Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Brief Odac impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brief Odac impressions - Page 96

post #1426 of 1960

Is a high frequency ripple noise sound normal with ~80max and up in volume?

Edit: That was with RCA connection, With the 3,5mm plug it's a lot worse for some reason.

Edit2: Odac was not the culprit. It were the analog inputs in my NuForce HDP which were noisy. Something to be done about those? The preamp function would be useful.confused.gif


Edited by Kirnupiima - 1/29/13 at 3:22am
post #1427 of 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnupiima View Post

Is a high frequency ripple noise sound normal with ~80max and up in volume?

Edit: That was with RCA connection, With the 3,5mm plug it's a lot worse for some reason.

Edit2: Odac was not the culprit. It were the analog inputs in my NuForce HDP which were noisy. Something to be done about those? The preamp function would be useful.confused.gif

 

Use Digital Volume control on your audio Player . 

post #1428 of 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post

 

Use Digital Volume control on your audio Player . 

That is not a solution I'm afraid. Digital volume is at full so lowering it is not really a good planwink.gif. I'll think of something. Maybe it's finally time for a proper analog mixer to be introduced to the setup. (sorry, OT)

post #1429 of 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

 

USB?


yes, but i need a power source

post #1430 of 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnupiima View Post

Is a high frequency ripple noise sound normal with ~80max and up in volume?

Edit: That was with RCA connection, With the 3,5mm plug it's a lot worse for some reason.

Edit2: Odac was not the culprit. It were the analog inputs in my NuForce HDP which were noisy. Something to be done about those? The preamp function would be useful.confused.gif


For me it sounds like the NuForce HDP input stage's beeing clipped. ODAC output is 2Vrms, so in that case only solution I can think of is to lower the volume on ODAC (in PC).

post #1431 of 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano91 View Post


For me it sounds like the NuForce HDP input stage's beeing clipped. ODAC output is 2Vrms, so in that case only solution I can think of is to lower the volume on ODAC (in PC).

Thanks for the tips guys. Lowering the volume in windows mixer unfortunately does not silence the noise, even if muted. It's usually not a problem but sometimes a movie may have to be turned pretty high up (~70% of the potentiometer range) so the noise will be audible too.

 

You maybe right about the clipping, I'm not very familiar with the numbers but that did no do it this time.

post #1432 of 1960

I have a question about the Windows settings with the odac. Im using mine with foobar + wasapi set to 24 bit in foobar.

 

In Windows audio settings should I set the odac to 24 bit, 96000 Hz Studio quality or does this not matter? I know that the windows mixer is bypassed when wasapi is enabled, but does that mean that whatever is set here doesn't matter? I've always had it at 16 bit, 44100 Hz CD quality since that's what most internet videos and streams use.

post #1433 of 1960

44.1khz / 24 bits.

 

Only change to higher bit depth when you actually have songs that have been done in the higher bit depth.

 

Alex

post #1434 of 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydula View Post

44.1khz / 24 bits.

 

Only change to higher bit depth when you actually have songs that have been done in the higher bit depth.

 

Alex

 

Not sure I understand you fully here. So you're saying I should set it to 44.1 KHz / 24 bits in the windows settings? So the windows mixer is not bypassed when wasapi is used?

post #1435 of 1960

take a look at this link and the setup PDF.....

 

http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/pdf/vista_win_7_setup.pdf

 

Its for another DAC but the idea and setup are similar..

 

I chatted with one of the dev engineers and this is the setting they suggest for 98% of what we listen to ie 44.1khz.16bit...

 

Alex

post #1436 of 1960

Thanks for that but it doesnt really explain anything. That setup doesnt assume the user is using wasapi so of course you should set it to what most of your music is. But my question remains, when wasapi is used the windows mixer is completely bypassed so shouldnt it not matter what is selected in the windows settings?

post #1437 of 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

Thanks for that but it doesnt really explain anything. That setup doesnt assume the user is using wasapi so of course you should set it to what most of your music is. But my question remains, when wasapi is used the windows mixer is completely bypassed so shouldnt it not matter what is selected in the windows settings?


You seem to answer your own question. If wasapi  is bypassing the setting then no, it doesn't matter what setting you have. Of course, we sometimes have sounds and music coming from programs other than foobar, so that is when the settings matter.

post #1438 of 1960

I was somewhat sure I was right, I just wanted confirmation. A lot of people still seem to think the windows settings matter even when wasapi is in use.

post #1439 of 1960

Using WASAPI, which is Windows ASIO etc...make sure you have the software player set to exclusive access as well as in the advanced playback settings in windows so the device is in exclusive use mode...or re-sampling may occur....

 

Setting the WIN 7 to 44.1/24 bits is a good thing to do anyway it doesnt hurt...I have seen people reset things to default and back to Win Direct Sound Mode and not even know it..

 

All the best

Alex

post #1440 of 1960

How early does the treble roll off on the ODAC? 10khz? Specs are 19khz, but it sure doesn't seem like it..

Am I the only one that seems like it's treble is almost too polite? Even the Ipod Touch 2G sounds like it has more treble..

Am I hearing things? It's not my amp or headphone.

Still love the ODAC, but this one almost seems dark. Impossible I guess. It's treble reminds me of the SCPH-1001/PS1. Stupid I know..

 

Maybe my hearing stops at 10khz biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Brief Odac impressions