- 7 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 5/23/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/23/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/23/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/23/12
- productUltrasone PRO 2900tagged by System, 3/6/13
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 5/23/12
Related Forum Threads
- Complement to the HD800 and LCD-2? Last post on 2/10/12 at 6:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) Last post on Today at 1:07 am in Video Games Discussion
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones for movies Last post on 11/20/12 at 3:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hopelessly lost in a sea of headphones - ***Another "help me choose" thread*** Last post on 9/23/12 at 7:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion. The manufacturer...
Most people hate this headphone because of annoying treble spike and low mid treble but if just need to tweek EQ to see its potential.
overall great headphone at its price.
Disclaimer: The Meze 99 Classics were send to me as part of their European Tour. Impression are based on around a week of intensive usage. Preamble: First of all, welcome to another review here...
It's Zmall, it's Zpacious, it's ZuperDAC, from Zorloo - The Review Website: zorloo.com Product details and Specs: LINK MSRP: $74 To read more about the original project, you may...
Ultrasone Pro 2900 - Mixing/Critical listening???post #1 of 115/15/12 at 9:41amThread StarterI'm new here so firstly wanna say hi...Great website you guys have got here, very informative.I have been producing jungle drum and bass for around 8 years and circumstances have recently pushed me into requiring headphones for mixing, almost in place of my monitors.(I am aware this is taboo)I have narrowed down my search using comparisons on this site and Gearslutz, to either grab the Pro 2900 or the sennheiser hd650/ Maybe the hd800 @ a push. I need a very high level of detail and bass needs to be tight, deep and defined at high volume. Obviously a close-to neutral headphone is very important but i can imagine headphones like the AKG k701 (which i have owned in the past...But may not have given a chance) could push me to add more bass than necessary whereas these phones could potentially, from what i have heard of the Pro 900, inspire the opposite.The bottom end of the frequency charts i have seen for the Pro-900 have pretty much ruled them out for me. Hopefully from what i have read here about the 2900, these phones may have calmed that bass slightly...Yes?I wonder if anyone here can give me a good insight as to whether they would totally flatter my music....Or are they relatively true to the source?Charlie.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 115/15/12 at 11:43am
The Pro2900 are very detailed yet bassheavy for open headphones and match up well for your demands. But there are even better headphones with extra price tag like Beyer Dynamic T1, LCD-02, Grado GS1000 and D7000, they need good AMPs to bring out there best.post #3 of 115/15/12 at 12:05pmThread StarterThanks for that...they are definitely becoming more and more appealing.Ideally i would like to keep fairly near the 2900 price range but i would definitely consider more if it is going to make the world of difference...I just get a feeling from what i have heard that they will be ideal having that slight bass cut from the 900's.If anyone else has suggestions or knowledge of these headphones and or Music production through headphones please share your thoughts.Charliepost #4 of 115/20/12 at 12:55pm
Hey Raw Science, I used to own the pro900 and now I own pro2900, Lcd-2 rev2, and rooth custom iems with 6 drivers. The pro2900 are more neutral than the pro900. Albeit being heavy and hard-hitting, the bass seems neutral and very tight. Bass response seems rather flat. The treble is slightly forward and the mids can sound thin if they aren't properly driven. Anyway, I'd recommend the pro2900 to someone who's mixing, as they are very detailed and revealing. The LCD-2 are slightly more detailed, but because they are more forgiving and less analytical, details and poor mastering aren't as apparent. The pro2900 has extremely good bass for a dynamic driver headphone, but the Lcd-2's bass sounds far more realistic. I doubt that's of importance in mixing/mastering. Lastly, I've also listened to the HD800 and think that they sound rather similar to the pro2900. I suggest you give the pro2900 a try and see from there.post #5 of 115/20/12 at 3:38pmThread Starterpost #6 of 115/23/12 at 5:58am
No problem, man. Anticipating your impressions!
You should post them on this forum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/577311/ultrasone-pro-2900-appreciation-thread/255#post_8357904
Also, have you ever considered getting custom iems? They are probably best type of headphone when it comes to mastering tracks.post #7 of 115/23/12 at 10:51am
For mixing/producing, I would also highly recommend looking into monitor emulation, either through software or hardware like a Focusrite VRMbox.post #8 of 115/23/12 at 3:16pmThread StarterThanks i will do...i was gonna ask the initial question in the Appreciation thread but decided against it haha!As for the Custom IEM's i was looking into that as you are right, for critical listening they are fantastic. the only problem i have with them is the volumes.. i would be deaf in no time!! With in-ear headphones i am forever cranking them right up to get that bass to fill my head, which is murder over a ten hour mixing session! I reckon i am going to go for the 2900's and hope for the best, not alot of shops seem to stock them in the UK so i'm gonna have to chance it without a demo and hope for the best. Thanks again for your help.@ Armaegis - I'm going to be replacing my dying interface when i get the headphones and the main contender is probably the saffire pro 24 dsp... i think that has the VRM built in so i will definitely look into that...I had assumed it would be a kind of novelty addition to the interface but the reviews seem pretty inspiring. Thanks.post #9 of 115/23/12 at 4:24pmpost #10 of 115/23/12 at 4:32pm
Well, the shure srh940,from what I heas is one of the most detailed cans that you can get. They have prestine highs and mids, and the bass is very tight. It sounds like exactly what you want. Oh btw it's pretty cheap compared to the cans you're looking at.post #11 of 115/25/12 at 3:11pmThread StarterThanks, yeah i had looked into the srh940 but i i've decided to go for the 2900's..Ordering them now.If anyone in the UK or europe is planning on getting a pair of 2900's...Thomann seems to be the cheapest place @ £311..Plus thomann gives a three year warranty on all their products and free shipping. :)Raw Science
- Ultrasone Pro 2900 - Mixing/Critical listening???
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD... 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 2 minutes ago
- › Contribute your brilliant designs of the embossed sticker to FiiO... 5 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 7 minutes ago
- › The Impossible Dream: amp, powered speakers, and 1 volume knob 7 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 8 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 10 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 11 minutes ago
- › I Basso HDP R 10 is IBasso DX 100 Japan Version impressions thread 11 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla 2 - 230v 12 minutes ago
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by twister6
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › Dunu TITAN 3 by mark2410
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by moedawg140
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by Decommo
- › Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II (Carbon) by ryanjsoo
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse