Thanks Frihed for your assessment on the tubes. I have heard the solid plate but not the mesh plates form EML. I agree they are in a different category over the stock Shuguang which is a nice tune as well. I will sort it all out and probably start with Donald advice on the meshplate since he heard both and I would like the top end as well.. I will also add one other tune either the TCA or the Sophia Mesh plates and then be done for a long while with tubes. I would also like to add the EML 5U4G tube as well.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 5/24/12
- productDNA Stratus 2a3tagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSonett DNAtagged by System, 5/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 4/10/14 at 11:28am in High-end Audio Forum
- Tube amp for Sennheiser HD800s: deciding between some SE & balanced options Last post on 12/7/13 at 7:35pm in High-end Audio Forum
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
I use them continuously: during the commuting in the subway, on the plane, at home and in the office for my conference calls. I was expecting much lower musical quality from a BT can, but actually...
I spend my working days far from home and I was looking for something compact with two specific characteristics: keep the same feeling that I have when I listen to the Sennheiser HD650 driven by...
Best i-Device portable DAC ever listened to, very neutral and smooth like from a desktop DAC. Currently using it with my iPod touch 5 (Yes, it's support lightinig connector). I will prefer filter...
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 54post #796 of 16784/23/13 at 5:01am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #797 of 16784/23/13 at 12:51pmpost #798 of 16784/23/13 at 2:52pmQuote:
Donald is pretty set with the 6N1P tube as I asked if I could even use the 6922 and he said he does not recommend it. I am no sure but Donald will have to answer it but I dont believe he will change the 6N1Ppost #799 of 16784/23/13 at 3:03pmQuote:
Do you like the HE500 better than the HE6 with the Stratus?post #800 of 16784/23/13 at 7:41pmSome goodies arrived today...
Oh Sylvania! Dual flat-plate 2A3's!
Sylvania Gray S-Plate 2A3's...
An all-Sylvania line-up (5U4G, 2A3, 6BQ7A)
Very brief impressions on the Dual-Monoplates. I'm getting pure refinement. Its linearity and smoothness are almost unmatched. The HD800 has never sounded sweeter. The Gray S-plate 2A3's are slightly less refined but have more air and presence which HD800 also embraces completely.
An update to my matching game of 2A3 tubes and headphones I own:
HD800 - Sylvania Dual-Flat Plates, Sylvania Gray S-Plates, Sophia Princess Meshplate, Sylvania Black S-Plates (with coiled springs or fishing rod supports)
HD650 - Sylvania (any), RCA monoplate, Sophia Princess Mesh, RCA S-Plate (Black or Gray)
LCD2.1 - RCA monoplate, EML Mesh
LCD3 - EML Mesh
HE500 - Ken Rad, EML Mesh, any tube
AH-D7000 - Ken Rad, any tube
W3000ANV - RCA monoplate, Sylvania (any)
I have another rare old stock tube incoming. Stay tuned....
Edited by drheadphone - 4/30/13 at 4:17pmpost #801 of 16784/23/13 at 9:16pm
Nice. I have a pair of Sylvania dual flat plates as well and I now prefer them to my RCA mono plates with the HD800. Along with the military Ken Rad dual box plates, they are the pinnacle of the 2A3. The Sylvanias, as you rightly point out, are for more refined phones, and the Ken Rads are to stomp all over orthos...Quote:
Do you like the HE500 better than the HE6 with the Stratus?
Third Eye, alas, I sold my HE500s! But I liked that combo a lot. Better perhaps than the HE-6, although the HE-6 are sounding very nice on my Stratus right now - especially with the Ken Rads. Better than EMLs. The EMLs enhance the HE-6's already sibilant-tending treble. But with the Ken Rads and even the Sylvanias, I was getting a very even, powerful, voluptuous sound from the HE-6s today. That being said, the HE-5s trounce them both! If you can find an old pair somewhere they are even more highly recommended.post #802 of 16784/23/13 at 10:58pmThe real star tube is the Sylvania Gray S-plate 2A3 which I got from Brentjes for only $150/pair shipped. The Senns sound scary dimensional and forward with the gray plates. The top-end is so smooth and extending. It's like they were made for each other.post #803 of 16784/26/13 at 6:56pmpost #804 of 16784/26/13 at 10:50pmpost #805 of 16784/26/13 at 11:03pmUsually the grey plate Sylvania's can be can found cheaper than black plates. You get more warmth and smoother top end with the black plates. The grey plates are lighter sounding, more forward in the mids and have superior air. A must hear with the HD800/650!
The RCA equivalent doesn't come close, IMO. The RCA monoplates on the other hand...
Edited by drheadphone - 4/26/13 at 11:10pmpost #806 of 16784/29/13 at 4:09pmpost #807 of 16784/30/13 at 6:48pmQuote:
Congrats, enjoy!!!!post #808 of 16785/2/13 at 11:35am
Based on feedback from fellow Stratus owners I've ordered both HD650 and HE500 as some nice change up options for my HD800. I'm normally a one headphone kind of guy but we'll see how this develops.post #809 of 16785/2/13 at 11:47amQuote:
The LCD 2.2 was excellent as well when I had the demo unit here, You may as well start collecting headphones. LOL My house looks like a hifi store right now with all the review gear thats showing up. Hopefully I will have all of this done before my stratus shows up so I can concentrate on that amp.post #810 of 16785/2/13 at 12:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Frank I
The LCD 2.2 was excellent as well when I had the demo unit here, You may as well start collecting headphones. LOL My house looks like a hifi store right now with all the review gear thats showing up. Hopefully I will have all of this done before my stratus shows up so I can concentrate on that amp.
I'll get a chance to audition the LCD's at the LA meet this summer but all the previous times I've auditioned them, I felt like my head was in a torture device.........I do have a rather large head and wear glasses so that probably doesn't help matters. I hope the HE500 is a little more tolerable comfort wise.
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 31 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 56 seconds ago
- › Vancouver Audiophile Meet May 2014! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced... 1 minute ago
- › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 19, 2014, DoubleTree San... 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 3 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MM 450-X Wireless Bluetooth Headphones by Faber65
- › iFi iDAC DAC / headphone Amplifier by Faber65
- › Fostex HP-P1 by Jensenchua
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob