Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › VentureCraft Go-DAP DAC/Amp /Series: Go-DAP X (13th May 2012) and Go-DAP TT (21st May 2013)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VentureCraft Go-DAP DAC/Amp /Series: Go-DAP X (13th May 2012) and Go-DAP TT (21st May 2013) - Page 14

post #196 of 500
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Checking in here. I have toads' unit and will post impressions soon. About aftermarket usb cables, I've gone through many, and I find minimal to zero difference in sound, and only offers ergonomic and aesthetic improvements.

 

I don't think I'll draw comparisons with the DX100 and CLAS+SR71B because it's been too long of a time since I've had them in my possession. I'll make quick comparisons between this and the ODAC/O2 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toads View Post

I've got a black version here in the PNW for audition courtesy Dimitri of MA.....a couple of local Vancouver members are going to give it a listen for a couple of weeks then it'll be ready to move on...
Post here and/or PM if intersted...
IMHO, comparing to those setups would be rather unfair. Even if the X were to have its OpAmp upgraded to the OPA1612, AD8397, etc, it wouldn't be fair but at least closer. However listen & determine the X is placed with respect to those setups from a price/performance perspective may be more palatable.

For me, a direct comparison against the HP-P1 or Apex Glacier would be more fair.

Just my 2 yen worth.
post #197 of 500

Well, I agree with you, but sometimes I like to put things into perspective for people, and remind them occasionally to keep the pricing in mind.

 

I really want to try an Apex Glacier at the moment as well... It might be my next DAC/Amp but it already suffers a huge disadvantage from the Go Dap because of its being unable to function with an iDevice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post


IMHO, comparing to those setups would be rather unfair. Even if the X were to have its OpAmp upgraded to the OPA1612, AD8397, etc, it wouldn't be fair but at least closer. However listen & determine the X is placed with respect to those setups from a price/performance perspective may be more palatable.
For me, a direct comparison against the HP-P1 or Apex Glacier would be more fair.
Just my 2 yen worth.
post #198 of 500

Okay, so I'm quoting shotgunshane's post, and not snipping, because his impression lines up with mine almost 100%.

 

I found the O2/ODAC to be more detailed, with better resolution, clarity, transparency, and wider soundstage thanks to the O2 (though not necessarily a good thing in a lot of the cases). However, I found the GDX to be much more lush in the mids, especially female vocals. One thing to note is, ODAC/O2 is connected to my computer, while the X is connected through my iPhone 5, although for linearity's sake, I'm using the same 24/48 Apple Lossless files in iTunes as in my iPhone. Also, it had better center focus, which makes vocals more appealing. What's weird was, on some recordings, the sound would be extremely veiled, yet on other recordings, it wouldn't be as large of an impact... However, the majority of the songs I listened to did not exhibit this behavior. This is very much like the HD800 where the sound would completely change occasionally with some recordings. 

 

I think the X is not subpar in comparison to other gear in its price range, especially for the fact that it's an iDevice compatible DAC/Amp combo with a slim form factor which gives it the upper hand in ergonomics/aesthetics and ease of use to the Apex Glacier and Fostex HP-P1 respectively. However, it is one of those gears that are specially reserved for a special group of people, in this case those who prefer lush mids, who cares not for treble extension, or with cans that can somewhat balance out the sound... My ES5 did not pair too well with the X due to its already lush mids, slightly recessed upper treble, and less sub bass extension.

 

If you get past the lack in treble shimmer, one can really listen to the X for hours at a time if battery allows; there's absolutely no fatigue at all. I actually appreciate its completely smooth sound in some recordings, and dare I say it may even be slightly 'seductive.' I've been listening to it almost straight for around three hours now, and the sound really grows on you. At first, I did not like it at all, but I've now grown to the sound. I will report back in a week's time if anything's changed.

 

One thing that I disagreed with shotgunshane was that I'd rather have the X's battery last longer than keep my iPhone constantly charging and have the X reduce in headtime. Sometimes I'd appreciate the charging, but if it was an option that was able to be switched on or off, that'd be incredible, because most of the time I'm around a usb port (my macbook) where charging is accessible. However, I can definitely see this as a very useful option because the iPhone's battery drains so quickly, especially with an external DAC that sucks extra power. Ironic because I complained that this should be a feature of the CLAS (when I had it long ago) due to its draining my iPhone's battery as if it was drinking water.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Venturecraft Go-Dap X impressions:

 

The X is very nice size that matches up with the iPhone 5 just about perfectly.  Controls are somewhat counter intuitive, especially activating the bass boost.  It requires holding the battery button down until the switch on the front blinks, then flipping said switch down and back up - to deactivate bass boost, follow the same process.  The best feature is the auto charging of the iDevice.  The convenience and importance of this should not be overlooked when considering an all-in-one amp/DAC device for traveling, especially for an iPhone.  It’s so convenient to listen with the X for several hours and have your phone still fully charged when you’re finished!

 

The X I used is the black version with the Burr Brown OPA2134.  I find the description from VentureCraft, to another head-fier (earlier in this thread), of the black X to be pretty accurate: “focuses on and enriches mid and high pitch really well…”.  Basically I find the black X to have a midrange focus with a bit of an upper mid/lower treble edge; bass is slightly less impactful.  This makes for an engaging or musical presentation. Those observations were made versus the stock iPhone 5 with the GR07 mk2 and TG334.  With the GR07, these changes are less apparent than with the TG334.

 

I also compared the X to my Leckerton UHA-6s (OPA209) both via computer and with iPod/iPhone.  The computer connection was using both their DACs and amps, whereas with the iPod/iPhone, I was using the Leckerton as an amp only (so not exactly an apples to apples comparison but worth noting none-the-less).

 

From the computer, with the TG334, the differences were quite obvious.  The X is much more upfront and upper mid/lower treble focused.  The overall presentation is brighter, closer, musical and aggressive.  The X midrange is definitely the focus.  The UHA-6s is more transparent, articulate and spacious.  The Leckerton’s bass had more slam and better definition, as well as cymbals rendered more articulate, even if not as bright as the X.  These observations still hold true with the iPod/iPhone but to a lesser extent, since the Leckerton was using the Apple DAC.

 

I prefer the Leckerton to the X, as I am more focussed on detail resolution and transparency and I find the UHA-6s to do this in spades.  Its amp and DAC section are simply excellent IMO but if I did not already own the UHA-6s, I would be perfectly happy with the VentureCraft.  It’s simply fun and engaging.  It definitely gets the head bobbing and the small form factor combined with the charging feature is something I definitely desire; it will be hard to give that particular feature up!


Edited by Girls Generation - 12/18/12 at 1:12am
post #199 of 500

Ok, I'm in the US and I am about to order the Go-DAP X from Venturecrafts website. I have looked at all the other options and feel this is best for me. I am wanting a portable amp/dac that will work with my iPhone 5. I always have it with me and do not want to carry multiple DAPs around. Also I listen to alot of Spotify and Pandora. So before I pull the trigger I am looking for advice and any input.

 

First of all, is ordering directly from Venturecraft the best way to go for a US buyer? They have the best price.

 

Second, where can I get a lightning to USB short cable or L cable?

 

Next, will the Go-DAP be able to decide Spotify and/or Pandora?

 

Finally, I am guessing the V-Moda Verza is going to be this model with some additions from their end. Any reason to wait on that seeing it will probably be more expensive. I do use my V-Moda M100s alot.

 

Thanks in advance and any other comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

post #200 of 500

My recommendation:

 

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=102

 

You can probably ask DHC if they can do an L for you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

Second, where can I get a lightning to USB short cable or L cable?

 

post #201 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

Ok, I'm in the US and I am about to order the Go-DAP X from Venturecrafts website. I have looked at all the other options and feel this is best for me. I am wanting a portable amp/dac that will work with my iPhone 5. I always have it with me and do not want to carry multiple DAPs around. Also I listen to alot of Spotify and Pandora. So before I pull the trigger I am looking for advice and any input.

 

First of all, is ordering directly from Venturecraft the best way to go for a US buyer? They have the best price.

 

Second, where can I get a lightning to USB short cable or L cable?

 

Next, will the Go-DAP be able to decide Spotify and/or Pandora?

 

Finally, I am guessing the V-Moda Verza is going to be this model with some additions from their end. Any reason to wait on that seeing it will probably be more expensive. I do use my V-Moda M100s alot.

 

Thanks in advance and any other comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

 

Musica Acoustics which is selling either the (click>) red or black unit for $449. I've bought from them before and find Musica to be very customer oriented by answering emails and shipping promptly.

 

I've tried the G~D~Bk and like it quite a lot as both a portable and a USB DAC. Yes, it will handle Spotify or Pandora. There is an instructional video on youtube showing how to take a lightening adaptor (from Apple) connecting it to a 30 pin cable to USB cable, then with a piece of heat shrink (using a hair dryer) to hold it in place. It actually looks quite stable when done.

post #202 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

 

Musica Acoustics which is selling either the (click>) red or black unit for $449. I've bought from them before and find Musica to be very customer oriented by answering emails and shipping promptly.

 

I've tried the G~D~Bk and like it quite a lot as both a portable and a USB DAC. Yes, it will handle Spotify or Pandora. There is an instructional video on youtube showing how to take a lightening adaptor (from Apple) connecting it to a 30 pin cable to USB cable, then with a piece of heat shrink (using a hair dryer) to hold it in place. It actually looks quite stable when done

 

Not sure I would want that. That would throw the lightning adapter's DAC into the equation wouldn't it?

post #203 of 500

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

 

Musica Acoustics which is selling either the (click>) red or black unit for $449. I've bought from them before and find Musica to be very customer oriented by answering emails and shipping promptly.

 

I've tried the G~D~Bk and like it quite a lot as both a portable and a USB DAC. Yes, it will handle Spotify or Pandora. There is an instructional video on youtube showing how to take a lightening adaptor (from Apple) connecting it to a 30 pin cable to USB cable, then with a piece of heat shrink (using a hair dryer) to hold it in place. It actually looks quite stable when done

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

Not sure I would want that. That would throw the lightning adapter's DAC into the equation wouldn't it?

 

It's this one which does not have a DAC chip in it. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter?fnode=45

post #204 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

 

Musica Acoustics which is selling either the (click>) red or black unit for $449. I've bought from them before and find Musica to be very customer oriented by answering emails and shipping promptly.

 

I've tried the G~D~Bk and like it quite a lot as both a portable and a USB DAC. Yes, it will handle Spotify or Pandora. There is an instructional video on youtube showing how to take a lightening adaptor (from Apple) connecting it to a 30 pin cable to USB cable, then with a piece of heat shrink (using a hair dryer) to hold it in place. It actually looks quite stable when done

 

 

It's this one which does not have a DAC chip in it. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD820ZM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter?fnode=45

Ahhh, thanks. That would be perfect.

post #205 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

Second, where can I get a lightning to USB short cable or L cable?

 

 

VentureCraft also sell their mod USB to lightning (picture below). They used micro usb to lightning adaptor from apple, so it's very compact.

 

 

IMG_0619.JPG

post #206 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthefirst View Post

 

VentureCraft also sell their mod USB to lightning (picture below). They used micro usb to lightning adaptor from apple, so it's very compact.

 

 

IMG_0619.JPG

I like that too. I'm guessing though I can do it pretty easily since the L cable comes with the X and I would just need to add the Apple adapter and some heat shrink. 

 

One more question, will this also charge the iDevice in this configuration? Thanks.

post #207 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

I like that too. I'm guessing though I can do it pretty easily since the L cable comes with the X and I would just need to add the Apple adapter and some heat shrink. 

 

One more question, will this also charge the iDevice in this configuration? Thanks.

 

I don't know what L cable VentureCraft will provide you but, when I bought my X, it come with USB to 30 pin. The apple lightning adaptor for that configuration will be 3-4 times larger than lightning to micro usb adaptor.

 

This setup work perfectly as advertise. It will charge your iphone when you want it.

post #208 of 500

Hey mtthefirst where about on VentureCrafts website do I find their usb to lightning lead. I cannot find it.

post #209 of 500
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebop7 View Post

Hey mtthefirst where about on VentureCrafts website do I find their usb to lightning lead. I cannot find it.

Drop them a mail & ask them about it.
post #210 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Drop them a mail & ask them about it.

I just bought from Venturacraft USB to lightning

http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/003082000015/price/

http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20121208/13/e-earphone/0e/79/j/o0570037912320959723.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › VentureCraft Go-DAP DAC/Amp /Series: Go-DAP X (13th May 2012) and Go-DAP TT (21st May 2013)