Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 19

post #271 of 2130
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

UPDATE:

 

The ZDSE is like a Mercedes AMG. Smooth luxurious ride, but when the driver calls for, it responds. The Stratus (with the EMLs) is like an Audi S4.

 

Gee, I wish I were one of the lucky ones who know what this means!  A TT is what you really want?

 

Must be for rock music.

 

For chamber and a cappela vocal, the Camry Hybrid I drive feels just right, like the Stratus with Princess and HD800. No background noise, truth in timbre, and great mileage, too!

 

wink_face.gif

post #272 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

Anaxilus (speaking from the phantom zone) also adds: The Stratus is like the Eddie Current Super 7 and Luxman P1-u having a baby. I agree with this. Hopefully this gets you a little closer to knowing how it actually sounds. But yeah, actually hearing it for yourself is best.

 

Purrin, all of your metaphors are great...amps having babies, amps like luxury cars.  I do know it is very difficult to convey through language one's impressions of an audio "experience", but you are doing a good and creative job.  Thanks. 

 

If the Stratus is in the same league as or even better than the Super 7 (in the opinion of some here), it must be a very good amp.

post #273 of 2130

Purrin is starting to sound very Stereophile in his descriptions.

post #274 of 2130

Yes, just to clear things up, budx3385, I do love the Stratus with the LCD-3s.  But the T-1s comes in a close second.  And the HD800 are no slouch.  I am going to order the Sophias to check out your recommendation for them.  And I am going to let the 6BQ7A break in for a while before I pass final judgement...

 

I do have to say, however, in response to the thread that followed, to me it makes less and less sense to compare amps in some general better than/worse than fashion.  I think more real work needs to be done with charts and notes and all sorts of things I personally am not about to make, but that would take into account headphones, cables, tubes, interconnects, source and musical genre.  Not to mention other variables like power source, fuses, and other aftermarket tweaks/modifications.  To me the most helpful posts relay the results of the experiments I know we all run at home cooking up random combinations of these various elements.  So budx, thank you for the results of yours thus far.  I benefited from many similar recommendations vis-a-vis the Balancing Act in that thread...

 

*Overall* however, I do have say after a while living with both the Stratus and the BA, fed by they same source with identical interconnects, hooked to the same power strip and using a series of headphones (LCD-3, T-1, T5P, D7000, HD800, HE6, K1000) that the Stratus is the more *humid* as I called it before, but *also* the more resolving, open, detailed, and organic amp as compared to the BA.  Funny that organic ever took on a negative connotation in audio circles, as to me it is the goal of all sound reproduction - to make it sound like it would in nature - by which I mean the instrument itself, whether analog or electronic, as you would hear it *in its presence.*  To me the Stratus comes much closer to that Holy Grail of actual, real, palpable organic presence than the BA.  The BA is just too distant, to marred by its own chassis, too reliant on its transformer for sound, too monochrome over various headphones (meaning it doesn't let each phone speak, it dictates its own sound more.)  As has already been mentioned a few times - the Stratus sounds impossibly good with *everything* I have thrown at it so far, in terms of headphones, sources and musical genre.  Which is saying something because I **love** the BA and still listen to it all the time.  And I know I've plugged it elsewhere before, but my SAA modified Phonitor is right up there in the top three of my "A-list" with the BA and the Stratus.  I will have to bring it to another meet in the LA area so I can hopefully make my case in person.

post #275 of 2130

Fejnomit: To clarify your comments above, which tube complement are you using in your Stratus?

post #276 of 2130
"Humid", "wet" - does the Zana Deux SE sound drier?
post #277 of 2130
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald North View Post

Fejnomit: To clarify your comments above, which tube complement are you using in your Stratus?

 

and which tubes in your BA as well?

 

 

and please let me know by a post here or a pm when you make plans to set up such a comparison at a meet in LA. For me, that opportunity would make a flight to LA/Burbank worthwhile. Thank you.

post #278 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspool View Post

"Humid", "wet" - does the Zana Deux SE sound drier?

 

None of the EC amps sound "wet". Think solid-state, but actually engaging and involving.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budx3385 View Post

and please let me know by a post here or a pm when you make plans to set up such a comparison at a meet in LA. For me, that opportunity would make a flight to LA/Burbank worthwhile. Thank you.

 

There's a probability of a smaller meet at the beginning of next year. Donald and Craig have always been invited to the meets I've planned. The other possibility is the Bay Area meet in Feb. That one is still being planned by CEETEE.


Edited by purrin - 11/7/12 at 8:12am
post #279 of 2130
I get it... I think. smily_headphones1.gif
post #280 of 2130
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

There's a probability of a smaller meet at the beginning of next year. Donald and Craig have always been invited to the meets I've planned. The other possibility is the Bay Area meet in Feb. That one is still being planned by CEETEE.

 

Sounds good, purrin. Do you announce them on the "Meets" forum?

post #281 of 2130

Yeah. Just remember to check once a month. You're not too far from where I live, so I'll put you on my follow list to let you know ahead of time if anything is going to happen.

post #282 of 2130

There we have it: the DNA Stratus has dethroned the Balancing Act and reigns as the new King of dynamic HP amplifiers!  wink_face.gif

 

Long live the King!

 

Jokes (of course)!!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fejnomit View Post

*Overall* however, I do have say after a while living with both the Stratus and the BA, fed by they same source with identical interconnects, hooked to the same power strip and using a series of headphones (LCD-3, T-1, T5P, D7000, HD800, HE6, K1000) that the Stratus is the more *humid* as I called it before, but *also* the more resolving, open, detailed, and organic amp as compared to the BA.  Funny that organic ever took on a negative connotation in audio circles, as to me it is the goal of all sound reproduction - to make it sound like it would in nature - by which I mean the instrument itself, whether analog or electronic, as you would hear it *in its presence.*  To me the Stratus comes much closer to that Holy Grail of actual, real, palpable organic presence than the BA.  The BA is just too distant, to marred by its own chassis, too reliant on its transformer for sound, too monochrome over various headphones (meaning it doesn't let each phone speak, it dictates its own sound more.)  As has already been mentioned a few times - the Stratus sounds impossibly good with *everything* I have thrown at it so far, in terms of headphones, sources and musical genre.  Which is saying something because I **love** the BA and still listen to it all the time.  And I know I've plugged it elsewhere before, but my SAA modified Phonitor is right up there in the top three of my "A-list" with the BA and the Stratus.  I will have to bring it to another meet in the LA area so I can hopefully make my case in person.


Edited by Duckman - 11/7/12 at 9:17pm
post #283 of 2130

Purrin - I'd like to be on that list too, if you don't mind.  I'm in LA.   And Audi vs. Benz - okay - I guess I like to feel the road...

 

Duckman - truly funny.  But I would hate to be the one who went down as the spark of such a coup...

 

And Donald - I am reluctant to clarify because then we get into the whole too many variables thing.  I simply meant as an overall impression with different headphones and genres with everything else static.  But of course the tubes, as I've been trying to get across, make all the difference.  (Hence my interested in a BA 2A3 vs. Stratus listening match). 

 

But to tell answer your question: I no longer listen to the BA with 300Bs much - in fact I've been selling mine off.  I have used EML 300B meshplates, EATs, Psvanes, Sophias, J&Js, Shuguang Blacks, but alas never vintage WEs.  The KR PX4s are my output tubes of choice for the BA right now.  In terms of drivers I have used too many different 6SN7s to list, ECC32, ECC33, ECC35, as well as many 6F8Gs and my current favorite RCA CRC 6C8G BRP.  For the Stratus I have used NOS RCA 2A3s and EML 2A3Ms so far.  The humidity is on display most with the meshplates.  Stock driver as well as cryoed 6BQ7A.  NOS RCA 5U4G/B, EML 5U4G, Sophia 274A, EML 274A as rectifiers.  My overall favorite is the all EML combo 2A3/5u4G. 

post #284 of 2130
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fejnomit View Post

 

.  But of course the tubes, as I've been trying to get across, make all the difference.  (Hence my interested in a BA 2A3 vs. Stratus listening match). 

 

But to tell answer your question: I no longer listen to the BA with 300Bs much - in fact I've been selling mine off.  I have used EML 300B meshplates, EATs, Psvanes, Sophias, J&Js, Shuguang Blacks, but alas never vintage WEs.  The KR PX4s are my output tubes of choice for the BA right now.  In terms of drivers I have used too many different 6SN7s to list, ECC32, ECC33, ECC35, as well as many 6F8Gs and my current favorite RCA CRC 6C8G BRP.  For the Stratus I have used NOS RCA 2A3s and EML 2A3Ms so far.  The humidity is on display most with the meshplates.  Stock driver as well as cryoed 6BQ7A.  NOS RCA 5U4G/B, EML 5U4G, Sophia 274A, EML 274A as rectifiers.  My overall favorite is the all EML combo 2A3/5u4G. 

 

 

I so heartily agree -- YES, the tubes do make a huge difference (not all - I think we all know that Donald's choices in transformers, etc, provide the SOTA starting point).

 

When I heard a local buddy's BA with KR PX4s and complete SAA cabling, it sounded wonderful with his LCD-2, but not so with any other headphone we tried. Yet, I remember an earlier post in this thread in which it was said that the BA could drive the HD800 and T1 well using NOS 2A3s. 

 

And my Stratus changed coats with the Princess when I tested it with the HD800 instead of the T1 or LA7000. Go Figure!

 

TUBES !!!  funny nonlinear transconductance valves! YES !!!!

 

I am SO glad the Stratus allows us to use so many different tubes!

post #285 of 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by fejnomit View Post

Purrin - I'd like to be on that list too, if you don't mind.  I'm in LA. 

 

 

Will do. If it's a mini-meet, I'd prefer to invite people with an actual interest in the vendors' products. I'll usually invite a few who are based locally: Audeze, DNA, EC, Schiit, etc.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions