I'm currently running TS->RCA cables from my mixer to the unbalanced RCA inputs of my studio monitors. But my mixer outputs say they support both balanced and unbalanced. So would running balanced TRS->TRS or TRS-XLR cables from the mixer to the monitors reduce any of that background hiss? Or will all hiss from the source remain in the line whether balanced or not? Thanks.
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Does 3.5mm audio cable matter? Last post on 11/6/12 at 5:26am in Computer Audio
- First audio rig, need some help. Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:06pm in Computer Audio
- External volume control with Xonar Essence ST using Headphones (does Z906 work?) Last post on 7/19/12 at 10:12pm in Computer Audio
- How to automatically switch/bypass sample rate? Last post on 7/18/12 at 7:09am in Computer Audio
- Connect Computer to HiFi system Last post on 7/23/12 at 5:25pm in Computer Audio
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 5/24/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set UpLast edited: 3/31/11
Creative's Sound Blaster E1 If you want to cover your bases with a do-all headphone accessory, the E1 is a good start. Affordable, well featured, inexpensive, the E1 is Creative's entry-level...
Firstly like to thank Chuck from 1964 Ears for organising the Pendulumic Stance S1+ headphones for this review. Pendulumic is a relatively new company in the headphone world, and...
Introduction: RHA is a fairly new audio company that has made quite a splash recently with their MA750 and T10 IEMs. RHA has recently announced their new T20 IEM which is due to be released...
I do not own this unit – I had this unit from @fnkcow With Impedance of 320ohm this earbuds need a good amp to show its worth. I use my phone during my first listen to the zen and it sounds...
Cayin C5DAC: A Deadly Challenger in the Portable Market *Please click on the photos for the highest quality. [[SPOILER]] About me & IntroductionI am a student who is a music...
Running balanced cables from mixer to studio monitorspost #1 of 65/26/12 at 7:01amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 65/26/12 at 8:14am
You may continue running TRS to RCA cables, however what is your source of your inputs? And are you having any ground loops (two device sharing the same power line grounds)? What is the length of the transmission cables? You can try switching to XLR first to see if it solves any noise problems related to grounding.post #3 of 65/26/12 at 3:43pmThread Starter
My mixer receives an unbalanced stereo input from my computer's soundcard. I'm sure that's probably the source of the majority of the background hiss. It's about a 4-5ft run. The mixer-> monitor runs are about the same length.
post #4 of 65/26/12 at 5:40pmThread Starter
OK, so I just put some balanced TRS cables between the mixer and the monitors. The signal level dropped, which I guess is expected. But what I'm curious about is whether the mixer just passes through the unbalanced signal to the monitors, or if it converts it to a balanced signal before sending it out.post #5 of 65/26/12 at 8:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by FieldEffect
OK, so I just put some balanced TRS cables between the mixer and the monitors. The signal level dropped, which I guess is expected. But what I'm curious about is whether the mixer just passes through the unbalanced signal to the monitors, or if it converts it to a balanced signal before sending it out.
From what I know now, your mixer is sending unbalanced signal to the monitors as the Mackie block diagram does not include transformers to reject ground noise(if it really is a noise problem)Quote:
It might be the sound card problem? Old soundcards can be fairly noisy with little EMI protection. Can you try connecting the soundcard and monitors directly to see if the noise persist?
Edited by firev1 - 5/26/12 at 9:25pmpost #6 of 65/27/12 at 2:59amThread Starter
You're probably right. I probably just need a better soundcard. I went back to the unbalanced interconnects because they deliver a higher level signal.
I'm looking at the Asus Xonar Essence sound cards for future.Return Home
- Running balanced cables from mixer to studio monitors
- Hi End Cables
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 5 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review 4 minutes ago
- › New Hifiman Flagship (together with Unique Melody): RE1000 4 minutes ago
- › Help planning my first sitting room hi-fi setup 5 minutes ago
- › FS: Stax "KGSS-A" aka Maxed out SRM-727A 5 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 6 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › RHA T20 by Cotnijoe
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)