Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JVC HA-FX40 vs Panasonic RP-HJE355
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-FX40 vs Panasonic RP-HJE355 - Page 2

post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by panteraMetal View Post

 

Absolutely agree.

 

Two days ago I got both FX40 and HJE355, and for my music (rock, metal) HJE355 is so much better.

While FX40 are clean and detailed, they cannot compare to HJE355 in the mids. FX40 have V shape frequency response while HJE355 has nice bass, full mids, and great highs. They are not cleaner or detailed than FX40 but for guitar oriented music they work much better.

 

It is similar to situation where I prefer 240S to Q701. Q701 are better technically but are just too boring for guitar driven music while 240S rocks.

Maybe not the best example, because technical gap between HJE355 and FX40 are not nearly the same as the gap between 240S and Q701.

 

Anyhow I would buy FX40 for classic and pop music, for metal and full mids HJE355 are much better

.

Thanks for this thread. Without it I would just blindly fallow the FX40 hype and miss better IEM(HJE355).

Also so far I liked all of yours suggestions here (JVC S 160, S650, HJE355).

 

I am trying out both the FX40 and the HJE355 now. Actually, the FX40 are going through intensive burn-in in an attempt to calm down the treble. So I will hold off on making a comparison until that burn in is complete.

 

Having said that, I have been listening to the HJE355's (without any burn in), and I am really impressed with them. I'm actually enjoying them and not feeling an overwhelming need to rip them out of my ears and and get back to my headphones lol! I have a few other crappy iem's (including a pair of $50 Skullcandy's that I never liked), but the HJE355's can't even be compared because they actually sound good! I have never gotten into iem's (obviously because I only had crappy ones lol), but these cheapo $25 HJE355's make me understand the potential, and I guess the really good, expensive, custom iem's actually DO sound awesome.

 

Anyway, am I nuts, or are these HJE355's actually pretty good??? 

post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

I am trying out both the FX40 and the HJE355 now. Actually, the FX40 are going through intensive burn-in in an attempt to calm down the treble. So I will hold off on making a comparison until that burn in is complete.

 

Having said that, I have been listening to the HJE355's (without any burn in), and I am really impressed with them. I'm actually enjoying them and not feeling an overwhelming need to rip them out of my ears and and get back to my headphones lol! I have a few other crappy iem's (including a pair of $50 Skullcandy's that I never liked), but the HJE355's can't even be compared because they actually sound good! I have never gotten into iem's (obviously because I only had crappy ones lol), but these cheapo $25 HJE355's make me understand the potential, and I guess the really good, expensive, custom iem's actually DO sound awesome.

 

Anyway, am I nuts, or are these HJE355's actually pretty good??? 

 

Based on a suggestion, I switched the FX40 to the supplied memory foam tips, and they seem to transform the FX40 for the better. The treble is largely tamed, and they now sound pretty amazing to me. The bass is very impactful yet tight, the mids are great, and there is plenty of detail. To me, they now sound much fuller than the HJE355's. I will report back....

post #18 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by panteraMetal View Post

 

Absolutely agree.

 

Two days ago I got both FX40 and HJE355, and for my music (rock, metal) HJE355 is so much better.

While FX40 are clean and detailed, they cannot compare to HJE355 in the mids. FX40 have V shape frequency response while HJE355 has nice bass, full mids, and great highs. They are not cleaner or detailed than FX40 but for guitar oriented music they work much better.

 

It is similar to situation where I prefer 240S to Q701. Q701 are better technically but are just too boring for guitar driven music while 240S rocks.

Maybe not the best example, because technical gap between HJE355 and FX40 are not nearly the same as the gap between 240S and Q701.

 

Anyhow I would buy FX40 for classic and pop music, for metal and full mids HJE355 are much better

.

Thanks for this thread. Without it I would just blindly fallow the FX40 hype and miss better IEM(HJE355).

Also so far I liked all of yours suggestions here (JVC S 160, S650, HJE355).

Thanks. I lost touch with this thread, and just noticed this response. The HA-FX40 and HJE355 are both good, except that the HA-FX40 has too much treble. That is good for treble deficient recordings, but bad for those with plenty of treble. Both have plenty of detail, however the HA-FX40 has slightly greater detail.

 

The HJE355 doesn't have the behind the neck adjusters that the HJE350 has. The HJE350 is good, however imo the HJE355 has much more detail and sounds much better.


Edited by JK1 - 10/16/12 at 1:30pm
post #19 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Based on a suggestion, I switched the FX40 to the supplied memory foam tips, and they seem to transform the FX40 for the better. The treble is largely tamed, and they now sound pretty amazing to me. The bass is very impactful yet tight, the mids are great, and there is plenty of detail. To me, they now sound much fuller than the HJE355's. I will report back....

The problem with the HA-FX40 is not a lack of bass, but too much treble. I guess the right kind of filter might decrease the treble without hurting the bass or midrange.

post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1 View Post

The problem with the HA-FX40 is not a lack of bass, but too much treble. I guess the right kind of filter might decrease the treble without hurting the bass or midrange.

 

Yes, changing the tip to the supplied memory foam tips definitely does change the sound of the FX40. If I were to keep either, it would without a doubt be the FX40 over the HJE355. Much fuller bass and mids than the HJE355. The FX40's treble is also more detailed and sounds good most of the time. For the most part, I find the FX40 (with foam tips) to be very nice to listen to. But occasionally the treble is still stronger than I would like. Although I would like to keep the FX40, it's more expensive brothers the FDX70 and FDX80 get overwhelmingly positive reviews. The FX40 (and my S500) proves to me how well JVC is incorporating the carbon nanotube technology,  so I have high hopes for the FX40's bigger brothers.

post #21 of 30

Had the Panasonic RP-HJE355 for little over a month now

 

Sound is nice for the price but im going to have to send these back as the isolation is quite bad when walking around London

post #22 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peco View Post

Had the Panasonic RP-HJE355 for little over a month now

 

Sound is nice for the price but im going to have to send these back as the isolation is quite bad when walking around London

With different tips you might get much better isolation on the HJE355. I notice that on the HJE355 the isolation is much better and the bass is stronger(indicating a better seal) when I push them a bit further into my ears(so the tip of the back of the IEM doesn't stick out past the tragus).

post #23 of 30

Anyone know how these hje355's compare to the hje350's?

post #24 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillshot2 View Post

Anyone know how these hje355's compare to the hje350's?

The HJE350 is good, however the HJE355 is much better and has much more detail. I have both of these.

post #25 of 30

Cool thanks for the response

post #26 of 30

@JK1- I forgot to ask how is the bass on the hje355's? Can they play deep and low while keeping the detailed quality they have? And how lifelike do instruments and vocals sound? Is there any soundstage at all with these? Sorry for so many questions!  I'm considering trying another Panasonic product since my older Panasonic hje270's I've been using lately are really impressing me after some modifications I recently did, to the point where I have put away my Monoprice 8320's!


Edited by stillshot2 - 2/22/13 at 9:27pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillshot2 View Post

@JK1- I forgot to ask how is the bass on the hje355's? Can they play deep and low while keeping the detailed quality they have? And how lifelike do instruments and vocals sound? Is there any soundstage at all with these? Sorry for so many questions!  I'm considering trying another Panasonic product since my older Panasonic hje270's I've been using lately are really impressing me after some modifications I recently did, to the point where I have put away my Monoprice 8320's!

 

hi, what mods did you make on your hje270. curious as i also own a pair of these hje270. :)

post #28 of 30

When I first got these (hje270) my impressions were that they sounded very bland, congested, and just kind of bad, so I thought maybe it was because of the filter on the end of the nozzle which I yanked out with tweezers. I don't recommend doing this first "mod" because it may be irreversible and would allow crap or dust to fall inside the headphone over time if you're not careful, plus I am not sure how much a difference it made so I threw them in the backup headphone box where they sat for months.

Then I bought some Monoprice 8320's and like everyone else had a hard time getting a good fit, which is where I heard of this next mod: I had to sacrifice the small Panasonic tips (which didn't fit me anyways) by cutting off the flange so it is just a black tube (seen in the photo) and you stick it on.  Then I took a tip from another pair of headphones and jammed it's tube part inside the black "tube." It may stay well enough for you to try out, but I shortly super glued them together to not get one stuck in my ear canal when taking them out.

Sound-wise it gave them more detail, clarity, crispness, more soundstage, they are warm sounding, they reproduce instrument sounds rather life-like now, and they still fit really comfortably along with giving a good seal. It did tone down the bass a little bit, but it is still there and in perfect amount for me. Vocals, drums, and guitars are now up in your face and female vocals sometimes give me the chills. The treble has a little bit of a hot, edgy sound to it which I find enjoyable, and not harsh. Cranking these things up louder only makes them sound better (up to a certain point). They are more engaging than the 8320's to me now.  You may or may not like the way they sound after this, but it's worth a try since it is so low risk to do. 


Edited by stillshot2 - 2/23/13 at 11:29am
post #29 of 30
Thread Starter 

The HJE355 doesn't have a great deal of bass. If you are looking for plenty of bass in an IEM under $20 then you should get the JVC HA-FX101. The HE355s strong point is its midrange detail. The HJE355 is excellent in its price range, however based on the questions you ask you seem to want it to perform like a $100+ IEM which it doesn't. It does perform very well compared to others IEMs under $20 if you don't want an extra bass IEM. As for sounstage, I haven't heard great sounstage from any IEM I tried. I get good soundstage from open headphones with 50mm drivers.

post #30 of 30

Okay. Now where to upgrade from these if I need a headset with a button?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JVC HA-FX40 vs Panasonic RP-HJE355