I got a "temporary" trade of the Rx Mk3-B for my Continental V3 and I am impressed. I noticed the mk3 expanding the soundstage further and the bass tightened a little bit. The only thing that irritates me is the channel imbalance. Full volume on Low gain is not enough for my Westone 4R unfortunately as I listen to music pretty loudly. Medium gain is ok but my listening level is to the point wherein a little turn of the volume down would give channel imbalance. Other than that I am enjoying this combination with my CLAS.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for "best" portable amp for Audeze LCD-2 Last post on 8/30/12 at 10:36pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 10/9/14 at 2:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Anyone using RE262 with a balanced portable amp ? Last post on 10/16/11 at 3:09pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iBasso DB-2, the Boomslang 2 with dual dacs and 24/196 input. 1st 10 sales to Japanese Tsunami... Last post on 9/1/14 at 12:01pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable Amp DT880's Last post on 4/28/11 at 2:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I have owned my Audeze LCD 3f for about one year and have enjoyed the headphone immensely. The one thing that bothered me about the LCD 3 was the fact that they just seem to always be slightly...
-- The RBH EP3 is a brand new model succeeding the EP1 & EP2. ~ All photos were taken by me, no stock pictures from the manufacturer were used ~ *Packaging* Simple Box, but...
In 2012 Burson Audio introduced the Musician Series of headphone amplifiers that brought significant technical enhancements to their popular classic HA-160 line. Acknowledging that even the best...
Audio Technica has a long history of making wood-cupped headphones, both in limited edition and production models. The W2002, their first famous limited edition model, is now a highly...
Being a proud yet protective grandpa I was very interested when Brainwavz offered to let me review a pair of sound level attenuated headphones for kids. I would love to pass on my...
ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions - Page 41post #601 of 10504/14/13 at 7:53pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #602 of 10504/17/13 at 12:08pm
ALO has been out of this amp for a little bit now. I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything in regards to lead time/changes/updates?
edit - just got an email from ALO saying the amp is back in stock. So a "never mind" is in order...
Edited by ButtUglyJeff - 4/17/13 at 12:49pmpost #603 of 10504/27/13 at 4:07pm
After having used my RXMKIII for several months, going between Etymotic ER4P/S and an Audez'e LCD-3 w/ a Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3, I recently received my Tralucent 1plus2s. All was great 'til I hooked the 1plus2s to the RXMKIII.
Long story short, with the gain all the way down, no source, single or double ended, there exists a hiss that the ALO produces that is unavoidable and is apparent over music that has quiet or low volume segments in it.
I wrote ALO Audio about this phenomenon, received the automatic standard disclaimer email stating that "they'll get to me when they get to me, etc;" 4 days ago and still no response.
Needless to say, I've moved on to a Ray Samuels SR71B, which Gavin at Tralucent used to test my balanced 1plus2s, which does not produce this noticeable hiss.
Your mileage may vary, but if you buy a really sensitive pair of IEMs, be warned that you may get almost unbearable hiss and non-existent or laisse faire 'support' from ALO on this, or other issues you may have.
Edited by sinkr - 4/27/13 at 4:09pmpost #604 of 10504/29/13 at 1:12pm
I would say the RX MK3-B has high noise floor than other portable amps due to its power. I have no problem to pair it with the SM64. However, the noise floor is high when I pair it with the Jh16, UE11. This can be solved by using the impedance adapter :)post #605 of 10504/30/13 at 1:49amI have no problem too with my sm64-v2. That maybe because sm64 has higher impedance that is 95ohm (the v1 is higher). With other iem the hiss is there no matter what. And shure 535le has it worst. My clas db with higher output will soon be arriving. From i ve been told..the hiss is even higher...that is a bad news.
And yeah...static noise + imbalance channel are all in too on mine. Sad. Otherwise it could be more to love.post #606 of 10504/30/13 at 8:38pmQuote:
I was able to see a similar effect w/ the ER4-P/S adaptor, reducing the hiss to an acceptable level, but I had my 1plus2s wired for the balanced connector and had no way of putting impedance in the path w/o hacking up the cable.
I solved my issue by getting a new SR71-B, and so far, so good and I can at least begin to break my Tralucents in.
In terms of power, the SR71-B drives my Audez'e LCD-3s just fine. One day I will sit down and do some serious A/B testing, but out of the gate, I'd say that there's not a power issue, but I understand that the LCD-3 while being harder to drive, isn't the hardest set of phones out there to drive.post #607 of 10504/30/13 at 8:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by muzic4life
I have no problem too with my sm64-v2. That maybe because sm64 has higher impedance that is 95ohm (the v1 is higher). With other iem the hiss is there no matter what. And shure 535le has it worst. My clas db with higher output will soon be arriving. From i ve been told..the hiss is even higher...that is a bad news.
And yeah...static noise + imbalance channel are all in too on mine. Sad. Otherwise it could be more to love.
The hiss I had coming from my RK-MK3B had nothing to do with the input source, so I'd say adding in the CLAS will not change that.
For instance, I could get the same hiss with the volume on just enough to power up the amp, no single ended or balanced input, and the Tralucent 1plus2s plugged in.
There was just no getting away from the hiss with these IEMs connected to the ALO.
Anyhow, life's too short to use an amp that puts out that much hiss at quite a premium for what it is, from a company that can't see fit to respond to its customers within a few days' time. (7 days now and counting...)
No thanks, for what this stuff costs, I expect much better service and will make no bones about airing that type of dirty laundry.
I just hope I can sell this thing now that the cat's kinda, somewhat outta the bag.post #608 of 10505/1/13 at 9:18pmI think i am agree with you. I just recieved my clas db (which claimed to be a newer version but i could not find any improvement in term of power output). Pairing my clas db with other amps i do not find any hiss. They just dead silence. But once i plugged my mk3...there you go the hiss. I did comparison too just to measure the hiss issue...the hiss i noticed from mk3 alone is slighty lesser versus when it paired with clas db..but anyway still too hissing for me. I always think this kind of problem should not be had considering the premium price. That is my biggest let down with rxmk3..and i decided to put it up for sale.post #609 of 10505/2/13 at 9:23amQuote:Originally Posted by muzic4life
I think i am agree with you. I just recieved my clas db (which claimed to be a newer version but i could not find any improvement in term of power output). Pairing my clas db with other amps i do not find any hiss. They just dead silence. But once i plugged my mk3...there you go the hiss. I did comparison too just to measure the hiss issue...the hiss i noticed from mk3 alone is slighty lesser versus when it paired with clas db..but anyway still too hissing for me. I always think this kind of problem should not be had considering the premium price. That is my biggest let down with rxmk3..and i decided to put it up for sale.
(beating a dead horse here)
I still have yet to get a response from them. Pretty pathetic support; So far so good w/ the SR71B, however.post #610 of 10505/2/13 at 9:20pmpost #611 of 10505/3/13 at 7:34amQuote:
What did you ask them, sinkr? May be I can help.post #612 of 10505/3/13 at 7:40am
I must say that's strange. ALO has always been responsive to me. I've never had any trouble with communication with them. I've even sent Viber messages to Ken and he gets back to me.post #613 of 10505/3/13 at 1:18pmpost #614 of 10505/5/13 at 1:28pmQuote:
On 4/23, I sent an email to info ALO audio <email@example.com>, which is the address listed at http://www.aloaudio.com/contact-us. Still no response, after the initial "we'll get to you when we get to you auto response."
Whatever--I could have pursued it further, but I went in a different direction; one email should have been enough.post #615 of 10505/18/13 at 6:14pmHi, probably it is a little off topic, but I really need everyone's advice. I'm looking for an amp exclusively for my Compact Monitors Stage 3 CIEM, which is only 18ohms. At 1st I've short listed to Pico Slim or RSA the Shadows, but the SR71-B really draw my attention as it seems like an one time upgrade for all. I've HD650 but my priority is my CIEM.
Now I'm worrying if the SR71-B is way too overkilled and the gain is way too high for sensitive IEMs even at the lowest gain, in balanced mode? I'm really tempted with the SR71-B, but very worried if it is just way too powerful for CIEMs, further more, I've been only seeing reviews which the amp is praised to heaven but with full size headphone, it is very hard to find someone talk about the amp with sensitive iem.
Really appreciate if some experience users of SR71-B can help out here. Thank you!
- ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... just now
- › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 1 minute ago
- › iPhone 6s Sound Quality 2 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 2 minutes ago
- › Aune X1S 32bit DSD DAC worldwide review tour ------reviewers... 2 minutes ago
- › Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations 2 minutes ago
- › Grado sr325e vs sr225e need help 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 280 pro appreciation thread 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-1000 by Blackrain
- › RBH EP-3 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Burson Audio Conductor Virtuoso DAC1 ESS9018 DAC and Headphone Preamp by iDesign
- › Audio-Technica ATH-W1000Z by Currawong
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by shockdoc
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by Arvan
- › Pro-Ject Audio Head Box S USB by dnun8086
- › JVC Full-Size Headphones - Model HA-RX700 Wired Headphones by audiophilefan
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by audiophilefan
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2