- 668 Posts. Joined 5/2005
- Location: Lynnfield, MA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Inexpensive Soundcard/DAC for headphones Last post on 7/1/12 at 8:26pm in Computer Audio
- Do the DACport and the DACport LX really sound different? Last post on 4/1/16 at 7:40am in Dedicated Source Components
- I have $300 to spend. Should I upgrade? Last post on 6/18/12 at 2:08am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DAC under $200 ??? Last post on 6/25/12 at 10:02am in Dedicated Source Components
- Questions about DAC for DT990 Last post on 12/7/12 at 11:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Disclaimer: The Noble Kaiser Encore sample was provided to me by Noble for the purposes of this review. The Noble K10 was my first Multi-BA earphone. While it might not be the as good as the...
For me the Encore shares the same sound signature as its predecessor Noble Kaiser K-10. There are already 31- K-10 reviews on H.F. including mine. Read what is written about the K-10, then think...
Sorry if my english is not so good. I bought this several days ago (200 euro) so I cannot post an opinion about durability. I use this dac/amp just on pc for everyday use: movies, voice,...
Greetings Head-fi, Today we are going to be checking out another HDSS equipped earphone from the team at Blue Ever Blue; the Model 1001. Based out of Washington, D.C., Blue Ever Blue (BeB) exploded...
Disclaimer I would like to give a special thanks to Pandora for having these sent out to me. I am not affiliated with Brainwavz in any way and this product was given in exchange for my honest...
Brief Odac impressions - Page 63post #931 of 20189/8/12 at 12:40pmDeleted
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #932 of 20189/8/12 at 1:54pmpost #933 of 20189/8/12 at 3:48pmQuote:
That`s because you are using wasapi mode. It`s the way it works. It doesn`t have anything with 24bit. Try in foobar DS mode and you should be able to use youtube/anything even in 24bit selected in foobar/windows. Actually there isn`t any reason to be using wasapi mode in foobar..post #934 of 20189/8/12 at 5:51pmpost #935 of 20189/8/12 at 7:56pm
There's something......disturbing about that image.Quote:Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE
I was thinking about getting the odac+o2 but got the Teac UD-H01. One day Amazon had it for $360 and so I sent the link to zzounds and they popped back with $350, so I'm making payments on it. So....post #936 of 20189/9/12 at 1:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Dano91
That`s because you are using wasapi mode. It`s the way it works. It doesn`t have anything with 24bit. Try in foobar DS mode and you should be able to use youtube/anything even in 24bit selected in foobar/windows. Actually there isn`t any reason to be using wasapi mode in foobar..post #937 of 20189/9/12 at 12:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Slycks
That`s all correct, except that you don`t have to be using wasapi in win7. If you want to, you could use it, but then you will have no sound from youtube/other soft unless you stop playback in foobar. That`s because wasapi use exclusive mode so it will "lock" sound only for foobar.post #938 of 20189/9/12 at 1:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dano91
That`s because you are using wasapi mode. It`s the way it works. It doesn`t have anything with 24bit. Try in foobar DS mode and you should be able to use youtube/anything even in 24bit selected in foobar/windows. Actually there isn`t any reason to be using wasapi mode in foobar..
No, I'm talking about when Foobar is closed. I know it's supposed to mute everything with Foobar open, but when it's closed I can't hear youtube or anything else unless I set it to 16/44.1 in windows.post #939 of 20189/9/12 at 1:55pm
OK, so it looks like some kind of mixer was still running from my X-Fi card. I restarted and disabled everything that had to do with my X-Fi card. I set windows to 24/96 and Foobar to 24 and everything is working perfect now. :)post #940 of 20189/9/12 at 4:25pm
That's because there is. But I would get banned if I posted the entire photo. Google yogurt guy if you darepost #941 of 20189/9/12 at 7:42pmQuote:
It's not that bad.
The internet has ruined me though.post #942 of 20189/9/12 at 10:04pmQuote:
4chan have we?post #943 of 20189/9/12 at 10:29pm
Ok, this is seriously weird.
I was listening to a new CD player today. Came across a bunch of songs that sounded bad. Just sounded very harsh and fatiguing. Gave my ears a fit.
I immediately tried lots of different headphones and about 5 other full sized CD players (yeah, i'm weird). Same thing. Just garbage tracks where it felt as if the mids and treble were cranked up in the studio.
Even tried several amps including the E9. No change.
I then switched to my ODAC and listened to the same CDs. They're much easier on the ears and if I didn't know any better I'd have not realized how bad these recordings were.
One example is "Airbag" on Radiohead's "OK Computer". Sounds like poop on 4-5 of my CD players, but fine on the ODAC. Why? You'd think it'd actually be WORSE on the ODAC.
Is it that my CD players are so revealing or just so colored? I doubt that's the case. Most of them are from the early 90's and I even tried a recent Oppo.
After trying my ODAC I switched to two other computer sources that measure perfectly flat. They sounded as bad as they were on my CD players.
I'm not complaining, but this is a bit strange.
BTW does the ODAC have rolled off treble? I don't even know if i've seen any measurements of it yet. It's treble now almost seems TOO smooth. I guess I like that.
I want my garbage tracks sounding like garbage dangit
Oh yeah.. it's interesting that my onboard sound isn't that bad. Measures and sounds pretty flat. Even the X-Fi Go Pro does.
Another thing..if anyone says the ODAC is a poor match for the Q701 they're lying!
ODAC is nice and musical for me. Doesn't seem as revealing of bad tracks for me as the HRT MSII. I'm not complaining!!post #944 of 20189/9/12 at 10:35pm
The ODAC measures perfectly flat. I've actually measured FR, and a few others to corroborate some of nwavguy's measurements. Out of my PC (not laptop), the ODAC's treble sounds smooth and extended. If anything it slightly lacks bite and that last bit of bass explosiveness.
Edited by purrin - 9/9/12 at 10:37pmpost #945 of 20189/9/12 at 10:46pm
I have to say, I'm puzzled by the reports of other people here. I'm usually extremely sensitive to harsh or grainy treble and will quickly stop the music rather than put up with something that fatigues. But the O2 + ODAC combo I have from JDS Labs has never struck me as remotely unpleasant to listen to. The sound is stable, solid and well balanced, extremely musical, whenever the source file is decent. It sounds equally good on both my desktop computers and my laptop - detailed and smooth, a pleasure to listen to even for long sessions. When I first heard it I knew it was one of those rare, utterly satisfactory devices that I would want to keep, and that impression hasn't decreased over the last few months. So it's weird to me that other people are having such a rough time with it - I can't hear the harshness they are describing in my device at all. I'm using Westone 4R earphones and a USB cable that JDS Labs supplied, which appears to have one of those ferrite chokes at the ODAC end.
Edited by headwig - 9/9/12 at 10:50pm
- Brief Odac impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Final announce new LAB II and F7200 earphones 8 seconds ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 28 seconds ago
- › Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016 55 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 4 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 4 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Xelento! 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by td2004
- › Blue Ever Blue Model 1001 by B9Scrambler
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › SONY digital audio player Walkman NW-WM1Z N (Gold) by Whitigir
- › iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp by Sil3nce
- › HRT - MicroStreamer - High Performance External USB Soundcard and... by Sil3nce
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Sil3nce
- › Chord MoJo by Sil3nce
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear