Anyone have any thoughts about how this unit compares to both the older Compass as well as the NFB-5. I am looking for a good USB DAC combo to pair with a mini-itx computer build solely for music playback. So I dont need something super portable with batteries but I like the price of the 16
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- "Transportable" Dac/Amps - recommendations? Last post on 9/18/12 at 8:59am in Portable Headphone Amps
- USB DAC and seperate headphone amp OR combo USB DAC headphone amp Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:01pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Dac/Amp to go with Grado RS-2s Last post on 2/26/13 at 11:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which Portable Amp do you think is better!! Last post on 7/9/12 at 10:20am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Cheap ($100-$200) amp (pref. DAC combo) for HE-500 with analog line in Last post on 6/19/12 at 8:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I picked these beautiful-looking babies on amazon few days ago when price dropped on amazon (used ones from amazon warehouse for $400), which was a bargain; compared to $300 price tag on HD650's....
I began to search for a shorter cable for my HD600 just because the stock cable is to long for using with a portable device. I didn't want to spend to much under $100. I did the standard Amazon and...
Exclusive sound, high quality patents "sandwich diaphragm" metal meets the technical.
I will leave the technical speak and unboxing play-by-play to the reviews that are already here, done by people who do a much better job than I can currently manage. Just know that the iDSD Micro...
Ok, I've had these for a while now and decided to leave some feedback on these. First thing, the sound from these IEM's (earphones) are nothing short of excellent with a few minor dislikes. At...
- Headphone Impedance
NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp - Page 7
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Due to the fact it has fixed and variable pre outs I take it? Anything else different between the units?
Another level improvement I am guessing- another level better power supply, etc. I have never owned the NFB5, only the NFB12, NFB16 and the NFB10SE (among other higher end AGD gear)
Edited by tim3320070 - 8/13/12 at 4:23pm
So obviously this is your thought NFB-16 < NFB-12 < NFB-5
Is the NFB-16 considered dark? Or is that the house-sound of Audio-gd? I tried it with the Hifiman HE-400 and Beyer DT250, both sounded great out of it, but when I tried the HD650, it sounded slow and a bit too dark.
No its the HD650 that are slow and dark. All the Audio-gd gear I have have been pretty neutral.
However maybe the NFB-16 is not good at driving high impedance phones.
But I've tried the LCD2 on it too and it wasn't as slow nor dark, but I do think it was lacking power driving the high demand headphones.
The LCD's are not slow and are not as dark as the HD650's. The LCD's are also lowish impedance.
None of your other phones are more than 80 ohms if I am correct so it still might be an impedance issue and the NFB-16 does not do so well with high impedance (the HD650's are 300 ohm impedance) phones.
If the HD650's are not being driven properly then their flaws (slow, dark) will be emphasized.
What is the power output at 300 ohms of the NFB-16. It does not say on the Audio-gd website although it does say its designed to be 'neutral and dynamic'
My DT250 are at 250ohms and I'm listening to them right now with my Macbook Pro and they sound great. The HD650 sounded a bit dark with the Triad L3 too, better when I switched to the Just Audio AHA-120 or the Stepdance.
OK, I did a quick search for the DT250 and the first couple I found were 80 ohms so I asumed they all were.
The hD650's are slow and dark sounding phones the only way to get away from that is to buy an amp that is totally the opposite and hope they cancel each other out. But then that amp won't be any good for any other phones.
I have looked at your profile and you have better phones than the HD650's. Are they your preferred phone for portable use?
Edited by nigeljames - 8/17/12 at 5:54am
Non-negative feedback circuits have a reputation for sounding "dark", but then, arguably, large amounts of negative feedback in a circuit can give it a reputation for sounding "bright". The latter, to me, sound glare-y and irritating, but some people seem to like it.
Basically with Audio-gd gear, the more you pay, the better the power supply and better the amp's performance gets. The NFB-16 I have here (non-battery-powered) doesn't have a strong amp when using it with USB power only, as the soundstage seems to fall apart with complex music, but given I listen to a lot of jazz and often use it with a pair of active speakers and the power supply from the Digital Interface, it sounds lovely to me and that issue doesn't come up.
For HD650s you need a C2 amp or NFB-10 or better or get one or another unit to use as a DAC and an OTL tube amp and a bunch of tubes to play with to tune the sound to your liking.
- NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Bicycle-Fi! 7 seconds ago
- › Luxury & Precision L5 32bit DSD Portable Lossless Music Player with... 53 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 59 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 3 minutes ago
- › Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go. 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by KopaZ
- › Tennmak Sennheiser HD600/650 Short Cable by bikerboy94
- › Original Xiaomi Piston III Youth Edition Earphone Earbuds Headset... by leoscarax
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2