I'm currently running TS->RCA cables from my mixer to the unbalanced RCA inputs of my studio monitors. But my mixer outputs say they support both balanced and unbalanced. So would running balanced TRS->TRS or TRS-XLR cables from the mixer to the monitors reduce any of that background hiss? Or will all hiss from the source remain in the line whether balanced or not? Thanks.
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Does 3.5mm audio cable matter? Last post on 11/6/12 at 5:26am in Computer Audio
- First audio rig, need some help. Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:06pm in Computer Audio
- External volume control with Xonar Essence ST using Headphones (does Z906 work?) Last post on 7/19/12 at 10:12pm in Computer Audio
- How to automatically switch/bypass sample rate? Last post on 7/18/12 at 7:09am in Computer Audio
- Connect Computer to HiFi system Last post on 7/23/12 at 5:25pm in Computer Audio
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set UpLast edited: 3/31/11
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
Running balanced cables from mixer to studio monitors
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 65/26/12 at 8:14am
You may continue running TRS to RCA cables, however what is your source of your inputs? And are you having any ground loops (two device sharing the same power line grounds)? What is the length of the transmission cables? You can try switching to XLR first to see if it solves any noise problems related to grounding.post #3 of 65/26/12 at 3:43pmThread Starter
My mixer receives an unbalanced stereo input from my computer's soundcard. I'm sure that's probably the source of the majority of the background hiss. It's about a 4-5ft run. The mixer-> monitor runs are about the same length.
post #4 of 65/26/12 at 5:40pmThread Starter
OK, so I just put some balanced TRS cables between the mixer and the monitors. The signal level dropped, which I guess is expected. But what I'm curious about is whether the mixer just passes through the unbalanced signal to the monitors, or if it converts it to a balanced signal before sending it out.post #5 of 65/26/12 at 8:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by FieldEffect
OK, so I just put some balanced TRS cables between the mixer and the monitors. The signal level dropped, which I guess is expected. But what I'm curious about is whether the mixer just passes through the unbalanced signal to the monitors, or if it converts it to a balanced signal before sending it out.
From what I know now, your mixer is sending unbalanced signal to the monitors as the Mackie block diagram does not include transformers to reject ground noise(if it really is a noise problem)Quote:
It might be the sound card problem? Old soundcards can be fairly noisy with little EMI protection. Can you try connecting the soundcard and monitors directly to see if the noise persist?
Edited by firev1 - 5/26/12 at 9:25pmpost #6 of 65/27/12 at 2:59amThread Starter
You're probably right. I probably just need a better soundcard. I went back to the unbalanced interconnects because they deliver a higher level signal.
I'm looking at the Asus Xonar Essence sound cards for future.Return Home
- Running balanced cables from mixer to studio monitors
- Hi End Cables
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 4 seconds ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 5 minutes ago
- › WTB > Schiit Bifrost Uber 6 minutes ago
- › WHO ARE THE BEST LOOKING PEOPLE ON EARTH? 6 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 12 minutes ago
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)