- 679 Posts. Joined 5/2005
- Location: Lynnfield, MA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Inexpensive Soundcard/DAC for headphones Last post on 7/1/12 at 8:26pm in Computer Audio
- Do the DACport and the DACport LX really sound different? Last post on 4/1/16 at 7:40am in Dedicated Source Components
- I have $300 to spend. Should I upgrade? Last post on 6/18/12 at 2:08am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DAC under $200 ??? Last post on 6/25/12 at 10:02am in Dedicated Source Components
- Questions about DAC for DT990 Last post on 12/7/12 at 11:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Introduction – Everyone knows earbuds, those cheap, tinny sounding throwaways included with almost every mp3 player. So then, it may come as a surprise that earbuds are making a comeback and not...
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
Brief Odac impressions - Page 63post #931 of 20189/8/12 at 12:40pmDeleted
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #932 of 20189/8/12 at 1:54pmpost #933 of 20189/8/12 at 3:48pmQuote:
That`s because you are using wasapi mode. It`s the way it works. It doesn`t have anything with 24bit. Try in foobar DS mode and you should be able to use youtube/anything even in 24bit selected in foobar/windows. Actually there isn`t any reason to be using wasapi mode in foobar..post #934 of 20189/8/12 at 5:51pmpost #935 of 20189/8/12 at 7:56pm
There's something......disturbing about that image.Quote:Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE
I was thinking about getting the odac+o2 but got the Teac UD-H01. One day Amazon had it for $360 and so I sent the link to zzounds and they popped back with $350, so I'm making payments on it. So....post #936 of 20189/9/12 at 1:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Dano91
That`s because you are using wasapi mode. It`s the way it works. It doesn`t have anything with 24bit. Try in foobar DS mode and you should be able to use youtube/anything even in 24bit selected in foobar/windows. Actually there isn`t any reason to be using wasapi mode in foobar..post #937 of 20189/9/12 at 12:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Slycks
That`s all correct, except that you don`t have to be using wasapi in win7. If you want to, you could use it, but then you will have no sound from youtube/other soft unless you stop playback in foobar. That`s because wasapi use exclusive mode so it will "lock" sound only for foobar.post #938 of 20189/9/12 at 1:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dano91
That`s because you are using wasapi mode. It`s the way it works. It doesn`t have anything with 24bit. Try in foobar DS mode and you should be able to use youtube/anything even in 24bit selected in foobar/windows. Actually there isn`t any reason to be using wasapi mode in foobar..
No, I'm talking about when Foobar is closed. I know it's supposed to mute everything with Foobar open, but when it's closed I can't hear youtube or anything else unless I set it to 16/44.1 in windows.post #939 of 20189/9/12 at 1:55pm
OK, so it looks like some kind of mixer was still running from my X-Fi card. I restarted and disabled everything that had to do with my X-Fi card. I set windows to 24/96 and Foobar to 24 and everything is working perfect now. :)post #940 of 20189/9/12 at 4:25pm
That's because there is. But I would get banned if I posted the entire photo. Google yogurt guy if you darepost #941 of 20189/9/12 at 7:42pmQuote:
It's not that bad.
The internet has ruined me though.post #942 of 20189/9/12 at 10:04pmQuote:
4chan have we?post #943 of 20189/9/12 at 10:29pm
Ok, this is seriously weird.
I was listening to a new CD player today. Came across a bunch of songs that sounded bad. Just sounded very harsh and fatiguing. Gave my ears a fit.
I immediately tried lots of different headphones and about 5 other full sized CD players (yeah, i'm weird). Same thing. Just garbage tracks where it felt as if the mids and treble were cranked up in the studio.
Even tried several amps including the E9. No change.
I then switched to my ODAC and listened to the same CDs. They're much easier on the ears and if I didn't know any better I'd have not realized how bad these recordings were.
One example is "Airbag" on Radiohead's "OK Computer". Sounds like poop on 4-5 of my CD players, but fine on the ODAC. Why? You'd think it'd actually be WORSE on the ODAC.
Is it that my CD players are so revealing or just so colored? I doubt that's the case. Most of them are from the early 90's and I even tried a recent Oppo.
After trying my ODAC I switched to two other computer sources that measure perfectly flat. They sounded as bad as they were on my CD players.
I'm not complaining, but this is a bit strange.
BTW does the ODAC have rolled off treble? I don't even know if i've seen any measurements of it yet. It's treble now almost seems TOO smooth. I guess I like that.
I want my garbage tracks sounding like garbage dangit
Oh yeah.. it's interesting that my onboard sound isn't that bad. Measures and sounds pretty flat. Even the X-Fi Go Pro does.
Another thing..if anyone says the ODAC is a poor match for the Q701 they're lying!
ODAC is nice and musical for me. Doesn't seem as revealing of bad tracks for me as the HRT MSII. I'm not complaining!!post #944 of 20189/9/12 at 10:35pm
The ODAC measures perfectly flat. I've actually measured FR, and a few others to corroborate some of nwavguy's measurements. Out of my PC (not laptop), the ODAC's treble sounds smooth and extended. If anything it slightly lacks bite and that last bit of bass explosiveness.
Edited by purrin - 9/9/12 at 10:37pmpost #945 of 20189/9/12 at 10:46pm
I have to say, I'm puzzled by the reports of other people here. I'm usually extremely sensitive to harsh or grainy treble and will quickly stop the music rather than put up with something that fatigues. But the O2 + ODAC combo I have from JDS Labs has never struck me as remotely unpleasant to listen to. The sound is stable, solid and well balanced, extremely musical, whenever the source file is decent. It sounds equally good on both my desktop computers and my laptop - detailed and smooth, a pleasure to listen to even for long sessions. When I first heard it I knew it was one of those rare, utterly satisfactory devices that I would want to keep, and that impression hasn't decreased over the last few months. So it's weird to me that other people are having such a rough time with it - I can't hear the harshness they are describing in my device at all. I'm using Westone 4R earphones and a USB cable that JDS Labs supplied, which appears to have one of those ferrite chokes at the ODAC end.
Edited by headwig - 9/9/12 at 10:50pm
- Brief Odac impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 2 minutes ago
- › EMU 0404 USB - really the best? 3 minutes ago
- › South Florida Meets! 4 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 4 minutes ago
- › Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private 6 minutes ago
- › VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000??? 9 minutes ago
- › The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen |... 9 minutes ago
- › Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread. 12 minutes ago
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear