Thanks Frihed for your assessment on the tubes. I have heard the solid plate but not the mesh plates form EML. I agree they are in a different category over the stock Shuguang which is a nice tune as well. I will sort it all out and probably start with Donald advice on the meshplate since he heard both and I would like the top end as well.. I will also add one other tune either the TCA or the Sophia Mesh plates and then be done for a long while with tubes. I would also like to add the EML 5U4G tube as well.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALO The Continental Last post on 11/25/13 at 2:13pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FIRST DEDICATED HEADPHONE RIG Last post on 3/19/11 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WOO WA22 with LCD-2, Grado1000i, HD800, GradoRS1i Last post on 3/12/11 at 5:27pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State Vet Wants To Try Tubes For The HD 800 and T1!! Last post on 4/8/12 at 8:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for Grado Rs1i(probably hd650 or hd800 or LCD2 in the future) Last post on 12/8/10 at 6:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is my second attempt at a review of the Brainwavz S5, my first attempt ended up in the bin yesterday, as I was looking at it from the wrong angle (some forum members wanted a comparison to...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 54post #796 of 18664/23/13 at 5:01am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #797 of 18664/23/13 at 12:51pmpost #798 of 18664/23/13 at 2:52pmQuote:
Donald is pretty set with the 6N1P tube as I asked if I could even use the 6922 and he said he does not recommend it. I am no sure but Donald will have to answer it but I dont believe he will change the 6N1Ppost #799 of 18664/23/13 at 3:03pmQuote:
Do you like the HE500 better than the HE6 with the Stratus?post #800 of 18664/23/13 at 7:41pmSome goodies arrived today...
Oh Sylvania! Dual flat-plate 2A3's!
Sylvania Gray S-Plate 2A3's...
An all-Sylvania line-up (5U4G, 2A3, 6BQ7A)
Very brief impressions on the Dual-Monoplates. I'm getting pure refinement. Its linearity and smoothness are almost unmatched. The HD800 has never sounded sweeter. The Gray S-plate 2A3's are slightly less refined but have more air and presence which HD800 also embraces completely.
An update to my matching game of 2A3 tubes and headphones I own:
HD800 - Sylvania Dual-Flat Plates, Sylvania Gray S-Plates, Sophia Princess Meshplate, Sylvania Black S-Plates (with coiled springs or fishing rod supports)
HD650 - Sylvania (any), RCA monoplate, Sophia Princess Mesh, RCA S-Plate (Black or Gray)
LCD2.1 - RCA monoplate, EML Mesh
LCD3 - EML Mesh
HE500 - Ken Rad, EML Mesh, any tube
AH-D7000 - Ken Rad, any tube
W3000ANV - RCA monoplate, Sylvania (any)
I have another rare old stock tube incoming. Stay tuned....
Edited by drheadphone - 4/30/13 at 4:17pmpost #801 of 18664/23/13 at 9:16pm
Nice. I have a pair of Sylvania dual flat plates as well and I now prefer them to my RCA mono plates with the HD800. Along with the military Ken Rad dual box plates, they are the pinnacle of the 2A3. The Sylvanias, as you rightly point out, are for more refined phones, and the Ken Rads are to stomp all over orthos...Quote:
Do you like the HE500 better than the HE6 with the Stratus?
Third Eye, alas, I sold my HE500s! But I liked that combo a lot. Better perhaps than the HE-6, although the HE-6 are sounding very nice on my Stratus right now - especially with the Ken Rads. Better than EMLs. The EMLs enhance the HE-6's already sibilant-tending treble. But with the Ken Rads and even the Sylvanias, I was getting a very even, powerful, voluptuous sound from the HE-6s today. That being said, the HE-5s trounce them both! If you can find an old pair somewhere they are even more highly recommended.post #802 of 18664/23/13 at 10:58pmThe real star tube is the Sylvania Gray S-plate 2A3 which I got from Brentjes for only $150/pair shipped. The Senns sound scary dimensional and forward with the gray plates. The top-end is so smooth and extending. It's like they were made for each other.post #803 of 18664/26/13 at 6:56pmpost #804 of 18664/26/13 at 10:50pmpost #805 of 18664/26/13 at 11:03pmUsually the grey plate Sylvania's can be can found cheaper than black plates. You get more warmth and smoother top end with the black plates. The grey plates are lighter sounding, more forward in the mids and have superior air. A must hear with the HD800/650!
The RCA equivalent doesn't come close, IMO. The RCA monoplates on the other hand...
Edited by drheadphone - 4/26/13 at 11:10pmpost #806 of 18664/29/13 at 4:09pmpost #807 of 18664/30/13 at 6:48pmQuote:
Congrats, enjoy!!!!post #808 of 18665/2/13 at 11:35am
Based on feedback from fellow Stratus owners I've ordered both HD650 and HE500 as some nice change up options for my HD800. I'm normally a one headphone kind of guy but we'll see how this develops.post #809 of 18665/2/13 at 11:47amQuote:
The LCD 2.2 was excellent as well when I had the demo unit here, You may as well start collecting headphones. LOL My house looks like a hifi store right now with all the review gear thats showing up. Hopefully I will have all of this done before my stratus shows up so I can concentrate on that amp.post #810 of 18665/2/13 at 12:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Frank I
The LCD 2.2 was excellent as well when I had the demo unit here, You may as well start collecting headphones. LOL My house looks like a hifi store right now with all the review gear thats showing up. Hopefully I will have all of this done before my stratus shows up so I can concentrate on that amp.
I'll get a chance to audition the LCD's at the LA meet this summer but all the previous times I've auditioned them, I felt like my head was in a torture device.........I do have a rather large head and wear glasses so that probably doesn't help matters. I hope the HE500 is a little more tolerable comfort wise.
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 7 seconds ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & comparisons (Added K3003, XBA-H3, S-EM6) 11 seconds ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 17 seconds ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 25 seconds ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 29 seconds ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 39 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 vs. Shure SE846: Which one is superior in terms... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review 1 minute ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Duncan
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)