Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 48

post #706 of 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by drheadphone View Post

The HD650 sound beautiful with the RCA monoplates, though. It's close. The RCA's have an awesome low end. Almost three-dimensional like in its impact. While the "mystery" tube opens up the HD650 at the top quite a bit. Like the "veil" never existed. Two extremely smooth tubes yet with different focuses in the tonal spectrum.

 

Lovin' the RCA monoplates with the W3000ANV, LCD2.1 and HE500. Surprisingly, the LCD3 and HD800 don't sound as special. Maybe it has something to do with their slightly recessed midrange that the RCA's are emphasizing even more. Or it could be my ears.

 

Is it worth getting the HD650 if I already have the HD800? I could use a more relaxed change up at times, the HD800 commands my attention when I listen to it.

post #707 of 1884

I would get the HD580s before I got the HD650s as a complement to the HD800s, especially with the Stratus.

post #708 of 1884

To remind you of how far we've come? :P  In all seriousness though, the 580 is out of production and doesn't pop up for sale very often.  The HD650 is certainly more laid back than the HD800.

post #709 of 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by third_eye View Post

Is it worth getting the HD650 if I already have the HD800? I could use a more relaxed change up at times, the HD800 commands my attention when I listen to it.

A resounding Yes! They may seem like polar opposites. Yet they seem to match well with the same amps and tubes.

The Stratus takes the HD650 to another level, especially with the right tube (Sophia's, RCA, the mystery tube!). Love the warm, intimate mids combined with spacious soundstage and deep bottom end. Makes for a great musicality. The bass especially is truly wonderful with RCA tubes. Endgame stuff IMO.
Edited by drheadphone - 4/5/13 at 1:34pm
post #710 of 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by drheadphone View Post


A resounding Yes! They may seem like polar opposites. Yet they seem to match well with the same amps and tubes.

The Stratus takes the HD650 to another level, especially with the right tube (Sophia's, RCA, the mystery tube!). Love the warm, intimate mids combined with spacious soundstage and deep bottom end. Makes for a great musicality. The bass especially is truly wonderful with RCA tubes. Endgame stuff IMO.

 

Thanks, exactly what I'm looking for! Ok, so what is this mystery tube??

post #711 of 1884
Yeah, the HD650 are like a more versatile LCD2/3 in terms of genre bandwidth. Slower bass on the HD650 for sure, but more impactful.

Mystery tube to be revealed in a few days, my friend. Just waiting on some matching 5U4 and 6BQ7A tubes. Sorry for the tease!
Edited by drheadphone - 4/5/13 at 9:43pm
post #712 of 1884

Come on, seriously?

post #713 of 1884
Quote:
To remind you of how far we've come? :P  In all seriousness though, the 580 is out of production and doesn't pop up for sale very often.  The HD650 is certainly more laid back than the HD800.

You can still find them.  And they kick the pants off the 650s imho... MUCH MUCH better with the Stratus...

post #714 of 1884

If it's the sig you like you're still better off getting the HD600.  But it's not a dark laid back can :P

post #715 of 1884

I had the HD600 but it was too similar, tonally, to the HD598 which I already had and it had flatter soundstage. The HD650 bests them both according to my laid-back lovin' ears. Although, the HD650 sounds less laid back and more neutral-ish with the Sylv...., I mean, mystery 2A3!

 


Edited by drheadphone - 4/6/13 at 3:39pm
post #716 of 1884

Isn't the 580 more or less the same as the 600? I remember reading that the 600 began as a special edition 580 or something to that effect. 

post #717 of 1884

Are those the dual flat plates? wink_face.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by drheadphone View Post

I had the HD600 but it was too similar, tonally, to the HD598 which I already had and it had flatter soundstage. The HD650 bests them both according to my laid-back lovin' ears. Although, the HD650 sounds less laid back and more neutral-ish with the Sylv...., I mean, mystery 2A3!

 

post #718 of 1884

does anyone own the w3000anv ? how does that sound on the stratus compared to the hd800, i listen to mostly vocals and some jazz considering getting one of the two

post #719 of 1884
Has anyone tried jj 40 watt 2a3 on the stratus?
post #720 of 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by third_eye View Post

Isn't the 580 more or less the same as the 600?

 

Originally very close.  Most obvious change being the grill.  Difference is the 580 is out of production and while the HD600 and HD650 have been refined and changed over time by Senn... the 580 is frozen in time.  Didn't Tyll just do a write up on the 3?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions