Hey guys, I'm thinking about purchasing these. I don't own a pair of flat(ish) headphones, and I thought I should get these after seeing the good reviews of them. Though, no one has ever mentioned how they sound with metal or industrial, because that's what I listen to. I thought I maybe could EQ them, though that only does so much. Thanks for the help.
- productAKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/11/12
- productAKG K240 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
- productAKG K240 'Sextett'tagged by System, 2/28/13
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/11/12
- productK240 DFtagged by System, 2/28/13
- productSuperlux HD-668 Btagged by System, 9/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K240 Studio owners please share your experience Last post on 9/22/16 at 1:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K240 Studios + FiiO E9. Good combination? Last post on 11/13/12 at 6:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Advice please... USB DAC/Card/Amp (mainly for AKG K240 Studio and Audio-Technica ATH-M30) Last post on 11/6/12 at 8:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- AKG K240 too quiet? Do I need an amp? A sound card? Last post on 6/26/13 at 4:08am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Cheapest velour earpads that fit Samson SR50, Superlux HD668b/HD661, AKG k240? Last post on 8/15/12 at 7:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Accutone is a company that specializes in hands-free communications solutions but they've taken their experience and expertise and used it to create a series of consumer earphones. From their...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
AKG K240 studiopost #1 of 135/18/12 at 3:15pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 135/19/12 at 11:21amThread Starterpost #3 of 135/19/12 at 12:11pm
AKG K240 series have a good mid range and in general are good for music, but may not be bassy enough for a metal head.
But i do think they are a good value for the price.
The Superlux HD668Bs are a lower cost tawian knock off of the AKG K240spost #4 of 135/19/12 at 3:11pmThread Starterpost #5 of 135/19/12 at 3:24pmQuote:
Never use the EQ myself.post #6 of 135/19/12 at 5:27pmwtf? the 240 studios defiantly is pretty bassy. i think of them a very warm sounding akg. can solve that by taking the foam discs out but then it'll turn into a sibilance mess that'll stab inside your ears senseless so it's better to just leave it in there. it is pretty warm sounding though and the treble sounds very relax(rolled off). probably my least favorite 240 model but it is pretty good headphone and do like it a bit.
what will you be running it from? if it's pretty decent source i rather snag up pair of 600ohm 240 monitors instead. much more neutral overall and defiantly better extension at both ends of the spectrum with better clarity. you can find them cheaper or around same price as the retail price of the studios and monitors are still pretty common too so finding them on ebay is no sweat. or even local craigslist they might be popping up as well. that's if you don't mind going used(finding NOS[new old stock] monitors is still pretty rare).post #7 of 135/19/12 at 5:28pmQuote:
I don't either--at least only very rarely. If you are EQed the phones from the get go, maybe you have the wrong can for your tastes.post #8 of 135/19/12 at 5:32pm
The newer model K240s have a rather warm, slightly boomy sound compared to the older K240M, which had a very flat response. Look around for a used pair of K240Ms or I would suggest a different model AKG if thats the headphone style you like.post #9 of 135/19/12 at 6:18pmThread Starter
I don't have the proper source for something with a high impedance, A laptop and a fiio E6. So something that is 600 ohms wouldn't be possible. I mentioned EQ because I listen to various genres, so I often have to change EQ even now to accomodate them.post #10 of 135/20/12 at 12:10amQuote:
The thing about EQ is that built ins for players like iTunes and Songbird are not professional EQs; The precision isn't good and, since you want flat response, you'd have to EQ every song separately. It's why audiophiles don't use EQs but instead favor a certain headphone's color for whatever genre they listen to. I don't know what your ears favor, but I do know you don't want headphones with a boomy low end. It's not precise and its uninteresting to listen to.post #11 of 136/27/12 at 1:27pm
Hey Robust, did you wind up picking up a pair of these? I picked up a pair about two weeks ago and it sounds great for most things . . . but I get a strange concert hall type of reverb running Headhunter (Funker Vogt Mix) through it.post #12 of 139/9/12 at 4:42pmQuote:
That's weird. Small audioworld.
I was listening to Funker vogt (although a different song) when I started to notice a weird bass reverb in my 240s. You know how that goes.. Once something brings it to your attention you start noticing it all the time. Driving me crazy now.post #13 of 139/9/12 at 5:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by machoboy
That's weird. Small audioworld.
I was listening to Funker vogt (although a different song) when I started to notice a weird bass reverb in my 240s. You know how that goes.. Once something brings it to your attention you start noticing it all the time. Driving me crazy now.
LOL! you're welcome! Just paying it forward is all...
A couple of weeks ago, Beagle pointed out a flaw in an old Henley track to me. In this case it's even worse because the track is effed. Now I get to hear that flaw in EVERY SINGLE PAIR OF CANS I OWN, despite not having heard it ever in the past 22 years. BIG THANKS BEAGUE!
- AKG K240 studio
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 4 minutes ago
- › A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO E11K &A3 Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early Impressions) 6 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 7 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 7 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 8 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 9 minutes ago
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear