I'm currently running TS->RCA cables from my mixer to the unbalanced RCA inputs of my studio monitors. But my mixer outputs say they support both balanced and unbalanced. So would running balanced TRS->TRS or TRS-XLR cables from the mixer to the monitors reduce any of that background hiss? Or will all hiss from the source remain in the line whether balanced or not? Thanks.
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Does 3.5mm audio cable matter? Last post on 11/6/12 at 5:26am in Computer Audio
- First audio rig, need some help. Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:06pm in Computer Audio
- External volume control with Xonar Essence ST using Headphones (does Z906 work?) Last post on 7/19/12 at 10:12pm in Computer Audio
- How to automatically switch/bypass sample rate? Last post on 7/18/12 at 7:09am in Computer Audio
- Connect Computer to HiFi system Last post on 7/23/12 at 5:25pm in Computer Audio
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 5/24/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set UpLast edited: 3/31/11
I had these a while back and found them to be pretty good alas they did have a couple things that spoiled them. Comfort: Finding the best earbuds took a bit of time. Although once you did,...
DUNU TITAN 1 - QUICK REVIEW photos taken from the internet Specifications Driver: 13mm Titanium Diaphragm Dynamic Driver Impedance:16Ω Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency:...
At the time this review was written, the MKLL M-1 was on sale for $79.00 USD on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
My review is based on the loaner pair that Oppo sent to me as part of their PM3 loaner program. My gratitude to Oppo for giving me this opportunity to demo their product. Oppo is known for...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My introduction to DUNU Topsound (18 months ago) was with their triple hybrid DN-1000,...
Running balanced cables from mixer to studio monitorspost #1 of 65/26/12 at 7:01amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 65/26/12 at 8:14am
You may continue running TRS to RCA cables, however what is your source of your inputs? And are you having any ground loops (two device sharing the same power line grounds)? What is the length of the transmission cables? You can try switching to XLR first to see if it solves any noise problems related to grounding.post #3 of 65/26/12 at 3:43pmThread Starter
My mixer receives an unbalanced stereo input from my computer's soundcard. I'm sure that's probably the source of the majority of the background hiss. It's about a 4-5ft run. The mixer-> monitor runs are about the same length.
post #4 of 65/26/12 at 5:40pmThread Starter
OK, so I just put some balanced TRS cables between the mixer and the monitors. The signal level dropped, which I guess is expected. But what I'm curious about is whether the mixer just passes through the unbalanced signal to the monitors, or if it converts it to a balanced signal before sending it out.post #5 of 65/26/12 at 8:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by FieldEffect
OK, so I just put some balanced TRS cables between the mixer and the monitors. The signal level dropped, which I guess is expected. But what I'm curious about is whether the mixer just passes through the unbalanced signal to the monitors, or if it converts it to a balanced signal before sending it out.
From what I know now, your mixer is sending unbalanced signal to the monitors as the Mackie block diagram does not include transformers to reject ground noise(if it really is a noise problem)Quote:
It might be the sound card problem? Old soundcards can be fairly noisy with little EMI protection. Can you try connecting the soundcard and monitors directly to see if the noise persist?
Edited by firev1 - 5/26/12 at 9:25pmpost #6 of 65/27/12 at 2:59amThread Starter
You're probably right. I probably just need a better soundcard. I went back to the unbalanced interconnects because they deliver a higher level signal.
I'm looking at the Asus Xonar Essence sound cards for future.Return Home
- Running balanced cables from mixer to studio monitors
- Hi End Cables
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 1 second ago
- › My Colorfly C4 Pro is Bricked 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD565 repair disaster 3 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 4 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 5 minutes ago
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 7 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 7 minutes ago
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Duet 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2