted the cables into them before resoldering, sealed the holes with hot glue and lined the cups with a generous layer of dynamat. I added some pieces of and old soundproofing foam mat for cars into each ear, for stability and dampening. Then I sealed the creases up with a bit of hot glue. 

 

And the result was.. Fantastic! I think they sound quite close to my heavily modded SR-60s, actually. Not quite as bright, but the highs are really smooth and crisp. Lots of detail. Not as bassy, but tighter and more extended lows. They're one of the the least fatigueing headphones I've worn. And the most comfortable, aside from my GS1000s.. AND they're dead silent; I'm able to enjoy jazz and piano music in high noise zones.

In short, this is a great idea! biggrin.gif


Edited by _nomad - 11/14/12 at 12:24pm
post #115 of 168

Hi

 

Being quite the beginner here I just discovered this thread and this look very interesting. I am going to have a look around me and see if I can find some materials around me to make this work. I might be able to get someone to make the wood cups for me which BTW look insanely good on your phones. 

 

However the guide to making the pads seems to be offline, is there any way to get that back up? Also what are the dimensions of the wood cups?

post #116 of 168
The right driver in my Grado build gave up the ghost (shed a tear for the vintage pink 225 if you can...).

As a stop gap while I figure out some new drivers I popped a pair of Kramer Mod KSC75 drivers in. Used all of my original parts except for the drivers.

post #117 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post

The right driver in my Grado build gave up the ghost (shed a tear for the vintage pink 225 if you can...).

As a stop gap while I figure out some new drivers I popped a pair of Kramer Mod KSC75 drivers in. Used all of my original parts except for the drivers.

 

OH NO, WHAT HAPPENED? Are you sure it cannot be fixed?

post #118 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

OH NO, WHAT HAPPENED? Are you sure it cannot be fixed?

Well, I took the dead driver off and put a KSC75 in its place. The KSC worked. I might try to wire the dead pink up to a spare cable to see if it magically comes to life...

I have never dissected a driver to try and fix it...hmmmm...maybe now is the time.
post #119 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleasbaby View Post


Well, I took the dead driver off and put a KSC75 in its place. The KSC worked. I might try to wire the dead pink up to a spare cable to see if it magically comes to life...

I have never dissected a driver to try and fix it...hmmmm...maybe now is the time.

Thou not needest to dissect a driver in order to diagnose it. You should be able to tell what is wrong with it just by looking. Give the solder pads a good look over as well as the wire that runs from the solder pads to the center coil.

post #120 of 168

instead of using grado cups, i transplanted the drivers in to the pro dj 100 body and am using velour pads. it's on the brighter sound of neutral. it's... kinda incredible, actually.

 

an interesting thing to note is that i actually didn't close the cups all the way - the i've left the pro-dj semi-open. They stack up easily to my existing headphones.


Edited by CrystalT - 8/8/13 at 7:18pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The StratoKOSSter – A closed DIY headphone based on the Koss KSC-75 driver and Grado cup design