Thanks Frihed for your assessment on the tubes. I have heard the solid plate but not the mesh plates form EML. I agree they are in a different category over the stock Shuguang which is a nice tune as well. I will sort it all out and probably start with Donald advice on the meshplate since he heard both and I would like the top end as well.. I will also add one other tune either the TCA or the Sophia Mesh plates and then be done for a long while with tubes. I would also like to add the EML 5U4G tube as well.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 5/24/12
- productDNA Stratus 2a3tagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSonett DNAtagged by System, 5/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 4/10/14 at 11:28am in High-end Audio Forum
- Tube amp for Sennheiser HD800s: deciding between some SE & balanced options Last post on 12/7/13 at 7:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
I'm giving these a 4 based on sound quality alone. I'm a cheap headphone user; I've gone from cheap headphone to cheap headphone over the past decade or so. I started with the Skullcandy Ink'd...
The review will comming soon
I used these for about three months at my desk at work. The left side went out in that short time. They were great while they lasted.
Hi When i brought these i hoped that they would sound amazing. But when i tried these i noticed that there was no bass at all. I'm a bass head. Now i brought the ferrari by logic3 T150. They...
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 54post #796 of 17014/23/13 at 5:01am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #797 of 17014/23/13 at 12:51pmpost #798 of 17014/23/13 at 2:52pmQuote:
Donald is pretty set with the 6N1P tube as I asked if I could even use the 6922 and he said he does not recommend it. I am no sure but Donald will have to answer it but I dont believe he will change the 6N1Ppost #799 of 17014/23/13 at 3:03pmQuote:
Do you like the HE500 better than the HE6 with the Stratus?post #800 of 17014/23/13 at 7:41pmSome goodies arrived today...
Oh Sylvania! Dual flat-plate 2A3's!
Sylvania Gray S-Plate 2A3's...
An all-Sylvania line-up (5U4G, 2A3, 6BQ7A)
Very brief impressions on the Dual-Monoplates. I'm getting pure refinement. Its linearity and smoothness are almost unmatched. The HD800 has never sounded sweeter. The Gray S-plate 2A3's are slightly less refined but have more air and presence which HD800 also embraces completely.
An update to my matching game of 2A3 tubes and headphones I own:
HD800 - Sylvania Dual-Flat Plates, Sylvania Gray S-Plates, Sophia Princess Meshplate, Sylvania Black S-Plates (with coiled springs or fishing rod supports)
HD650 - Sylvania (any), RCA monoplate, Sophia Princess Mesh, RCA S-Plate (Black or Gray)
LCD2.1 - RCA monoplate, EML Mesh
LCD3 - EML Mesh
HE500 - Ken Rad, EML Mesh, any tube
AH-D7000 - Ken Rad, any tube
W3000ANV - RCA monoplate, Sylvania (any)
I have another rare old stock tube incoming. Stay tuned....
Edited by drheadphone - 4/30/13 at 4:17pmpost #801 of 17014/23/13 at 9:16pm
Nice. I have a pair of Sylvania dual flat plates as well and I now prefer them to my RCA mono plates with the HD800. Along with the military Ken Rad dual box plates, they are the pinnacle of the 2A3. The Sylvanias, as you rightly point out, are for more refined phones, and the Ken Rads are to stomp all over orthos...Quote:
Do you like the HE500 better than the HE6 with the Stratus?
Third Eye, alas, I sold my HE500s! But I liked that combo a lot. Better perhaps than the HE-6, although the HE-6 are sounding very nice on my Stratus right now - especially with the Ken Rads. Better than EMLs. The EMLs enhance the HE-6's already sibilant-tending treble. But with the Ken Rads and even the Sylvanias, I was getting a very even, powerful, voluptuous sound from the HE-6s today. That being said, the HE-5s trounce them both! If you can find an old pair somewhere they are even more highly recommended.post #802 of 17014/23/13 at 10:58pmThe real star tube is the Sylvania Gray S-plate 2A3 which I got from Brentjes for only $150/pair shipped. The Senns sound scary dimensional and forward with the gray plates. The top-end is so smooth and extending. It's like they were made for each other.post #803 of 17014/26/13 at 6:56pmpost #804 of 17014/26/13 at 10:50pmpost #805 of 17014/26/13 at 11:03pmUsually the grey plate Sylvania's can be can found cheaper than black plates. You get more warmth and smoother top end with the black plates. The grey plates are lighter sounding, more forward in the mids and have superior air. A must hear with the HD800/650!
The RCA equivalent doesn't come close, IMO. The RCA monoplates on the other hand...
Edited by drheadphone - 4/26/13 at 11:10pmpost #806 of 17014/29/13 at 4:09pmpost #807 of 17014/30/13 at 6:48pmQuote:
Congrats, enjoy!!!!post #808 of 17015/2/13 at 11:35am
Based on feedback from fellow Stratus owners I've ordered both HD650 and HE500 as some nice change up options for my HD800. I'm normally a one headphone kind of guy but we'll see how this develops.post #809 of 17015/2/13 at 11:47amQuote:
The LCD 2.2 was excellent as well when I had the demo unit here, You may as well start collecting headphones. LOL My house looks like a hifi store right now with all the review gear thats showing up. Hopefully I will have all of this done before my stratus shows up so I can concentrate on that amp.post #810 of 17015/2/13 at 12:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Frank I
The LCD 2.2 was excellent as well when I had the demo unit here, You may as well start collecting headphones. LOL My house looks like a hifi store right now with all the review gear thats showing up. Hopefully I will have all of this done before my stratus shows up so I can concentrate on that amp.
I'll get a chance to audition the LCD's at the LA meet this summer but all the previous times I've auditioned them, I felt like my head was in a torture device.........I do have a rather large head and wear glasses so that probably doesn't help matters. I hope the HE500 is a little more tolerable comfort wise.
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Bravo Audio V3 Discussion and Mods. 7 seconds ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 14 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › D marc0's Journal: My Head-fi Journey (NEW: Sony XBA H3 Review and... 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › New WESTONE W-SERIES 5 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by az060693
- › Halide Design DAC HD by Zuqi
- › Sony MDR-ZX-700 by PurelyNicole
- › Klipsch Image S3 Nosie-Isolating Earphones with Patented Oval Ear-Tips by Arno Berck
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude