Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp - Page 9

post #121 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post

way to completely miss the point of a pretty simple short, clearly worded post.. congrats thats quite an achievement beerchug.gif

 

actually no, i'm guessing you havent actually spent much time with any of the cans you mention, perhaps just read some reviews, or at a meet and you definitely havent spent much time with both HD600 and HD650 at the same time

 

did I compare to any of these? NO

 

Would you say the HD650's are faster and less dark than the HD800's:  NO

 

no I wouldnt, thank god, the hd800 are bright and with some rigs/source material harsh and unlistenable with a completely unnatural soundstage

 

Would you say the HD650's are faster and less dark than the Beyer T1's: NO

 

yes, I would, I didnt like the t1 at all, very pretty but thats about all

 

 

Would you say the HD650's are faster and less dark than the HE6's: NO

 

and the point is?

 

 

Would you say the HD650's are faster and less dark than the LCD-2's: NO

 

faster no, but I would call hd600 pretty darn similar as far as tonality and the major difference between 600 and 650 is in text on these forums

 

 

Would you say the HD650's are faster and less dark than any Ultrasone,grado,AKG etc etc: NO

 

yes yes yes, faster, more natural and less dark than every single ultrasone ive ever heard including ed9, ed8, ed10, which are all tuned pretty bloody dark (with a bit of added tizz), completely meh and despite the exterior, 100% plastic. less bright than every bright AKG i've ever heard? absolutely most AKG are pretty clinical and lacking proper bass presence. the only AKG i've heard that didnt are the 240 with a proper amp

 

do the hd6XX have slightly more bass than completely neutral? yes they do, but so do more than half of the headphones you mention above, however driven properly extension is not bad at all and mids are all there in proper measure not recessed in the slightest, so to call them dark is false, slightly rolled off in the very upper registers? yes, but its pretty minor

 

Missed the point... ha don't think so.

 

No I haven't spent ANY time with the HD600 & HD650's at the same time BUT that is Irrelevant because that is not the point because I never referred to any comparison to the HD600's. So I think it is YOU who as missed the point.

 

Haven't spent much time with the cans mentioned?  Seriously!

I own the T1's,LCD2.2's, and HE6. I have owened the K701 and Untrasone ALO-780's AND I have owned the HD650's twice. So please check my sig before resorting to silly misguided comments.

 

I have not heard the HD800's and your opinion of those mirror what I expect to to hear if I did but really do you consider the HD650's faster and brighter (less dark) than the T1's. If so then you must be in a very small minority. Whether you like the T1's or not is not the point of this discussion.

 

And really are you saying that you consider the HD650's (the topic of this discussion not the HD600, which I have not heard) brighter and faster than K701 or Ultrasone which have a reputation for being bright and fast.

Is this a joke? is it April fools already?

 

And no IMO the HD650's do not have more bass than strictly neutral. Upper bass maybe but less midbass and very little very deep bass. So overall NO


Edited by nigeljames - 8/30/12 at 3:11am

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #122 of 160

you seem to have a problem with reading comprehension, underlined for easier understanding

 

 

Quote:
less bright than every bright AKG i've ever heard? absolutely most AKG are pretty clinical and lacking proper bass presence. the only AKG i've heard that didnt are the 240 with a proper amp

 

as for the rest, youre right, I must be mistaken, dont know how I could be so wrong

post #123 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post

you seem to have a problem with reading comprehension, underlined for easier understanding

 

 

 

as for the rest, youre right, I must be mistaken, dont know how I could be so wrong

 

Finally you get it. wink_face.gif

post #124 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeljames View Post

 

Finally you get it. wink_face.gif


no, just bored

post #125 of 160

I have a few Qs for Nfb 16 owners, I use the sandisk-sansar-clip mp3 player. And can you use high gain on this amp? Some music I have need high gain to come alive. How do you change low/high? I cant see the switch.

post #126 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaunty22 View Post

I have a few Qs for Nfb 16 owners, I use the sandisk-sansar-clip mp3 player. And can you use high gain on this amp? Some music I have need high gain to come alive. How do you change low/high? I cant see the switch.

Hi! I cant see a reason why not? I use high gain with everything (like my smartphone) Cheers! Luke

post #127 of 160
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

Hi! I cant see a reason why not? I use high gain with everything (like my smartphone) Cheers! Luke

Because the line on the NFB-16 can get overloaded and sound distorted- but that's with CD players, not portable devices. Go to the AGD website to see how to change gain- it's right there.

post #128 of 160

And no one has got a more layman's view on the digital filters?  I've asked before.

post #129 of 160

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and in general in headphone's world so i need all your help.

 

I'd like to buy this amp dac for my denon ah d2000 (alternative may be audio-gd 15.1 but output impedance is 2 ohm and i prefer 1), I have one question: is the power cable only for charging the batteries?

What do you think about its performance? I'll use with win 7 like dac and ampli because my pc has only integrated soun card.
 

post #130 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuotver View Post

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and in general in headphone's world so i need all your help.

 

I'd like to buy this amp dac for my denon ah d2000 (alternative may be audio-gd 15.1 but output impedance is 2 ohm and i prefer 1), I have one question: is the power cable only for charging the batteries?

What do you think about its performance? I'll use with win 7 like dac and ampli because my pc has only integrated soun card.
 

Hi yuotver! Welcome to Head-fi! :-)

In "DC-in" mode yes, plugging the power cable in in this mode would result in destruction of the battery itself. Whereas in "USB in" mode, you can freely plug the power cord in as in this mode the battery circuit is not affected.

The performance is very balanced overall. It is a little softer on bass in terms of "boom", but it is a great full-bodied, greatly textured bass overall. Good soundstage and instrument separation.

Sounds very good through PC! (noticeably better than with a portable or "I" device)

The ohm impedance doesnt seem to be an issue. My ultrasones are rated at 40 ohms and no issues so far. Only in USB mode when nothing is playing there is a little hissing sound but unnoticeable when listening.

I own the NFB-16 and it is very simillar to NFB 15/12.1 down to a few differences:

The NFB-16 is the only one that runs on battery (very good battery life - 20+ hours!)

It is also the only one which has a 3.5mm jack and a line-in (do note please that this line is a no-go! It is practically unusable, almost up to the point "broken" SO cross it out)

It is also the only one which does not have switches for filter/oversampling settings so you will have to open it up every time you wanna change something (I recomend removing all the filters, or experimenting a little after a while, the factory filter setting isnt the best sounding)

Has only one WM8741 chip, the others have two (dont know if it makes a difference or not)

Overall A great product. though if you dont plan on carrying it around the NFB 12,1 would be a better value (has a digital-in, which the NFB-16 doesnt have unfortunately)

A great value overall with all 3 models. NFB-16 - for traveling or if you are too lazy to plug them in (or just carry it around). Dont know whats the difference btween 12.1 and 15 tho, seems same to me. Perhaps the 12,1 is the best bang for the buck, but really all 3 of them are more or less a steal :-D A great entry level DAC/amps these are!

Great with Ultrasones, I havent owned any Denons so far so I cant comment on that.

Perhaps someone else might be better informed in this regard.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to PM me directly if you have any additional questions! :-)

Sincerely, Luke


Edited by conquerator2 - 9/11/12 at 2:40pm
post #131 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grev View Post

My DT250 are at 250ohms and I'm listening to them right now with my Macbook Pro and they sound great.  The HD650 sounded a bit dark with the Triad L3 too, better when I switched to the Just Audio AHA-120 or the Stepdance.

  

How would it perform with the DT880s (2005 version, 250 Ohm) and a laptop via USB?

 

By the way, I am finding this thread very interesting.


Edited by JakeJack_2008 - 9/26/12 at 7:55pm
post #132 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

  

How would it perform with the DT880s (2005 version, 250 Ohm) and a laptop via USB?

 

By the way, I am finding this thread very interesting.


I don't have one but will assume they sound ok.

post #133 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJack_2008 View Post

  

How would it perform with the DT880s (2005 version, 250 Ohm) and a laptop via USB?

 

By the way, I am finding this thread very interesting.

 

 

It spanks them.  It also spanks my DT770s (250ohm), HD580s & HD650s and a buddy brought over his HE-500s and they were spanked as well.  On lo-gain volume knob at 1 o'clock and hi-gain volume knob at 11 o'clock.

 

It looked sort of like this:  deadhorse.gif

 

But instead of beating a dead horse it was spanking a wild pony...lol..

 

Cheers!!!

post #134 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatFan12 View Post

 

 

It spanks them.  It also spanks my DT770s (250ohm), HD580s & HD650s and a buddy brought over his HE-500s and they were spanked as well.  On lo-gain volume knob at 1 o'clock and hi-gain volume knob at 11 o'clock.

 

It looked sort of like this:  deadhorse.gif

 

But instead of beating a dead horse it was spanking a wild pony...lol..

 

Cheers!!!

 

I suppose it really depends on your player thenbeerchug.gif

When running it off a low power device, such as my phone, I have it on high gain 3 oclock most of the time.blink.gif

At this rate the HE-500 wouldnt get narly enough power from it rolleyes.gif

Of course when connected to a PC, thats a whole different story beyersmile.png

By the way anyone has this problem - When connected to the pc via the USB (power selector - USB) I get these weird noises from the amp. They are more likely coming from the computer as I can hear the parts working inside... Whenever I click on something or move the mouse or just simply connected, this buzzing is coming from my phones frown.gif

 

I tried 2 different computers , 2 different cables but the buzzing is still there with both PCs/cables confused_face_2.gif

 

It is relatively loud (well I can hear it crearly) an ots really as if the Amp was drawing the noises from the PC...

 

Im sure there was a post around here somewhere.

 

Thanks!

 

Best regards, Luke

post #135 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

 

I suppose it really depends on your player thenbeerchug.gif

When running it off a low power device, such as my phone, I have it on high gain 3 oclock most of the time.blink.gif

At this rate the HE-500 wouldnt get narly enough power from it rolleyes.gif

Of course when connected to a PC, thats a whole different story beyersmile.png

By the way anyone has this problem - When connected to the pc via the USB (power selector - USB) I get these weird noises from the amp. They are more likely coming from the computer as I can hear the parts working inside... Whenever I click on something or move the mouse or just simply connected, this buzzing is coming from my phones frown.gif

 

I tried 2 different computers , 2 different cables but the buzzing is still there with both PCs/cables confused_face_2.gif

 

It is relatively loud (well I can hear it crearly) an ots really as if the Amp was drawing the noises from the PC...

 

Im sure there was a post around here somewhere.

 

Thanks!

 

Best regards, Luke

 

To me, the noise problem is very strange indeed. 

Anyone who owns the NFB can comment on it?

Does the DragonFly generate the same kind of noise?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp