- 179 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productMoon Audio Black Dragon V2 Headphone Cabletagged by System, 5/29/12
- productMoon Audio Blue Dragon v3tagged by System, 5/29/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 5/29/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Love my HD600's, would a HE-400 be a sideways upgrade? Do I need to move to HE-500? Last post on 9/1/12 at 11:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- OPEN headphones with the TIGHTEST bass! Last post on 8/11/12 at 8:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- SHORT REVIEWS: Ok, now I have LCD-2, D7000... what next? Last post on 7/25/12 at 5:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for ALL Genres and AMP to Match Last post on 6/2/11 at 8:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone Cables)Last edited: 12/28/12
These earbuds were my first "serious" earbuds and they dissapointed me pretty soon. Everything was perfect until one morning I went out plugged them in and found that the cable was disconnected...
This is my first review, but I will try to make it fast and straight to the point. I just received the HD580s from ebay, and before I bought them I did some research and found out these have...
First impressions When I first tried these headphones out of the box, I was a little disappointed at how the higher frequencies seemed to be more forward than the mids and bass. It wouldn't...
I was on the hunt for a well-made copper cable to complement my stock and third party cables for my Fitear IEMs when I came across Forza Audioworks. Good quality wire, ergonomics and aesthetics...
The best phones I've tried so far. I tried some well-burnt-in beyerdynamic and others in similar price range in a store, and I have owned the 601 before. I also own closed cans, e.g. the K271, and...
how good are the sennheiser hd650's??post #1 of 895/27/12 at 10:43pmThread StarterI have a pair of sennheiser hd650's, and they claim that they're reference class headphones...but are they really? And are these one of the best headphones in existence? Please, let me know....thanks everyone! Any advice is definitely appreciated! Just to mention, I'm using them with a moon audio "blue dragon v3" headphone cable and an art accessories amp 4....any feed back is appreciated! Also, it's a 12 volt amp....
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 895/27/12 at 10:47pm
I've not heard too many much better when it comes to pure sound quality. Although I think they have some major drawbacks-- namely lack of bass and treble extension. The silver damping version I would consider reference class, it's very flat and smooth in its frequency response except for those rolloffs.post #3 of 895/27/12 at 10:51pmpost #4 of 895/27/12 at 10:54pmThread StarterI definitely appreciate the advice....I bought mine not even a year ago....last August to be exact....so I think I have the silver version....they sound very awesome too! I wanted to get a little dot mk3 headphone amp, but gotta wait....but thanks for the info!post #5 of 895/28/12 at 3:18amYou'd have to define "reference class" beyond marketing dribble first.
That said, the HD 650 (and the 600 and 580 before them) are truly amazing headphones - regardless of what else exists on the market. There's maybe a handful of relatively exotic or expensive units that can truly best them in one area or another, and maybe a somewhat larger handful of other units that are truly equals. They just do lots of things very right, and have very few draw-backs if you don't have an issue with their relatively smooth/laid-back sound and they fit you right (I've read some complaints about clamp force, which I've never personally understood, but I'm not doubting that some people may have issues).
I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not you have "the best" - enjoy the music and life goes on.post #6 of 895/28/12 at 3:29am
Just look at how long the HD 600 & HD 650 have been around. That should tell you a little something about both of them.
Sure there are some cans that are better, but that same thing can (or will shortly be) said of every one ever made. Enjoy the great sound your HD 650 has to offer and don't worry if the Jones have something a bit better that, for some, are the new "reference" headphone--until a faster gun comes along.post #7 of 895/28/12 at 3:37am
The HD650 is such an involving headphone. I have the HD800 now and have owned the LCD-2 for some time. I miss my HD650 and would happily live with it if forced to "downgrade". A Bifrost>Crack>HD650 chain would be damn near unassailable in its price range.post #8 of 895/28/12 at 8:57am
I too have the HD800, which is a superior headphone to the HD650. I had the HD650 for years before I got the HD800 and I enjoyed them a lot. I suggest you demo the HD800. I think you will be impressed.post #9 of 895/28/12 at 9:49amThread StarterI do think that the sennheiser hd650's are the best headphones I've ever heard! I do think personally that they are reference quality cans...but that's just my opinion....I spoke to the tech line at sennheiser, and they did say they are reference headphones....does anyone agree??post #10 of 895/28/12 at 9:52ampost #11 of 895/28/12 at 10:00amThread Starterpost #12 of 895/28/12 at 10:02ampost #13 of 895/28/12 at 10:05amQuote:
Get Beats then :Epost #14 of 895/28/12 at 10:12am
To me. They are the perfect headphone. To me... Every time I think of grabbing an HE500 or an LCD2 (I'm very treble sensitive, so I feel those are my only two "upgrade" options) I throw on my 650s and ask, will I enjoy them more than I'm enjoying this right now? Answer is usually NO. I think I only want something new to get something new.
Everyone has likes and dislikes and if you are striving to have the 'Best" out there based on what other people think, you're going to need to drop some serious coin ($10K+) to impress the folks around here.post #15 of 895/28/12 at 10:14amThread Starter
- how good are the sennheiser hd650's??
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Design. Phase 2: Desktop vs Portable listening... 13 seconds ago
- › Linux users unite! 1 minute ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › ¿ The best In-Ear ever made? 1 minute ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 4 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH750DJ vs. V-Moda Crossfade M-100 5 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 6 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob