Anyone have any thoughts about how this unit compares to both the older Compass as well as the NFB-5. I am looking for a good USB DAC combo to pair with a mini-itx computer build solely for music playback. So I dont need something super portable with batteries but I like the price of the 16
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- "Transportable" Dac/Amps - recommendations? Last post on 9/18/12 at 8:59am in Portable Headphone Amps
- USB DAC and seperate headphone amp OR combo USB DAC headphone amp Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:01pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Dac/Amp to go with Grado RS-2s Last post on 2/26/13 at 11:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which Portable Amp do you think is better!! Last post on 7/9/12 at 10:20am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Cheap ($100-$200) amp (pref. DAC combo) for HE-500 with analog line in Last post on 6/19/12 at 8:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
Astell & Kern AKR01 Jimmy Moon at Astell & Kern was kind enough to lend me a pair of AKR01's for review. Big thanks to him. Anyways, review ahead! What are they: I notice that I haven't...
Heir audio was once thought to be the next king of IEMs. Rave reviews was floating everywhere online. The air around these IEMs were so enticing that one who has never heard them would be drawn to...
I have to say, as introduction: I'm not an audiophile, just an "enhanced" user with more than 20 years of analogic and digital listen. I use mainly portable devices, some Fii amplifier, and I...
I'm still a newbie in the headphone category, just starting to try out all the hyped ones like SRH840, HD650/600 etc from the beginning of this year. Now I'm left with this, HD600, and DT880....
- Headphone Impedance
NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp - Page 7
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Due to the fact it has fixed and variable pre outs I take it? Anything else different between the units?
Another level improvement I am guessing- another level better power supply, etc. I have never owned the NFB5, only the NFB12, NFB16 and the NFB10SE (among other higher end AGD gear)
Edited by tim3320070 - 8/13/12 at 4:23pm
So obviously this is your thought NFB-16 < NFB-12 < NFB-5
Is the NFB-16 considered dark? Or is that the house-sound of Audio-gd? I tried it with the Hifiman HE-400 and Beyer DT250, both sounded great out of it, but when I tried the HD650, it sounded slow and a bit too dark.
No its the HD650 that are slow and dark. All the Audio-gd gear I have have been pretty neutral.
However maybe the NFB-16 is not good at driving high impedance phones.
But I've tried the LCD2 on it too and it wasn't as slow nor dark, but I do think it was lacking power driving the high demand headphones.
The LCD's are not slow and are not as dark as the HD650's. The LCD's are also lowish impedance.
None of your other phones are more than 80 ohms if I am correct so it still might be an impedance issue and the NFB-16 does not do so well with high impedance (the HD650's are 300 ohm impedance) phones.
If the HD650's are not being driven properly then their flaws (slow, dark) will be emphasized.
What is the power output at 300 ohms of the NFB-16. It does not say on the Audio-gd website although it does say its designed to be 'neutral and dynamic'
My DT250 are at 250ohms and I'm listening to them right now with my Macbook Pro and they sound great. The HD650 sounded a bit dark with the Triad L3 too, better when I switched to the Just Audio AHA-120 or the Stepdance.
OK, I did a quick search for the DT250 and the first couple I found were 80 ohms so I asumed they all were.
The hD650's are slow and dark sounding phones the only way to get away from that is to buy an amp that is totally the opposite and hope they cancel each other out. But then that amp won't be any good for any other phones.
I have looked at your profile and you have better phones than the HD650's. Are they your preferred phone for portable use?
Edited by nigeljames - 8/17/12 at 5:54am
Non-negative feedback circuits have a reputation for sounding "dark", but then, arguably, large amounts of negative feedback in a circuit can give it a reputation for sounding "bright". The latter, to me, sound glare-y and irritating, but some people seem to like it.
Basically with Audio-gd gear, the more you pay, the better the power supply and better the amp's performance gets. The NFB-16 I have here (non-battery-powered) doesn't have a strong amp when using it with USB power only, as the soundstage seems to fall apart with complex music, but given I listen to a lot of jazz and often use it with a pair of active speakers and the power supply from the Digital Interface, it sounds lovely to me and that issue doesn't come up.
For HD650s you need a C2 amp or NFB-10 or better or get one or another unit to use as a DAC and an OTL tube amp and a bunch of tubes to play with to tune the sound to your liking.
- NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Music Game IX 25 seconds ago
- › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. 1 minute ago
- › Unique Melody double/triple hybrid universals announced: UM 2X & 3X... 1 minute ago
- › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret 1 minute ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 2 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 2 minutes ago
- › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) 3 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Heir Audio 3.Ai by hapopo
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by JoeDoe
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by HPuser9083
- › Ray Samuels Audio F-35 Lightning by HeadphoneAddict
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe