To be fair Def, you did not add... 'The Stratus is not one of them'. So the 'read between the lines' reader would assume you are including the Stratus in your statement.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 5/24/12
- productDNA Stratus 2a3tagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSonett DNAtagged by System, 5/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 2/28/14 at 3:29am in High-end Audio Forum
- Tube amp for Sennheiser HD800s: deciding between some SE & balanced options Last post on 12/7/13 at 7:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Considering the poor review level here I felt I had to post a review: I spent some time checking reviews of these AKG K451 headphones, and found conflicting comments. What I can do is confirm...
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 61post #901 of 16075/23/13 at 3:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #902 of 16075/23/13 at 3:28am
Quote:Originally Posted by DefQon
True true. Just to add I wasn't exactly saying that the Stratus was not a balanced amp, just adding on what preproman was saying and what he meant was that you can't just look at a headphone amp with an XLR and say it is fore sure a balanced amplifier.
Btw what cables are those you're using for your K1k. (Full picture shot with the amp :D)post #903 of 16075/23/13 at 5:01am
Time moves forward... correcting yourself after being called on it isn't the same as being correct the first time around :P Even the retraction doesn't flat out say the Stratus is balanced only that you aren't 'exactly' saying it isn't. Which is to say you are still implying it might be single ended ;)post #904 of 16075/23/13 at 5:57amQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
Time moves forward... correcting yourself after being called on it isn't the same as being correct the first time around :P Even the retraction doesn't flat out say the Stratus is balanced only that you aren't 'exactly' saying it isn't. Which is to say you are still implying it might be single ended ;)
I didn't correct anything, look at the times I edited that post as I didn't make sense halfway what I was making a response to fej, way before Donald North's post which should've been prepomans post quoted not mine. I wasn't even talking about that Stratus I was just re-interpreting what Preproman was trying to say which around his post, there was confusion as to what he was saying and I simply just re-worded him saying, you can't always look at an amplifier be it ss or tube with an XLR and come to the conclusion that it is automatically a balanced amplifier, which is 101% true. Some amp's have a 4pin XLR for convenience, some run on actual balanced operations. Whether or not the Stratus is truly balanced I don't know I wasn't even talking about the Stratus and this concludes that you and DN mistook my post for what someone else was saying.
EDIT: Actually just going back one page and looking at the post I made and the timestamps of the post, I did even edit that post I quoted above, DN's post was almost exactly 3 hours after mine.
Edited by DefQon - 5/23/13 at 6:20ampost #905 of 16075/23/13 at 1:05pm
Okay now that that is all cleared up...
Going back to the topic at hand, I go back and forth between the SE and the BAL outputs for my HD800s and have to say that there are times when I prefer the SE. There is an equally beguiling misconception out there that balanced and/or differential outputs are always better than single-ended outputs. I do not think this is the case. It is not the case with my 2-channel speaker amp and it's a toss-up on the Stratus - largely dependent on the music source. I find it broadens the soundstage a smidge and there are many times when a more intimate presentation is better. I do not detect any difference in resolution, which makes sense given they are tapped from the same OPTs...post #906 of 16075/23/13 at 1:57pmpost #907 of 16075/23/13 at 4:36pm
Yes, nice diversion and thanks for all that, but now that it is OVER. Just wanted to post that today I put an EML 5U4G rectifier in my Stratus. So now I'm running the EML rectifier along with Sophia Electric Princess 2A3's. Initial impressions are that the amp has a lot more balls now. Yes,'it's probably the placebo effect, but I don't know! ??? Sounds great, less filling. It's like frosted flakes "They're more than good, they're GREAT"!!!post #908 of 16075/23/13 at 8:40pm
There is an argument that transformer balanced drive separates the left and right signal currents into/out from the headphones, whereas as single ended share a common ground. This is similar to the argument for bi-wiring loudspeakers.post #909 of 16075/24/13 at 3:11am
True, but no doubling of slew rates, voltage, etc. So it shouldn't sound too different. Where as something like a BHA-1, according to owners, is so slow single ended, that balanced drive actually turns it from an ok amp to a good one.
Edited by Solude - 5/24/13 at 3:13ampost #910 of 16075/24/13 at 9:39am
The 300B is pretty "polite". I have such an amp, and I like it very much. With 9W out, I can use my LS3/5As which I love dearly. But I prefer the 45 direct coupled monos I have. True, I had to get a more sensitive set of speakers. As easy to drive as LS3/5As are to drive, their high, flat electrical load curve isn't enough to overcome the 83dB sensitivity. So, I bought a pair of Tonian Labs speakers, which work well at around 97dB sensitivity. I prefer the clarity and tone of the 45 (matter of preference) and the deeper, tighter bass than the 300B. I am using a deHavilland UV-3 preamp and having a custom 26 preamp built for me.post #911 of 16075/24/13 at 9:40ampost #912 of 16075/24/13 at 11:18ampost #913 of 16075/24/13 at 11:27pmpost #914 of 16075/24/13 at 11:41pmpost #915 of 16075/25/13 at 9:00pm
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 10 seconds ago
- › Ultrasone Edition 8 11 seconds ago
- › 8 years ago . . . 51 seconds ago
- › How do you replace the head band pad on Senn HD580? 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Corsair SP2500's died; now what? 1 minute ago
- › Cable replacement for HD424s 1 minute ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 1 minute ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by subwoofer
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude