To be fair Def, you did not add... 'The Stratus is not one of them'. So the 'read between the lines' reader would assume you are including the Stratus in your statement.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State Vet Wants To Try Tubes For The HD 800 and T1!! Last post on 4/8/12 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Grado Rs1i(probably hd650 or hd800 or LCD2 in the future) Last post on 12/8/10 at 6:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Disclaimer: I was contacted by a Brainwavz representative to try out a free pair of S5 IEMs under the condition I would write a review for them. I received them in mid July and have sampled them...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 61post #901 of 18665/23/13 at 3:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #902 of 18665/23/13 at 3:28am
Quote:Originally Posted by DefQon
True true. Just to add I wasn't exactly saying that the Stratus was not a balanced amp, just adding on what preproman was saying and what he meant was that you can't just look at a headphone amp with an XLR and say it is fore sure a balanced amplifier.
Btw what cables are those you're using for your K1k. (Full picture shot with the amp :D)post #903 of 18665/23/13 at 5:01am
Time moves forward... correcting yourself after being called on it isn't the same as being correct the first time around :P Even the retraction doesn't flat out say the Stratus is balanced only that you aren't 'exactly' saying it isn't. Which is to say you are still implying it might be single ended ;)post #904 of 18665/23/13 at 5:57amQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
Time moves forward... correcting yourself after being called on it isn't the same as being correct the first time around :P Even the retraction doesn't flat out say the Stratus is balanced only that you aren't 'exactly' saying it isn't. Which is to say you are still implying it might be single ended ;)
I didn't correct anything, look at the times I edited that post as I didn't make sense halfway what I was making a response to fej, way before Donald North's post which should've been prepomans post quoted not mine. I wasn't even talking about that Stratus I was just re-interpreting what Preproman was trying to say which around his post, there was confusion as to what he was saying and I simply just re-worded him saying, you can't always look at an amplifier be it ss or tube with an XLR and come to the conclusion that it is automatically a balanced amplifier, which is 101% true. Some amp's have a 4pin XLR for convenience, some run on actual balanced operations. Whether or not the Stratus is truly balanced I don't know I wasn't even talking about the Stratus and this concludes that you and DN mistook my post for what someone else was saying.
EDIT: Actually just going back one page and looking at the post I made and the timestamps of the post, I did even edit that post I quoted above, DN's post was almost exactly 3 hours after mine.
Edited by DefQon - 5/23/13 at 6:20ampost #905 of 18665/23/13 at 1:05pm
Okay now that that is all cleared up...
Going back to the topic at hand, I go back and forth between the SE and the BAL outputs for my HD800s and have to say that there are times when I prefer the SE. There is an equally beguiling misconception out there that balanced and/or differential outputs are always better than single-ended outputs. I do not think this is the case. It is not the case with my 2-channel speaker amp and it's a toss-up on the Stratus - largely dependent on the music source. I find it broadens the soundstage a smidge and there are many times when a more intimate presentation is better. I do not detect any difference in resolution, which makes sense given they are tapped from the same OPTs...post #906 of 18665/23/13 at 1:57pmpost #907 of 18665/23/13 at 4:36pm
Yes, nice diversion and thanks for all that, but now that it is OVER. Just wanted to post that today I put an EML 5U4G rectifier in my Stratus. So now I'm running the EML rectifier along with Sophia Electric Princess 2A3's. Initial impressions are that the amp has a lot more balls now. Yes,'it's probably the placebo effect, but I don't know! ??? Sounds great, less filling. It's like frosted flakes "They're more than good, they're GREAT"!!!post #908 of 18665/23/13 at 8:40pm
There is an argument that transformer balanced drive separates the left and right signal currents into/out from the headphones, whereas as single ended share a common ground. This is similar to the argument for bi-wiring loudspeakers.post #909 of 18665/24/13 at 3:11am
True, but no doubling of slew rates, voltage, etc. So it shouldn't sound too different. Where as something like a BHA-1, according to owners, is so slow single ended, that balanced drive actually turns it from an ok amp to a good one.
Edited by Solude - 5/24/13 at 3:13ampost #910 of 18665/24/13 at 9:39am
The 300B is pretty "polite". I have such an amp, and I like it very much. With 9W out, I can use my LS3/5As which I love dearly. But I prefer the 45 direct coupled monos I have. True, I had to get a more sensitive set of speakers. As easy to drive as LS3/5As are to drive, their high, flat electrical load curve isn't enough to overcome the 83dB sensitivity. So, I bought a pair of Tonian Labs speakers, which work well at around 97dB sensitivity. I prefer the clarity and tone of the 45 (matter of preference) and the deeper, tighter bass than the 300B. I am using a deHavilland UV-3 preamp and having a custom 26 preamp built for me.post #911 of 18665/24/13 at 9:40ampost #912 of 18665/24/13 at 11:18ampost #913 of 18665/24/13 at 11:27pmpost #914 of 18665/24/13 at 11:41pmpost #915 of 18665/25/13 at 9:00pm
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › AudioValve RKV-II (OTL amp) (2014 version) + AudioValve Box... 2 seconds ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 10 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 19 seconds ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 28 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction 58 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 2 minutes ago
- › High-End Budget Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Baldoor etc) and Earbud... 2 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › any new recommendations under 200$? 4 minutes ago
- › HD 598 or Momentum? 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by earfonia
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)