Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Journey to Building a Budget Gaming Monster [Computer]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Journey to Building a Budget Gaming Monster [Computer] - Page 22

post #316 of 328
1: for gaming you didnt need a 2500K. A sub $500 machine could have one but depending on money an i3 is usually bought
2: why a ivy bridge z77 chipsetthat wontgive you any better performance with a "new" price tag
3; for $200 the 6950 is the best card to buy.

Mobos are bought off reviews and experience so its hard to tell what might happen.

Why were you disapointed with the gigabyte? The u version is extremely popular for ivt bridge mid-high range R
post #317 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

1: for gaming you didnt need a 2500K. A sub $500 machine could have one but depending on money an i3 is usually bought
2: why a ivy bridge z77 chipsetthat wontgive you any better performance with a "new" price tag
3; for $200 the 6950 is the best card to buy.
Mobos are bought off reviews and experience so its hard to tell what might happen.
Why were you disapointed with the gigabyte? The u version is extremely popular for ivt bridge mid-high range R

1) i3 2100/2120 for $120 or i5 2500k for $160?  I'd take the 2500k any day of the week.  An AMD setup may have been cheaper I will admit though, but not by much and the 2500k is still an amazing value at $160.

 

2) I started with a p8p67-pro and I thought the board was bad (turns out it was a bum cpu).  In panic I ordered that GA board from amazon for same-day delivery.  Nothing to do with a careful planned out decision but at $120 for a current gen board with positive reviews it seemed a good move.  Now I'm eyeballing either more serious boards for a little more or older gen boards at $70+ (refurbs I don't mind).  The GA board s OK not stellar IMO; I guess at my budget I can't complain.

 

3) Yeah for $175 it's an even better buy

 

It's not that I am disappointed with the board but I am not all that impressed either.  Mostly it has a lame blue color scheme and no serious VRM's (I think).  When I got the 6950 it was obviously used and had a 6970 bios flashed.  It did not boot with the board.  I ended up using the bios switch to recovery mode to get back to stock 6950 and then it booted right up.  I proceeded to flash 6950 w/ unlock shaders rather than a 6970 bios and it works good now.  That whole experience was not fun and likely to have not happened with a p67 or z68 from what I gather.

 

I guess it all loops back to if I try to stick to a budget I end up justifying better parts for *teeny bit* more and end up way over budget.  The used market is weird these days, newish stuff usually re-sells for such good prices that anything older is a terrible value proposition.  The 2500k and 6950 I got were killer deals IMO, the GA-z77-ud3h not so much but not so bad either.


Edited by Mr.Sneis - 6/1/12 at 12:04pm
post #318 of 328
You got it for $160? Yeah id go for that too any day.

Yeah you have to diagnose a lot.

I get what you mean. My new workstation build i am going for the extreme 4 even if it is a bit smaller and thinner :/


Where do you get these sick cheap deals?
post #319 of 328

I watch Hardforum classifieds like a hawk!

post #320 of 328
Hardforum!? Whats that?
post #321 of 328

Say what?!  www.hardforum.com (HardOCP) been a fan of the site since I was probably 13 years old.

post #322 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis View Post

Say what?!  www.hardforum.com (HardOCP) been a fan of the site since I was probably 13 years old.

...... ఠ_ఠ

 

Never heard of it. But then again I don't use sites like that too often :/

post #323 of 328
Thread Starter 

nice link to Hard Forum, I don't mind buying a  used keyboard honestly.

 

So I'm having an issue OC my 6950, I didn't flip that switch on the card it self [which might be why] but still using the AMD catalyst it bugs out when I try to oc at all :/

 

in addition NFS World isn't letting me patch it's high Res Files ethier atm -.- which is equally annoying <.< it looks good but it can look better so I'd better GET IT TO look better [why they don't automatically download the high res files I don't know -.-, here are option that lower them it's stupid to make u have to patch for the higher res stuff <.<] 

 

so yea there's that

 

Still want the Corsair m60 Gaming mouse as it's sexy'r than the G500, plus I might as well start Brand Loyality as I'm enjoying my Corsair ram! 

 

In addition still decied what keyboard I should buy, I saw a new Cherry MX Brown Cool Master for $119 so that's cheaper than most Cherry MX Browns

 

and still instaling and trying games,

 

I had an issue with Race Driver Grid, some thing with the setting XML doesn't like intel Multi Cores. So I'm having to manually edit the XML settings, still can't get it to work but I'll try another install today and see what I can do about it -.-

 

also OMG AION IS SO PRETTY

 

Aion0023.jpg

Aion0020.jpg

I played it b4 on like ultra LOW settings and crappy res so that's right dere is just beautiful! 

post #324 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis View Post

Say what?!  www.hardforum.com (HardOCP) been a fan of the site since I was probably 13 years old.

Fellow [H]er here. I don't post as much anymore though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

...... ఠ_ఠ

 

Never heard of it. But then again I don't use sites like that too often :/

When it comes to tech reviews and benchmarks, Hardforum is the first site you should visit.

post #325 of 328
I very rarely see it on google so I dont. For reviews i use guru3d, anandtech, legitreviews and a few others but for gpu and cou which is what i look at most i prefer anandtech and guru.
post #326 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

I very rarely see it on google so I dont. For reviews i use guru3d, anandtech, legitreviews and a few others but for gpu and cou which is what i look at most i prefer anandtech and guru.

Change of topic, did you ever receive your cake? :)

post #327 of 328
Nope frown.gif but i did receieve a new computer i built which featured

i5 3550
Asrock extreme 4 z77
Coolermaster n520
Arctic silver 5
Ocz modxstrempro 700
Amd 6850
Zalman z11 plus
Corsair vengence blue 8GB
128GB plextor ssd
1TB 7200 rpm hdd

This computer obviously costed more and isnt as fast for gaming as the one mshenay was recommended but it is for a digital artist.

And a jvc harx700

Ill be getting the objective 2 amp next two weeks(already bought) and i just received my nfb 12.1 dac smily_headphones1.gif
post #328 of 328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Nope frown.gif but i did receieve a new computer i built which featured
i5 3550
Asrock extreme 4 z77
Coolermaster n520
Arctic silver 5
Ocz modxstrempro 700
Amd 6850
Zalman z11 plus
Corsair vengence blue 8GB
128GB plextor ssd
1TB 7200 rpm hdd
This computer obviously costed more and isnt as fast for gaming as the one mshenay was recommended but it is for a digital artist.
And a jvc harx700
Ill be getting the objective 2 amp next two weeks(already bought) and i just received my nfb 12.1 dac smily_headphones1.gif

 

xD yea man I was gonna say you almost built my system, and it can't be to much slower, same CPU and GPU, = amount of Ram, still you know what your talking about

 

I will say this, my Rig runs fine but CLEAN THAT AMD 6850... my Stock Sapphire OC Edition 6850 had a CRAP Thermal Compound application... it was a freaking mess <.<, but after 2 reapplications I've got it runnining at 61c Dual Screens [1920X1080][1024x720] at 100% load and ideling at 48c and that's in 80 degree Fernhieght South East US air... in about a month it's gonna be COLD and I'll be running cooler ;3

 

I did buy a Corsair M60 Mouse and a Zowie Celeritas keyboard, I did not buy any additional fans for my rig and I don't think I will atm. So for a Final Cost around $1100 [Including New Mouse and Keyboard] I'm happy! The fun though is building a better rig in 7 months and spending about $500 more on it and seeing what we can do :3... that of course won't be a Budget PC [and in a sense this one wasn't a budget machine either]

 

So till ten gents enjoy! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Journey to Building a Budget Gaming Monster [Computer]