Anyone have any thoughts about how this unit compares to both the older Compass as well as the NFB-5. I am looking for a good USB DAC combo to pair with a mini-itx computer build solely for music playback. So I dont need something super portable with batteries but I like the price of the 16
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- "Transportable" Dac/Amps - recommendations? Last post on 9/18/12 at 8:59am in Portable Headphone Amps
- USB DAC and seperate headphone amp OR combo USB DAC headphone amp Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:01pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Dac/Amp to go with Grado RS-2s Last post on 2/26/13 at 11:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which Portable Amp do you think is better!! Last post on 7/9/12 at 10:20am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Cheap ($100-$200) amp (pref. DAC combo) for HE-500 with analog line in Last post on 6/19/12 at 8:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
- Headphone Impedance
NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp - Page 7
Due to the fact it has fixed and variable pre outs I take it? Anything else different between the units?
Another level improvement I am guessing- another level better power supply, etc. I have never owned the NFB5, only the NFB12, NFB16 and the NFB10SE (among other higher end AGD gear)
Edited by tim3320070 - 8/13/12 at 4:23pm
So obviously this is your thought NFB-16 < NFB-12 < NFB-5
Is the NFB-16 considered dark? Or is that the house-sound of Audio-gd? I tried it with the Hifiman HE-400 and Beyer DT250, both sounded great out of it, but when I tried the HD650, it sounded slow and a bit too dark.
No its the HD650 that are slow and dark. All the Audio-gd gear I have have been pretty neutral.
However maybe the NFB-16 is not good at driving high impedance phones.
But I've tried the LCD2 on it too and it wasn't as slow nor dark, but I do think it was lacking power driving the high demand headphones.
The LCD's are not slow and are not as dark as the HD650's. The LCD's are also lowish impedance.
None of your other phones are more than 80 ohms if I am correct so it still might be an impedance issue and the NFB-16 does not do so well with high impedance (the HD650's are 300 ohm impedance) phones.
If the HD650's are not being driven properly then their flaws (slow, dark) will be emphasized.
What is the power output at 300 ohms of the NFB-16. It does not say on the Audio-gd website although it does say its designed to be 'neutral and dynamic'
My DT250 are at 250ohms and I'm listening to them right now with my Macbook Pro and they sound great. The HD650 sounded a bit dark with the Triad L3 too, better when I switched to the Just Audio AHA-120 or the Stepdance.
OK, I did a quick search for the DT250 and the first couple I found were 80 ohms so I asumed they all were.
The hD650's are slow and dark sounding phones the only way to get away from that is to buy an amp that is totally the opposite and hope they cancel each other out. But then that amp won't be any good for any other phones.
I have looked at your profile and you have better phones than the HD650's. Are they your preferred phone for portable use?
Edited by nigeljames - 8/17/12 at 5:54am
Non-negative feedback circuits have a reputation for sounding "dark", but then, arguably, large amounts of negative feedback in a circuit can give it a reputation for sounding "bright". The latter, to me, sound glare-y and irritating, but some people seem to like it.
Basically with Audio-gd gear, the more you pay, the better the power supply and better the amp's performance gets. The NFB-16 I have here (non-battery-powered) doesn't have a strong amp when using it with USB power only, as the soundstage seems to fall apart with complex music, but given I listen to a lot of jazz and often use it with a pair of active speakers and the power supply from the Digital Interface, it sounds lovely to me and that issue doesn't come up.
For HD650s you need a C2 amp or NFB-10 or better or get one or another unit to use as a DAC and an OTL tube amp and a bunch of tubes to play with to tune the sound to your liking.
- NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Best amp/dac for HD 650s? 31 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 37 seconds ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 49 seconds ago
- › ROCK JAW Testers 1 minute ago
- › Opamp + adapter for FiiO E12DIY 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 3 minutes ago
- › Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement 3 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 4 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 7 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)