Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to build a short 1/8" to RCA cable to use it then.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Inexpensive Soundcard/DAC for headphones Last post on 7/1/12 at 8:26pm in Computer Audio
- Do the DACport and the DACport LX really sound different? Last post on 4/1/16 at 7:40am in Dedicated Source Components
- I have $300 to spend. Should I upgrade? Last post on 6/18/12 at 2:08am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DAC under $200 ??? Last post on 6/25/12 at 10:02am in Dedicated Source Components
- Questions about DAC for DT990 Last post on 12/7/12 at 11:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Weston W80 Review Disclaimer: The W80 was loaned to me by the local distributor www.samma3a.com - I have to return it, I have not received any incentive, financial or otherwise for this...
Meant to be married to the OL DAC, the O2 headphone amp matches it in shape, size and simplicity. What’s neat about the O2 is that JDS Labs allows for some simple customizations—you can choose...
Acknowledgment This review unit was provided to me in exchange for my honest opinion by Penon Audio. This review was originally published on audioprimate.blog. Introduction I’m a regular watcher...
I know a lot of people say a DAC is a DAC is a DAC, but I’m not one of them. A DAC’s chipset and its implementation, among other things, play a very real role in determining how it sounds....
I bought these headphones about year ago (I use them almost everyday), as an upgrade from my g430s when the cable finally wore out. In some cases (only some cases) I think the sound quality might...
Brief Odac impressions - Page 6post #76 of 20186/7/12 at 8:46am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 20186/7/12 at 11:21ampost #78 of 20186/7/12 at 12:00pmpost #79 of 20186/7/12 at 1:21pmpost #80 of 20186/7/12 at 1:23pm
Once I get mine I plan to open it up and see how difficult it will be to cut it down to size... with a Dremel, a steady hand, and perhaps a clever method of reattaching the back plate, should be doable :)post #81 of 20186/7/12 at 1:25pm
This is why I went with Audio Poutine. I get the same chassis as the O2 plus RCA inputs in additional to the 1/8 input, but pretty much the same price. You get the streamline stacked look. Plus you get an O2 board that you can build later should you decide to remove and relocate just the ODAC and install it in the up and coming ODA.
Hats off to Joe for his well executed ODAC production.
Edited by alphaphoenix - 6/7/12 at 1:27pmpost #82 of 20186/7/12 at 4:02pm
Just got my ODAC and installed it in my O2 and it sounds Incredible! I was using the DAC in my fiio E7 via a dock adapter and my O2 for my amp, now I am strictly using the O2/ODAC combo and I think I will be set for quite a long time now! Also, this is a HUGE improvement over my E7. I have only been listening for about 2 hours now, but it's almost like listening to a lot of the songs for the first time again...There is more clarity, soundstage, smoothness, everything! Maybe not such a difference for some of you who have been on higher quality DAC's already, but I am really satisfied for my $100 :)
Edited by rnconync - 6/8/12 at 9:10ampost #83 of 20186/7/12 at 8:17pmpost #84 of 20186/8/12 at 12:09amQuote:Originally Posted by Argybargy
I've got about 40 hours on mine. Some brief, preliminary impressions: detailed, black background, neutral, tight bass.
I've owned the HRT MSii and the MSii+ (2nd rounded version). The Odac is definitely better than the MSii and as good or better than the MSii+.
A/Bing the two I couldn't tell them easily apart, probably could not in a blind test. Given this I sold my MSii+.
The odac has my vote for the best bang for your buck in a usb dac.
That's quite a statement hahah considering the ODAC is roughly $100-$150 and the MSii+ is $349+
Can't wait to get my hands on one.post #85 of 20186/8/12 at 12:11ampost #86 of 20186/8/12 at 12:40am
Just to let you know we're running a charity raffle to win an ODAC and other gear courtsey of JDS labs:
It's only £2 per entry and Nick at JDS will be picking the lucky winner.
It closes this Sunday 10th June so hurry :)post #87 of 20186/9/12 at 12:29pmQuote:
It is indeed the case shown on our site; the rendering is an exact model of the c421 case (same CAD model provided to our manufacturers). We also announced that we're using the c421 case well before the preorder went live.Quote:Originally Posted by lukeahale
JDSLabs is using the case for their c421 amp because it just happens to be the right size (other than length). I believe they may be eventually offering a smaller version at some point, but I am sure this helped them to keep the cost lower for the early batches of them, either that or they couldn't get a custom one created/ordered in time or in enough quantity to cover the preorders. They say they are going to talk about this in a future blog post, so really the second sentence is just my logical conjecture.
^^^ Basically correct. It takes almost 3 months to produce a custom length case with a nice finish. You can do it faster, but quality always suffers, and I'm not a fan of low quality parts.
By the time the ODAC PCB was finished, we had only 4 weeks to judge demand and choose enclosures. YoyoDyne Consulting suggested that a standardized case for ODAC would benefit the entire DIY community. So we coordinated demand with all ODAC builders. The entire prototype discussion has been publicly posted, along with our reasoning for using the c421 case in the first batch: It's available now, and it looks great. Cost doesn't change much from one case to another...
Exact length ODAC cases will be ready in mid-July. The finished parts will be distributed to other builders and sold as individual 'DIY' items in our store. Believe me, I wish production for this stuff wasn't so slow...
If you guys want Standalone ODAC's in the O2 "B2-080" case, we can do that now. But the Standalone ODAC in the c421 case is a nicer looking product. We'll get pictures up this week.post #88 of 20186/9/12 at 2:15pmQuote:
My mistake then, John. I guess it just looks different.post #89 of 20186/9/12 at 6:40pm
Hey, no problem. If a picture is deceiving, then it needs to be changed.
The remaining shipment of ODAC endplates arrives Tuesday. Fresh pictures will finally be posted after we ship out the remaining preorders.
- Brief Odac impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 10 seconds ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 11 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 23 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones) 1 minute ago
- › Recommendations for IEM For Classical music 2 minutes ago
- › How to grow? 2 minutes ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Grado SR225e owner: SR325e vs PS500e vs RS2e - which way to upgrade? 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90) 5 minutes ago
- › Getting new headphones (redux) Researching,,,,$400-$1600 6 minutes ago
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by glassmonkey
- › JDS Labs OL DAC by SoundApprentice
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear