Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions - Page 6

post #76 of 907
Wow. Both? I used to lust after the 71/b. it was only that the RX3 has been comin for the last 9 months that kept me holding off. Sure glad I did though.

My findings on the DX100 really do conflict with the love of the it from current owners.

Hopefully Room40's DX100 may sound a little better with some added burn in. He will be able to pass judgement on the RX3 too.

Wonder how safe his credit card will be feeling? rolleyes.gif
post #77 of 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwiser View Post

Both


For me the"Both" refers to the warmth the SR-71B applies to the music (again warmth to me is polite for slightly slow or muddy sounding).  I am sure to others this is a very acceptable sound and enjoyable but my preferences are elsewhere.  The DX100 is slightly warm itself and the warmth of the DX100 adds some musicality to the sound while not being nearly as warm as the 71B.

 

It really is the synergy of a setup that must fit the preferences of the listener...we can describe the issues we have with a particular sound as being muddy, slow, warm, harsh and all these would probably be exaggerations simply pointing out a slight direction of sound perception without being really negative in an absolute sense.  So a grain of salt is what I am asking for my opinions for what I am hearing...These are my thoughts and I ask no one else to agree.

 

BTW, my DX100 probably has almost 300 hours on it.


Edited by slwiser - 5/21/12 at 8:13am
post #78 of 907

Does anyone have any insight on how the j3 would sound with the mk3 and lcd2?

post #79 of 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by monotune View Post


I really want to echo the statements here. The MK3 is very 3D. No better way to put it. The treble extension slaughters the SR71-B. I find the Sr71-B a bit trashy in the high end. The MK3 smooth and silky which allows for longer listening sessions. I find the MK3 in the same family as the MK2 but it is a step up even without the bass knob on but there is no reason not to have that knob on a little bit!!!! smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monotune View Post


I really want to echo the statements here. The MK3 is very 3D. No better way to put it. The treble extension slaughters the SR71-B. I find the Sr71-B a bit trashy in the high end. The MK3 smooth and silky which allows for longer listening sessions. I find the MK3 in the same family as the MK2 but it is a step up even without the bass knob on but there is no reason not to have that knob on a little bit!!!! smily_headphones1.gif

Were you listening to SR-71B, using your headphones or IEMs, in balanced mode?

Have you truly used a high quality balanced CD player or balanced DAC as an input to the balanced jack of the SR-71B to find out what it can really do?

Have you ever tried the SR-71 B in balanced mode with HE-6, which is the hardest to drive Magnetic phones?

Please when you do that let us know.

post #80 of 907

Opps... RS is trying to do something on his products.

 

Bring it ON!

 

popcorn.gif

post #81 of 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoengJyh View Post

Opps... RS is trying to do something on his products.

 

Bring it ON!

 

popcorn.gif


Just remember there is no "right answer" for everyone.  Everyone is different and has different taste in music.  SR-71B has its place and the Mk3 will have to fine its place in the pantheon of equipment.

post #82 of 907

I pulled the trigger after all - let's see how the MK3 sounds. I wonder if it will drive the HD700 well.. Hmm...

post #83 of 907

I'm new to the whole balanced act.  I just purchased this cable but it only has the single ended adaptor.  Please advised me what adaptor I would need to use with MKIII.

 

IMG_0590.JPG

post #84 of 907

Whats the mk3's SE v 2stepdance's SE? I heard the stepdance trumps the sr71b in SE but can the mk3 beat the stepdance in SE? Anyone have impressions?

post #85 of 907

For headphone out, or line in?

post #86 of 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by funch View Post

For headphone out, or line in?

headphone out

post #87 of 907

I've had my MK3 for a few days and only had time to listen to my JH16 (balanced twag) from line out of HM801. I'm not sure if others commented on this yet but I can clearly hear hiss/hum with the amp on low gain and I hear channel imbalance at low volumes. To get past the imbalanced range I have to go to about 2:00 (with 12:00 being on/off) and it is already almost too loud for me. I will try it with my FitEar ToGo 334's once I get them back, and I will try it with some low impedance full sized cans later. 

 

My Protector out of my HM801 has a black background. I need more time with it before commenting on the sound compared to my Protector. For now, I'm liking what I'm hearing so far but the hum may be a deal breaker for me since I'll use this almost exclusively with IEMs - which it probably wasn't intended to do anyways. 

 

Anyone else hear this with their MK3? 

post #88 of 907

Hmm, this may be a deal breaker for me too.  Maybe, IEMs work best single-ended instead?

post #89 of 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by hop ham View Post

I've had my MK3 for a few days and only had time to listen to my JH16 (balanced twag) from line out of HM801. I'm not sure if others commented on this yet but I can clearly hear hiss/hum with the amp on low gain and I hear channel imbalance at low volumes. To get past the imbalanced range I have to go to about 2:00 (with 12:00 being on/off) and it is already almost too loud for me. I will try it with my FitEar ToGo 334's once I get them back, and I will try it with some low impedance full sized cans later. 

My Protector out of my HM801 has a black background. I need more time with it before commenting on the sound compared to my Protector. For now, I'm liking what I'm hearing so far but the hum may be a deal breaker for me since I'll use this almost exclusively with IEMs - which it probably wasn't intended to do anyways. 

Anyone else hear this with their MK3? 

I use my rx3 balanced with JH16 and I agree that there is channel imbalance at very low volumes. But for me it is not an issue as I always listen above this level. Even with the CLAS as the source.
post #90 of 907
Quote:
 I'm not sure if others commented on this yet but I can clearly hear hiss/hum with the amp on low gain and I hear channel imbalance at low volumes. To get past the imbalanced range I have to go to about 2:00 (with 12:00 being on/off) and it is already almost too loud for me.

 

I have the CLAS with RxMK3 and JH16 using the single ended output and I have the same issues. Channel imbalance and hiss at low volume. Maybe the JH16 are too sensitive forh the MK3? I had no problems with the MKII.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions