The main problem is trying to find your truly preferred sound signature. It's so hard to know what you ideally want in a sound signature unless you know you'e really missing something. Once you know you found it, then you can upgrade from there.
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 2/23/15
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 2/23/15
- productSennheiser HD 201 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 2/23/15
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by nightmancometh, 2/23/15
Related Forum Threads
- Best Dubstep Heaphones for $200? Last post on 8/6/12 at 11:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- suggestions for budget closed/sealed headphones with metal music in mind Last post on 4/8/13 at 11:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed headphones for on a plane? Last post on 2/28/13 at 9:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Please Help, Top 5 Headphones for Under $350. Last post on 11/30/12 at 9:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Preface: Hearing the MSB Analog was a long overdue matter. A couple of weeks ago, I finally decided it was a good time to do something about it, hence I got one from local dealer to have the...
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time passed,...
Disclaimer I was part of the european leg on the X5 world tour, so I did receive a review unit, free of charge, for ten days, but it was already running FW 1.0. I am in no way affiliated with...
Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited needs some serious burning-in. They sound horrible at the beginning but after about 30-40 hrs they are getting better and better - very open (doesn't sound like closed...
Anyone here only own 1 pair of headphones? How are you holding up? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I went from D2000 as my main headphone to HE-400. All I can say is if you THINK you're missing a lot with the D2000 then there might not be any need to upgrade for now. If anything a D5000 would be a safe bet for sometime down the line.
With a D2000 you are missing a lot of the mids and the bass is domineering. This is fine if that sig suits your preferences but other phones will have massively different sigs
Sorry meant to put a don't in front of that THINK.
D2000 bass isn't so dominating and strong as it is slow decaying. Other than that I think its bass strikes a nice balance between extension, authority and relative volume compared to the rest of its presentation. Besides that its other major problem is a recessed upper midrange from around 2-5khz and too much upper-mid treble from around 6-8khz. Not to mention that its lower treble has a timbre problem in that it sounds metallic. (And EQ will not magically correct timbre and decay problems)
Edited by TMRaven - 5/18/12 at 3:04pm
I own a few relatively cheap cans, I'm just a highschool student with a love for music. So I won't have the option of getting over $400 for a few years. My DBI pro 700 are my absolute favorite.
I only have two at the moment; the only two headphones I've purchased in the last decade. I don't plan on buying anymore for the rest of my life (trying to get out of this sooner rather than later). These phones work more than well for the music I listen to.
plus one for me...I did the same and am loving the he400's. I find that just about everything sounds great on the HFM!!
Trying to "get out of this"? What do you mean?
It's a hobby that may be costing him too much money. It's his decision. This can get very expensive as I'm sure you've seen.
Of course it's his decision. Im simply trying to understand if he's wanting to get rid of headphones entirely or get out of the never ending pursuit of better gear/sound.
I have an $8 pair of IEMs that I love, so you can still have enjoyable sound for very little money....so was curious as to what he was referring to specifically.
I was going through a busy period for a while, and the fact was that most of my listening had become on the go. I felt like I couldn't justify all my desktop gear anymore. So I went and sold my ~5-6 pairs of full-sizes, my amps and dac all in one go, and plopped down for a pair of Westone 4's (still kept my speaker rig of course). Practically, it made total sense, but the materialistic side in me says otherwise. But I've lasted this long. So this should be a testament to others, that it's entirely possible to live on one pair of headphones.
Then again, now that I have time to sit down at home and listen, I might just go for an LCD-2. And maybe I should get another pair of K702's. And a D5000. The O2+ODAC sounds enticing as well. Maybe I should get some backup IEMs as well. Those GR07's look spiffy, as well as the DBA-02 MKII's...
I have a pair of 20 dollars ecko headphone that i really dont use, a pair of fake beats solo that i really dont use, pioneer se m390 that i rarely use but my brother uses it sometimes, beyerdynamic dt990 i use it at home regularly, koss tbse1 that i just got for portable use and sony mdr z1000 for portable use but maybe ill even use it at home. i never sell any of my stuff, i just dont like selling
I have the beyerdynamic t5p and it's great for all around use but I also got a pair of sr325i to use solely at home when I want a very different sound.
- Anyone here only own 1 pair of headphones? How are you holding up?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Band Name Game II 3 seconds ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 57 seconds ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 11 minutes ago
- › Hi! I´m getting started in this new world, please help! 11 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 11 minutes ago
- › New Releases 2015 - No Records Released Before 2015 11 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 11 minutes ago
- › MSB Analog by negura
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by kar13
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by WayneWoondirts
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3