Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 65

post #961 of 2278

Donald just wrote me to say that the Stratus he built for me is up and running and sounds great. I should be overjoyed, but i actually have mixed emotions.  

 

Last night I listened to my two existing headamps, an early generation of the SinglePower MPX-3 and a custom Blue Circle SBH.  I have had both for some time.  Why on earth did I want a new headamp, I kept asking myself?

 

I guess I will have to find out, because I'm not going back over the Rubicon, and I've never made a bad amp choice before.  I've bought and sold a few pieces of equipment in my short audio lifetime and it's always been onward and upwards. 

 

I've received a lot of good information on this thread about the Stratus.  I'll try to put it to good use!

 

Thanks.

post #962 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post

Last night I listened to my two existing headamps, an early generation of the SinglePower MPX-3 and a custom Blue Circle SBH.  I have had both for some time.  Why on earth did I want a new headamp, I kept asking myself?

 

Because neither are DHT and you wanted to hear what all the fuss was about?  It's an experience many want but pull back from in part because of the glass costs.

post #963 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post

 

I guess I will have to find out, because I'm not going back over the Rubicon, and I've never made a bad amp choice before.  I've bought and sold a few pieces of equipment in my short audio lifetime and it's always been onward and upwards. 

 

Great historical reference!

 

Perhaps it will be the Caesar of amps for you...wink.gif

post #964 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post

Donald just wrote me to say that the Stratus he built for me is up and running and sounds great. I should be overjoyed, but i actually have mixed emotions.  

 

Last night I listened to my two existing headamps, an early generation of the SinglePower MPX-3 and a custom Blue Circle SBH.  I have had both for some time.  Why on earth did I want a new headamp, I kept asking myself?

 

I guess I will have to find out, because I'm not going back over the Rubicon, and I've never made a bad amp choice before.  I've bought and sold a few pieces of equipment in my short audio lifetime and it's always been onward and upwards. 

 

I've received a lot of good information on this thread about the Stratus.  I'll try to put it to good use!

 

Thanks.


If you want to postpone receipt of the Stratus until this fall when mine will be built, I'll be glad to trade places in line with you biggrin.gif!

post #965 of 2278
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post

Donald just wrote me to say that the Stratus he built for me is up and running and sounds great. I should be overjoyed, but i actually have mixed emotions.  

 

Last night I listened to my two existing headamps, an early generation of the SinglePower MPX-3 and a custom Blue Circle SBH.  I have had both for some time.  Why on earth did I want a new headamp, I kept asking myself?

 

I guess I will have to find out, because I'm not going back over the Rubicon, and I've never made a bad amp choice before.  I've bought and sold a few pieces of equipment in my short audio lifetime and it's always been onward and upwards. 

 

I've received a lot of good information on this thread about the Stratus.  I'll try to put it to good use!

 

Thanks.

 

Hi. That's a very adaptive approach. Then if it's only a tiny bit better, it will seem like a BIG improvement. Wise. 

 

I really don't think you will be disappointed. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much difference the Stratus makes, even stock. 

 

My reference amp is a Rudistor quad-mono RP010B. It has outstanding sound quality. I can enjoy listening to music with it using my T1.

But, with the HD800, it has to be the re-tubed Stratus. Hands down.

 

You've been participating in this thread since the very beginning. You feel like an old friend by now. I truly look forward to hearing your comments on your new Stratus.

 

CONGRATULATIONS in advance!

post #966 of 2278

Yes -- congrats.  And there is truly something unique about the DHT sound that you cannot get with any other kind of amp...

post #967 of 2278

Looks like I will finally join the club as well.  Exchanged emails with Donald on deposit. September is the potential date for my Stratus shipping out.

 

Probably will have to move the Sonett, which I currently use in my bedside rig on IEMs. Do you all think the Shures 535 will play nice with the Stratus? Are there some IEMs that would be better suited for this amp than others? Thanks!


Edited by Cante Ista - 7/4/13 at 5:29am
post #968 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

Looks like I will finally join the club as well.  Exchanged emails with Donald on deposit. September is the potential date for my Stratus shipping out.

 

Probably will have to move the Sonett, which I currently use in my bedside rig on IEMs. Do you all think the Shures 535 will play nice with the Stratus? Are there some IEMs that would be better suited for this amp than others? Thanks!

grats! 

post #969 of 2278

Just reread this entire thread! I think I did make a wise choice going with the Stratus. Now the wait.... And learning more about tubes. I am new to the tube thing. Even tough i have the Sonett and upgraded the tubes, I have never really explored the subject a lot. From reading the thread, it looks like there are many many choices for all kind of prices. I think it will be a fun journey.

post #970 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

Just reread this entire thread! I think I did make a wise choice going with the Stratus. Now the wait.... And learning more about tubes. I am new to the tube thing. Even tough i have the Sonett and upgraded the tubes, I have never really explored the subject a lot. From reading the thread, it looks like there are many many choices for all kind of prices. I think it will be a fun journey.

 

You sure did, congrats! 

post #971 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

Just reread this entire thread! I think I did make a wise choice going with the Stratus. Now the wait.... And learning more about tubes. I am new to the tube thing. Even tough i have the Sonett and upgraded the tubes, I have never really explored the subject a lot. From reading the thread, it looks like there are many many choices for all kind of prices. I think it will be a fun journey.

 

I think I've reread the whole thread at least a couple of times. It's a great reference.

 

Please do share your impressions when you get your Stratus and later on when you try different tubes. It really is shocking the difference a change of tube can make to the sound. Even more shocking is the price a used pair of old stock tubes go for.eek.gif

post #972 of 2278
That is way out of my league for a while. In fact I think that it is insane some Tube prices seem out of control. I think u can can get awesome tubes for half that. Still, I am curious to know what those sound like
post #973 of 2278
The Arcturus 2A3s are fun-sounding on the Stratus, especially with the HD800 and modern pop and rock music. Ironic because they were made in the 1930s. Very nice detailed bass and mid performance with a top end that rolls off just right for contemporary music. They sound like a dark version of the classic RCA monoplates.

But honestly, if they were new production tubes, I'd buy them in the $200-300 range, close to the Sophia's top-of-the-line. Quality is comparable.
Edited by drheadphone - 7/7/13 at 7:06pm
post #974 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by drheadphone View Post

The Arcturus 2A3s are fun-sounding on the Stratus, especially with the HD800 and modern pop and rock music. Ironic because they were made in the 1930s. Very nice detailed bass and mid performance with a top end that rolls off just right for contemporary music. They sound like a dark version of the classic RCA monoplates.

But honestly, if they were new production tubes, I'd buy them in the $200-300 range, close to the Sophia's top-of-the-line. Quality is comparable.

sigh..... If I recall the Sophias get mixed reviews. I guess I will just have to try myself -- I found that I disagree (read that hear differently or value different things, etc) than others. I will probably get all bunch of tubes, but don't think I am gonna spend more than 500 USD for a while.

post #975 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

sigh..... If I recall the Sophias get mixed reviews. I guess I will just have to try myself -- I found that I disagree (read that hear differently or value different things, etc) than others. I will probably get all bunch of tubes, but don't think I am gonna spend more than 500 USD for a while.

 

I really like the Sophia's with my HD800, I'm looking forward to trying EML's and other 2A3's at the LA meet in a few weeks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions