- 7 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 5/23/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/23/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/23/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/23/12
- productUltrasone PRO 2900tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 5/23/12
Related Forum Threads
- Complement to the HD800 and LCD-2? Last post on 2/10/12 at 6:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 1/4/2015: Beyerdynamic T70 Added) Last post on Today at 4:15 am in Video Games Discussion
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones for movies Last post on 11/20/12 at 3:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hopelessly lost in a sea of headphones - ***Another "help me choose" thread*** Last post on 9/23/12 at 7:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Couldn't find much on the internet about these, so I took the plunge. Pros: Nice aesthetics Solid build quality Cheaper than Bose equivalent, looks and feels nicer,...
I don't claim to be an expert audiophile. More of a wannabe. I do love finding under the radar headphones with good value. I can compare this to a few other bluetooth headsets I have spent some...
Brainwavz M1 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation back in the day for the sample. Full length old review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/499583/brainwavz-m1-review Brief: Old but...
I have own the Dunu tridents for about 4-5 months, and about a week about, the left ear suddenly stopped working. I left them on my desk for the weekend, no spills, or anything touching them. Now i...
Intro Here is a review of the Audio-Technica CKR10 there are a couple reviews of this model already but the more reviews the better. First I would like to say thank you to Audio-Technica for...
Ultrasone Pro 2900 - Mixing/Critical listening???post #1 of 115/15/12 at 9:41amThread StarterI'm new here so firstly wanna say hi...Great website you guys have got here, very informative.I have been producing jungle drum and bass for around 8 years and circumstances have recently pushed me into requiring headphones for mixing, almost in place of my monitors.(I am aware this is taboo)I have narrowed down my search using comparisons on this site and Gearslutz, to either grab the Pro 2900 or the sennheiser hd650/ Maybe the hd800 @ a push. I need a very high level of detail and bass needs to be tight, deep and defined at high volume. Obviously a close-to neutral headphone is very important but i can imagine headphones like the AKG k701 (which i have owned in the past...But may not have given a chance) could push me to add more bass than necessary whereas these phones could potentially, from what i have heard of the Pro 900, inspire the opposite.The bottom end of the frequency charts i have seen for the Pro-900 have pretty much ruled them out for me. Hopefully from what i have read here about the 2900, these phones may have calmed that bass slightly...Yes?I wonder if anyone here can give me a good insight as to whether they would totally flatter my music....Or are they relatively true to the source?Charlie.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 115/15/12 at 11:43am
The Pro2900 are very detailed yet bassheavy for open headphones and match up well for your demands. But there are even better headphones with extra price tag like Beyer Dynamic T1, LCD-02, Grado GS1000 and D7000, they need good AMPs to bring out there best.post #3 of 115/15/12 at 12:05pmThread StarterThanks for that...they are definitely becoming more and more appealing.Ideally i would like to keep fairly near the 2900 price range but i would definitely consider more if it is going to make the world of difference...I just get a feeling from what i have heard that they will be ideal having that slight bass cut from the 900's.If anyone else has suggestions or knowledge of these headphones and or Music production through headphones please share your thoughts.Charliepost #4 of 115/20/12 at 12:55pm
Hey Raw Science, I used to own the pro900 and now I own pro2900, Lcd-2 rev2, and rooth custom iems with 6 drivers. The pro2900 are more neutral than the pro900. Albeit being heavy and hard-hitting, the bass seems neutral and very tight. Bass response seems rather flat. The treble is slightly forward and the mids can sound thin if they aren't properly driven. Anyway, I'd recommend the pro2900 to someone who's mixing, as they are very detailed and revealing. The LCD-2 are slightly more detailed, but because they are more forgiving and less analytical, details and poor mastering aren't as apparent. The pro2900 has extremely good bass for a dynamic driver headphone, but the Lcd-2's bass sounds far more realistic. I doubt that's of importance in mixing/mastering. Lastly, I've also listened to the HD800 and think that they sound rather similar to the pro2900. I suggest you give the pro2900 a try and see from there.post #5 of 115/20/12 at 3:38pmThread Starterpost #6 of 115/23/12 at 5:58am
No problem, man. Anticipating your impressions!
You should post them on this forum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/577311/ultrasone-pro-2900-appreciation-thread/255#post_8357904
Also, have you ever considered getting custom iems? They are probably best type of headphone when it comes to mastering tracks.post #7 of 115/23/12 at 10:51am
For mixing/producing, I would also highly recommend looking into monitor emulation, either through software or hardware like a Focusrite VRMbox.post #8 of 115/23/12 at 3:16pmThread StarterThanks i will do...i was gonna ask the initial question in the Appreciation thread but decided against it haha!As for the Custom IEM's i was looking into that as you are right, for critical listening they are fantastic. the only problem i have with them is the volumes.. i would be deaf in no time!! With in-ear headphones i am forever cranking them right up to get that bass to fill my head, which is murder over a ten hour mixing session! I reckon i am going to go for the 2900's and hope for the best, not alot of shops seem to stock them in the UK so i'm gonna have to chance it without a demo and hope for the best. Thanks again for your help.@ Armaegis - I'm going to be replacing my dying interface when i get the headphones and the main contender is probably the saffire pro 24 dsp... i think that has the VRM built in so i will definitely look into that...I had assumed it would be a kind of novelty addition to the interface but the reviews seem pretty inspiring. Thanks.post #9 of 115/23/12 at 4:24pmpost #10 of 115/23/12 at 4:32pm
Well, the shure srh940,from what I heas is one of the most detailed cans that you can get. They have prestine highs and mids, and the bass is very tight. It sounds like exactly what you want. Oh btw it's pretty cheap compared to the cans you're looking at.post #11 of 115/25/12 at 3:11pmThread StarterThanks, yeah i had looked into the srh940 but i i've decided to go for the 2900's..Ordering them now.If anyone in the UK or europe is planning on getting a pair of 2900's...Thomann seems to be the cheapest place @ £311..Plus thomann gives a three year warranty on all their products and free shipping. :)Raw Science
- Ultrasone Pro 2900 - Mixing/Critical listening???
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015 -- It's Official! 23 seconds ago
- › Schiit Valhalla (rollable version) 29 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › VSonic VSD5 Impressions/Appreciation Thread. VSonic's answer to... 6 minutes ago
- › BMC Puredac 7 minutes ago
- › Chosing headphones for gaming (mostly CS:GO), plese help! 7 minutes ago
- › Soundsoul S-018 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › House of Marley - LEGEND ANC by White Lotus
- › Audio Technica S700BT by ironicinori
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by mark2410
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)