Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread - Page 2

post #16 of 352

When you guys try the Egyption PRIR realize it was made in a very large movie theater and can sound a bit cavernous.  I found that if I just listened for awhile to a movie I got used to the effect, but it will be very different than all the other PRIRs.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #17 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoax View Post

Glad you liked the PRIRS Kiritz :)

 

And yeah I did kinda notice something with the soundstage, also when actually watching movies sometimes back sounds turned out to be front sounds, however when I just solo channels and test them everything seems in order. One of the reasons I do like those PRIRS alot is because in my ears the sound is very transparent (like the speakers are in the room). Did you notice CaptainFunk uploaded PRIRS made in the MSM studios as well?

 

There's so many new PRIRS and i haven't got time yet to try any of them, one of the PRIRS on top of my list to try is the one in the egyptian cinema someone uploaded.

 

As for saving PRIRS in presets I dont know why it autosaves for you Kiritz, Someone in the other thread said that shouldnt happen.

 

I got a question myself as well about saving PRIRS in presets, If I alter a PRIR will it overwrite the actual PRIR that is stored or will it only alter the preset? Also can I delete a PRIR that I used in a preset without messing up the preset?

It turns out that the latest firmware is set up so that if you import a PRIR into an existing preset it automatically saves it.  This is different from before.  So I just use preset #1 and when I want to listen to different PRIRs I load them into it.  Too bad there can't be more presets.  This method makes it harder to compare them.  But I know that was not the aim of Smyth.

post #18 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubliss View Post

When you guys try the Egyption PRIR realize it was made in a very large movie theater and can sound a bit cavernous.  I found that if I just listened for awhile to a movie I got used to the effect, but it will be very different than all the other PRIRs.

 

Well clearly you should have hired people to sit in all of the empty seats to absorb some of those reflections.

post #19 of 352

True tongue.gif

post #20 of 352

@silverlight, Just discovered this thread.  I'll send you a PM request to join.

I only have a few to PRIRs from Audio High in Mountain View, CA, USA (system specs listed below) to contribute at the moment, but I will have a few more shortly.  I'm expecting delivery of a pair of Magnepan Mini Maggie Desktop Speakers in a few weeks for those interested, and I expect I'll be traveling to AIX for measurements as time permits.

Audio High Equipment:
Chord Electronics Red Reference Mk3 CD Player
Chord Electronics CPA 8000 Preamp
Chord Electronics SPM 14000 Monoblock Amps (700W rms into 8 Ohms @ 0.01% distortion/1200W rms into 4 Ohms)
Peak Consult El Diablo Speakers
Velodyne Digital Drive PLUS 18 Subwoofer

PRIR:
Peak Consult 2.0
Peak Consult 2.0  w/Velodyne Digital Drive PLUS 18 Subwoofer
Peak Consult 5.0  w/Velodyne Digital Drive PLUS 18 Subwoofer

@Hoax/silverlight, Thank you for initiating and supporting this effort.

post #21 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoax View Post

Glad you liked the PRIRS Kiritz :)

 

And yeah I did kinda notice something with the soundstage, also when actually watching movies sometimes back sounds turned out to be front sounds, however when I just solo channels and test them everything seems in order. One of the reasons I do like those PRIRS alot is because in my ears the sound is very transparent (like the speakers are in the room). Did you notice CaptainFunk uploaded PRIRS made in the MSM studios as well?

 

There's so many new PRIRS and i haven't got time yet to try any of them, one of the PRIRS on top of my list to try is the one in the egyptian cinema someone uploaded.

 

As for saving PRIRS in presets I dont know why it autosaves for you Kiritz, Someone in the other thread said that shouldnt happen.

 

I got a question myself as well about saving PRIRS in presets, If I alter a PRIR will it overwrite the actual PRIR that is stored or will it only alter the preset? Also can I delete a PRIR that I used in a preset without messing up the preset?

The new firmware automatically saves any PRIR you load into a preset in that preset.  So it will override the one you have there.  So it is important to save all PRIRs that you want to keep in their own one of the 64 memory slots.  Then, if you want to restore a previously saved PRIR into a preset, you just load that one in and it will again erase the previous one.

 

I believe MSM is the mastering studio that handles 2L surround recordings, which are really top of the line, audiophile discs.  I wish I planned to be in Munich sometime soon because I would love to make a PRIR there.  It is so good with someone else's ears that I am sure it would be amazing with my own ears.

post #22 of 352

The new firmware has made a change.  Now, if you load a PRIR into a preset, the existing PRIR is overwritten and the new one is automatically saved to the preset.  So it is important to save all the PRIRs you want to keep in one of the 64 memory slots.  Then you can just go to that slot and load the old one back in, if you want to, after you have tried out the new one.

post #23 of 352
Thread Starter 

Which of the MSM ones did you like most Kiritz? I got PRIR0016. in my presets, after long listening and comparing the other MSM ones I used for almost 2 weeks I think I like that one most. Im curious if that one sounds best in your ears as well. I finally had some time yesterday to listen to the other PRIRS people uploaded, so I just wiped out my SD card (after making a backup) and I renamed most of the files and copied them to the SD card sometimes it gave me an error when I copied a PRIR, My windows 7 said it had properties or something that could not be copied. Not sure what was going on but back in the realiser I was only able to see like 20% of what I copied. Anyways, will try again later.

 

To everyone who has been uploading PRIRS: Awesome! I really hope we'll have a massive archive soon, I will upload some more myself soon as well, I got some 2.0 and 5.1 as well with the description stage, I got no clue where it was made though and with what but maybe someone likes it :)


Edited by Hoax - 5/23/12 at 6:20pm
post #24 of 352

Does anyone here know that  Smyth team is working on the connection of computer and realiser? I hope that if they can release the new firmware, which can connect to the computer, may be we will have a software to control the realiser, it means we will have more button and option to choose, for example, we can have more presets button on the software, each preset also display a photo that was pictured on the orignal measurement studio, the model of the speaker, the place and the name of the studio, the room size, the angle...maybe we can put these data by the tester. It is much interesting to know this data  to better enjoy the virtual feeling as well as learn more knowledge of different hi-end speakers and top studios. It is also good for us to compare those PRIRs easily!

post #25 of 352
Thread Starter 

That would be awesome :)

 

I did notice a connection on the back that the manual said was to connect to a pc, also on the remote control are buttons and the manual said: Future use .. So yeah good news to hear there's something new cooking there at Smyth. Cant wait to see the result :)

 

What i'd really like to see is a screen with all the speakers and their individual settings so on the pc you can edit everything very quick and easy without using the tiny display and menu's

So yeah, able to tweak EVERYTHING from roomsize to each speaker setup / level / angle / distance / height / EQ settings etc. that would make alot of people very happy. Imagine tweaking your realiser with a laptop on your lap relaxing behind the tv rather than on your knees infront of the tiny display.. Damn I really hope their software will be as good as the rest of the machine :)

 

Oh also I think the Realiser should just accept anything with .svs extention so it doesnt matter what we name the prirs. This would be really handy as well as i got no clue anymore who's prirs are what and whom. Also able to make a prir database on the pc that you can export and share again would be cool. If the guys at Smyth are smart they should support the people wanting to build up a community around the realiser by sharing prirs. But I think they forget 1 thing, even non personal PRIRS on the realiser beats the hell out of any other virtual surround system. So if they want to aim more at the consumer market as well who will be sharing Prirs and make it easier for them to do so they could boost alot of sales


Edited by Hoax - 5/24/12 at 8:15am
post #26 of 352

I pretty much tried all the PRIRs now and I have to say that nothing comes close to my own personal PRIR. I didn't have the chance to go to a studio yet, so for now I could only record my own small home cinema setup. But still, I think it sounds way better and more real than all the other PRIRs. Sometimes the sound is so weird that I feel like some frequencies come from inside my head and some from the outside, totally weird. Bottom line is, a personal PRIR is what makes this system work.

 

EDIT: I didn't want to sound too negative, thanks for sharing the PRIRs guys! :)


Edited by CaptainFunk - 5/24/12 at 9:33am
post #27 of 352
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFunk View Post

I pretty much tried all the PRIRs now and I have to say that nothing comes close to my own personal PRIR. I didn't have the chance to go to a studio yet, so for now I could only record my own small home cinema setup. But still, I think it sounds way better and more real than all the other PRIRs. Sometimes the sound is so weird that I feel like some frequencies come from inside my head and some from the outside, totally weird. Bottom line is, a personal PRIR is what makes this system work.

 

EDIT: I didn't want to sound too negative, thanks for sharing the PRIRs guys! :)

 

With no doubt I believe a personal PRIR is what would make the system work "better" im still convinced that even without personal PRIRS you can find PRIRS for yourself that beat any other virtual surround system and dolby headphones. I must say though, this might be coincidence but I have been trying one of your prirs most of the time last night. The one made in your own home cinema setup. You have one for you and one for your wife or daughter called "Anna", Because im asian I thought maybe Anna isnt as tall as most men are so I went with that one first. And I really liked it alot. It really felt like I was surrounded by speakers, very good front speaker feeling as well. The only thing that I noticed vs studio prirs is that there was a bit much reverb as room character and it lacked some bass but in overal sounded very good. With some tweaks this could be my next favorite :)

 

By the way, what is your home cinema setup with?


Edited by Hoax - 5/24/12 at 10:37am
post #28 of 352
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubliss View Post

When you guys try the Egyption PRIR realize it was made in a very large movie theater and can sound a bit cavernous.  I found that if I just listened for awhile to a movie I got used to the effect, but it will be very different than all the other PRIRs.

 

I used a PRIR yesterday that sounded like in a cinema but im not sure it was the egyptian. It did indeed sound very different. No good on queit movies or just TV Sitcoms or watching some TV Shows in general. I used it on some battles in the movie Red Cliff and it sounded epic. Will be a keeper to use for some certain movies. Man im running out of presets :(

 

Maybe an idea for the smyth guys, instead of using P1 / P2 / P3 / P4 as 4 presets make them represent entire banks .. for example holding P1 and using the + or - keys would browse through 1 - 10 presets and P2 using the - + keys 11 - 20 etc.

 

-

 

Edit, Just opened the egyptian PRIR on the pc to see the description and it wasnt it lol. Just found out which one it was: Glenn Poor's Home Theater 7.1 (large home theatre)

 

Still have to listen to the egyptian one


Edited by Hoax - 5/24/12 at 11:28am
post #29 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoax View Post

 

With no doubt I believe a personal PRIR is what would make the system work "better" im still convinced that even without personal PRIRS you can find PRIRS for yourself that beat any other virtual surround system and dolby headphones. I must say though, this might be coincidence but I have been trying one of your prirs most of the time last night. The one made in your own home cinema setup. You have one for you and one for your wife or daughter called "Anna", Because im asian I thought maybe Anna isnt as tall as most men are so I went with that one first. And I really liked it alot. It really felt like I was surrounded by speakers, very good front speaker feeling as well. The only thing that I noticed vs studio prirs is that there was a bit much reverb as room character and it lacked some bass but in overal sounded very good. With some tweaks this could be my next favorite :)

 

 

I agree that it is much better than any other virtual surround system. So, maybe my ears are just not that compatible with the other PRIRs.

 

Even if you stick to other people's PRIRs, you just have to make a personal PRIR because it is so unreal to hear the exact copy of a sound system after the measurement. I demo'd the Realiser to some people and they couldn't believe that they're actually listening to the headphones and not the speakers. It's definitely one of the most intense "Holy crap!" moments I've ever had :) 

 

 

 

Quote:
By the way, what is your home cinema setup with?

 

A pretty old Acoustic Research Status 5.1 setup, nothing fancy. I got rid of it after I bought the Realiser.

post #30 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoax View Post

Which of the MSM ones did you like most Kiritz? I got PRIR0016. in my presets, after long listening and comparing the other MSM ones I used for almost 2 weeks I think I like that one most. Im curious if that one sounds best in your ears as well. I finally had some time yesterday to listen to the other PRIRS people uploaded, so I just wiped out my SD card (after making a backup) and I renamed most of the files and copied them to the SD card sometimes it gave me an error when I copied a PRIR, My windows 7 said it had properties or something that could not be copied. Not sure what was going on but back in the realiser I was only able to see like 20% of what I copied. Anyways, will try again later.

 

To everyone who has been uploading PRIRS: Awesome! I really hope we'll have a massive archive soon, I will upload some more myself soon as well, I got some 2.0 and 5.1 as well with the description stage, I got no clue where it was made though and with what but maybe someone likes it :)

I'm not sure.  I think I have two of them.  Out of town and when back will check.  But I believe there was one stand-out among them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread