Anyone have any thoughts about how this unit compares to both the older Compass as well as the NFB-5. I am looking for a good USB DAC combo to pair with a mini-itx computer build solely for music playback. So I dont need something super portable with batteries but I like the price of the 16
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- "Transportable" Dac/Amps - recommendations? Last post on 9/18/12 at 8:59am in Portable Headphone Amps
- USB DAC and seperate headphone amp OR combo USB DAC headphone amp Last post on 8/13/12 at 2:01pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Dac/Amp to go with Grado RS-2s Last post on 2/26/13 at 11:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which Portable Amp do you think is better!! Last post on 7/9/12 at 10:20am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Cheap ($100-$200) amp (pref. DAC combo) for HE-500 with analog line in Last post on 6/19/12 at 8:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Heard these with Chord Hugo and boy oh boy was I unimpressed... These are not worth anywhere their price point where their sound is concerned. Decently comfortable though. (The sound signature...
I decided to write a short review after buying the second pair today. The first pair was damaged by a clumsy flight attendant and her heavy trolley... Although I was super happy with the E700M...
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
I have a pair of EarTech Music Quads that I felt were worthy of a better cable. In particular I was hoping an aftermarket, high end cable would bring some missing "air" and resolution, more...
Hi, I'm new to this head-fi community and this would be my first headphone review here at head-fi. Other headphones I've owned and listened to so far would be the Sennheiser hd239, px100, rha...
NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp - Page 7post #91 of 1608/13/12 at 9:12am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #92 of 1608/13/12 at 11:06amThread Starterpost #93 of 1608/13/12 at 11:17am
Due to the fact it has fixed and variable pre outs I take it? Anything else different between the units?post #94 of 1608/13/12 at 11:19amThread Starterpost #95 of 1608/13/12 at 2:19pmpost #96 of 1608/13/12 at 4:21pmThread Starter
Another level improvement I am guessing- another level better power supply, etc. I have never owned the NFB5, only the NFB12, NFB16 and the NFB10SE (among other higher end AGD gear)
Edited by tim3320070 - 8/13/12 at 4:23pmpost #97 of 1608/14/12 at 5:52pmQuote:
So obviously this is your thought NFB-16 < NFB-12 < NFB-5post #98 of 1608/16/12 at 2:47pmThread Starterpost #99 of 1608/17/12 at 4:23am
Is the NFB-16 considered dark? Or is that the house-sound of Audio-gd? I tried it with the Hifiman HE-400 and Beyer DT250, both sounded great out of it, but when I tried the HD650, it sounded slow and a bit too dark.post #100 of 1608/17/12 at 4:33amQuote:
No its the HD650 that are slow and dark. All the Audio-gd gear I have have been pretty neutral.
However maybe the NFB-16 is not good at driving high impedance phones.post #101 of 1608/17/12 at 5:04amQuote:
But I've tried the LCD2 on it too and it wasn't as slow nor dark, but I do think it was lacking power driving the high demand headphones.post #102 of 1608/17/12 at 5:16amQuote:
The LCD's are not slow and are not as dark as the HD650's. The LCD's are also lowish impedance.
None of your other phones are more than 80 ohms if I am correct so it still might be an impedance issue and the NFB-16 does not do so well with high impedance (the HD650's are 300 ohm impedance) phones.
If the HD650's are not being driven properly then their flaws (slow, dark) will be emphasized.
What is the power output at 300 ohms of the NFB-16. It does not say on the Audio-gd website although it does say its designed to be 'neutral and dynamic'post #103 of 1608/17/12 at 5:19am
My DT250 are at 250ohms and I'm listening to them right now with my Macbook Pro and they sound great. The HD650 sounded a bit dark with the Triad L3 too, better when I switched to the Just Audio AHA-120 or the Stepdance.post #104 of 1608/17/12 at 5:52am
OK, I did a quick search for the DT250 and the first couple I found were 80 ohms so I asumed they all were.
The hD650's are slow and dark sounding phones the only way to get away from that is to buy an amp that is totally the opposite and hope they cancel each other out. But then that amp won't be any good for any other phones.
I have looked at your profile and you have better phones than the HD650's. Are they your preferred phone for portable use?
Edited by nigeljames - 8/17/12 at 5:54ampost #105 of 1608/17/12 at 6:48am
Non-negative feedback circuits have a reputation for sounding "dark", but then, arguably, large amounts of negative feedback in a circuit can give it a reputation for sounding "bright". The latter, to me, sound glare-y and irritating, but some people seem to like it.
Basically with Audio-gd gear, the more you pay, the better the power supply and better the amp's performance gets. The NFB-16 I have here (non-battery-powered) doesn't have a strong amp when using it with USB power only, as the soundstage seems to fall apart with complex music, but given I listen to a lot of jazz and often use it with a pair of active speakers and the power supply from the Digital Interface, it sounds lovely to me and that issue doesn't come up.
For HD650s you need a C2 amp or NFB-10 or better or get one or another unit to use as a DAC and an OTL tube amp and a bunch of tubes to play with to tune the sound to your liking.
- NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Singxer SU-1 2 seconds ago
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 22 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 24 seconds ago
- › Advice Wanted: Amp For Beyerdynamic T1 54 seconds ago
- › Blox B320, Blue De'mun earbuds 1 minute ago
- › Grado modders go Magnum 1 minute ago
- › CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more 2 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 2 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 4 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear