I just joined this site and im looking to buy a new pair of headphones. I've mostly listened to ibuds and beats. I listen to rock and dubstep on my iphone 3gs at the standard itunes file format. My budget is 250 or less. I want these for mostly portable use, and will get an amp if needed, but i dont want to get an amp. Im currently looking at the ath m50s and maybe the fiio e11.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/29/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productiBeats Headphones with ControlTalk From Monster® - In-Ear Noise Isolation - Blacktagged by System, 5/29/12
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 5/29/12
- productTechHead Metallic iBuds Blacktagged by System, 5/29/12
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 5/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable and Isolating headphone for 150USD -- SRH840, M50, HM5,etc Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good closed headphones Last post on 12/4/10 at 5:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Too much competition! What headphones should I get for $100-180? Last post on 4/1/13 at 4:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- closed Headphones for a 3rd generation ipod touch Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for new headphones, need some help on choosing. Last post on 11/16/12 at 8:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
ZMF OMNI - REVIEW Zach and Luke are Ortho Docs Disclaimer: No mercy… though the Omni is merciful I really think the Omni can hold up to scrutiny very well. While I have been a long time...
After deciding that I’d need about $1K to get the sound I was after, I was getting frustrated with the IEM world. After all, I could just buy the OPPO PM3 for $400, call it a day, and deal with the...
Introduction I've been writing many reviews for local audiophile sites of my country so I decided to write one for head-fi too. Subject is Ostry KC06. (a.k.a Giant Slayer) Sources used: LG...
Obravo erib-2a Review April 2016 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sources used: Sony ZX1 Walkman, HP X360 Spectre with MS Win 10 laptop, Tag...
noob looking for new headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 95/20/12 at 6:07pmpost #3 of 95/20/12 at 6:35pmpost #4 of 95/20/12 at 8:06pm
dt770 pro (80 ohms) would also be a contender I believe... Fairly easy to drive, particularly with some amp, even a basic one, behind it. Bass extends fairly deep, though might want to opt for leather ear pads for better impact. They're also very decent for rock, portable, and durable (Made in Deutschland).post #5 of 95/20/12 at 8:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by SolomonPierce
dt770 pro (80 ohms) would also be a contender I believe... Fairly easy to drive, particularly with some amp, even a basic one, behind it. Bass extends fairly deep, though might want to opt for leather ear pads for better impact. They're also very decent for rock, portable, and durable (Made in Deutschland).
i dont have problem with a dt990 with velvour pad... and dt770 is not made in germany?post #6 of 95/27/12 at 10:51pm
All of Beyer's main line is made in Germany, one reason I have a lot of respect for them. Deutschland = Germany in German... I was just going for authenticity lol
edit: I love the velour pads also, the best velours I've ever put on my head imo. Just that the leather can add more bass according to some, although it can have some downturns for other frequencies apparently. I haven't tried leather on mine so can't comment for sure.
Edited by SolomonPierce - 5/27/12 at 10:53pmpost #7 of 95/28/12 at 9:05am
Regarding the DT770, I don't care for the sound signature. I believe the Shure SRH840 would be a better alternative. I can recommend the Fiio E11. It's a great amp for the money. But it does hiss a little. You only notice it when there are quiet passages in the music. Otherwise you don't notice it.post #8 of 95/28/12 at 3:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by hifihead
Regarding the DT770, I don't care for the sound signature. I believe the Shure SRH840 would be a better alternative. I can recommend the Fiio E11. It's a great amp for the money. But it does hiss a little. You only notice it when there are quiet passages in the music. Otherwise you don't notice it.
if thats the case, then i guess he should go for the e17, i have it and i never once notice hisspost #9 of 95/28/12 at 4:02pm
Ultrasone HFI-580, definitely. It beats the DT770 and M50 in sound quality (in my opinion) and you can easily power it with your iPhone, without an amp. The other two aren't BAD choices, and I'd try them out if you can, but I think the Ultrasones are a better choice.
- noob looking for new headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Music Game IX 49 seconds ago
- › LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING 51 seconds ago
- › Moving on from the AKG K551...? B&O H6? 1 minute ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650, great shape no nicks chips, new pads + 1 minute ago
- › LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ? 1 minute ago
- › Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › CAMPFIRE AUDIO Australia - New Zealand Tour (Reviews and... 4 minutes ago
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by grizzlybeast
- › Schiit Gungnir by Aornic
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by meringo
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Aerosphere
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by FortisFlyer75
- › Unique Melody UM Maestro 12 driver IEM by shotgunshane
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Kon Peki
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by k4rstar
- › Campfire Audio Orion by emptymt
- › 64 Audio (1964 Ears) ADEL U6 by Brooko
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse