Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K550 Review.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K550 Review. - Page 15

post #211 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by reload View Post

I wouldn't say that. The Sennheiser HD 280 PROs has more bass than these. I like using the Digizoid zo2, red and pink light to feel the bass.

 

I havent heard the 280 pros for awhile now but I guess i can agree with that. Even though something like the 280s have slightly more bass the overall sq is lacking in comparison. I should also mention that I found the k550s to be bass light at first. After about 50 hours of burn in and eq magic these are my fav cans since the DT990s 

post #212 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriff0400 View Post

is the k550 considered lo-fi or mid-fi?.its my first pair of headphones so i dont know how to categorize it

low...? well upper mid i would suggest


Edited by streetdragon - 11/13/12 at 11:31am
post #213 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

I havent heard the 280 pros for awhile now but I guess i can agree with that. Even though something like the 280s have slightly more bass the overall sq is lacking in comparison. I should also mention that I found the k550s to be bass light at first. After about 50 hours of burn in and eq magic these are my fav cans since the DT990s 

Thats funny cuz i have been choosing my 550 over my 990s lately as well.
post #214 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyleq View Post

Hello there,  Akg k550 owners;. I have a couple of question and reques for all of you. I've tried to search them in the forum and posts but could not find anything.


Anyway, I’ve recently bought k550 and love the sound, details etc. But the main problem is, I was feeling like the cans were little bit unbalanced at highs.  For me, the right can was little bit quitter.

 

im not sure if i have a problem with mine either but the right side does seem softer at times but after trying out many songs i think it has to do with how the song was produced because some songs to me seem like there to the left of me and and some songs are very wide and balanced.majority of the songs ive used sound normal so i think it has to do with the source itself.

post #215 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriff0400 View Post

 

im not sure if i have a problem with mine either but the right side does seem softer at times but after trying out many songs i think it has to do with how the song was produced because some songs to me seem like there to the left of me and and some songs are very wide and balanced.majority of the songs ive used sound normal so i think it has to do with the source itself.

Off course, some of thesongs may panned differently in right and left channels, due to the nature of stereo recordings, done on purpose. You and many people will surely realize that.

But i'm more talking about the freq. response of the two cans.If you just play the same tone at same db in two cans.(you may get some help from cubase etc. here or tone control programs)  you'll notice or not what i'm talking about if you have the same problem. The best way to understand this is listening  drive matching test @  http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php or just producing a signal varying between 2khz-20 khz on your own.

 

Btw, i made the similiar tests on my Westone um1 listened similiar songs, the results were not like AKG K550. I've already contacted to the local service for exchange.
 

post #216 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

low...? well upper mid i would suggest


Definitely on higher/upper mid-fi!

post #217 of 320

Just got these and am very impressed. Bass quality, extension, detail retrieval, air are all excellent. I would prefer a less harsh upper midrange though (just a bit of sibilance)- has anybody modded to soften this?

 

Also, has anybody opened up to recable to balanced? Can you provide pics if so?

 

Thanks!

post #218 of 320

Is there anyone who could compare the K550 to the DT660 or HD280?

 

I want something for electronic music mostly, listening and production, so good separation and extended treble, but that also sounds good with vocals and acoustic, with a decent soundstage. So I want an all-rounder I have heard both the DT660 and HD280, but not the K550. I thought the HD280 had enough bass quantity, but wanted more texture and maybe better extension.  The DT660 was a little less in quantity but seemed better quality and deeper, and the DT660s seemed to have bigger soundstage but not quite as good imaging. I'm looking for something basically like the K550 is described, obviously a step up in overall sound from the other two, closed with good soundstage, but I wonder if it's going to be actually bass light, as in less than neutral (I would consider HD280 to have neutral bass quantity, or close to it).

post #219 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Is there anyone who could compare the K550 to the DT660 or HD280?

I want something for electronic music mostly, listening and production, so good separation and extended treble, but that also sounds good with vocals and acoustic, with a decent soundstage. So I want an all-rounder I have heard both the DT660 and HD280, but not the K550. I thought the HD280 had enough bass quantity, but wanted more texture and maybe better extension.  The DT660 was a little less in quantity but seemed better quality and deeper, and the DT660s seemed to have bigger soundstage but not quite as good imaging. I'm looking for something basically like the K550 is described, obviously a step up in overall sound from the other two, closed with good soundstage, but I wonder if it's going to be actually bass light, as in less than neutral (I would consider HD280 to have neutral bass quantity, or close to it).

No it is not less than neutral by any stretch. Only if you cannot obtain a good seal which has been no issue for me. And if i were to compare it with the hd280 it would be like comparing a full sized luxury car with a smart car. The 280 is just a bad almost muffled sounding hp imo.
post #220 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Is there anyone who could compare the K550 to the DT660 or HD280?

I want something for electronic music mostly, listening and production, so good separation and extended treble, but that also sounds good with vocals and acoustic, with a decent soundstage. So I want an all-rounder I have heard both the DT660 and HD280, but not the K550. I thought the HD280 had enough bass quantity, but wanted more texture and maybe better extension.  The DT660 was a little less in quantity but seemed better quality and deeper, and the DT660s seemed to have bigger soundstage but not quite as good imaging. I'm looking for something basically like the K550 is described, obviously a step up in overall sound from the other two, closed with good soundstage, but I wonder if it's going to be actually bass light, as in less than neutral (I would consider HD280 to have neutral bass quantity, or close to it).

I don't know the dt660. The hd280 seemed like a well balanced can overall. Need some extension, but it sounded alright.

The k550 has just enough bass if you get a seal. Of course, i' ve heard complaints from people with smaller heads. The k550 has that k701 upper mid-low treble emphasis, only more so. Throwing a wrench into this is that i've heard two different pairs, that sounded quite different. One pair was tipped up there and slightly grating, the other hurt my ears outright.
post #221 of 320

Yeah, I think I have a bad pair as well, either that or I really don't get the fuss over these cans. I find them hard to listen to for some reason. Soundstage and imaging I think are the primary reasons, but that is always a problem will all but the best closed cans. I even tried the rubber band trick around the ear cushions to increase head distance and maintain a tight seal. Mine are destined for sale I think :(

post #222 of 320

Seriously? I actually rather enjoy the 280s, in my mind they are like one of the standards for midrange DJ cans, coming from what I have heard. I prefer them to the ATH M50s; I would have a pair myself if my budget wasn't so tight that I was saving up for just one all-rounder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


No it is not less than neutral by any stretch. Only if you cannot obtain a good seal which has been no issue for me. And if i were to compare it with the hd280 it would be like comparing a full sized luxury car with a smart car. The 280 is just a bad almost muffled sounding hp imo.
post #223 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Seriously? I actually rather enjoy the 280s, in my mind they are like one of the standards for midrange DJ cans, coming from what I have heard. I prefer them to the ATH M50s; I would have a pair myself if my budget wasn't so tight that I was saving up for just one all-rounder.

Have you tried the KRK8400?

P.S. Yes seriously. I do not like those heaphones. I tried them again just the other day and still don't care for them much at all.
Edited by Doc-holliday - 11/19/12 at 5:04pm
post #224 of 320

I am very interested in the 8400s after reading a few reviews; how would you compare bass quantity to the HD280 and K550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


Have you tried the KRK8400?
P.S. Yes seriously. I do not like those heaphones. I tried them again just the other day and still don't care for them much at all.
post #225 of 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

I am very interested in the 8400s after reading a few reviews; how would you compare bass quantity to the HD280 and K550?

I didn't get to use the KRK side by side with the K550 but I did with the 280 but I would have to guess the bass is a tad more than the 550 with the KRK. I liked the speed of the bass and thought it's attack and decay were just about right for my taste. Not too tight and certainly not loose more on the tighter side.

Listening next to the 280 as a reference, made it seem like I had cotton stuffed in my ears in comparison. The mid and hight detail was much better and more realistic with the KRK. They are resolving without sounding bright imo. In fact comparing them with some DT880's made the 880's sound hissy and sibilant yet the detail is there. The bass quantity I would say are similar but I would have to A/B them again to give you the answer to that. The KRK for sure responded better to adding bass with EQ.

In comparison to the 550 for general use, the KRK's certainly are easier to get that seal with with much smaller cups and are a bit more comfortable only due to better padding on the headband. I would really have to listen to them both side by side to give a good sound comparison of those two.
Edited by Doc-holliday - 11/20/12 at 9:26am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K550 Review.