Double plate construction, 2 45 plates welded together, like the RCA double plates, unlike the Cunningham single plate.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State Vet Wants To Try Tubes For The HD 800 and T1!! Last post on 4/8/12 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Grado Rs1i(probably hd650 or hd800 or LCD2 in the future) Last post on 12/8/10 at 6:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Thank-you to Pandora of Brainwavz for supplying the Omega for review. Brainwavz has been around for a while now and this isn't my first encounter with one of their products. In 2011 I...
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
I have owned the Darkvoice 336SE for a while now, and consider myself a discerning listener/audiophile. My listening setup consists of two KRK RP-5 studio reference monitors, and a KRK RP-10S, and...
Preamble: At HiFime, all started with the production of the Tripath TK2050 speaker amplification chip. Nowadays they are mostly known for their portable DACs that use valuable...
I've only been in this game since January but have bought a new IEM every month (at pay day obviously). Nothing yet has come close to being my go-to IEM. (I should note...I bought the Titans for...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 62post #916 of 28475/26/13 at 11:10pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #917 of 28475/30/13 at 10:55am
So. S/N 20 (!!!) chiming in here. Totally a long time lurker of this thread (among others), but let me say that I am so wholly blown away by this amplifier! I'm currently running stock, but as I told Donald, I'm hard-pressed to think of improving upon his choice of tubes. I might be new to the super high-end Head-Fi, but this is one heck of an amplifier to get started on. My last amp was the Schiit Valhalla. Blew it completely out of the water. I wrote this to Donald, but let me just copy and paste my first impression onto here:
"Before, on my HD800's, it felt like the singer was there with the Valhalla, and all was right with the world. When I got the Stratus THE WHOLE BAND started playing for me. Yes, I could pick out certain instruments in the background with the Valhalla, and yes, they were pleasant. But this... THIS amplifier, [ladies and gentlemen,] is the conductor. It facilitates the experience of music. EVERY PART of the music. Combined with the HD800's, there exists nothing that escapes the combination. It's so EFFORTLESS. You really just sit back, relax, turn on ANYTHING, and lay back and listen. I'm listening to songs I've heard many, many times, each one now a new experience. It EFFUSES beauty; the real artistic vision flowing over and through your hands, like a river of sound. Several times now I've had to just stop. Go inside and just EXPERIENCE this music. All made possible with [Donald's] amp. The music comes through so sweet, impactful, and well-contoured. THIS is SUCH a sexy amp! :D"
Just my two cents. :D
Edited by neoresin - 5/30/13 at 10:56ampost #918 of 28475/30/13 at 12:17pmpost #919 of 28475/30/13 at 4:44pm
Thanks, Golfnutz! I even took some sweet pics! Attached!
I wanted to give back what I saw earlier on in the thread. :) Enjoy! Thank you guys for being awesome in your discussions!post #920 of 28475/31/13 at 7:23ampost #921 of 28475/31/13 at 2:46pmpost #922 of 28475/31/13 at 2:56pmQuote:
Yeah!!! I'm listening to Ola Gjello's Stone Rose as I type this with my HD800's and Stratus running Sophia Princess 2A3's and a EML 5U4G rectifier. I can recommend this setup wholeheartedly! Oh, and this is Stratus #19 here. :-) Congratulations on a great amp! And, of course in the spirit of Head-Fi, "Sorry about your wallet"...
Stevepost #923 of 28475/31/13 at 4:16pmIt's been a while since I've plugged in the Sophia Princesses.
At the moment listening to Handel's Messiah dir. Harry Christophers. HD800 and Tubes: Sylvania grey S-plate 2A3, Raytheon 5U4G, 6N1P-EV black plates. Nice upfront and intimate vocals with this combination.post #924 of 28476/1/13 at 6:40am
Thanks, guys!! My wallet hurts for the moment, but I'm sure it'll heal. ;)
Tubes. Yes! I was going to ask Donald about his experiences with several additional tubes. Apparently the EML's are very popular, both for the rectifier and the 2A3's, but looking around this thread, there's a lot of support for Sophias, among several others. He recommended steering clear of the Electro-Harmonix and the Sovteks, because of the "grey, lean, and a bit hard" sound that they produce. I saw someone post about the JJ 2A3-40's. They're touted as being pretty beastly, but I was wondering if they would be ranked among the better ones. ... How long are the tubes supposed to last in the Stratus? Maybe I'll just wait until they go to replace them with upgrades. ... Or maybe not. :D
Anyway, lots of fun to be had! :D It's sweltering hot here on the East Coast (yesterday it was upwards of 90 F!), but I'm still listening to my rig without fan and without A/C. XD Yes, this amp is worth listening to even in these conditions. w00t!post #925 of 28476/1/13 at 8:24ampost #926 of 28476/1/13 at 9:43amQuote:Originally Posted by neoresin
Thanks, guys!! My wallet hurts for the moment, but I'm sure it'll heal.
Tubes. Yes! I was going to ask Donald about his experiences with several additional tubes. Apparently the EML's are very popular, both for the rectifier and the 2A3's, but looking around this thread, there's a lot of support for Sophias, among several others. He recommended steering clear of the Electro-Harmonix and the Sovteks, because of the "grey, lean, and a bit hard" sound that they produce. I saw someone post about the JJ 2A3-40's. They're touted as being pretty beastly, but I was wondering if they would be ranked among the better ones. ... How long are the tubes supposed to last in the Stratus? Maybe I'll just wait until they go to replace them with upgrades. ... Or maybe not.
Anyway, lots of fun to be had! It's sweltering hot here on the East Coast (yesterday it was upwards of 90 F!), but I'm still listening to my rig without fan and without A/C. XD Yes, this amp is worth listening to even in these conditions. w00t!
You'd have to run the JJ's specs by Donald. I believe the JJ's, like the AVVT and KR Audio 2A3's are "Single-valve/plate type with significantly different construction to the original RCA 2A3-A. Typically these valves (due to higher HT tolerances) also have substantially higher plate wattages which can be listed (e.g. the KR 2A3 would be described as the 2A3-S30)."
Edited by drheadphone - 6/1/13 at 9:44ampost #927 of 28476/1/13 at 11:30am
In my newfound hobby of trying different tubes in the Stratus, I purchased a pair tubes on eBay and only after hitting the buy it now button did I look carefully at the picture (lesson learned) to see the bases were marked SYLVANIA and then beneath that "Made in Germany" and contained in a Hytron box.I'm curious to know if anyone has any knowledge of Sylvania 2a3s that were made in Germany? I wonder if I made a mistake or got lucky. I can't find any info about ANY german made 2a3s.post #928 of 28476/1/13 at 11:33ampost #929 of 28476/1/13 at 7:35pmHope they're real, Bigsecret! The Sylvania's should sound light with strong, forward presence in the mids and treble. Bass is a bit lean. Basically opposite from stock tubes.
Haven't done this in a while... An update to my completely subjective matching game of 2A3 tubes I've heard and headphones I own:
HD800 - Sylvania Dual-Flat Plates, Sylvania Gray Bi/S-Plates, Arcturus Monoplate, Sophia Princess Meshplate, RCA Monoplate
HD650 - Sylvania (any), RCA monoplate, Arcturus Monoplate, Tung Sol Monoplate, Sophia Princess Mesh, RCA Bi/S-Plate (Black or Gray)
LCD2.1 - RCA monoplate, EML Mesh, Svetlana 2C4C, Sylvania Black Bi/S-Plate or Dual Flat-Plate
LCD3 - EML Mesh, Svetlana 2C4C
HE500 - Ken Rad Dual Flat-Plate, EML Mesh, Svetlana 2C4C, Any tube
AH-D7000 - Ken Rad Dual Flat-Plate, Any tube except 2C4C
W3000ANV - RCA monoplate, Sylvania (any)
Wishlist: EML Solidplate 2A3, Shuguang Nature Sound 2A3C-T
Edited by drheadphone - 6/3/13 at 7:07pmpost #930 of 28476/2/13 at 10:23am
That's, frankly, awesome that you're keeping a running list of tubes, even if it's completely subjective. I'll take the advice and run with it!
I'd probably go with the Sophia Princess Meshplate, as that seems to feel just right, given the fact that they have an operational website and apparent stock (always a good sign). They do seem to have two models, found here:
I know people seem to like the Sophia Princess, but they appear to have the EXACT same specs on the website... Is there any apparent difference sonically? Doesn't matter to me what they look like, just how they sound. :)
Oh, and quick question: how would a ceramic base differ from the black base? Any ideas?
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 1more E1001 triple driver in ear headphones review just now
- › Band Name Game II 14 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 27 seconds ago
- › Hifiman Edition X 33 seconds ago
- › Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 5 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 6 minutes ago
- › The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO Releases the X7 Standard Edition (Without Amp Module) 7 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06A - A New Winner 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Omega In Ear Earbuds Noise Isolating Earphones Remote... by Deviltooth
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...