Thanks Frihed for your assessment on the tubes. I have heard the solid plate but not the mesh plates form EML. I agree they are in a different category over the stock Shuguang which is a nice tune as well. I will sort it all out and probably start with Donald advice on the meshplate since he heard both and I would like the top end as well.. I will also add one other tune either the TCA or the Sophia Mesh plates and then be done for a long while with tubes. I would also like to add the EML 5U4G tube as well.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 5/24/12
- productDNA Stratus 2a3tagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSonett DNAtagged by System, 5/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 12/9/13 at 3:56am in High-end Audio Forum
- Tube amp for Sennheiser HD800s: deciding between some SE & balanced options Last post on 12/7/13 at 7:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 54post #796 of 13534/23/13 at 5:01am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #797 of 13534/23/13 at 12:51pmpost #798 of 13534/23/13 at 2:52pmQuote:
Donald is pretty set with the 6N1P tube as I asked if I could even use the 6922 and he said he does not recommend it. I am no sure but Donald will have to answer it but I dont believe he will change the 6N1Ppost #799 of 13534/23/13 at 3:03pmQuote:
Do you like the HE500 better than the HE6 with the Stratus?post #800 of 13534/23/13 at 7:41pmSome goodies arrived today...
Oh Sylvania! Dual flat-plate 2A3's!
Sylvania Gray S-Plate 2A3's...
An all-Sylvania line-up (5U4G, 2A3, 6BQ7A)
Very brief impressions on the Dual-Monoplates. I'm getting pure refinement. Its linearity and smoothness are almost unmatched. The HD800 has never sounded sweeter. The Gray S-plate 2A3's are slightly less refined but have more air and presence which HD800 also embraces completely.
An update to my matching game of 2A3 tubes and headphones I own:
HD800 - Sylvania Dual-Flat Plates, Sylvania Gray S-Plates, Sophia Princess Meshplate, Sylvania Black S-Plates (with coiled springs or fishing rod supports)
HD650 - Sylvania (any), RCA monoplate, Sophia Princess Mesh, RCA S-Plate (Black or Gray)
LCD2.1 - RCA monoplate, EML Mesh
LCD3 - EML Mesh
HE500 - Ken Rad, EML Mesh, any tube
AH-D7000 - Ken Rad, any tube
W3000ANV - RCA monoplate, Sylvania (any)
I have another rare old stock tube incoming. Stay tuned....
Edited by drheadphone - 4/30/13 at 4:17pmpost #801 of 13534/23/13 at 9:16pm
Nice. I have a pair of Sylvania dual flat plates as well and I now prefer them to my RCA mono plates with the HD800. Along with the military Ken Rad dual box plates, they are the pinnacle of the 2A3. The Sylvanias, as you rightly point out, are for more refined phones, and the Ken Rads are to stomp all over orthos...Quote:
Do you like the HE500 better than the HE6 with the Stratus?
Third Eye, alas, I sold my HE500s! But I liked that combo a lot. Better perhaps than the HE-6, although the HE-6 are sounding very nice on my Stratus right now - especially with the Ken Rads. Better than EMLs. The EMLs enhance the HE-6's already sibilant-tending treble. But with the Ken Rads and even the Sylvanias, I was getting a very even, powerful, voluptuous sound from the HE-6s today. That being said, the HE-5s trounce them both! If you can find an old pair somewhere they are even more highly recommended.post #802 of 13534/23/13 at 10:58pmThe real star tube is the Sylvania Gray S-plate 2A3 which I got from Brentjes for only $150/pair shipped. The Senns sound scary dimensional and forward with the gray plates. The top-end is so smooth and extending. It's like they were made for each other.post #803 of 13534/26/13 at 6:56pmpost #804 of 13534/26/13 at 10:50pmpost #805 of 13534/26/13 at 11:03pmUsually the grey plate Sylvania's can be can found cheaper than black plates. You get more warmth and smoother top end with the black plates. The grey plates are lighter sounding, more forward in the mids and have superior air. A must hear with the HD800/650!
The RCA equivalent doesn't come close, IMO. The RCA monoplates on the other hand...
Edited by drheadphone - 4/26/13 at 11:10pmpost #806 of 13534/29/13 at 4:09pmpost #807 of 13534/30/13 at 6:48pmQuote:
Congrats, enjoy!!!!post #808 of 13535/2/13 at 11:35am
Based on feedback from fellow Stratus owners I've ordered both HD650 and HE500 as some nice change up options for my HD800. I'm normally a one headphone kind of guy but we'll see how this develops.post #809 of 13535/2/13 at 11:47amQuote:
The LCD 2.2 was excellent as well when I had the demo unit here, You may as well start collecting headphones. LOL My house looks like a hifi store right now with all the review gear thats showing up. Hopefully I will have all of this done before my stratus shows up so I can concentrate on that amp.post #810 of 13535/2/13 at 12:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Frank I
The LCD 2.2 was excellent as well when I had the demo unit here, You may as well start collecting headphones. LOL My house looks like a hifi store right now with all the review gear thats showing up. Hopefully I will have all of this done before my stratus shows up so I can concentrate on that amp.
I'll get a chance to audition the LCD's at the LA meet this summer but all the previous times I've auditioned them, I felt like my head was in a torture device.........I do have a rather large head and wear glasses so that probably doesn't help matters. I hope the HE500 is a little more tolerable comfort wise.
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 18 seconds ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 4 minutes ago
- › Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Headphones you regretted buying the most 5 minutes ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E... 5 minutes ago
- › Sleek Audio SA7 Appreciation, Impressions, and Discussion Thread! 5 minutes ago
- › The NEW ATH-ES700.. 6 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 7 minutes ago
- › Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors) 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe