- 295 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Location: New Jersey, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productMoon Audio Black Dragon V2 Headphone Cabletagged by System, 5/29/12
- productMoon Audio Blue Dragon v3tagged by System, 5/29/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 5/29/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Love my HD600's, would a HE-400 be a sideways upgrade? Do I need to move to HE-500? Last post on 9/1/12 at 11:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- OPEN headphones with the TIGHTEST bass! Last post on 12/30/14 at 1:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- SHORT REVIEWS: Ok, now I have LCD-2, D7000... what next? Last post on 7/25/12 at 5:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for ALL Genres and AMP to Match Last post on 6/2/11 at 8:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/14/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Head-Fi, Fiio X5 and me I came out of my lurking in January 2014 to join Head-Fi, I was looking for a DAP to replace my Creative Zen X-Fi's whose display had a 'black ink' spreading...
Foreword: I'm a production manager, but focus mostly on sound engineering. I install and tune a lot of P.A equipment, and also mix live acts in : - live venues, - concert halls, - bars, and -...
For me, they are the best ever. Maybe someday i'll listen to something 'better'? Well, we'll see. PD: The Highs can bother some people with their 2k and 8-9k peaks. For me it's fine, but it's...
In terms of design it is good looking and cofortable. Usb is meaningless to me, my laptops built-in sound card is better sounding than that usb. Sounding bad for its price. Still is good for casual...
It has a solid build that if you want to break them, you should do something extreme to them. Still it comes with 2 years of warranty and if you do break these, you can get a new one at %50...
how good are the sennheiser hd650's??post #1 of 895/27/12 at 10:43pmThread StarterI have a pair of sennheiser hd650's, and they claim that they're reference class headphones...but are they really? And are these one of the best headphones in existence? Please, let me know....thanks everyone! Any advice is definitely appreciated! Just to mention, I'm using them with a moon audio "blue dragon v3" headphone cable and an art accessories amp 4....any feed back is appreciated! Also, it's a 12 volt amp....
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 895/27/12 at 10:47pm
I've not heard too many much better when it comes to pure sound quality. Although I think they have some major drawbacks-- namely lack of bass and treble extension. The silver damping version I would consider reference class, it's very flat and smooth in its frequency response except for those rolloffs.post #3 of 895/27/12 at 10:51pmpost #4 of 895/27/12 at 10:54pmThread StarterI definitely appreciate the advice....I bought mine not even a year ago....last August to be exact....so I think I have the silver version....they sound very awesome too! I wanted to get a little dot mk3 headphone amp, but gotta wait....but thanks for the info!post #5 of 895/28/12 at 3:18amYou'd have to define "reference class" beyond marketing dribble first.
That said, the HD 650 (and the 600 and 580 before them) are truly amazing headphones - regardless of what else exists on the market. There's maybe a handful of relatively exotic or expensive units that can truly best them in one area or another, and maybe a somewhat larger handful of other units that are truly equals. They just do lots of things very right, and have very few draw-backs if you don't have an issue with their relatively smooth/laid-back sound and they fit you right (I've read some complaints about clamp force, which I've never personally understood, but I'm not doubting that some people may have issues).
I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not you have "the best" - enjoy the music and life goes on.post #6 of 895/28/12 at 3:29am
Just look at how long the HD 600 & HD 650 have been around. That should tell you a little something about both of them.
Sure there are some cans that are better, but that same thing can (or will shortly be) said of every one ever made. Enjoy the great sound your HD 650 has to offer and don't worry if the Jones have something a bit better that, for some, are the new "reference" headphone--until a faster gun comes along.post #7 of 895/28/12 at 3:37am
The HD650 is such an involving headphone. I have the HD800 now and have owned the LCD-2 for some time. I miss my HD650 and would happily live with it if forced to "downgrade". A Bifrost>Crack>HD650 chain would be damn near unassailable in its price range.post #8 of 895/28/12 at 8:57am
I too have the HD800, which is a superior headphone to the HD650. I had the HD650 for years before I got the HD800 and I enjoyed them a lot. I suggest you demo the HD800. I think you will be impressed.post #9 of 895/28/12 at 9:49amThread StarterI do think that the sennheiser hd650's are the best headphones I've ever heard! I do think personally that they are reference quality cans...but that's just my opinion....I spoke to the tech line at sennheiser, and they did say they are reference headphones....does anyone agree??post #10 of 895/28/12 at 9:52ampost #11 of 895/28/12 at 10:00amThread Starterpost #12 of 895/28/12 at 10:02ampost #13 of 895/28/12 at 10:05amQuote:
Get Beats then :Epost #14 of 895/28/12 at 10:12am
To me. They are the perfect headphone. To me... Every time I think of grabbing an HE500 or an LCD2 (I'm very treble sensitive, so I feel those are my only two "upgrade" options) I throw on my 650s and ask, will I enjoy them more than I'm enjoying this right now? Answer is usually NO. I think I only want something new to get something new.
Everyone has likes and dislikes and if you are striving to have the 'Best" out there based on what other people think, you're going to need to drop some serious coin ($10K+) to impress the folks around here.post #15 of 895/28/12 at 10:14amThread Starter
- how good are the sennheiser hd650's??
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Reversible AKG K701 bass mod 2 seconds ago
- › Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece 57 seconds ago
- › 12AU7 Tubes - Under $30 3 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 4 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 & X5 USB Drivers (for Windows only) 7 minutes ago
- › Questyle QP1 7 minutes ago
- › Which under-$100 USB DAC, from these choices? 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › G430 Gaming Headset by Gonomon
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by Gonomon
- › MSB Analog by negura
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by kar13
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by YoYo JoKeR
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3