Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Suggest me a great music player with fantastic SQ and good battery life.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suggest me a great music player with fantastic SQ and good battery life. - Page 2

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostid View Post

In a nut shell, rockbox replaces the stock ipod firmware to play music in almost any format (mp3, flac, etc) and toss out the annoying iTune. It renders the ipod basically a portable hard drive so you can drag and drop to load your music files and/or non-music files. There are more with the rockbox (e.g. EQ's).

 

It's my understanding there is no officially stable version of RB for the ipod classic's.

 

 

 

ok thanks. i dont use the eq settings on my ipod anyway, if i want to use it, ill use it on my amp but i usually dont even touch that, just setting it on flat. and about the formats, that will be nice because i always have to convert my flac files to apple lossless. and how about higher bitrates and higher sampling rates? i have like 5 songs that are in 24 bit 96 kHz and my ipod wont support that, will rockbox make my ipod capable of holding these 5 songs?

post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post

 

 

 

ok thanks. i dont use the eq settings on my ipod anyway, if i want to use it, ill use it on my amp but i usually dont even touch that, just setting it on flat. and about the formats, that will be nice because i always have to convert my flac files to apple lossless. and how about higher bitrates and higher sampling rates? i have like 5 songs that are in 24 bit 96 kHz and my ipod wont support that, will rockbox make my ipod capable of holding these 5 songs?

 

Yes the rockbox plays 24bit/96 kHz. Rockbox rocks! wink_face.gif

post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostid View Post

 

Yes the rockbox plays 24bit/96 kHz. Rockbox rocks! wink_face.gif

It plays it but I am pretty sure it downsamples it to play it.

post #19 of 23
Indeed, rockbox resamples everything to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz, with an admittedly bad resampler, though there's ongoing work to replace it with a better one (Hermite resampler from the Helix community).
Edited by skamp - 5/14/12 at 10:39am
post #20 of 23

Hmm I didn't know the rockbox is cheating. Well at least it still plays the 24/96 and better than freezing the dap like the J3 does.

post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post

Indeed, rockbox resamples everything to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz, with an admittedly bad resampler, though there's ongoing work to replace it with a better one (Hermite resampler from the Helix community).

No SSRC, or at least SRC libsamplerate? That's a shame.
post #22 of 23
They have to think of battery life. Also, I don't know if any of those have been ported to ARM. And SSRC is pretty slow even on a Core i7.
post #23 of 23
Apologies in advance for the thread necromancy, but do you know whatever became of that resampler replacement?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Suggest me a great music player with fantastic SQ and good battery life.