To be fair Def, you did not add... 'The Stratus is not one of them'. So the 'read between the lines' reader would assume you are including the Stratus in your statement.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State Vet Wants To Try Tubes For The HD 800 and T1!! Last post on 4/8/12 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Grado Rs1i(probably hd650 or hd800 or LCD2 in the future) Last post on 12/8/10 at 6:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
Disclaimer: I was given the MEElectronics M9 Classic in return for a review. The opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own, and were not influenced by MEElectronics in any way. Before I...
AK120II and Pono player combined review
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 61post #901 of 22245/23/13 at 3:10am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #902 of 22245/23/13 at 3:28am
Quote:Originally Posted by DefQon
True true. Just to add I wasn't exactly saying that the Stratus was not a balanced amp, just adding on what preproman was saying and what he meant was that you can't just look at a headphone amp with an XLR and say it is fore sure a balanced amplifier.
Btw what cables are those you're using for your K1k. (Full picture shot with the amp :D)post #903 of 22245/23/13 at 5:01am
Time moves forward... correcting yourself after being called on it isn't the same as being correct the first time around :P Even the retraction doesn't flat out say the Stratus is balanced only that you aren't 'exactly' saying it isn't. Which is to say you are still implying it might be single ended ;)post #904 of 22245/23/13 at 5:57amQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
Time moves forward... correcting yourself after being called on it isn't the same as being correct the first time around :P Even the retraction doesn't flat out say the Stratus is balanced only that you aren't 'exactly' saying it isn't. Which is to say you are still implying it might be single ended ;)
I didn't correct anything, look at the times I edited that post as I didn't make sense halfway what I was making a response to fej, way before Donald North's post which should've been prepomans post quoted not mine. I wasn't even talking about that Stratus I was just re-interpreting what Preproman was trying to say which around his post, there was confusion as to what he was saying and I simply just re-worded him saying, you can't always look at an amplifier be it ss or tube with an XLR and come to the conclusion that it is automatically a balanced amplifier, which is 101% true. Some amp's have a 4pin XLR for convenience, some run on actual balanced operations. Whether or not the Stratus is truly balanced I don't know I wasn't even talking about the Stratus and this concludes that you and DN mistook my post for what someone else was saying.
EDIT: Actually just going back one page and looking at the post I made and the timestamps of the post, I did even edit that post I quoted above, DN's post was almost exactly 3 hours after mine.
Edited by DefQon - 5/23/13 at 6:20ampost #905 of 22245/23/13 at 1:05pm
Okay now that that is all cleared up...
Going back to the topic at hand, I go back and forth between the SE and the BAL outputs for my HD800s and have to say that there are times when I prefer the SE. There is an equally beguiling misconception out there that balanced and/or differential outputs are always better than single-ended outputs. I do not think this is the case. It is not the case with my 2-channel speaker amp and it's a toss-up on the Stratus - largely dependent on the music source. I find it broadens the soundstage a smidge and there are many times when a more intimate presentation is better. I do not detect any difference in resolution, which makes sense given they are tapped from the same OPTs...post #906 of 22245/23/13 at 1:57pmpost #907 of 22245/23/13 at 4:36pm
Yes, nice diversion and thanks for all that, but now that it is OVER. Just wanted to post that today I put an EML 5U4G rectifier in my Stratus. So now I'm running the EML rectifier along with Sophia Electric Princess 2A3's. Initial impressions are that the amp has a lot more balls now. Yes,'it's probably the placebo effect, but I don't know! ??? Sounds great, less filling. It's like frosted flakes "They're more than good, they're GREAT"!!!post #908 of 22245/23/13 at 8:40pm
There is an argument that transformer balanced drive separates the left and right signal currents into/out from the headphones, whereas as single ended share a common ground. This is similar to the argument for bi-wiring loudspeakers.post #909 of 22245/24/13 at 3:11am
True, but no doubling of slew rates, voltage, etc. So it shouldn't sound too different. Where as something like a BHA-1, according to owners, is so slow single ended, that balanced drive actually turns it from an ok amp to a good one.
Edited by Solude - 5/24/13 at 3:13ampost #910 of 22245/24/13 at 9:39am
The 300B is pretty "polite". I have such an amp, and I like it very much. With 9W out, I can use my LS3/5As which I love dearly. But I prefer the 45 direct coupled monos I have. True, I had to get a more sensitive set of speakers. As easy to drive as LS3/5As are to drive, their high, flat electrical load curve isn't enough to overcome the 83dB sensitivity. So, I bought a pair of Tonian Labs speakers, which work well at around 97dB sensitivity. I prefer the clarity and tone of the 45 (matter of preference) and the deeper, tighter bass than the 300B. I am using a deHavilland UV-3 preamp and having a custom 26 preamp built for me.post #911 of 22245/24/13 at 9:40ampost #912 of 22245/24/13 at 11:18ampost #913 of 22245/24/13 at 11:27pmpost #914 of 22245/24/13 at 11:41pmpost #915 of 22245/25/13 at 9:00pm
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 1 second ago
- › Objective 2 headphone amplifier or the Shiit audio vali? 16 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 34 seconds ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015 -- It's Official! 44 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 2 minutes ago
- › What are 3 additions to the FW of the DX50 or DX90 that you would... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Help Me Understand Bypassing The Computer's Internal DAC 2 minutes ago
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3