Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K550 Review.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K550 Review. - Page 10

post #136 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eargasmo View Post

By the way, I ABSOLUTELY agree about Rush Moving Pictures comment.  I have not heard Tom Sawyer sound so good.  The drums in Tom Sawyer through my K550s sound as good as anything I've heard from any headphones. In fact, I think earlier on this thread I mentioned Tom Sawyer through the K550s.  Based on your comments, it sounds like you are having almost the exact same experience as I.  Seems like you and I have very similar hearing.

 

That brings back some good memories - I think this was the song that inspired me to pick up the bass guitar. Geddy's voice is amazing (back then).

post #137 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman42 View Post

 

That brings back some good memories - I think this was the song that inspired me to pick up the bass guitar. Geddy's voice is amazing (back then).

And isn't this why we all are so passionate about audio-quality/music?  Music can be a transcendent experience devoid of time and place.  The weirdest thoughts/memories creep into my mind when I hear music sometimes.

 

But Tali, if you haven't listened to Moving Pictures through K550s, you have to.  It's about as good an album/headphone pairing as I've ever heard.

post #138 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eargasmo View Post

And isn't this why we all are so passionate about audio-quality/music?  Music can be a transcendent experience devoid of time and place.  The weirdest thoughts/memories creep into my mind when I hear music sometimes.

 

But Tali, if you haven't listened to Moving Pictures through K550s, you have to.  It's about as good an album/headphone pairing as I've ever heard.

 

Couldn't agree more. I've got the 2011 remaster of Moving Pictures that includes the 24-bit/96 kHz DVD Audio stereo version (also has 24-bit/96 kHz 5.1 version). I'll be enjoying that on the K550s in the next few days :-)

post #139 of 321

Although that may be good on the K550s. You also need to listen to the Eagles Hotel California on the K550's.  You will hear things you never heard before. It's like a magical orgasm.

post #140 of 321

hi,

 

I just switched to these cans from the m50s after an extensive search on what I'd like for headphones.  I just got them and it seems to me that the balance is off: sounds that are supposed to be in the center seem like the come from center right.  Sounds that come from the left seem like they're coming from the center left and sounds that come from the right seem louder.  I switched the headphones around and had the right cup to my left ear and tried playing the same things and the opposite effect is observed (right = left, left = center right and center = center left).  Is there something wrong with my earphones?

post #141 of 321

Possibly, but it could also be a fit issue. Experiment a little with the fit. 

post #142 of 321

they fit great actually, i tried this test several times with the same results. 
 

post #143 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai View Post

hi,

 

I just switched to these cans from the m50s after an extensive search on what I'd like for headphones.  I just got them and it seems to me that the balance is off: sounds that are supposed to be in the center seem like the come from center right.  Sounds that come from the left seem like they're coming from the center left and sounds that come from the right seem louder.  I switched the headphones around and had the right cup to my left ear and tried playing the same things and the opposite effect is observed (right = left, left = center right and center = center left).  Is there something wrong with my earphones?

You may want to rma for a new set.  B/C that doesn't happen for me.

 

Were you watching a movie?  Listening to a song?  can you specify which song/movie?  I will see if I am hearing same thing you are.  Because if not, could be an issue with your specific set.

post #144 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai View Post

hi,

I just switched to these cans from the m50s after an extensive search on what I'd like for headphones.  I just got them and it seems to me that the balance is off: sounds that are supposed to be in the center seem like the come from center right.  Sounds that come from the left seem like they're coming from the center left and sounds that come from the right seem louder.  I switched the headphones around and had the right cup to my left ear and tried playing the same things and the opposite effect is observed (right = left, left = center right and center = center left).  Is there something wrong with my earphones?

It could be your source as well. Since these phones are fairly sensitive, if you at listening to them at very low volumes, your source itself may be unbalanced. This happens to me when using porta pros with an old corda move amp at low volumes. The last thing I would try is to increase volume to see if that balances things out and/or use another source. If it doesn't I would return the phones.
post #145 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eargasmo View Post

You may want to rma for a new set.  B/C that doesn't happen for me.

 

Were you watching a movie?  Listening to a song?  can you specify which song/movie?  I will see if I am hearing same thing you are.  Because if not, could be an issue with your specific set.

 

I first noticed it while watching the latest episode of 2 Broke Girls,  The intro riff usually plays center, but it was off to the right.  I then checked out http://www.richardfarrar.com/are-your-speakers-wired-correctly/ to see if it's a balance thing.  That's where I did my tests and found that the center was playing in the center right.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk70007 View Post


It could be your source as well. Since these phones are fairly sensitive, if you at listening to them at very low volumes, your source itself may be unbalanced. This happens to me when using porta pros with an old corda move amp at low volumes. The last thing I would try is to increase volume to see if that balances things out and/or use another source. If it doesn't I would return the phones.

I tried it on my desktop, android phone and ipad.  The results are the same for all three devices.  That's a bummer that I have to return it; it's a pain to ship.

post #146 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai View Post

 

http://www.richardfarrar.com/are-your-speakers-wired-correctly/ to see if it's a balance thing.  

I listened to these samples with my K550 and I did not notice any imbalance. I tink you must have a faulty pair.

post #147 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai View Post

 

I first noticed it while watching the latest episode of 2 Broke Girls,  The intro riff usually plays center, but it was off to the right.  I then checked out http://www.richardfarrar.com/are-your-speakers-wired-correctly/ to see if it's a balance thing.  That's where I did my tests and found that the center was playing in the center right.

 

I tried it on my desktop, android phone and ipad.  The results are the same for all three devices.  That's a bummer that I have to return it; it's a pain to ship.

 

Just to add one more confirmation, I played the samples at http://www.richardfarrar.com/are-your-speakers-wired-correctly  and the Center one was centered.

post #148 of 321

i almost thought i had centering issues this morning on the bus but turns out i didnt seal it properly over my right ear,lol.so far im loving the k550 as my first entry level headphone

post #149 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGriff0400 View Post

i almost thought i had centering issues this morning on the bus but turns out i didnt seal it properly over my right ear,lol.so far im loving the k550 as my first entry level headphone

Entry level is a harsh understatement, IMHO.

post #150 of 321

entry level mid fi then?lol.i am still a noob

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K550 Review.