I just joined this site and im looking to buy a new pair of headphones. I've mostly listened to ibuds and beats. I listen to rock and dubstep on my iphone 3gs at the standard itunes file format. My budget is 250 or less. I want these for mostly portable use, and will get an amp if needed, but i dont want to get an amp. Im currently looking at the ath m50s and maybe the fiio e11.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/29/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/29/12
- productiBeats Headphones with ControlTalk From Monster® - In-Ear Noise Isolation - Blacktagged by System, 5/29/12
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 5/29/12
- productTechHead Metallic iBuds Blacktagged by System, 5/29/12
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 5/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable and Isolating headphone for 150USD -- SRH840, M50, HM5,etc Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good closed headphones Last post on 12/4/10 at 5:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Too much competition! What headphones should I get for $100-180? Last post on 4/1/13 at 4:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- closed Headphones for a 3rd generation ipod touch Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for new headphones, need some help on choosing. Last post on 11/16/12 at 8:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The ONKYO A800 is a very impressive headphone indeed, and I believe it has the potential to really earn a following among headphone enthusiasts. To be sure, we are in an unprecedented...
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
First off, thanks to Pandora from Brainwavz for reaching out and offering the opportunity to look at the "Jive". Secondly, I noticed a trend that I'm giving 4 stars to everything I've reviewed...
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
noob looking for new headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 95/20/12 at 6:07pmpost #3 of 95/20/12 at 6:35pmpost #4 of 95/20/12 at 8:06pm
dt770 pro (80 ohms) would also be a contender I believe... Fairly easy to drive, particularly with some amp, even a basic one, behind it. Bass extends fairly deep, though might want to opt for leather ear pads for better impact. They're also very decent for rock, portable, and durable (Made in Deutschland).post #5 of 95/20/12 at 8:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by SolomonPierce
dt770 pro (80 ohms) would also be a contender I believe... Fairly easy to drive, particularly with some amp, even a basic one, behind it. Bass extends fairly deep, though might want to opt for leather ear pads for better impact. They're also very decent for rock, portable, and durable (Made in Deutschland).
i dont have problem with a dt990 with velvour pad... and dt770 is not made in germany?post #6 of 95/27/12 at 10:51pm
All of Beyer's main line is made in Germany, one reason I have a lot of respect for them. Deutschland = Germany in German... I was just going for authenticity lol
edit: I love the velour pads also, the best velours I've ever put on my head imo. Just that the leather can add more bass according to some, although it can have some downturns for other frequencies apparently. I haven't tried leather on mine so can't comment for sure.
Edited by SolomonPierce - 5/27/12 at 10:53pmpost #7 of 95/28/12 at 9:05am
Regarding the DT770, I don't care for the sound signature. I believe the Shure SRH840 would be a better alternative. I can recommend the Fiio E11. It's a great amp for the money. But it does hiss a little. You only notice it when there are quiet passages in the music. Otherwise you don't notice it.post #8 of 95/28/12 at 3:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by hifihead
Regarding the DT770, I don't care for the sound signature. I believe the Shure SRH840 would be a better alternative. I can recommend the Fiio E11. It's a great amp for the money. But it does hiss a little. You only notice it when there are quiet passages in the music. Otherwise you don't notice it.
if thats the case, then i guess he should go for the e17, i have it and i never once notice hisspost #9 of 95/28/12 at 4:02pm
Ultrasone HFI-580, definitely. It beats the DT770 and M50 in sound quality (in my opinion) and you can easily power it with your iPhone, without an amp. The other two aren't BAD choices, and I'd try them out if you can, but I think the Ultrasones are a better choice.
- noob looking for new headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Am I asking for too much? 5 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 14 seconds ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 15 seconds ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 25 seconds ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 1 minute ago
- › Grado modders go Magnum 1 minute ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit we'd like to see 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...