or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions - Page 172

post #2566 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamaley View Post
 

Guys, I am still working on doing my due diligence before making the plunge for the Stratus. I heard it for the first time over the weekend (thanks to @ogodei ). He had the Shuguangs installed, tuned towards the HD-800s, which I got to listen to. I was impressed with what I heard with my HE1Ks, keeping the tube complement in mind. Also, the tubes installed were a never-used pair as one of the tubes of his broken-in pair had began malfunctioning that very day. Long story short, in spite of these obstacles, I was still enamored by what I heard, save for the bass tightness/impact. Compared to my Bottlehead S.E.X, the bass tightness was lacking. I could attribute it to the aforementioned issues, or it could just be that the S.E.X, which outputs 2W per channel, just have that final bit of cajones to manhandle the HE1K drivers into submission. 

 

I have read impressions on tube rolling on this thread, and came to the understanding that the EML solid plates may be the way to go for that extra bass tautness (not necessarily extension), and are also less lush compared to the Shuguangs. Can someone give me some feedback on how to came to settle on the tube complement they use with their HE1Ks?

I think you have answered the question yourself, with the EML tubes being more taut in bass and less lush sounding. I will enjoy the Shuguang Natural sound tubes with HE1000 if I never hear the EML mesh/solid plates as they are very lush and musical. However, IMO, the EML plates complements HE1000 better as the HE1000 does lack the bite at times compared to other headphones. With the EML tubes, the vocal of HE1000 is cleaner/clearer, more realistic in tonality and the bass is tighter, yet still remains very musical.

post #2567 of 2758

Is anyone using the mono-plate RCA 2A3s in their Stratus. I have spent a lot on tubes but can't bring myself to spring for a pair of these. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

post #2568 of 2758

I have purchased Stratus no.26 from a local head-fier & am awaiting delivery. have the following rectifiers :

 

Group A (am sure can be used with Stratus) :
Western Electric 422A (with adapter)

Brimar (GEC) U52
RCA 5U4G
Tung Sol 5U4G

EML 5U4G
 

Group B (am not sure if can be used with Stratus) :

Philips (Mullard) GZ34 (metal base)
USAF 596
Cossor Fat Bottle GZ37

Philips 5R4GY
Chatham 5R4WGB

Mullard CV593
RCA 3DG4
GE 3DG4
GM Delco 3DG4
CBS 5AW4

 

Would be grateful if someone can confirm which of the rectifiers from Group B can be used with Stratus ?


Edited by punit - 2/9/16 at 10:35pm
post #2569 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsecret View Post

Is anyone using the mono-plate RCA 2A3s in their Stratus. I have spent a lot on tubes but can't bring myself to spring for a pair of these. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?
RCA Monoplates are way overpriced for what they provide. They're fairly linear-sounding with decent midrange and solid low end but a bit too smooth up top. I prefer the Sophia Princesses and the GE/Sylvania dual flatplates which provide more extension in the top range and sound more detailed.
post #2570 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post
 

I think you have answered the question yourself, with the EML tubes being more taut in bass and less lush sounding. I will enjoy the Shuguang Natural sound tubes with HE1000 if I never hear the EML mesh/solid plates as they are very lush and musical. However, IMO, the EML plates complements HE1000 better as the HE1000 does lack the bite at times compared to other headphones. With the EML tubes, the vocal of HE1000 is cleaner/clearer, more realistic in tonality and the bass is tighter, yet still remains very musical.

 

Thanks - I was just looking for confirmation of my suspicions. 

post #2571 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by drheadphone View Post


RCA Monoplates are way overpriced for what they provide. They're fairly linear-sounding with decent midrange and solid low end but a bit too smooth up top. I prefer the Sophia Princesses and the GE/Sylvania dual flatplates which provide more extension in the top range and sound more detailed.


Thanks for the feedback. You have saved me some money, I'm sure.

post #2572 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post
 

I have purchased Stratus no.26 from a local head-fier & am awaiting delivery. have the following rectifiers :

 

Group A (am sure can be used with Stratus) :
Western Electric 422A (with adapter)

Brimar (GEC) U52
RCA 5U4G
Tung Sol 5U4G

EML 5U4G
 

Group B (am not sure if can be used with Stratus) :

Philips (Mullard) GZ34 (metal base)
USAF 596
Cossor Fat Bottle GZ37

Philips 5R4GY
Chatham 5R4WGB

Mullard CV593
RCA 3DG4
GE 3DG4
GM Delco 3DG4
CBS 5AW4

 

Would be grateful if someone can confirm which of the rectifiers from Group B can be used with Stratus ?

The 422A will work in the Stratus but not correctly even with the adapter. I asked Donald about this a while back and he responded, "I take the high voltage from a center tap of the 5V rectifier filament winding, which is the preferred way to do it with directly heated rectifiers. Plugging in the 422A either as-is or through the adapter will still have a 2.5V loss. To make it correct for the 422A I would have to rewire the amplifier for it, but then it would not be correct for other tubes."

 

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on your Group B tubes as you requested but thought I would mention the 422A issue.

post #2573 of 2758
Just received an Osram U52 and initial impression is that it is superb with the shuguang natural treasures! Thanks to all the recommended it. It's now my go to pairing for the HD800
post #2574 of 2758
Thread Starter 

For those who haven't noticed yet, 

Donald has posted a new webpage announcing the soon-to-be Stellaris

http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Stellaris-2A3-headphone-amplifier.html

Several are already on the waiting list!

 

Also, his Riva Turbo X speaker system receives a glowing review from none other than Robert Harley in the latest TAS March 2016, p 20 ff.

 

CONGRATULATIONS, DONALD !!!

post #2575 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by vc1187 View Post

Just received an Osram U52 and initial impression is that it is superb with the shuguang natural treasures! Thanks to all the recommended it. It's now my go to pairing for the HD800


Way to go. I hear a synergy between those tubes that makes me want to keep on listening. Congrats!

post #2576 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTiger View Post


Way to go. I hear a synergy between those tubes that makes me want to keep on listening. Congrats!

Thanks! I actually think the 6BQ7 driver sounds 'okay' with this combination of tubes. Gives a very pleasing warmth and body to vocals while improving on bass texture over the stock 6n1p. Upon further listening, it makes vocals a little too warm. Stuffy, basically.

I still think the stock 6n1p is more musical :-P
Edited by vc1187 - 2/14/16 at 2:16pm
post #2577 of 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by budx3385 View Post
 

For those who haven't noticed yet, 

Donald has posted a new webpage announcing the soon-to-be Stellaris

http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Stellaris-2A3-headphone-amplifier.html

Several are already on the waiting list!

 

Also, his Riva Turbo X speaker system receives a glowing review from none other than Robert Harley in the latest TAS March 2016, p 20 ff.

 

CONGRATULATIONS, DONALD !!!

Heard the Riva Turbo X at RMAF and it is very worthy of phrase. Will be buying one before summer. Great for travel and hotel rooms at its given size providing something that is as close to an audiophile speaker system in that small of a package. Held it in my hand while playing and the thing is a beast in terms of pounding sound from some hard core magnets. Across the room, it felt/sounded like a regular set of speakers with a nice source. Never heard a player that size sound like that.

 

Thinking back, I think I met Donald too but didn't know about him at the time to talk tubes.

post #2578 of 2758

Except for the WE422A, the rectifiers in Group A are fine, and so are 5U4GB rectifiers.  Stay away from the ones on the bottom, (Group B).  Concentrate on 5U4G/VT244/U52.


Edited by Frihed89 - 2/14/16 at 11:52pm
post #2579 of 2758

Does anyone have any experience with the Marconi U52?

post #2580 of 2758

How many companies actually produced U52 tubes back them? I have done some research and in the end it seems all U52 were made by OSRAM. Was Marconi any different?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions