Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp - Page 10

post #136 of 160
Thread Starter 

It is inherent when powering from the USB but not from the battery.  I have not heard this noise from other usb powered portables however but I have also never heard better SQ from a portable DAC/amp despite the noise when in usb power mode, let alone from battery power. Currawong can maybe comment on the Dragonfly vs 16.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #137 of 160

I get a very slight high-pitched whine when USB is connected (via a special hub, not directly) with the NFB-16, regardless of which power option is selected. 

 

NFB-16 vs.Dragonfly: Almost in it. I think instruments sound a touch more natural with the NFB-16 and a touch more "dry" with the Dragonfly. This is something I'm picky about (and more conscious off because my normal system is high-end). The NFB-16 with battery power is better than either using USB power for complex/fast music.  

 

I just finished building an O2 as well (using the NE5532 as I couldn't get the recommended OPAMP through Mouser here) and compared the amp of the NFB-16 with that of the O2 using my Calyx DAC as the source and there is nothing in it again, with the O2 sounding a fraction clearer and the NFB-16 a fraction smoother. I doubt I'd be able to tell them apart if I didn't know which amp I was listening to.

 

Note in all of the above: I was using the Symphones Magnums, which might be described as high-resolution Grados not made by Grado). I'm going to assume that most people buying any of these will use a typical, fairly easy to drive pair of headphones, which is pretty much Grados or any of the recent mid-range headphones costing under $500 (or ones that should, such as the Ultrasones tongue.gif).

post #138 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

I get a very slight high-pitched whine when USB is connected (via a special hub, not directly) with the NFB-16, regardless of which power option is selected. 

 

NFB-16 vs.Dragonfly: Almost in it. I think instruments sound a touch more natural with the NFB-16 and a touch more "dry" with the Dragonfly. This is something I'm picky about (and more conscious off because my normal system is high-end). The NFB-16 with battery power is better than either using USB power for complex/fast music.  

 

I just finished building an O2 as well (using the NE5532 as I couldn't get the recommended OPAMP through Mouser here) and compared the amp of the NFB-16 with that of the O2 using my Calyx DAC as the source and there is nothing in it again, with the O2 sounding a fraction clearer and the NFB-16 a fraction smoother. I doubt I'd be able to tell them apart if I didn't know which amp I was listening to.

 

Note in all of the above: I was using the Symphones Magnums, which might be described as high-resolution Grados not made by Grado). I'm going to assume that most people buying any of these will use a typical, fairly easy to drive pair of headphones, which is pretty much Grados or any of the recent mid-range headphones costing under $500 (or ones that should, such as the Ultrasones tongue.gif).

 

 

Does the DragonFly also generate the same kind of noise due to being USB-powered via a special hub and/or  directly?

(As we know, the DragonFly is only USB-powered.)

 

What would  happen if you would use the ODAC - instead your  Calyx DAC - as the source with the O2?

 

Finally, would it mean that as DAC/Amp combos the O2/ODAC, Dragonfly and  NFB-16

are practically   indistinguishable   in terms of sound quality?

 

P.S.

It puzzles me why this thread  is not as popular as the DragonFly-thread started by Jude?

Consequently, it shows very  little interest in the NFB-16.

Is it due to the very small form factor of the Dragonfly?


Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 9/29/12 at 3:12pm
post #139 of 160

From a different sidenote :)

 

Guys how do you find the DAC partion fo the amp?

 

As I cant afford to get the bifrost for now, Im planning to use the NFB-16-DAC with the Lyr and HE-500.

 

Thanks!

Best regards, Luke

post #140 of 160

I think if I were looking for a USB dac only (to use with another amp), you would get better performance for the same (or lower) price, if you get a unit that is just that... 

post #141 of 160

Its not available anymore... Is it discontinued or what? confused.gif

post #142 of 160

Somethings not right here.

 

There is no difference that I can tell with the amp going or just plugging my HD600s into the sansa mp3 player. I would have thought this amp pack a punch.


Edited by Ghaunty22 - 10/10/12 at 6:48am
post #143 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaunty22 View Post

Somethings not right here.

 

There is no difference that I can tell with the amp going or just plugging my HD600s into the sansa mp3 player. I would have thought this amp pack a punch.

 

I don't have the NFB-16 but I can tell you the HD600 was shockingly good with my Sansa Clip. It almost made me lose my faith in amping...or at least question what I took for granted... 

post #144 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

 

I don't have the NFB-16 but I can tell you the HD600 was shockingly good with my Sansa Clip. It almost made me lose my faith in amping...or at least question what I took for granted... 

Ill agree, compared to my bros iphone & ipod the sansa puts out.

 

Still this amp is way too quiet.

post #145 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaunty22 View Post

Ill agree, compared to my bros iphone & ipod the sansa puts out.

 

Still this amp is way too quiet.

 

Yeah, you have to push it to the max to get close to listening level on classical. The point was more than I'm shocked at how good it sounds. 

 

Now, I'm back to being a fly on the wall, since I don't have the NFB-16...

post #146 of 160

Even with High Gain this isnt enough to bring my 600's alive & I even like to go more than just "alive" with the desktop amp. considering its size & price & Huge body its only a bit louder over the TINY sansa.

:(


Edited by Ghaunty22 - 10/10/12 at 8:14am
post #147 of 160

Did you get the battery version and is it connected to the mains?
 

post #148 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

To me, the noise problem is very strange indeed. 
Anyone who owns the NFB can comment on it?
Does the DragonFly generate the same kind of noise?

clearly this is ground bounce from transients on the USB ground of your computer getting through, sounds like the filtering on the USB input could use some work
post #149 of 160
Thread Starter 

Selling my original version if anyone is interested- I still have the new battery version (which I am loving).

post #150 of 160

Sorry for bumping this up, but is this little guy still available? I don't see it on the Audio-gd products page, but it's not under discontinued either... I would just email them, but I don't want a quote until I'm absolutely set on purchasing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp