I'm currently running TS->RCA cables from my mixer to the unbalanced RCA inputs of my studio monitors. But my mixer outputs say they support both balanced and unbalanced. So would running balanced TRS->TRS or TRS-XLR cables from the mixer to the monitors reduce any of that background hiss? Or will all hiss from the source remain in the line whether balanced or not? Thanks.
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Does 3.5mm audio cable matter? Last post on 11/6/12 at 5:26am in Computer Audio
- First audio rig, need some help. Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:06pm in Computer Audio
- External volume control with Xonar Essence ST using Headphones (does Z906 work?) Last post on 7/19/12 at 10:12pm in Computer Audio
- How to automatically switch/bypass sample rate? Last post on 7/18/12 at 7:09am in Computer Audio
- Connect Computer to HiFi system Last post on 7/23/12 at 5:25pm in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set UpLast edited: 3/31/11
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Running balanced cables from mixer to studio monitorspost #1 of 65/26/12 at 7:01amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 65/26/12 at 8:14am
You may continue running TRS to RCA cables, however what is your source of your inputs? And are you having any ground loops (two device sharing the same power line grounds)? What is the length of the transmission cables? You can try switching to XLR first to see if it solves any noise problems related to grounding.post #3 of 65/26/12 at 3:43pmThread Starter
My mixer receives an unbalanced stereo input from my computer's soundcard. I'm sure that's probably the source of the majority of the background hiss. It's about a 4-5ft run. The mixer-> monitor runs are about the same length.
post #4 of 65/26/12 at 5:40pmThread Starter
OK, so I just put some balanced TRS cables between the mixer and the monitors. The signal level dropped, which I guess is expected. But what I'm curious about is whether the mixer just passes through the unbalanced signal to the monitors, or if it converts it to a balanced signal before sending it out.post #5 of 65/26/12 at 8:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by FieldEffect
OK, so I just put some balanced TRS cables between the mixer and the monitors. The signal level dropped, which I guess is expected. But what I'm curious about is whether the mixer just passes through the unbalanced signal to the monitors, or if it converts it to a balanced signal before sending it out.
From what I know now, your mixer is sending unbalanced signal to the monitors as the Mackie block diagram does not include transformers to reject ground noise(if it really is a noise problem)Quote:
It might be the sound card problem? Old soundcards can be fairly noisy with little EMI protection. Can you try connecting the soundcard and monitors directly to see if the noise persist?
Edited by firev1 - 5/26/12 at 9:25pmpost #6 of 65/27/12 at 2:59amThread Starter
You're probably right. I probably just need a better soundcard. I went back to the unbalanced interconnects because they deliver a higher level signal.
I'm looking at the Asus Xonar Essence sound cards for future.Return Home
- Running balanced cables from mixer to studio monitors
- Hi End Cables
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 12 seconds ago
- › Meridian Sale and the Tchaik6! 18 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could 23 seconds ago
- › Having hard time choosing Sony A35, A25 or ZX2 33 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser PXC 550 Discussion and Reviews 43 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics - CES Launch Extravaganza 1 minute ago
- › Toronto GTA Meet January 2017 with Cayin! 1 minute ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 1 minute ago
- › Help me setup my perfect audio setup. Getting a pair of closed,... 2 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear