To be fair Def, you did not add... 'The Stratus is not one of them'. So the 'read between the lines' reader would assume you are including the Stratus in your statement.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 5/24/12
- productDNA Stratus 2a3tagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSonett DNAtagged by System, 5/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 4/10/14 at 11:28am in High-end Audio Forum
- Tube amp for Sennheiser HD800s: deciding between some SE & balanced options Last post on 12/7/13 at 7:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
I don't consider them nice or even fun but everytime I'm working out I feel like I made a great investment. Going out with my Westone 4R or my customs make me feel paranoid to some extend. The...
I noticed so much praise around here that my expectations were quite high and I gotta say: I was not disappointed at all. There's little new we can say about such a famous/infamous IEM. I bought a...
The Sennheiser HD280 that I'm reviewing do not belong to me, they're presumably a couple years old (I didn't ask) and in good condition aside from a couple scratches on the earcups. I was curious...
Disclaimer The FR is a review sample sent from Noble Audio. The reviewer was compensated in the form of a ridiculously cool and form-fitting Noble Audio shirt. Introduction Despite humans...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 61post #901 of 16765/23/13 at 3:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #902 of 16765/23/13 at 3:28am
Quote:Originally Posted by DefQon
True true. Just to add I wasn't exactly saying that the Stratus was not a balanced amp, just adding on what preproman was saying and what he meant was that you can't just look at a headphone amp with an XLR and say it is fore sure a balanced amplifier.
Btw what cables are those you're using for your K1k. (Full picture shot with the amp :D)post #903 of 16765/23/13 at 5:01am
Time moves forward... correcting yourself after being called on it isn't the same as being correct the first time around :P Even the retraction doesn't flat out say the Stratus is balanced only that you aren't 'exactly' saying it isn't. Which is to say you are still implying it might be single ended ;)post #904 of 16765/23/13 at 5:57amQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
Time moves forward... correcting yourself after being called on it isn't the same as being correct the first time around :P Even the retraction doesn't flat out say the Stratus is balanced only that you aren't 'exactly' saying it isn't. Which is to say you are still implying it might be single ended ;)
I didn't correct anything, look at the times I edited that post as I didn't make sense halfway what I was making a response to fej, way before Donald North's post which should've been prepomans post quoted not mine. I wasn't even talking about that Stratus I was just re-interpreting what Preproman was trying to say which around his post, there was confusion as to what he was saying and I simply just re-worded him saying, you can't always look at an amplifier be it ss or tube with an XLR and come to the conclusion that it is automatically a balanced amplifier, which is 101% true. Some amp's have a 4pin XLR for convenience, some run on actual balanced operations. Whether or not the Stratus is truly balanced I don't know I wasn't even talking about the Stratus and this concludes that you and DN mistook my post for what someone else was saying.
EDIT: Actually just going back one page and looking at the post I made and the timestamps of the post, I did even edit that post I quoted above, DN's post was almost exactly 3 hours after mine.
Edited by DefQon - 5/23/13 at 6:20ampost #905 of 16765/23/13 at 1:05pm
Okay now that that is all cleared up...
Going back to the topic at hand, I go back and forth between the SE and the BAL outputs for my HD800s and have to say that there are times when I prefer the SE. There is an equally beguiling misconception out there that balanced and/or differential outputs are always better than single-ended outputs. I do not think this is the case. It is not the case with my 2-channel speaker amp and it's a toss-up on the Stratus - largely dependent on the music source. I find it broadens the soundstage a smidge and there are many times when a more intimate presentation is better. I do not detect any difference in resolution, which makes sense given they are tapped from the same OPTs...post #906 of 16765/23/13 at 1:57pmpost #907 of 16765/23/13 at 4:36pm
Yes, nice diversion and thanks for all that, but now that it is OVER. Just wanted to post that today I put an EML 5U4G rectifier in my Stratus. So now I'm running the EML rectifier along with Sophia Electric Princess 2A3's. Initial impressions are that the amp has a lot more balls now. Yes,'it's probably the placebo effect, but I don't know! ??? Sounds great, less filling. It's like frosted flakes "They're more than good, they're GREAT"!!!post #908 of 16765/23/13 at 8:40pm
There is an argument that transformer balanced drive separates the left and right signal currents into/out from the headphones, whereas as single ended share a common ground. This is similar to the argument for bi-wiring loudspeakers.post #909 of 16765/24/13 at 3:11am
True, but no doubling of slew rates, voltage, etc. So it shouldn't sound too different. Where as something like a BHA-1, according to owners, is so slow single ended, that balanced drive actually turns it from an ok amp to a good one.
Edited by Solude - 5/24/13 at 3:13ampost #910 of 16765/24/13 at 9:39am
The 300B is pretty "polite". I have such an amp, and I like it very much. With 9W out, I can use my LS3/5As which I love dearly. But I prefer the 45 direct coupled monos I have. True, I had to get a more sensitive set of speakers. As easy to drive as LS3/5As are to drive, their high, flat electrical load curve isn't enough to overcome the 83dB sensitivity. So, I bought a pair of Tonian Labs speakers, which work well at around 97dB sensitivity. I prefer the clarity and tone of the 45 (matter of preference) and the deeper, tighter bass than the 300B. I am using a deHavilland UV-3 preamp and having a custom 26 preamp built for me.post #911 of 16765/24/13 at 9:40ampost #912 of 16765/24/13 at 11:18ampost #913 of 16765/24/13 at 11:27pmpost #914 of 16765/24/13 at 11:41pmpost #915 of 16765/25/13 at 9:00pm
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Appreciation Thread 8 seconds ago
- › The Basshead Club 11 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 39 seconds ago
- › New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable 48 seconds ago
- › Seattle Spring Meet @ BottleHeadquarters April 26,2014 54 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 1 minute ago
- › ODAC w/ RCA 2 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 2 minutes ago
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob