Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Journey to Building a Budget Gaming Monster [Computer]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Journey to Building a Budget Gaming Monster [Computer] - Page 12

post #166 of 328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

You bought it already? Nice then smily_headphones1.gif
The 6950 wants a minimum psu of 500W. That was made with usually an 125W old AMD processor in mond. Yours is 77W last I checked. Your fans wont take much power so you are fine.

Something like that looks great... One problem. With all the fans you will be putting in. You usually wont have much connectors to connect that. There might be a molex connector that will turn into 3 pin slots but im not sure.
The 140cm fan if I remember is molex.
The front and back should be 3 pin. Thats two. Add in cou cooler andyhats three. Most mobos have 5 in total and that cooler will use up the rest.(if you have 5) Is that bad? Not really. The case has adaquate fans RIGHT next to the not overclocked efficent Ivy Bridge. So using up the rest for GPU cooling wont be bad but then theres the question on how effective and looks. Will that fan setup be productive or counter productive to temps. The cables will also be stretched to different fan connectors and wont look good. Ill look into how this will work when I get home.

 

 

Efficiancy is all we care about Bowei, I could care less about looks, but having cabels organized not only looks good but helps the system run smoother I'm sure... wires every where sounds like an accident waiting to happen! I look into the PCI adapters, as well as more fans, and let me know who config you come up with.

 

I would think it would be better to push out more than your brining in, I would say like a 3:2 ratio, 2 pull in 3 push out. I would think you'd want to place your fans to pull air over your gpu then have another fan to push out that air, same thing with the cpu, pull over the hot air coming out the top than push it out,

 

My question is placing the other fans, like the one in the front.

 

Still I know you'll figure something out and when I get the build we can try a few fan configs out to see what works best. I'll look into that Molex connector converter thing...

 

We have the 2 PCI 3.0, and the one PCI 2.0 (1@x4 still makes no sense] then there's 3 Pci x1 slots which look pretty tiny... so we shall see what can connect to em! sp 4 total full size PCI's and those 3 little ones... and yea it would look a little messy to run cords, might be some way to run them under the GPU

 

Check this out :D

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888112

 

$15 free shipping, very tempting to buy... and it looks like it'll fit into those PCIx1 slots, which I assume are for fans, as I haven't seen actually hard ware plug into one in a while <.<, some old Win2000> systems might have PCIx1 hard ware xD


Edited by Mshenay - 5/22/12 at 7:30am
post #167 of 328
That one looks good. Good numbers of reviews means that its not a product that dies easy an people are satisfied. Ill look into more though.

So far I am thinking you just need one more to push air in over in between cpu and gpu. Both the 140cm and 120cm in back push out. The slot fan will also push out. Adding some fresh cooler air from the outside will help. You arent creating air flow zone like in euhemes guide but the guide is impractical for more users as you have to buiold your rig and parts around the guide.
post #168 of 328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

That one looks good. Good numbers of reviews means that its not a product that dies easy an people are satisfied. Ill look into more though.
So far I am thinking you just need one more to push air in over in between cpu and gpu. Both the 140cm and 120cm in back push out. The slot fan will also push out. Adding some fresh cooler air from the outside will help. You arent creating air flow zone like in euhemes guide but the guide is impractical for more users as you have to buiold your rig and parts around the guide.


Indeed, yea good point, you don't want any lingering heat between the two, but I would think the fan for the GPU and the one for the CPU wouldn't leave much in between, although we can mount a fan to the case to suck that air right out from there.

 

And yea I know to add in some cool outside air, but like I said 3:2, push more out than your pulling in.

 

Then when winter comes 2:3 PULL IN more of that cold air and leave two fans to push out the already pretty cold air [like seriously I'll be leaving my windows open in winter! I should OC during the summer so when winter comes I can push everything a little more since my room will be like 50 degree's xD instead of around 80, heck It might even get colder in my room depening. Thankfully my room is at the end of the house so... it's not effected by the Air Conditioner all that much. In the summer it stays around 75, the house house get's colder and warmer depeding on the time of day,

 

and in the winter my room is the coldest... I like it cold and with a Over Clocked Gpu... I might have that warm out pushing out towards me xD when my fingers get cold they get stiff... no point in a fast system if my hands are to cold to keep up with the insane fps lol

 

 

Nice I got top poster yesterday with 77 and two of my threads [once I started] got 5'th and 7'th in most visited Thread

 

- 'Site Stats - Last Day' - www_head-fi_org_pages_stats_top_range_1day_#members.jpg

07 - 'Site Stats - Last Day' - www_head-fi_org_pages_stats_top_range_1day_#members.jpg

 

Woot, I've beaten Tilpo and Bowei ONCE in my life xD I can sleep peacefully now


Edited by Mshenay - 5/22/12 at 7:51am
post #169 of 328
3 out 2 in is good year round. You dont want too much water filled air getting in there in the winter. You dont need to do much. You are already going pretty hard.

The mobo last I checked had two pcie 3 slots. You can have the GPU on the bottom or top slot. It depends many factors. I keep mine at the top slot. The proximity doesnt do anything and leaving the bottom slot open allows me easier access fo clear cmos switch.

Something like the $15 thing with molex connectors and good cfm movement will do. Know its where to situate the 120cm case fan and the pci thing you found. I need to "look" at scematics first.

But having one on your case pushing in(or even two) and a case ousher should be enough.
post #170 of 328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

3 out 2 in is good year round. You dont want too much water filled air getting in there in the winter. You dont need to do much. You are already going pretty hard.
The mobo last I checked had two pcie 3 slots. You can have the GPU on the bottom or top slot. It depends many factors. I keep mine at the top slot. The proximity doesnt do anything and leaving the bottom slot open allows me easier access fo clear cmos switch.
Something like the $15 thing with molex connectors and good cfm movement will do. Know its where to situate the 120cm case fan and the pci thing you found. I need to "look" at scematics first.
But having one on your case pushing in(or even two) and a case ousher should be enough.


Oh yea, good point... oh crap >.> South Carolina has humid air 24/7 I should proably get a de humidifier, but we've got those in our house so it's no big deal

 

anyways classes are changing and battery for laptop is about to die [but yea I like the 2 fan thingy I found!]

post #171 of 328
Ill look into how many fan connectors your mobo has. Sometimes
Molex connectirs dont deliver enough power because the fan was designed that way so you have to find a good molex fan.
Molex is just a power connector so dont let molex fans means less power. Its not the connector types fault. But most case fans that come with molex ones are weak. The 140cm in the rosewill is molex and low rpm(~900)but it has decent cfm so its all good smily_headphones1.gif
post #172 of 328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Ill look into how many fan connectors your mobo has. Sometimes
Molex connectirs dont deliver enough power because the fan was designed that way so you have to find a good molex fan.
Molex is just a power connector so dont let molex fans means less power. Its not the connector types fault. But most case fans that come with molex ones are weak. The 140cm in the rosewill is molex and low rpm(~900)but it has decent cfm so its all good smily_headphones1.gif


Very good, also HEY

 

THE GPU we got comes with a DVI to VGA connector :D, so I can dual monitor! I won't be running games dual monitor cuz my old one just sucks so bad, but It will be used for looking up guides tips and tricks in game :D, so I can read a walkthrough as I play my game, or chat with you guys in between matches ect... ect... so that's cool!

 

 

WOOT, my order is in packing! My equipment is being collected in the Ware House :3, and New Egg still has HD 6950's, granted they are $250 now but I of course paid $200, point being there should b no issus with my order ^^ and I just found out I have Monday off from school! Which means... WILL NOT SLEEP for 72 hours xD JK JK


Edited by Mshenay - 5/22/12 at 10:41am
post #173 of 328
I get flickering on my second monitor when I overclock or play games with it on as the gpu is having trouble applying resources to keep the refresh rate of my monitors constant. This can happen or it might not. So if it does jut letting you know. Due to this I usually unplug my second monitor before playing. I am to lazy to do benchmarks to see if a second monitor reduces performance.
post #174 of 328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

I get flickering on my second monitor when I overclock or play games with it on as the gpu is having trouble applying resources to keep the refresh rate of my monitors constant. This can happen or it might not. So if it does jut letting you know. Due to this I usually unplug my second monitor before playing. I am to lazy to do benchmarks to see if a second monitor reduces performance.

What is your GPU? Mine has 2gb's of ram and I'm told that the 1gb does fine with just games but you need the 2gb to be able to use multiple monitors,

 

So you might be right but I don't think I'll have to much of an issue... and if I do I'll be very unhappy >:[ 

post #175 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

What is your GPU? Mine has 2gb's of ram and I'm told that the 1gb does fine with just games but you need the 2gb to be able to use multiple monitors,

 

So you might be right but I don't think I'll have to much of an issue... and if I do I'll be very unhappy >:[ 

ಠ_ಠ

 

Who taught you that?

 

Forget everything you just typed. This is a model, efficency, driver problem, if you are talking about the flickering.

 

It could happen per model basis, if something in the setup form Windows config to the monitors and wires used to how the GPU was made and if there was designed and drivers.

 

Most computers can do multiple monitors.

 

You need a efficent card of adequate "speed"(meaning gaming performace) to drive multiple monitors in Eyefintey or whatever Nvidia calls theirs.

 

To just "run" two monitors is not a problem.

 

A 2GiB graphics card from 2005 is not nearly as fast as a 1GiB GTX 560 Ti today.

post #176 of 328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

ಠ_ಠ

 

Who taught you that?

 

Forget everything you just typed. This is a model, efficency, driver problem, if you are talking about the flickering.

 

It could happen per model basis, if something in the setup form Windows config to the monitors and wires used to how the GPU was made and if there was designed and drivers.

 

Most computers can do multiple monitors.

 

You need a efficent card of adequate "speed"(meaning gaming performace) to drive multiple monitors in Eyefintey or whatever Nvidia calls theirs.

 

To just "run" two monitors is not a problem.

 

A 2GiB graphics card from 2005 is not nearly as fast as a 1GiB GTX 560 Ti today.

Granted I know that, the comment was made refering to the fact that he had a 1gb 6950 and I have a 2gb, I asked him "why the 1gb" he said "don't need 2 monitors why pay extra for 2gb"

 

In addition, I hope we can OC the 6950 to perform like a 6970, as the 6970 is the Top High End card... that being said the 6990 is an entuhuist card so I shall never own one xD. Wiki is nice when you wanna know what year your tech is and how the company classifies it :D

 

<.< the 6000 series is 2010 tech... it's 18 MONTHS OLD :[, Oh well was on sale Over Clock ready and a good buy

 

Anyways, let's hope that my 6950 will hvae the shaders unlocked, if not I might take a claim up with Sapphire -.-

post #177 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Granted I know that, the comment was made refering to the fact that he had a 1gb 6950 and I have a 2gb, I asked him "why the 1gb" he said "don't need 2 monitors why pay extra for 2gb"

 

In addition, I hope we can OC the 6950 to perform like a 6970, as the 6970 is the Top High End card... that being said the 6990 is an entuhuist card so I shall never own one xD. Wiki is nice when you wanna know what year your tech is and how the company classifies it :D

 

<.< the 6000 series is 2010 tech... it's 18 MONTHS OLD :[, Oh well was on sale Over Clock ready and a good buy

 

Anyways, let's hope that my 6950 will hvae the shaders unlocked, if not I might take a claim up with Sapphire -.-

Cough Cough 2011 cough cough.

 

Well he does have some truth in the point. If he doesn't need it, the extra memory in 6950 then it's fine. More memory could allow for higher or more textures on a higher resolution so there is some "Truth" in that.

 

You can't take a claim lol.

 

Lets hope :)

post #178 of 328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Cough Cough 2011 cough cough.

 

Well he does have some truth in the point. If he doesn't need it, the extra memory in 6950 then it's fine. More memory could allow for higher or more textures on a higher resolution so there is some "Truth" in that.

 

You can't take a claim lol.

 

Lets hope :)

Oh please, an angry disatisfied customer is a force to be reckoned with and the bigger the company the more then Rule of 10 will hurt them, I can certianly call and make a complaint -.- 

post #179 of 328

Ummm hello. I am trying to undermine your company. I want to unlock my 6950 to a 6970..umm yeah I bought the 6950. Not the 70 but I want the 70 so I will use 3rd party tools to unlock it. And it's not working.

post #180 of 328
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Ummm hello. I am trying to undermine your company. I want to unlock my 6950 to a 6970..umm yeah I bought the 6950. Not the 70 but I want the 70 so I will use 3rd party tools to unlock it. And it's not working.

Heck yes man, it says "OC Edition" man that's false advertising! Beside you can proably OC a 6970 to run like what would be a 6980 ;3 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Journey to Building a Budget Gaming Monster [Computer]