Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Hifiman HE-6 vs Audeze LCD-3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-6 vs Audeze LCD-3 - Page 11

Poll Results: Which one is better?

 
  • 48% (130)
    Hifiman HE-6
  • 51% (138)
    Audeze LCD-3
268 Total Votes  
post #151 of 405

Half a watt isn't enough to really hear the HE-6.
 

post #152 of 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post

Half a watt isn't enough to really hear the HE-6.
 

Or the LCD-3s as well.

post #153 of 405

That ALO is a little portable amp to power an HE-6?

post #154 of 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDfan13 View Post

I received the headphones today.  The HiFiMan came with a Cardas cable and the Audeze with the stock single ended cable.  I had no trouble driving either phone with the ALO Rx-3B amp.

 

You aren't driving the HE6 anywhere close to what it needs.

post #155 of 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Or the LCD-3s as well.


You are right, it's not enough for the lcd3's either. But it's a lot closer to what the requirements are for the he6 though. I can't believe anyone would try either, especially the he6 on something like that. 99% of desktop amps can't even drive the he6 "properly" let alone a portable.

post #156 of 405

I'm surprised it didn't sound absolute rubbish with the HE-6. Maybe you're just not used to high end headphones.

post #157 of 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I'm surprised it didn't sound absolute rubbish with the HE-6. Maybe you're just not used to high end headphones.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. You simply don't know what you're missing until you've heard it. 

And even then, poorly driven or so, so..it's still listenable.

post #158 of 405

Yea, I find the HE6 listenable even from lower-end amps. They just keep getting better with more power and quality. Love the Dynahi with it.

post #159 of 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

 

That is definitely not the case, the amp also went to ear splitting levels, it just couldn't hold its composure at, high though not earsplitting levels, into the HE-6s. Of which all 3 speaker amps we tried did. The b22 is an amazing amp, it performs beautifully with the LCD-2s, but its just not quite enough for the HE-6s.

 

Assuming this is a well built beta22 with sufficient power on the rails, "couldn't hold its composure" sounds like placebo more than anything else.

 

The beta22 specs are extremely good even at full power, which is >2W into the HE-6 (in excess of 115 dB). Did you try blind testing them apart?

post #160 of 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

I don't think that has anything to do with it. You simply don't know what you're missing until you've heard it. 

And even then, poorly driven or so, so..it's still listenable.

I own the HE-6, it's my favorite headphone. That being said, I had to buy a new speaker amp to pair with it because the 3 other amps I had simply didn't do it for me.

post #161 of 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I own the HE-6, it's my favorite headphone. That being said, I had to buy a new speaker amp to pair with it because the 3 other amps I had simply didn't do it for me.

That's not very meaningful without knowing which amps they were. From my side of thinking. 

It's known the HE-6 is hard to pair with a headphone amp, that said, it's because of how x speaker amp is comparatively.

The HE-6 and Lyr is not ideal, but it's ok. Compared to a speaker amp, it's pretty bad. 

But the Dark Star is pretty damn good with the HE-6, even compared to some speaker taps.

 

It's just dependent on how picky we want to be at times. Which is fine. We're all snobs to something. biggrin.gif


Edited by paradoxper - 9/22/12 at 10:33am
post #162 of 405

I've become extra picky through this hobby blink.gif

post #163 of 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjojo View Post

 

Assuming this is a well built beta22 with sufficient power on the rails, "couldn't hold its composure" sounds like placebo more than anything else.

 

The beta22 specs are extremely good even at full power, which is >2W into the HE-6 (in excess of 115 dB). Did you try blind testing them apart?

 

 

Sorry no placebo was there at all - it was the consensus of three people with there own opinions,  but the B22 set at 8X gain giving out 2Wpc into the HE-6 was not enough "compared" to the speaker amps we had in the house that day.  A blind test was not necessary - even Stevie Wonder could tell the difference (no pun intended).

 

The B22 and the HE-6 do sound pretty good together.  But not compared to the 3 or 4 sets of speakers amps we had that day.

post #164 of 405

Fair enough, you did the testing. Still I've seen (first hand and in others) how quickly "obvious" differences disappear when blind.

 

I'm interested as a question came up recently on the AMB forum where a user was asking about building a B24 (170W/ch into 8 ohms power amp) to replace his B22 for driving HE-6 as he felt speaker amps he'd tested with had "more authority" and was basically laughed out by the admin, as practically the only difference between the two is power, and the B22 already has plenty of that. The only explanation was expectation bias of the user that his speaker amp, being physically bigger etc, was doing a better job.

post #165 of 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjojo View Post

Fair enough, you did the testing. Still I've seen (first hand and in others) how quickly "obvious" differences disappear when blind.

I'm interested as a question came up recently on the AMB forum where a user was asking about building a B24 (170W/ch into 8 ohms power amp) to replace his B22 for driving HE-6 as he felt speaker amps he'd tested with had "more authority" and was basically laughed out by the admin, as practically the only difference between the two is power, and the B22 already has plenty of that. The only explanation was expectation bias of the user that his speaker amp, being physically bigger etc, was doing a better job.

I call BS to their motives by not even trying. Not everyone has motive to find the best and cheapest solution if it's not selling new gear. Look where we are and what some of the experts have said. Doing reference measurements with a Lyr?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Hifiman HE-6 vs Audeze LCD-3