Is the ODAC's line-out fit for hooking to a receiver?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Inexpensive Soundcard/DAC for headphones Last post on 7/1/12 at 8:26pm in Computer Audio
- Do the DACport and the DACport LX really sound different? Last post on 4/1/16 at 7:40am in Dedicated Source Components
- I have $300 to spend. Should I upgrade? Last post on 6/18/12 at 2:08am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DAC under $200 ??? Last post on 6/25/12 at 10:02am in Dedicated Source Components
- Questions about DAC for DT990 Last post on 12/7/12 at 11:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
-- **This review is a sample portion from the full thread: Meet the Puresounds Earbud Family.** **All photos are taken by me.** **Disclaimer - I was provided the Puresounds...
There comes a time you're bored from your audio gear. You don't have a grand or two for a new set of ultra high end headphones to give you that fresh kick, and electronics costing as much as your...
MY GOD!!! I have just received my headphones! I have been putting them through there initial paces straight from the box, after just 30 mins I have had to come here to let you know my experience so...
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Brief Odac impressions - Page 66post #976 of 20189/14/12 at 1:43pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #977 of 20189/14/12 at 2:08pm
I am beginning to think you have no sense of humor at all and are taking this all too serious....this USB horse has been beat to death but I guess it will get beaten some
more so we can indeed make sure its dead...
Anyone see any specials on USB space heaters...heard its going to be a long winter...
Alexpost #978 of 20189/14/12 at 2:11pmpost #979 of 20189/14/12 at 2:32pm
Anaxilus is correct the usb cable carries bits, ones and zeros...but what he neglects to tell you is that there may be more than that being induced or carried over those tiny little 24 ga copper wires......
Do you know what a lo-pass filter is?
Alexpost #980 of 20189/14/12 at 2:44pmpost #981 of 20189/14/12 at 2:48pmQuote:
Okay, I really am missing the joke since you are now misquoting me. I think you have us mixed up or something, nvm.post #982 of 20189/14/12 at 3:21pm
I stand corrected I did misquote you ...
You did say that usb cables do not carry ones and zeros only electrons...my bad.
These electrons you refer to form or are in the form of digital pulses that are referred to as ones and zeros...that flow into the dac to go along on their merry way to their conversion....
Your a pretty literal person.
Thats fine....glad we can still communicate....after all we both like audio...
All the best
Alexpost #983 of 20189/14/12 at 5:32pmpost #984 of 20189/14/12 at 6:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by sling5s
This just can't be my imagination but the USB cable that comes with the O2+ODAC has a ferrite and I believe the ferrite filters the high frequencies.
When I changed the USB (ferrite-less) cable, the high frequency came back. At least to my ears.
The treble is much better, not recessed as before and the bass has more snap, punch, do to the restoration of the treble balance.
Is it just me?
It's exactly the same to my ears.post #985 of 20189/14/12 at 6:36pm
Yup it Friday for sure!!
Its the same for me as well.....the reasons for a ferrite cable...is to act as a low pass filter....reject any induced, stray or HF RF etc....and any nasty crap that might come from the PC itself.
In the case of USB its mainly for the latter...
The USB cable I have torn apart, even the el cheopo's fro monoprice had excellent foil shielding and additional weaved braid....
There really should be any differnce at all.
Alexpost #986 of 20189/14/12 at 6:40pmpost #987 of 20189/14/12 at 6:41pmQuote:
This has already passed, but just so we're clear...
Where's the power to run the electronics in the ODAC come from? A ferrite would be to filter some of the high-frequency noise (meaning like RF, not high audio frequencies) riding on top of the +5V going to the device. The +5V gets filtered and converted to +3.3V (maybe something else too?) in the device. There are ferrites on the board already, but a larger one in the cable is not going to be a bad thing.
So there is something to filter. Now, whether cleaning up the power supply slightly more would make the kind of differences people are reporting... that seems like a big stretch.post #988 of 20189/15/12 at 1:56am
Sorry to interrupt the USB discussion, but has anyone managed to get the ODAC working with WinXP and ASIO or Kernel Streaming in Foobar? I've followed all the guides (ASIO foobar plugin, ASIO4ALL settings to map left and right of USB ODAC etc.) but am having no luck.
1) With kernel streaming, I have to set the buffer length to something like 200ms or less in order to get playback. Unfortunately, I cannot use the seekbar in Foobar to skip to a certain part of a track. If I try to, it just stops at the time I've jumped to with no sound. Anyone know how to fix this?
2) With ASIO, I have the ODAC all setup and mapped the left and right and in offline settings set the odac to active, 4 buffers, etc., but when I try to play a track it just stays at 0:00, no error message in Foobar or anything. Played with the buffer length but this didn't help at all. When I check the Offline settings I'm told the device is not available even though I have it set to active. Help?
Edited by Slycks - 9/15/12 at 2:09ampost #989 of 20189/15/12 at 5:27am
The only reason the ferrite cable is there in this case is really to help filter out and crap that might be coming from inside the PC for all the stuff going on in a pc...whether it is induced into the USB Vcc lines or in any other way...if this crap gets into the usb power or even signal lines the ferrite will help stop it from getting to the dac....and yup the ODAC has this internally as well....
What is interesting to me back in school in electronics class was to learn that this is done by turning the unwanted RF into heat in the ferrite material.....at the levels we are dealing here you would never notice this....but in other apps they can get warm and even hot!
All the best
Alexpost #990 of 20189/15/12 at 5:31am
I dont use Foobar or XP anymore....its not that it cant be done its too much of a pain...
If you can afford it get over to win7, things here are better for audio...
I am sure there are other sites and maybe if you search this site or maybe Foobar's you will find your answer.
After mucking with several players including Foobar, Music Bee , JRiver ....and some others...
I settled in on JRiver and to get things to work and be bitperfect is rather painless with Win 7.
- Brief Odac impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 17 seconds ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 41 seconds ago
- › Elemental Watson Class-A Valve/Mosfet Hybrid Headphone Amplifier... 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Modi 2 Uber - Wobbly Source Selector 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sony/HTC/AKG/MISC Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Hello all, looking Amplifier 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MH1 alternative 6 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear