I just joined this site and im looking to buy a new pair of headphones. I've mostly listened to ibuds and beats. I listen to rock and dubstep on my iphone 3gs at the standard itunes file format. My budget is 250 or less. I want these for mostly portable use, and will get an amp if needed, but i dont want to get an amp. Im currently looking at the ath m50s and maybe the fiio e11.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/29/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productiBeats Headphones with ControlTalk From Monster® - In-Ear Noise Isolation - Blacktagged by System, 5/29/12
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 5/29/12
- productTechHead Metallic iBuds Blacktagged by System, 5/29/12
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 5/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable and Isolating headphone for 150USD -- SRH840, M50, HM5,etc Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good closed headphones Last post on 12/4/10 at 5:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Too much competition! What headphones should I get for $100-180? Last post on 4/1/13 at 4:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- closed Headphones for a 3rd generation ipod touch Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for new headphones, need some help on choosing. Last post on 11/16/12 at 8:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
noob looking for new headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 95/20/12 at 6:07pmpost #3 of 95/20/12 at 6:35pmpost #4 of 95/20/12 at 8:06pm
dt770 pro (80 ohms) would also be a contender I believe... Fairly easy to drive, particularly with some amp, even a basic one, behind it. Bass extends fairly deep, though might want to opt for leather ear pads for better impact. They're also very decent for rock, portable, and durable (Made in Deutschland).post #5 of 95/20/12 at 8:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by SolomonPierce
dt770 pro (80 ohms) would also be a contender I believe... Fairly easy to drive, particularly with some amp, even a basic one, behind it. Bass extends fairly deep, though might want to opt for leather ear pads for better impact. They're also very decent for rock, portable, and durable (Made in Deutschland).
i dont have problem with a dt990 with velvour pad... and dt770 is not made in germany?post #6 of 95/27/12 at 10:51pm
All of Beyer's main line is made in Germany, one reason I have a lot of respect for them. Deutschland = Germany in German... I was just going for authenticity lol
edit: I love the velour pads also, the best velours I've ever put on my head imo. Just that the leather can add more bass according to some, although it can have some downturns for other frequencies apparently. I haven't tried leather on mine so can't comment for sure.
Edited by SolomonPierce - 5/27/12 at 10:53pmpost #7 of 95/28/12 at 9:05am
Regarding the DT770, I don't care for the sound signature. I believe the Shure SRH840 would be a better alternative. I can recommend the Fiio E11. It's a great amp for the money. But it does hiss a little. You only notice it when there are quiet passages in the music. Otherwise you don't notice it.post #8 of 95/28/12 at 3:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by hifihead
Regarding the DT770, I don't care for the sound signature. I believe the Shure SRH840 would be a better alternative. I can recommend the Fiio E11. It's a great amp for the money. But it does hiss a little. You only notice it when there are quiet passages in the music. Otherwise you don't notice it.
if thats the case, then i guess he should go for the e17, i have it and i never once notice hisspost #9 of 95/28/12 at 4:02pm
Ultrasone HFI-580, definitely. It beats the DT770 and M50 in sound quality (in my opinion) and you can easily power it with your iPhone, without an amp. The other two aren't BAD choices, and I'd try them out if you can, but I think the Ultrasones are a better choice.
- noob looking for new headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Grado e Series 57 seconds ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 1 minute ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 1 minute ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › [review] NuForce uDac-3 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 6 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)