Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K550 Review.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K550 Review. - Page 11

post #151 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriff0400 View Post

entry level mid fi then?lol.i am still a noob

I'm not trying to be nit-picky or anything, but both the performance and price of these cans are way beyond entry level. Not to mention its design. "Mid-fi" would also be a really inaccurate (lo-fi:D) expression to be used, since the tag  "Reference Headphones" on the side is not there solely for marketing purposes. I owned Sennheisers (namely HD202, HD212, HD497, HD555 and HD600) and although most of those cans are more fun, I find the K550 to be a more accurate one. Might I add cruelly accurate one... 

post #152 of 328

Well, got these again today. Surprised to find I don't like them anywhere near as much as I used to. Back in the box they go...

post #153 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

Well, got these again today. Surprised to find I don't like them anywhere near as much as I used to. Back in the box they go...

 

I'm surprised by this considering how much you favored them over the A900X in your review. What's the reason for this change and how would you rank the K550, A900X, and MA900's in order of preference now?

post #154 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5370H55V View Post

I'm surprised by this considering how much you favored them over the A900X in your review. What's the reason for this change and how would you rank the K550, A900X, and MA900's in order of preference now?

 

Yeah, I'll say. I'd still take the K550 over the A900X though.

 

MA900 by a long shot. No comparison there. Even against the HD598, MA900 takes top spot. Toss up with my PX100-II though.

 

Well, at first listen, the K550 sounded fine, yet a bit thin and unnatural. Frequency balance seemed pretty good, as it sounds relatively flat. After listening to my HD598/MA900/PX100-II, going back to the K550 was like going from the HD650 to the DT880. It was quite harsh. Suddenly, everything sounded so brash. Perhaps that spike in the treble everyone talked about? Not sure, it just didn't too good when compared to my other open headphones.

 

Still a pretty good closed headphone though.


Edited by Katun - 10/8/12 at 5:37pm
post #155 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3r1d3x View Post

I'm not trying to be nit-picky or anything, but both the performance and price of these cans are way beyond entry level. Not to mention its design. "Mid-fi" would also be a really inaccurate (lo-fi:D) expression to be used, since the tag  "Reference Headphones" on the side is not there solely for marketing purposes. I owned Sennheisers (namely HD202, HD212, HD497, HD555 and HD600) and although most of those cans are more fun, I find the K550 to be a more accurate one. Might I add cruelly accurate one... 

 

100% agree with the bolded statement.  It made me to double check my source and files to see if they were really poor quality or not.

post #156 of 328

I think these are one of my favorite looking headphones, I just love that brushed clean black look. Everything is proportionate and nothing stands out.

post #157 of 328

i  had my first encounter with a badly encoded song today which sounded great on my cheap IEM's so yup i agree with you,lol. almost unlistenable to me now so ill have to do conversion to 16bit from the vinyl again. 

post #158 of 328

I have the K550 and they are amazing! I have a question thoughindecision, my little dot III and Mstage are set to maximum gain to suit my HD650 but the K550 behaves just like the 650 with reference to the volume output, (I have the vol. at around 10 to 11' o clock on the amps for both!) being sensitive headphones shouldn't it be incredibly loud? and is it even "healthy" to run the 550 with high gain settings from the amps?

post #159 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala View Post

I have the K550 and they are amazing! I have a question thoughindecision, my little dot III and Mstage are set to maximum gain to suit my HD650 but the K550 behaves just like the 650 with reference to the volume output, (I have the vol. at around 10 to 11' o clock on the amps for both!) being sensitive headphones shouldn't it be incredibly loud? and is it even "healthy" to run the 550 with high gain settings from the amps?

I find the K550s do get more volume at lower setting on my Asgard's dial.  I listen to my HD650s at around 11 o'clock.  I listen to my K550 at around 10 o'clock...this is normal listening of course.  I do crank it up some times.  The difference isn't huge though.  

post #160 of 328
post #161 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post

Image of K551 (Click to show)

 

 

More info here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/621327/akg-k551-out-soon

post #162 of 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly21029 View Post

More info here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/621327/akg-k551-out-soon
thanks for the link
post #163 of 328

just new colors lol...i like my all blk

post #164 of 328

If they were able to use thinner foam, these would look extremely nice when worn. I'm not not a fan on in-line volume controls, though. I'm all for detachable cables!

post #165 of 328

Will these be good for gaming because of their soundstage? Also, will these be good for rock and metal?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K550 Review.