Hey guys, I'm thinking about purchasing these. I don't own a pair of flat(ish) headphones, and I thought I should get these after seeing the good reviews of them. Though, no one has ever mentioned how they sound with metal or industrial, because that's what I listen to. I thought I maybe could EQ them, though that only does so much. Thanks for the help.
- productAKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/11/12
- productAKG K240 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
- productAKG K240 'Sextett'tagged by System, 2/28/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/11/12
- productK240 DFtagged by System, 2/28/13
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 9/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience Last post on 6/30/16 at 12:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K240 Studios + FiiO E9. Good combination? Last post on 11/13/12 at 6:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Advice please... USB DAC/Card/Amp (mainly for AKG K240 Studio and Audio-Technica ATH-M30) Last post on 11/6/12 at 8:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- AKG K240 too quiet? Do I need an amp? A sound card? Last post on 6/26/13 at 4:08am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Cheapest velour earpads that fit Samson SR50, Superlux HD668b/HD661, AKG k240? Last post on 8/15/12 at 7:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
"In a cold world of flagships, the LCD-4 gives me the warmth I have been asking for." -Probably someone...
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
AKG K240 studiopost #1 of 135/18/12 at 3:15pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 135/19/12 at 11:21amThread Starterpost #3 of 135/19/12 at 12:11pm
AKG K240 series have a good mid range and in general are good for music, but may not be bassy enough for a metal head.
But i do think they are a good value for the price.
The Superlux HD668Bs are a lower cost tawian knock off of the AKG K240spost #4 of 135/19/12 at 3:11pmThread Starterpost #5 of 135/19/12 at 3:24pmQuote:
Never use the EQ myself.post #6 of 135/19/12 at 5:27pmwtf? the 240 studios defiantly is pretty bassy. i think of them a very warm sounding akg. can solve that by taking the foam discs out but then it'll turn into a sibilance mess that'll stab inside your ears senseless so it's better to just leave it in there. it is pretty warm sounding though and the treble sounds very relax(rolled off). probably my least favorite 240 model but it is pretty good headphone and do like it a bit.
what will you be running it from? if it's pretty decent source i rather snag up pair of 600ohm 240 monitors instead. much more neutral overall and defiantly better extension at both ends of the spectrum with better clarity. you can find them cheaper or around same price as the retail price of the studios and monitors are still pretty common too so finding them on ebay is no sweat. or even local craigslist they might be popping up as well. that's if you don't mind going used(finding NOS[new old stock] monitors is still pretty rare).post #7 of 135/19/12 at 5:28pmQuote:
I don't either--at least only very rarely. If you are EQed the phones from the get go, maybe you have the wrong can for your tastes.post #8 of 135/19/12 at 5:32pm
The newer model K240s have a rather warm, slightly boomy sound compared to the older K240M, which had a very flat response. Look around for a used pair of K240Ms or I would suggest a different model AKG if thats the headphone style you like.post #9 of 135/19/12 at 6:18pmThread Starter
I don't have the proper source for something with a high impedance, A laptop and a fiio E6. So something that is 600 ohms wouldn't be possible. I mentioned EQ because I listen to various genres, so I often have to change EQ even now to accomodate them.post #10 of 135/20/12 at 12:10amQuote:
The thing about EQ is that built ins for players like iTunes and Songbird are not professional EQs; The precision isn't good and, since you want flat response, you'd have to EQ every song separately. It's why audiophiles don't use EQs but instead favor a certain headphone's color for whatever genre they listen to. I don't know what your ears favor, but I do know you don't want headphones with a boomy low end. It's not precise and its uninteresting to listen to.post #11 of 136/27/12 at 1:27pm
Hey Robust, did you wind up picking up a pair of these? I picked up a pair about two weeks ago and it sounds great for most things . . . but I get a strange concert hall type of reverb running Headhunter (Funker Vogt Mix) through it.post #12 of 139/9/12 at 4:42pmQuote:
That's weird. Small audioworld.
I was listening to Funker vogt (although a different song) when I started to notice a weird bass reverb in my 240s. You know how that goes.. Once something brings it to your attention you start noticing it all the time. Driving me crazy now.post #13 of 139/9/12 at 5:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by machoboy
That's weird. Small audioworld.
I was listening to Funker vogt (although a different song) when I started to notice a weird bass reverb in my 240s. You know how that goes.. Once something brings it to your attention you start noticing it all the time. Driving me crazy now.
LOL! you're welcome! Just paying it forward is all...
A couple of weeks ago, Beagle pointed out a flaw in an old Henley track to me. In this case it's even worse because the track is effed. Now I get to hear that flaw in EVERY SINGLE PAIR OF CANS I OWN, despite not having heard it ever in the past 22 years. BIG THANKS BEAGUE!
- AKG K240 studio
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 9 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 10 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 30 seconds ago
- › If your headphone was a car... 1 minute ago
- › Under 300.00 Closed back Headphone Recommendation 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears/ 64 Audio | ADEL A10/ U10/ A12/ U12 - New Flagship... 4 minutes ago
- › car-fi 4 minutes ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 4 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...